• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back at NeoGAF to ask for more game recommendations for my 7 year old daughter

Well, since my previous post was a big help I thought I'd come back to NeoGAF for game recommendations. My 7 year old daughter is really starting to get into video games. Based on NeoGAF's recommendation I introduced her to Island Saver. She adored it, loved it, and 100% completed it and its DLCs as of last week. As a natural continuation of that, I will get her Slime Rancher which seems to be a fairly similar game. It's currently on sale on GoG but apparently GoG doesn't have the DLC.. I'm guessing the Spring sale is about a month away, so I'll try to get her to wait for that. I have gone through my Steam and GoG library for other games to show her, but found very little that could of interest:

Dorfromantik
Haven Park
Superflight
Planet Zoo (We have tried this but it is too complex for a 7 year old)
RollerCoaster Tycoon Deluxe
Worms Reloaded
Worms Revolution

After a bit of looking around I came across Alba and Hot Wheels Unleashed, both of which look like they would be great, but that's all I got and I am open to suggestions :) Travelling/riding/flying around the map and discovering new things was her most enjoyable experience but I am also looking to introduce her to new things as well. I am not considering introducing her to multiplayer games at all, at this point. Games that can run on a 2 year old i5 laptop with an IGP would be great (that is her laptop) but she can also use my PCMR battlestation :D

So NeoGAF, show me the way :)

Eimran

When my little brother was that age. I bought him little Big Planet. He loved that and gave him some creativity

Edit: my bad didn't see that you're looking for pc games.

Last edited:

John Bilbo

A Short Hike
Summer in Mara
Horizon Chase Turbo
Minecraft

Edit: If you have a Switch I'd recommend Mario Wonder and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Age of Empires 2 is great for kids, throw that William Wallace campaign at her and see if she likes it!

Also dude:
  • Day of the Tentacle
  • Donut County
  • Kingdom Rush
  • Nuclear Throne
  • Plants vs Zombies

Last edited:

Roberts

I have a 7 year old daughter.

We played that latest Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game and completed it. Sure, it is a beat em up but it is not that violent or brutal. She did pretty well even though mostly relying on button mashing.
We also completed It Takes Two and that was the moment that made me the most proud of her sticking with it until the end. There were a few bits that were a bit too hard for her, but I kind of helped her by sometimes dealing with two gamepads at the same time (No, I don't have four arms or even three)
Recently she played a lot of Figment 1 and 2. tommib tommib recommended Cocoon but I think Figment has puzzles that are a bit easier for 7 year old to understand. Part two is easier than one.

She loved Alba, btw. And that was more than a year ago.

tommib

I have a 7 year old daughter.

We played that latest Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game and completed it. Sure, it is a beat em up but it is not that violent or brutal. She did pretty well even though mostly relying on button mashing.
We also completed It Takes Two and that was the moment that made me the most proud of her sticking with it until the end. There were a few bits that were a bit too hard for her, but I kind of helped her by sometimes dealing with two gamepads at the same time (No, I don't have four arms or even three)
Recently she played a lot of Figment 1 and 2. tommib tommib recommended Cocoon but I think Figment has puzzles that are a bit easier for 7 year old to understand. Part two is easier than one.

She loved Alba, btw. And that was more than a year ago.
Fuck, I loved Alba. One of the great underrated games out there. A delight that gamers don't dig into because of the artwork I guess.

My 7 year old twins:
Started with Mario Maker 2 on Switch. I did not want to introduce them to videogames, but lockdown/covid and working full time, I didn't really know what to do, so that was what I did. Once pandoras box was opened, game was on. Fortunately or unfortunately.

Anyway, after that, a huge swath of nintendo games they dug:

The Kirby games
the Mario games

Now, at 7, well...at xmas I introduced them to Quake and Quake 2 deathmatch, which was a blast
they've played:
ori and the blind forest
Celeste
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Hades
Dead Cells
Pikmin 3 and 4
Minecraft
Lego Fortnite
Lego Star Wars
Bugsnax
Guacamelee 2
Worms Rumble
Spider-man and Miles Morales
Sackboy
Shredder's Revenge
Ratchet and Clank
hotwheels unleashed
Pokemon Sword and Shield
Dave the Diver
Mario kart deluxe
Smash brothers

Probably a lot more, especially Nintendo games.

Last edited:

tommib

My 7 year old twins:
Started with Mario Maker 2 on Switch. I did not want to introduce them to videogames, but lockdown/covid and working full time, I didn't really know what to do, so that was what I did. Once pandoras box was opened, game was on. Fortunately or unfortunately.

Anyway, after that, a huge swath of nintendo games they dug:

The Kirby games
the Mario games

Now, at 7, well...at xmas I introduced them to Quake and Quake 2 deathmatch, which was a blast
they've played:
ori and the blind forest
Celeste
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Hades
Dead Cells
Pikmin 3 and 4
Minecraft
Lego Fortnite
Lego Star Wars
Bugsnax
Guacamelee 2
Worms Rumble
Spider-man and Miles Morales
Sackboy
Shredder's Revenge
Ratchet and Clank
hotwheels unleashed
Pokemon Sword and Shield
Dave the Diver

Probably a lot more, especially Nintendo games.
Dead Cells? Your kids are hardcore. Well done.

winjer

Gold Member
My 8 year old nephew loves the Lego games, especially the Skywalker Saga and Ninjago.
He also loves to drive around in Forza Horizon 5.
And recently, he had a blast screwing around in Goat Simulator 3.

Dead Cells? Your kids are hardcore. Well done.
Yeah they watched me play some of it and thought the weapons were cool, so one of them got super into it. Same with Hades. He played loads of both. The other one is less adventurous, I think he’s kind of scared of hard games, sticks to Minecraft and Minecraft dungeons, Mario kart, etc

I’m not that parent that wants my kids to be clones of me. I’m not pushing this stuff on them, but yeah, I’ll play whatever sometimes and they’ll watch and ask questions, so I’ll tell them why I think it’s cool. I am proud that they like some really cool games, and they like old games, but I’d never criticise them for liking anything they like, or if they don’t like what I like. They like some positively shit music, but I just tell them that’s cool guys, glad you like music. I’ll sometimes load up old ass stuff, like they were really into playing Amiga lemmings with me for a while and solving the puzzles.

Despite being a lifelong video game fan, I actually hid games from them until covid happened and we needed to keep them entertained unsupervised somehow other than just tv.

Last edited:

tommib

Yeah they watched me play some of it and thought the weapons were cool, so one of them got super into it. Same with Hades. He played loads of both. The other one is less adventurous, I think kind of scared of hard games, sticks to Minecraft and Minecraft dungeons, Mario kart, etc

I’m not that parent that wants my kids to be clones of me. I’m not pushing this stuff on them, but yeah, I’ll play whatever sometimes and they’ll watch and ask questions, so I’ll tell them why I think it’s cool. I am proud that they like some really cool games, and they like old games, but I’d never criticise them for liking anything they like, or if they don’t like what I like. They like some positively shit music, but I just tell them that’s cool guys, glad you like music. I’ll sometimes load up old ass stuff, like they were really into playing Amiga lemmings with me for a while and solving the puzzles.

Despite being a lifelong video game fan, I actually hid games from them until covid happened and we needed to keep them entertained unsupervised somehow other than just tv.
Can I be your son?

Can I be your son?
Let's do this, son.
Ice Cube Family GIF by Team Coco

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Wobbly Life(gta for kids)
Lego Worlds
Minecraft
Sackboy
Mario Party games
Just Dance

That's all we play every now and then with my daughter(6y). She likes watching my Zelda sessions too, especially likes shrine puzzles.

Oh, I forgot Human Fall Flat.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

No Man's Sky perhaps? She can explore and fly/ride around all she wants, she can shoot stuff without the game being overly violent (given its very cartoonish and the main enemies are robots, though you can still kill wildlife and such), she can build bases which should be a nice creativity stimulus, and you can play it together with her. There's multiplayer but that can be disabled, and the game is on sale at fanatical (btw i should mention Slime Rancher is too)

The only counter-points i can think of are:
A) Game has management and resource gathering elements but nothing too complex.
B) There's a alien language learning system in the game, meaning at the start all aliens mostly speak giberish until you learn the words, not sure if this would confuse her or not, i imagine it'd be fine as long as you explained whats happening.
C) Its a game that can be played forever essentially, if she really got into it she wouldn't be putting it down any time soon. You could see this as a positive, idk.
D) Its not exactly a low-spec game, but you said that isn't an issue so no prob.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Good co-op experiences together with kids:
Unravel 2
Bang on Balls
It Takes Two
Goat Simulator 3
Moving Out 2 (you can adjust difficulty to make it more zen, sandboxy and relaxed)

Lego City is a great SP game (and other "open-world" Lego games, but the new ones we didn't like that much)

Last edited:
I just introduced my 5 yo twin girls to the SNES classics channel on Switch and they can't get enough of Donkey Kong Country, Kirby and OG Mario Kart. It's a great format for them to try a bunch of games.

Robochobo

My nieces are absolutely enamored with Goat Simulator and Phogs whenever they visit. The Crash Bandicoot trilogy gets played often as well.

At this age my daughter loved:

Dragon Quest Builders 2, Breath of the Wild, Plants vs Zombies (the tower defense style PC game, the old one), SimCity3000, Viva Pinata, Age of Empires / II, and Trine series. Plenty more, but those come to mind immediately.

Age of Empires 2 is great for kids, throw that William Wallace campaign at her and see if she likes it!
Seconded!

Last edited:
Top Bottom