• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon to buy Whole Foods for $13.7 billion cash

I have a job interview with Whole Foods monday

ill be sure to mention I'm a prime subscriber

Isn't Whole Foods a pretty good place to work for while Amazon is a pretty bad place to work for? I wonder what Whole Foods employees think about this.

oh yeah about that.. whoops

rrs

Would be cool if Amazon also bought Sears/ Kmart and rebuilt them.
I doubt amazon would buy the brands, or stores as it's much more likely amazon will attack in ways that make high profit margins than join a low margin race to the bottom

Would be cool if Amazon also bought Sears/ Kmart and rebuilt them.
Sears and Kmart need to die. Please dont let Amazon prolong their death. They've been on the verge for years. Worst is when Sears and Kmart fusion ha'd into the least powerful big box ever. I loved those places as a kid, but they cant keep up in todays world and have to go.

samar11

So there has been a lot of Amazon in the news here in Australia. Its coming and retail sector / grocery should be afraid etc. I mean its already here anyway so I dont get it? Do they mean having stores?

So there has been a lot of Amazon in the news here in Australia. Its coming and retail sector / grocery should be afraid etc. I mean its already here anyway so I dont get it? Do they mean having stores?

I think mainly due to more items being available online locally. Buying TV's and so fourth.

Grocery stores is also on the cards.

Hydrus

Sears and Kmart need to die. Please dont let Amazon prolong their death. They've been on the verge for years. Worst is when Sears and Kmart fusion ha'd into the least powerful big box ever. I loved those places as a kid, but they cant keep up in todays world and have to go.

I want to see Amazon build brick and mortar stores. Sell clothing, appliances, TV's, furniture, tools, etc... As much as I love to buy stuff and having it shipped to my door step, things like that are hard to buy off the site and are better bought in person. Buying Sears/ Kmart and using existing retail space would be the easiest and cheapest way to do that. Plus they would get signature brands like Craftsman.

rrs

I want to see Amazon build brick and mortar stores. Sell clothing, appliances, TV's, furniture, tools, etc... As much as I love to buy stuff and having it shipped to my door step, things like that are hard to buy off the site and are better bought in person. Buying Sears/ Kmart and using existing retail space would be the easiest and cheapest way to do that. Plus they would get signature brands like Craftsman.
Craftsmen got sold to stanley a few months ago lol. Everything of worth is getting piecemealed off before the company goes belly up and the names are picked up for cheap

People are under estimating Microsoft?

Amazon, MS and GOOG are going to be the most valuable in coming years. These will be the companies powering backend infrastructure OF EVERYTHING. Your devices, Homes, offices, hospitals, self driving cars.

Future of Apple is a question mark, beyond iPhone and a premium brand they don't have much of a growth. Not that they won't exist lol but they will be distant 4th

Yeah i guess i did, didnt think about Microsoft, jeez at leaving them out. Yeah they are big at data and so on now.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Playing individual stocks is a great way lose your money. This thread is amusing.

It is also great way to make money. Not everyone likes to invest in index fund alone.

I have 60/40 split index/standalone companies

Steel

Banned
Playing individual stocks is a great way lose your money. This thread is amusing.

Not really, just don't sell at a loss and don't put all your money in one place. I've gotten better return on my stock portfolio than my mutual funds. Especially amazon, I've owned it for a long while now.

FyreWulff

So looks like...

They bought Whole Paycheck? So is the plan to just use the infrastructure and convert Whole Foods into a reskinned Walmart?

... called it!

https://news.slashdot.org/story/17/06/19/1436244/amazon-plans-cuts-to-shed-whole-foods-pricey-image

When Amazon.com Inc. completes its acquisition of Whole Foods Market Inc., Chief Executive Officer Jeff Bezos will try to keep the grocer’s reputation for premium fresh foods while cutting prices to shed its “Whole Paycheck” image.

Amazon expects to reduce headcount and change inventory to lower prices and make Whole Foods competitive with Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and other big-box retailers, according to a person with knowledge of the company’s grocery plans. That included potentially using technology to eliminate cashiers. An Amazon spokesman denied any job cuts were planned.

Amazon, known for its competitive prices, is trying to attract more low- and middle-income shoppers with its grocery push. The Seattle-based company already offers discounted Amazon Prime memberships for people receiving government assistance and is part of a pilot program to deliver groceries to food-stamp recipients.

Acorn

Sounds like a great way for them to lose their shopping demographic, to be honest. Quality service and above average product is the only reason I go there.
I wonder if they'll be more focused on deliveries than Brick and mortar retail. Just use whole foods for name recognition.

I wonder if they'll be more focused on deliveries than Brick and mortar retail. Just use whole foods for name recognition.

Maybe that is their goal. Honestly though, there are so many food delivery options if you live in a major city that I can't really see people switching if they haven't already. For me, who is a food and cooking enthusiast, I really can't picture not going to the market regularly. It's a lot harder to see what quality fresh, in-season produce is available to cook with if you're doing the online thing. I cook what's in season and cheap, and seeing piles of fresh asparagus, beets, or zucchini in early summer gets my cooking creativity going. Unless they drastically change online storefronts to be more complimentary to that sort of thing I can't see myself changing.

Rep. Ro Khanna has brought up potential antitrust issues with the purchase but the market apparently doesn't think there's any bite, Amazon's stock broke $1000/share today

crazy

Sulik2

Yeah, they wanted the property leases more than anything. Whole Foods has some really prime locations and Amazon reportedly expects to face significant planning resistance rolling out their own stores because they're Amazon.

This is going to be the first major replacement of service jobs with automation in the USA that the average person is going to see. A fully automated checkout experience without needing to manually scans items would be a huge improvement for the customer. Sucks all the jobs about to be lost though.

This is going to be the first major replacement of service jobs with automation in the USA that the average person is going to see. A fully automated checkout experience without needing to manually scans items would be a huge improvement for the customer. Sucks all the jobs about to be lost though.

Whole foods bags for you though. I'd rather have bagging service than automatic checkout.

Future

Whole foods bags for you though. I'd rather have bagging service than automatic checkout.

All groceries near me already have automatic check out. The problem isn't the bagging but the taking out the cart, scanning and then bagging

If amazon pulls off what's in their video then all I have to do is take an item on the shelf and put it in a bag in my cart. I walk out and shit gets charged instantly and I just go to my car

If that happens you literally need no one in the store service wise but security and a few helpers to direct people to correct aisles. Sucks for job but this is a future I am into

All groceries near me already have automatic check out. The problem isn't the bagging but the taking out the cart, scanning and then bagging

If amazon pulls off what's in their video then all I have to do is take an item on the shelf and put it in a bag in my cart. I walk out and shit gets charged instantly and I just go to my car

If that happens you literally need no one in the store service wise but security and a few helpers to direct people to correct aisles. Sucks for job but this is a future I am into

Yeah, I've seen the video, I just don't think it's more convenient than having someone bag for me. If you want things properly bagged you need to wait until you're finish shopping as you don't know what order to put things in the bags (delicate things on top, heavy on bottom, raw meats separate from prepared food, etc). Taking it off the shelf and putting it in the bag is not optimal, especially if you change your mind on something and want to put it back. If I'm running in the store for a single item it sounds great. If I'm not, then it's not really all that advantageous. Maybe they'll just have baggers working in the stores, but that's not really going to reduce headcount.

Something I forget from the video, but how are they handling product sold by weight? Since I buy almost no pre-packaged product am I going to have to weigh it all myself?

acksman

Has anyone tried Jet.com's grocery delivery? I broke my foot and ordered ~$75 worth of food, including ice cream and other frozen stuff.

It cost me $5 to ship 100+ lbs of food. Very nice.

WalMart owns Jet.com now, bought them for 3.3B. Was a move to compete against Amazon obviously. Will see how the integration goes.

Future

Yeah, I've seen the video, I just don't think it's more convenient than having someone bag for me. If you want things properly bagged you need to wait until you're finish shopping as you don't know what order to put things in the bags (delicate things on top, heavy on bottom, raw meats separate from prepared food, etc). Taking it off the shelf and putting it in the bag is not optimal, especially if you change your mind on something and want to put it back. If I'm running in the store for a single item it sounds great. If I'm not, then it's not really all that advantageous. Maybe they'll just have baggers working in the stores, but that's not really going to reduce headcount.

Something I forget from the video, but how are they handling product sold by weight? Since I buy almost no pre-packaged product am I going to have to weigh it all myself?

Once grocery totes became a thing, I had gotten used to simply putting groceries directly in the bag myself. For me usually I'm shopping from a list so I know exactly what I'm gonna get, so I can match the colds, produce, etc pretty well ahead of time.

I don't know about weight. Since grocery stores always have scales near items sold by weight I'd imagine there would be some teched out version that lets me weigh it myself and get the value added immediately.

I'm glad Amazon is doing this. They forced brick and mortar stores to get with the times by allowing online purchasing. It's time to do the same with groceries. Grocery shopping has been the same for too long, the only advancements being online delivery and self checkout. Gimme some tech

Welp Amazon is going to ruin Whole Foods now. Cutting headcount and slashing prices to compete with Walmart is not what the Whole Foods brand is about.

VPhys

Welp Amazon is going to ruin Whole Foods now. Cutting headcount and slashing prices to compete with Walmart is not what the Whole Foods brand is about.

There's a reason they went with a premium brand, and it wasn't to complete with Walmart on pricing.

Hydrus

Just buy one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ENCRP44/?tag=neogaf0e-20
61s3rOgSD9L._SL1192_.jpg

Top Bottom