• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alternates to PC for backing up/sorting photos/music?

Banjo64

cumsessed
Situation is I have a laptop basically for itunes library (high quality cd rips) and my photos throughout the years.

Seems a bit excessive to have this machine that I barely ever need just to make sure I can access my stuff once in a blue moon.

Are there any alternatives?

Only thing I can think of is backing everything up to the cloud photo wise (would need to pay monthly for the 200gb icloud option).

Yerd

It probably depends on how you expect to access and use the data? It sounds like you want to get rid of the laptop.

Just an external hard drive is all you need. But you need a computer to use it.

I'm a PC person, so I always have a computer. I am using just a 2 bay drive cloning device as an "external" drive. All my old hard drives are accessible with this thing, just by switching them out.

But I think you are describing a Network Attached Storage. NAS. It's basically a barebones computer designed to store data and be accessible to your network. You still would need some kind of computer, typically, to set it up. Maybe newer ones can be setup with an app, I don't know. Not a side of tech I keep up on.

QNAP and Synology make nice home NAS servers.

Viz108

Neo Member
Depending on how much you have to store, an external hard drive is probably your best bet. You can get decent ones for $50-$60 typically.
Cloud or NAS .

I got a cheap thumb stick nas for $20, which uses microSD cards and it's been great.
I've never heard of a thumb stick NAS, that's pretty interesting. Normally NASs are pretty overkill for most people, but at that price it could be an option.

Drake

How much data are we talking about here? I have a 4tb portable drive and 2 thumb drives. It gets the job done for me. I do realize that if the 4tb drive dies I lose everything, but anything that is super important (like my keepass database) I keep multiple copies of across different devices.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Thank you for the responses.

I have approx 120gb of music, and probably 100-150gb photos and videos (from memory).

I have everything backed up via SD cards, thumb drives and external SSDs, but as highlighted, I need the laptop to view/amend or add more content.

I’ll have a look at the NAS stuff, but maybe Cloud is my best bet.

Pagusas

Elden Member
So to be clear you want to get rid of having any sort of computer and work completely off your phone?

A NAS would work. Synology preferred.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Thank you for the responses.

I have approx 120gb of music, and probably 100-150gb photos and videos (from memory).

I have everything backed up via SD cards, thumb drives and external SSDs, but as highlighted, I need the laptop to view/amend or add more content.

I’ll have a look at the NAS stuff, but maybe Cloud is my best bet.
Is your goal to just own a switch and a chair? (Ive seen your posts about minimalism lol)

Either way, I would just keep the laptop if you have no other PC in your house, if you have other pcs then it doesnt matter as youll be able to access your external drives. Cloud is a decent choice if you want the stuff available on your phone/tablet.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Is your goal to just own a switch and a chair? (Ive seen your posts about minimalism lol)

Haha, maybe! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

To be honest it’s just about whittling down on excess. If I used my laptop for other stuff, with regularity, I’d just keep it.

I’m not opposed to owning many devices, as long as I can use them! Kids came along and ruined my free time :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Either way, I would just keep the laptop if you have no other PC in your house, if you have other pcs then it doesnt matter as youll be able to access your external drives. Cloud is a decent choice if you want the stuff available on your phone/tablet.
Thank you (y) I’m thinking I will probably have to keep it, might stuff if at the bottom of my wardrobe.

Throwing out a random thought, can a Steam Deck be used in desk top mode to organise external SSD files/SD card files, and can they be stored on the Deck I wonder.

Sleepwalker

Haha, maybe! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

To be honest it’s just about whittling down on excess. If I used my laptop for other stuff, with regularity, I’d just keep it.

I’m not opposed to owning many devices, as long as I can use them! Kids came along and ruined my free time :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Thank you (y) I’m thinking I will probably have to keep it, might stuff if at the bottom of my wardrobe.

Throwing out a random thought, can a Steam Deck be used in desk top mode to organise external SSD files/SD card files, and can they be stored on the Deck I wonder.
Yes you can use the deck to organize files, I've even done some work on mine recently lol. And yeah they can be stored on the deck as well, it's just a linux PC (but you could install windows on it anyway)

Banjo64

cumsessed
Yes you can use the deck to organize files, I've even done some work on mine recently lol. And yeah they can be stored on the deck as well, it's just a linux PC (but you could install windows on it anyway)
Amazing, thank you!

I’ve been on the verge of jumping in anyway, as I’d definitely get use out of a deck. Makes it a no brainier now.

Yerd

An external HD is probably your best bet. Whether you get rid of your laptop or not. You have the data on the drive still. You can access it with the laptop or any PC.

I travel with my laptop to play games and I have a 4tb USB hard drive. Just bought a 5th version of the same one because I ran out of space on the 4. I think that's as big as they get for the smallest size HDD they use. I store mainly movies on it to watch when I don't have internet access.
According to your post, you only have a max of 300-500gb of data. You can buy a 1 or 2tb hard drive. Store it there and be done.

Top Bottom