• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AndroidCentral “Sony no longer cares about the PSVR 2, and neither should you”

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
KU6vddx.jpeg

THE DUCK

Banned
I think this is a problem for Sony, these are die hard Sony fans being left in the lurch who outlayed a lot of money. It's not going to motivate them to buy a ps6, most will probably move towards pc which will split thier focus and reduce overall revenue from them long term. The saving grace is there isn't very many of them. (Since sales are what, less than million?)

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
the market clearly is not ready and the technology either. (for mass adoption)

I will say that PSVR specifically should be marketed as the "IMAX" experience and 100% of new Play Station games should to be compatible with it (Especially AAA games). Hopefully, Sony will realize this angle for the next iteration.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Last edited:
What a complete waste from Sony. I loved PSVR and would have jumped into VR again if they offered literally like anything. I truly don't understand why they even made this with 0 games for it.

wondermega

I will say that PSVR specifically should be marketed as the "IMAX" experience and 100% of new Play Station games should to be compatible with it (Especially AAA games). Hopefully, Sony will realize this angle for the next iteration.
It feels impossible to imagine that there could be another iteration, who would actually buy one at this rate?

Nydius

Gold Member
I never had a PSVR, though I did get to play one from time to time because one of my friends had it. When PSVR2 was announced, I initially considered it despite the price because I figured I'd be able to get one and play a vast library of past games plus new games released for it. But then they dropped the "no backwards compatibility" bombshell and my interest cratered. Had they gone the extra mile to ensure all past PSVR games would have been playable at launch, I would have bought it day one.

It's easy W, if you just make your first party compatible with VR.

GW VR? Spiderman VR Day1? People will buy the system nonstop.

100% on point.
I'm also now imagining Helldivers 2 VR.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Sony was not ready to support this, and that's on them.

No one is going to bother making PSVR2 exclusive games if Sony themselves are barely supporting it. This is PS Vita all over again. Leaving behind PSVR, those games, and people who own that headset was also a dumb move.

Oppoi

Makes you think long and hard why this was launched instead as a new portable, which would have been super easy to support and port games to. Would have easily sold 5 million units by now, if not more.
Must have been somebody high up's pet project.
Boy you have all the answers huh? They should put you in charge!

ABnormal

I think people on the matter are either scarcely in touch with reality, or blatlantly spreading FUD.

They seem to not acknowledge:

- that VR in general is a very niche market, compared to that on PC and consoles; Of that niche, the most is from Meta, which is the only producer that create some exclusive games sporadically;
- that PSVR, in that small niche, is still one of the best-selling ones worldwide, despite being sold to a much smaller user base;
- that despite that, I never see the other, more-of-niche VR producers being told that "they do not care for VR", even if they do not produce any other game (like Valve) or anything at all, and even if they sold an handful of units. Where are the articles for those?
- that PSVR is the ONLY console VR avaliable, and it's an achievement by itself; why aren't there articles about how the other producers DO NOT have any VR at all?
- that the only console VR has a combination of technologies that allow high end quality;
- that PSVR is even now on the high end of technical quality in current games (just read the previews about Behemoth on PSVR2 and the highest PC version, for it, for example);
- that console's games are comprised by a selected environment, and as nobody would espect consoles to have the broader gaming possibilities of PCs, console's VR obviously works the same way in the same environment, so, unless idiot, or troll, one should easily understand that the same applies for console VR;

Yes, I'd like to have some more exclusive games. But how much would it make difference? Not much, it would not move the needle significantly. Maybe more effective would be having many hybrid games, who knows. But what it's already here is top quality, so why the whining? Is someone especting to have the mods and early accesses of pc vr games? If yes, I have bad news about your brain. It's CONSOLE vr, same environment.

And in general I always find extremely arrogant when someone tells me about what I should care. Very egocentric. Who is this idiot who thinks he knows what people want and like?

Last edited:

Neofire

My son loves his and the game output has been decent enough for it to stay alive. I do believe they should be focusing more on creating new games than shifting focus to adding PC support.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I feel like until we get headsets as small as eyeglasses, or actual eye implants, VR just won’t take off into the mainstream. In a life of instant, frictionless gratification, ain’t nobody got time to put a headset on.

I say this as an original kickstarter of the oculus rift dev kit, purchasing every VR system up until this one.

AmuroChan

Gold Member
Sony needed to do one of two things - sell it for $299 so people are willing to try it even without crazy amount of games; or 2) support it with so many great games that people will pay the $549 for it. They did neither and that's why it failed spectacularly. If the thing was $299 I probably would've gotten one just to have it.

Oppoi

Nope, still care. GT7 is GOAT VR racing.

Got a massive backlog and the PC connectivity will be even better.
All racing games need VR support. If you've ever experienced it you just know. If you deny it you're full of it. If you think it's a good thing your console doesn't have VR at all? Well then you're probably one of them ambassadors sucking nickles out of Spencers butthole.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
It feels impossible to imagine that there could be another iteration, who would actually buy one at this rate?
Marketing. Forget about special controllers or VR games (as we know it):

VR should just be the Next Level of immersion of the game you die to play, you are IN the world. but for this to happen the headset should be wireless and not more than 299 USD. If graphics are reaching a ceiling point (not because of technology, but cost) and resolution is dead as a meaningful marketing talking point. There shouldn't be a graphical sacrifice to play "flat games" on VR...in the future.

So, imagine the next Harry Potter game 100% compatible with VR. It's the same game and it looks the same (of course at higher frame rates)...the mega fans of that IP would kill to exist in that world...now they can.

ABnormal

I feel like until we get headsets as small as eyeglasses, or actual eye implants, VR just won’t take off into the mainstream. In a life of instant, frictionless gratification, ain’t nobody got time to put a headset on.

I say this as an original kickstarter of the oculus rift dev kit, purchasing every VR system up until this one.
That's one thing, but the primary one is being able to entirely suppress motion sickness (which plagues most of the population), both for allowing everyone to play free of mind, and for freeing endless possibilities in game design that would be possible in the full-space interaction tipical of VR.

Goalus

I already don't. Didn't feel the need to buy it for my PS4, no intention of buying it for my PS5 either.
It's not compatible with my Xbox either, which essentially tanked any interest I might have had.

And in general I always find extremely arrogant when someone tells me about what I should care. Very egocentric. Who is this idiot who thinks he knows what people want and like?
Xbox users are quite familiar with this scenario, so it's probably a good thing that Sony users get a taste of it as well.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I think you bundle the damn thing with the console I don’t know if you can do that but nobody has thrown that out if vr is available out of the box like the 360 mic it will be successful.

ZehDon

You mean an AUD$850 peripheral for an AUD$850 console that has no major games isn't flying off the shelves?

Sony bungled the PSVR2 from the announcement. The only hope it has is in the PC space, and even then it's gonna struggle against Quest - especially with that cable.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Sony arguably has the best VR games but I can’t justify a purchase when it’s tied to any form of hardware.

THE DUCK

Banned
Boy you have all the answers huh? They should put you in charge!

Nope, but even a child probably could predict much higher sales of a portable with near universal appeal and no extra hardware vs a niche product that requires a ps5.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

To early to right it off.

It's a price drop and couple titles away from being a success.

Bringing it to PC will add to this as well.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

But why? Sony doesn’t give a crap about trying to push VR. They needed to have a VR product ready in case it became the next big gaming fad.

Now that we know it’s not, Sony isn’t going to spend their money and time trying to force it on to the market.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
But why? Sony doesn’t give a crap about trying to push VR. They needed to have a VR product ready in case it became the next big gaming fad.

Now that we know it’s not, Sony isn’t going to spend their money and time trying to force it on to the market.
because it wouldn't be VR.

it would be just an "immersive headset".

Video games have always been about enhancing immersion. You could buy a 90-100 inch TV, sure, or a wide screen monitor... OK. But you would still be looking at a rectangle in front of you."

its like playing with the TV speakers, pairs of headphones, surround system or Dolby atmos.

and its not about forcing it on to a market, I'm taking about in a way in which the medium can achieve greater immersion (without gimmicks or "special games")

Oppoi

Nope, but even a child probably could predict much higher sales of a portable with near universal appeal and no extra hardware vs a niche product that requires a ps5.
Is that a direction they want to go with though? I think they're better off focusing on their main consoles, they have more than enough support already.

phant0m

Hate to say it but Meta got it right here with the Quest.

Fully standalone headset. No wires. Backwards compatible with all prior quest games. Want to hook it up to your PC to take advantage of more horsepower and PC-exclusive titles? Not a problem, official support for Oculus app and SteamVR.

If Sony wants to take another shot it needs to be standalone and support being connected to a console.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Banned
Is that a direction they want to go with though? I think they're better off focusing on their main consoles, they have more than enough support already.

I can buy that as a valid arguement (even if I don't agree with it), but then why launch the psvr2?

Top Bottom