• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon releases 5 new TV pilots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I find it kinda insane how quickly Amazon is churning out pilots. They've got all these, and more are already in production. I know that Cocked show is seemingly shooting right now.

I still haven't watched a single one of their pilots... and I've been a prime member for ages and ages. Given all the TV already available to watch on top of other media to consume, I find it hard to get motivated to watch shows that might never continue.

Wiktor

Good I'm looking forward for Bosch

Same here. Out of all the pilots this I liked the most. Titus is perfect for the role and somehow they managed to give pretty unique indentity to Lost Angeles, different from other shows that take place in this city.

Busty

Banned
Hand of God sounds interesting and Perlman is awesome if the director can handle him.

I have heard that Hand Of God could be the closest thing that Amazon has to a true 'break out' show.

I also hear that Amazon's crippling, tight fisted approach to financing their productions is just as worse as ever if not worse. Some of their previous efforts (Bosch especially though I did like it) last pilot season were bordering on Youtube web series levels of production values.

Zane

Hysteria takes viewers to Austin, Texas where social connection has become contagious. In the pilot, members of a girls’ competitive dance team are stricken with a strange, psycho-physiological illness that manifests itself in violent fits and spasms and then begins spreading in the community through technology.

So, tumblr the show

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So, tumblr the show

iiOh4cdf4TJx3.gif

- Flavourwire on the pilots

Red Oaks
Out of the three comedy pilots this season, Red Oaks is the best. It is a blend of familiar territory: a coming-of-age story, an ’80s period piece, a summer comedy set at a suburban job, a reflection on a parent’s health scare, etc. Yet it does a fine job of bringing together these elements to craft something sweet and funny.
It’s the most broad and accessible of the five new Amazon pilots but, unlike last season’s The Rebels, this actually works for the show instead of against it.
Really
With Jay Chandrasekhar at the helm and a solid cast that includes Sarah Chalke, Selma Blair, and Lindsay Sloane, Really should be the Amazon newcomer to watch. But this is an iffy pilot, at best.
Still, Chandrasekhar’s writing skills, particularly when it comes to dialogue, help to sell the ideas. It’s not as immediately good as Red Oak, but Really has the most promise.
Hand of God
2014 rule: Every network, even the online streaming sites, must put out at least one prestige drama. Hand of God is Amazon’s.
The pilot is solid but it’s also overstuffed and oddly paced at times. There are a handful of really good (and visually cool) moments and the show has, at its core, a thoroughly engaging premise — but it’s hard to shake the desperation. It is desperate to be prestigious and important and golden. It wants you to know that this show deserves recaps and acclaims and Emmys. The show is saying something — but it is not always saying something worth listening to.
Hysteria
Truth be told, it’s kind of a mess, but it’s a fun mess, especially if you like ridiculous horror tropes.
The Cosmopolitans
The Cosmopolitans is one of those cases where I can fully understand a show’s appeal, but also understand that it’s not a show for me.
The Cosmopolitans is beautiful to look at (both the setting and the actors), and has a nice rhythm and a sweet sense of humor, but I drifted off so much watching it that I had to restart it multiple times.
Maybe The Cosmopolitans is a sophisticated romantic-comedy from Whit Stillman or maybe it’s just an empty story with a blanket romantic setting. Time will tell, if it’s even picked up (I’m sure it will be), but I have no interest in finding out.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Good to hear about Red Oaks. It was the only one I had any interest in even if it was purely because I love period shows.

I'm really sick of the way Amazon does this. They need to have some confidence and release whole series. I feel like this is the 3rd or 4th time I'm watch-voting and still haven't seen anything from rounds ago.

Busty

Banned

This bunch already looks so much better than anything Amazon has done to date. Though Hysteria is supposed to be garbage the rest of it looks pretty interesting.

Though in saying that I cannot conceive of a situation where Hysteria is worse than Chris Carter's The After. That remains the worst pilot I have seen in years. Horrible in every possible way.

Hope Hand of God goes well, love Garret Dillahunt!

Garret Dillahunt should have his own show on Amazon, not playing second fiddle.

Pffft.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I still have some of the other set of Amazon pilots sitting in my watch list, untouched. I managed to finish The After though, didn't really grab me. Seemed like another one of those "Me too" heavy mythology shows that popped up when Lost was huge.

I added this entire new set to my list though. Hopefully I'll find some time to rub through then. Gotta give Amazon credit for pushing so many out, just have yet to see anything of value come out of so many pilots, yet Netflix has struck gold pretty easily.

I think the reason space based sci-fi is brought up in this discussion is because Amazon and Netflix both have the ability to appeal to viewers that mainstream tv is ignoring. Netflix are very good at what they do, but most of Amazon's pilots seem hugely unoriginal... There is no hook that would make me drop a channel in favour of Amazon. I certainly wouldn't drop Netflix in favour of Amazon.

I got a chance to see Really a few weeks ago. It's a little rough around the edges, but it has some potential. I like Chandrasekhar and Chalke as the two leads. My biggest problem, which is typical for sitcoms, is that they're trying to introduce a lot of characters in a half hour, so some of the peripheral players come off as a little two-dimensional.

Wiktor

I think the reason space based sci-fi is brought up in this discussion is because Amazon and Netflix both have the ability to appeal to viewers that mainstream tv is ignoring. Netflix are very good at what they do, but most of Amazon's pilots seem hugely unoriginal... There is no hook that would make me drop a channel in favour of Amazon. I certainly wouldn't drop Netflix in favour of Amazon.

Yeah, some fantastic series seems like a no brainer for Amazon. They made a pretty big deal out of the Bosch pilot because it will allow them to leverage their book fans, so a tv series based on some popular fantasy/sf/urban fantay series would propably do very well for them.

Not

Banned
Pass on just about everything. I might give Really a shot due to the PoC lead and Sarah Chalke.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I think I lost 10 IQ points just reading the synopsis of Hysteria, I can't imagine how awful it'd be to watch a whole episode.

Amazon ordered 4 of them to series: The After, Bosch, Transparent and Mozart in the Jungle.
First two will air in 2015, other two later this year.

The After, Bosch and Mozart in the Jungle were some of the WORST television I've seen in a long, long time. Vile stuff.

Transparent was charming, so I look forward to that.

ivysaur12

Banned
God. The After was so bad.

Hand of God is supposed to be good (and their no brainer pickup). I'm interested in their comedies, too, but we'll see. Those seem like they're going to be a bit more hit or miss.

And I think I might just skip Hysteria unless I hear some amazing things about it.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Just checked out the three comedy pilots, and the quality is so much better this year.

I wouldn't mind all three getting picked up, but I'd order them:

1. Red Oaks. Adventureland, the series. Though, hard to sympathize with a protagonist that has everything he wants (but I want more!), any conflict that does arise explodes harmlessly like pop rocks.

2. Really. The second coming of Thirtysomething. What's with Jay's obsession with bj's?

3. The Cosmopolitans. Entourage meets the "Before..." films. If you enjoy Stillman's dry humor, you'll find the same brand here. Perhaps the best production values of the three, certainly the prettiest cast. But also the emptiest characters...

They're all a bit bland. A lot of them seem like tweaked versions of Netflix original series.
Speaking of which, Lillyhammer is the shit.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
I should subscribe to legit Prime over the student one. I really like how Amazon has the consumer choose which pilots get made and I would like access to Instant video.

I liked Red Oaks. Not mindblowing, but i liked all of the main cast, i like country club setting very much and 80's adds charm. Will watch it if they'll order it.
Hand of God is good, Perlman is amazing, but it's very religious, so i most likely won't watch it.
Also color timing on both pilots are off, why everything is so bright?

ivysaur12

Banned
I just finished into The Cosmopolitans: Why do I care? This is the essence petty, white people problems: None of this is compelling because none of this story is portrayed in any way that makes me sympathetic or at least interested in the world view of these character, or some sort of commentary on an attempt at living a bougie, expat life of ones dreams. It's just… sort of there, hollow. It's a hollow, silly thing that doesn't say anything of note.

This is like Transparent was on HBO on got a bunch of huge awards and Starz tried to make their own version of it and here it is.

EDIT: God, fuck, what was that. I'm actually more angry the more I think about it. What the FUCK was that?!

From reading a few reviews I'd say the consensus is something like this:

Red Oaks consistently near the top of the list, Hysteria near the bottom and Really, mostly mildly positive.

As for the Cosmopolitans and Hand of God, there is absolutely no consensus. I have seen both listed 1st and 5th on multiple lists.

Wiktor

Hand of God was great, especially since
it's strongly suggested he really is getting orders from God, which is much more intriguing premise than just being crazy.
. Reminds me a lot of Frailty, which I love to death. Hope they will pick this up.

So I'm guessing Red Oaks, Hand of God and the Cosmopolitans are odds on for a pick up, Hysteria unlikely and Really a toss up? Would you agree?

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Okay, both dramas suck.

Hysteria did manage to get the biggest laugh out of me, Mena Suvari as an out-of-towner laying naked on top of a made bed(?), the red neon glow of a sign that simply says "HOTEL" outside her window. The shot/scene was obviously included just because the show is rated M, but a no-nudity clause makes it pointless, as Mena's arms and legs cover all the naughty bits. And why is this renowned Houston doctor spending the night in a sleazy hotel room from an 80's music video?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Really was pretty OK to me. It was shot in such a way that I knew something was wrong from the beginning, so I spent most of the pilot expecting the light-hearted banter and seen-it-before situations to lead to one of the characters getting murdered or something. Then, when the pivot point finally happens (around where Luka Jones is pouring wine on his carpet because he's clearly way too drunk) I thought everything was suitably off the rails afterwards. I'd like to see more of this. Good cast, looked nice, felt modern.

The Cosmopolitans was weaker. It was very nicely shot, looked great (loved the stylized opening and closing credits), but I don't feel like it made good use of its time to say anything. I'm not someone who needs plot or even characterization, but I didn't get much thematically either. It was hard to say what the writer/director was trying to get at--was he saying something about Paris? About class? About quarter-life crises? There were occasional moments that felt like they verged on the author's experiences as a "Parisian"--the emphasis on the wine choosing at the cafe scene and then the close-up of the creme de cassis... and none of the characters really seemed to set themselves apart. The most interesting tease was Chloe Sevegny's character, who came off as enigmatic in an interesting way, but they spent so much of the time on the four males that I never got much of a hook to want to come back. I feel like they were aiming for something like Before Sunrise or Woody Allen or something, but I don't think they got there.

Hysteria was bad. First, I need to complain about one thing--are the budgets for these shows low as hell? I don't think there was a single B unit / establishing shot here that wasn't CG. It was awful looking. And then the shot of her with the dead CG tree? Ghastly. I rolled my eyes at the opening admonition that the show was based on real events. It isn't and it's embarrassing that there are people out there dumb enough to imagine that it would be. I did like the scene of the teen girls in the truck, which felt sort of true to life. But that's about all I could say positively. I hate the depiction of seizures on TV, they look so phony. Mena Suvari's damaged savant genius doctor character felt so stale. Another terrible shot was Mena Suvari, nude but covered up, sleeping on top of the blankets in a cheap hotel room. What the hell. From early on the lingering camera shots on anything with a screen make it clear that the central twist is going to be some Ring or Pulse thing about the perils of communication or whatever but when the big reveal finally happens at 48 minutes in, it's embarrassing how badly it comes across. Again, the thematic elements were very half-baked. Okay, so the authors are very concerned about mass media coverage, the changing nature of communication, whatever. There's very little allegorical value here. Probably the only character that I thought really seemed at all interesting was the one of the two gay dads who was clearly a chronic Googler wannabe expert. But what is the show really saying? Meh.

Of the three, I think all three are probably salvageable (Hysteria only to the standard of TV horror, which is roundly terrible, but it's easy to imagine this being better than, say, The Following) but only Really actually hooked me.

What I thought about the last five Amazon pilots (I felt that all five of them could be made into workable shows)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=100563851&postcount=307
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=100889342&postcount=313

I guess I'll watch the other two today or tomorrow and then rank all of the pilots so far. Thinking back, I'm surprised at how little I remember of that first original batch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom