• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD CFO blames lower console sales demand for muted financial results, strong demand for latest Ryzen mobile & desktop processor

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Quite the cope indeed šŸ˜€
It's perfectly aligns with both Sony and MS financial outlook for this year (slightly down for Sony and constant double-digit decline for MS), you just need to read the fine print instead of fanboying in gaming forums.

Mr Moose

ā€œIf you look at gaming, demand has been quite weak. Thatā€™s well known. Also [they have] inventory issues. We guided down more than 30% in the first and second quarters, and the second half will be lower than the first half. That is how we are looking for the gaming business this year,ā€ Hu said.
Doesn't blame consoles, doesn't even mention them, chart shows their gaming GPUs are down (includes consoles and handhelds and anything else that uses them). Pure clickbait.
amd-q1.jpg

ā€œIf you look at gaming, demand has been quite weak. Thatā€™s well known. Also [they have] inventory issues. We guided down more than 30% in the first and second quarters, and the second half will be lower than the first half. That is how we are looking for the gaming business this year,ā€ Hu said.
Doesn't blame consoles, doesn't even mention them, chart shows their gaming GPUs are down (includes consoles and handhelds and anything else that uses them). Pure clickbait.

Consoles are most of the Gaming revenue. The PS5 alone was doing well over a billion a quarter in revenue. Course most of that money is going straight to TSMC.

Ozriel

M$FT
It's perfectly aligns with both Sony and MS financial outlook for this year (slightly down for Sony and constant double-digit decline for MS), you just need to read the fine print instead of fanboying in gaming forums.

Again, itā€™s the same pool. Anyone with $499 In hand who isnā€™t buying an xbox is (ideally) buying a PS5. A dramatic decline in one should lead to a visible uptick in the other, not a ā€˜smaller declineā€™.

You just need to apply common sense vs fanboying in gaming forums.

Three

Its what happens when you stop doing exclusives. It only gonna get worse from here on out for xbox and PlayStation.
Sony just had an exclusive launch this Thursday and one the month before that too. This isn't really about exclusives at all but just the market seeing a YoY decline especially with shortages last year coming to an end.

Three

Clickbait.
Yep just had a chance to read the entire article and the framing of this thread doesn't match the source article headline at all and the source article doesn't have a quote from the AMD CFO just blaming consoles at all. The CFO blames "Gaming" being down a lot referring to both PC GPU sales and semicustom sales (consoles) being down as a whole. Arthands had to really try and push the console angle though.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Yep just had a chance to read the entire article and the framing of this thread doesn't match the source article headline at all and the source article doesn't have a quote from the AMD CFO just blaming consoles at all. The CFO blames "Gaming" being down a lot referring to both PC GPU sales and semicustom sales (consoles) being down as a whole. Arthands had to really try and push the console angle though.
#sonytoo

DonkeyPunchJr

Worldā€™s Biggest Weeb
There's so many reasons for the decline and it's going to continue as no one is creating anything to be hyped about.

My thoughts on why console gaming is declining.

- massive overly padded games that are all based around ubisoft open world. Even exclusives from platform holders have followed this awful design.

- go woke go broke?

- cost of hardware.

- poor delivery on quality titles from Microsoft.

- Sony being far too quiet this gen on anything.

- this above and other reasons. Kids/ teens don't give a shit about consoles.

- studios not aiming games at the right demographic.

This has all lead to abundance of stock piling up at retail and purchases on new stock being cut back.
Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Plus the big AAA games are safe, same-y, woke, ā€œHollywood blockbusterā€ style cross-gen shit that takes way too long to develop.

Iā€™m about as excited for Sony/MSā€™s big ā€œmegatonā€ game announcements as I am for the latest Disney/Marvel trailer.

Bry0

Semi custom slowing down because consoles and deck are in that point of the life cycle where it does that. RDNA 3 was also a massive flop.

One of these days they need a halo product to really make some hype for PC. Until then they will not have the relevance they need. Itā€™s so frustrating because there was a point in time where I was a ATi guy all the way.

Three

Semi custom slowing down because consoles and deck are in that point of the life cycle where it does that. RDNA 3 was also a massive flop.

One of these days they need a halo product to really make some hype for PC. Until then they will not have the relevance they need. Itā€™s so frustrating because there was a point in time where I was a ATi guy all the way.
The last time I was an ATI guy was when their halo product had to have 2 GPUs on one card to take the performance crown. I went all out with 2 Radeon 3870x2 in SLI. Ended up ditching one of them then became frustrated by the linux driver support for the one I kept. Left a sour taste in my mouth regarding ATI cards after that.

Not only Console sales are flat but it is pretty much same for Nvidia as well.

Console and PC hardware sales are driven by Software and times moves on Applications are not catching up with Hardware innovation pace.

A person who is using RTX 2070 Super who bought this GPU in 2018, even after six year he can play current games or upcoming better than PS5 or on Par. So why he would upgrade if there is substantial upgrade in Graphics.

StereoVsn

Like someone already alluded too. PRICE...
The PS5 and Xbox Series X consoles are not prices at "average Jane and Joe" impulse buying prices yet.
In fact in many places the price is HIGHER then when they were released.

Itā€™s crazy that Series X still retails $800 here in Australia. PS4 was $450 on launch

seriously. why hasn't there been a price drop for next gen systems yet? that would increase sales... :(
Yeah, I think high price of the consoles (that would have usually significantly dropped by now) coupled with high price of games is a partial cause of this.

$500+ price, which could be much higher depending on currency and taxes depending on locality. Then you have $70+ games (ā‚¬80, $100 in AU and close to that in CA).

Considering inflation impact on a lot of households, coupled with slowdown in global economy, itā€™s no wonder console sales are down.

Although it canā€™t be all regarding economic conditions as console sales did alright in 2008-2010 after a deep global recession.

AGRacing

How do you plan to do that? I have been tinkering with emulation on Retroid Pocket 4 Pro myself
I was looking seriously at that. One of the games I was really interested in playing was Need for Speed Underground 1 and 2. I saw a video that showed some trouble on the R4P on those titlesā€¦ but these things are always improvingā€¦

Odin 2 seemed like a great option for everything. I will pull the trigger on something eventually.

For now I play them on PC.

Woopah

Both PS5 and Xbox Series are likely passed their peak, but PS5 at least should decline gradually. There's still a lot of interest in PlayStation.

This.... soooooo much this.
New audience dosent give a shit about video games (only mobile) and (outside japan) they stopped making games to appease the supposed biggest targeted player audience ( 20-50 straight males)

Now days I feel like Im always playing as some girl boss who talks to much and has questionable beauty standards. I remember a sony or e3 direct some years ago when I counted 8 of 10 games with female leads ...something like stellar blade is awsome but more and more western games feels like they arent made for me ... they are for some audience that dosent seems to exist

Edit: and freacking open world bloated snoozefest ... this plague just ruin perfect good games/franchises .. looking at you Elden Ring!
About half the world are women so the audience definitely exists. A report from Circana said 52% of Switch owners were women for example.

Klosshufvud

How is 25% drop "slightly down"? They are predicting 4.6M shipped for this quarter when they shipped 6.1M last quarter.

Also no surprise the corporate shill Matt Pishitella is at the scene now to damage control.

feynoob

The implosion of hype from Starfield probably still has gravity waves travel through each quarters and reverberate all the way to andromeda galaxy. When youā€™re expected to be THE game that defines almost a gen and you fumble, it has huge impacts.
MS this gen took the gas off and killed their marketing department. You cant expect sales to go up, when your marketing department is in the gutter.

Starfield was doomed to fail, because MS didnt bother to market the game at all like how Sony does. Even if the game was 90s, it would not have done anything. Marketing matters alot.

Woopah

How is 25% drop "slightly down"? They are predicting 4.6M shipped for this quarter when they shipped 6.1M last quarter.

Also no surprise the corporate shill Matt Pishitella is at the scene now to damage control.
The final quarter of their last fiscal year will primarily be down due to this quarter in 2023 being the end of PS5 shortages.

This current fiscal year shouldn't be down 25% overall.

feynoob

I wonder how putting PS5 games on PC would affect Sony in the long run.

I am currently not interested in both gen, since my PC is getting their games (day1-1year delay). No need to invest in another platform aside of switch 2.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I was looking seriously at that. One of the games I was really interested in playing was Need for Speed Underground 1 and 2. I saw a video that showed some trouble on the R4P on those titlesā€¦ but these things are always improvingā€¦

Odin 2 seemed like a great option for everything. I will pull the trigger on something eventually.

For now I play them on PC.

I didn't know that. My Retroid Pocket 4 Pro just arrived and I have only tried Resident Evil 3 on it so far. I'll experiment it around

Danknugz

The last time I was an ATI guy was when their halo product had to have 2 GPUs on one card to take the performance crown. I went all out with 2 Radeon 3870x2 in SLI. Ended up ditching one of them then became frustrated by the linux driver support for the one I kept. Left a sour taste in my mouth regarding ATI cards after that.
my experience with both ati and amd has been primarily one of pain, confusion, frustration, and disappointment

Three

my experience with both ati and amd has been primarily one of pain, confusion, frustration, and disappointment
Do you want to know the worst part? the two cards in crossfire (Quad GPUs) sometimes performed worse than a single card (dual GPUs) in games or at best only gave 5fps extra. I mainly bought it because I was developing on Geant4 and openGL and thought I could get a really powerful workstation going but the linux drivers were catastrophic.

Last edited:

Danknugz

Do you want to know the worst part? the two cards in crossfire (Quad GPUs) sometimes performed worse than a single card (dual GPUs) in games or at best only gave 5fps extra. I mainly bought it because I was developing on Geant4 and openGL and thought I could get a really powerful workstation going but the linux drivers were catastrophic.
sounds like a driver issue as the cards themselves clearly had the horsepower to attain more than just 5fps. i'm not familiar with how crossfire works but nvidia sli worked by having one card draw every other line. last time i ran more than one slotted gpu was with voodoo2s in sli , at the time they were 3d cards only and i actually had to run a third card just to draw 2d windows, at that time i think it was win9x. i used to run quake2 at 1280x1024 / 60fps with occasional drops, definitely was not possible with just one, but i think it was the openGL driver.

TNT Sheep

If I have to speak for myself. I still think it's too expensive for the exclusive games that are on offer. I have a capable PC already, so there is just no need for it. I'll probably buy a PS5 right around the time Monster Hunter Wilds launches, so I can play multiplayer with friends.

As for the Series X I would only use that for its backwards compatibility...

Hudo

I wonder how putting PS5 games on PC would affect Sony in the long run.
If they're planning on using their live-service games as a Trojan horse to get people to sign up for their online ecosystem, it will most likely be successful.

I don't think the number of people who've actively chosen not to buy a PS5 because the games are on PC is negligible (and always was). But Console warriorz obviously don't recognize that they're a retarded vocal minority and will keep spreading FUD.

nial

Gold Member
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, consoles are most of the revenue. AMD was doing well over a billion in revenue a quarter with just PS5 alone.
Over what period, though? Q1/Q2 2023 when PS5 was finally getting out of stock shortages?

kiphalfton

I mean... who's to blame...GenZ and capitalism? or is it just that the economy sucks and from one the demand is not there and the other cant reduce the cost of its console. you decide.

Hey I like blaming GenZ and capitalism just as much as the next person... but let's call a spade a spade; it's the lack of first party games.

magnumpy

the economy is bad, well the consumer economy anyway. big businesses are doing generally great. it's our own fault for not being billion dollar corporations :(

I guess the eagerness of people who want top notch stuff and are willing to pay more for that is bigger than ever. 4090 did do well, right? But the average gamer does not see much benefit in a comparably outdated PS5 and is quite happy with PS4 and their dated 1080, so at least would need a big price reduction to be convinced to finally get a PS5 or a proper actually mid priced 4080, ie 299 for either or something. There seems to be a growing gap between big spender early adopters and cheapass Jo Schmos. A PS5 is probably already more in between than actually expensive, with inflation considered it is probably actually cheap, but the number is just not the same as PS1, 2 and 4 had as their price tags.

Top Bottom