• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

And lo, the thrift store gods did today smile upon me.

I'm sure Olimario will come in here and say something derogatory, seeing as how I tore down his antiquing thread the other day. But hell, today just kept going right for me. My parents are in town, so I brought them by a couple of thrift stores in the area.

We get a surprising amount of old games dumped at Goodwill around here, actually. But more often than not it's ultra-common stuff. Going in today, I saw a buncha stuff for $4 each, but it was all crap -- Gyromite, Pro Wrestling, Ikari Warriors, Bases Loaded, etc.

(Good games, and I don't have some of them, but the Classic Gaming Expo is coming up, and if I really wanted those games I could get them there cheaper than Goodwill sells them. Which is kind of ridiculous.)

Of course, I also know to check out the VHS tape section, because they're kind of retarded and will put boxed NES games in there. Lo and behold, a mint/complete Three Stooges for $2.

Coming back around the side of the bin, I saw a loose NES game buried in the pile that I had missed. I figured it was common. It sort of was, except it was Donkey Kong 3, which rates a 3 in the DP guide, and I didn't have it. (Upon further inspection I don't have Ikari Warriors, although I have the rarer sequels. Huh.)

But that was nothing compared to THE GLASS SHOWCASE, where they had put some Genesis games. Again, mostly ultra-common stuff not anywhere NEAR worth the $6.99 they wanted for each. But then I saw it, right on the end.

Herzog Zwei.

Mint. Complete. Five bucks. Not a heart-stopping moment, but it's an R5 and DP lists for $30. Win.

In the second store we stopped in, they actually had a complete Leisure Suit Larry 1 for $4 (with the official hint book!) but I already have it; they had complete King's Quest II and III as well. What turned out to be a jackpot was the book section: they had a first edition of Carter Beats The Devil for $4 and a Dave Barry paperback which, on closer inspection, turned out to be signed. $1.

People of San Francisco: please continue to throw away your valuables!

aoi tsuki

Good deal on the complete HZ.

i bought two MSX carts for a dollar each because i convinced the guy they were Atari games. i had to think depressing thoughts to keep myself from laughing and screwing up the deal, though i have no idea if they even work considering i don't have an MSX.

I have like... fifteen MSX games that I bought from a flea market in Japan. Probably $20 for all of them. Bomberman's in there. Sadly I never bought an MSX. Hmmm... maybe that's a project for Tokyo Game Show?

nah

mCACGj

Classic Gaming Expo? When and where is this taking place?

Nice finds though, I saw someone buy a Super Nintendo for $5(no wires or anything) as I walked into my thrift store. I was pretty bummed out, but they have some pretty interesting stuff. Suprisingly a lot of Game Gear games.

Kobun, you live in SF? What were the names of these stores you were in? I just moved up to Berkeley and am gonna be going into the city some time in the next few days, this could give me something to do. (Right, like there's a shortage of things to do in SF. :p )

WordAssassin said:
Kobun, you live in SF? What were the names of these stores you were in? I just moved up to Berkeley and am gonna be going into the city some time in the next few days, this could give me something to do. (Right, like there's a shortage of things to do in SF. :p )
Uh, no, I live in... uh... um... Toledo.

NOBODY POACH MY HUNTING GROUNDS! I CALLED DIBS

You really are a shit.

:)

Actually, I really need to find AV cables for my Dreamcast, so if you know of anywhere that'd have them in the SF/Berkeley area, that'd be really awesome and I'd maybe bake you some cookies.

(Note: Cookies might actually be store-bought and simply put on a fancy plate)

Treefrog

My Goodwill only carries the usual crap. During the N64 days, however, I managed to pick up a couple of okay games.

Yeah, just saw it. I was kidding though, I'd just watched Brass Eye's peadophelia special and that line was fresh in my mind. :D

"Please, if you have any information on this man, call us. He really is a shit." :lol

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
WordAssassin said:
Actually, I really need to find AV cables for my Dreamcast, so if you know of anywhere that'd have them in the SF/Berkeley area, that'd be really awesome and I'd maybe bake you some cookies.

(Note: Cookies might actually be store-bought and simply put on a fancy plate)
Do they still carry DC stuff at EB? because there are two of them in Berkeley, which was ultra weird at first. You can check the goodwill on University but I never saw games there any of the times I went.

Check the Ashby Bart parking lot flee market as well, there is usually at least one vendor with games, though they were generally overpriced when I looked, but you could find a gem that is a steal with the same price sticker as the shit game next to it, as Kobun demonstrated.

Edit: slightly tangent :lol only the first part applies to your question.

Is the Ashby Bart flea actually good? I know of it, but I can never really bring myself to go all the way up to Berkeley on a Saturday morning.

The EB on Shattuck and Ashby has a bunch of NES, Genesis, SNES, N64, and Dreamcast games for pretty cheap. I just got PilotWings 64, Blast Corps, and Jet Grind Radio for like $13 a few days ago. (Not sure if that's a steal or not, PW was $7, GSR was $3 and BC was $2, then tax)

I asked if they had DC AV cables, and when he looked all he had were the shitty ones that have to plug right into your cable connection. I know beggers aren't supposed to be choosers, but my DC deserves better then that. :D I haven't checked the one on Telegraph though. According to my roommate, they actually sell their retro stuff for less than the Shattuck one. The next time I eat at the Asian Ghetto I'll swing by and take a look.

WordAssassin said:
the Asian Ghetto
Heh, I've only been up to Telegraph once and I think I know exactly where you are talking about. I had a really bad date there. (And there weren't many retro games in the EB.)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Kobun Heat said:
Is the Ashby Bart flea actually good? I know of it, but I can never really bring myself to go all the way up to Berkeley on a Saturday morning.
If you want incense, bad Rap demos burned onto CD-R with xeroxed covers, hippie vegetable oil soap (with beach sand in it), or various other, trinkets then yes.

The best part about it is the street musicians who play, and the genuinely kind, always eccentric booth operators. I interviewed quite a few of them for a project once.

If you plan on going up that way just make a day out of it. Go to Top Dog, watch the football game at one of the bars, or climb the hill and watch it for free (from hella far away).

Wednesday update.

En route to Golden Gate Park today, we hit the Goodwill in the Upper Haight. My dad found an HP calculator that he can turn around for about $30 on eBay (three bucks or so), and I didn't see much...

until I saw...

...under a pile of junk...

...Lunar: The Silver Star. For Sega CD. Complete. Excellent condition. CD's nearly perfect. Nine bucks. whoo.

Top Bottom