• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Well |OT| The First True Metroidunkavania

Portugeezer

One of the things confusing about the map is how some areas look partially unexplored, but really it's just one area leading to another part of the map from the other side. I just realized for the first time you could place markings on the map lol no idea how I missed it and I'm almost done the game.
The map gives a lot of clues.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Finally got the last two achievements. Not sure yet if I will do the bunny statues. I will probably spoil it and see what it leads to next. The UV light in the store room or whatever had me kind of intrigued.

Also no clue what to do with the control panel...

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
It looks boring and the art design is terrible. I might give it a try if it comes to Game Pass. I'm curious about the reviews after the hype dies down. We'll see real opinions within a year.

Portugeezer

Just beat the main boss I think, if you want to call it that.

What a great Metroidvania game, always keeps you wondering about what previous discovered location you can use your new item. The bubble platforms let you do stuff which make you think you might be sequence breaking but certain parts have more of a hard block just in case (not invisible walls, always contextualised by the game and new item abilities).

Anyway, I got a new item after the main boss:

stopwatch? I don't see it

It looks boring and the art design is terrible. I might give it a try if it comes to Game Pass. I'm curious about the reviews after the hype dies down. We'll see real opinions within a year.
The pixels are too chunky (TV on PS5), scan lines just just hurt my eyes.

But the game is good.

elhav

At its best, the game is one of the most original puzzle games in a while. At its worst, it has some puzzles that genuinely make me want to stop playing and never come back.

I think the biggest sin this game has is its save point locations. Some puzzles will kill you again and again, and you'll have to backtrack again and again, with less and less inclination each time.

The worst puzzles are the ones where you know what you need to do, but the controls and level design just make the process tedious and not enjoyable.

Impotaku

Played a few hours so far, i'm failing to see how the graphics are terrible. The animation & lighting is beautiful however i come from the original gaming generation so i can appreciate nice pixel art. The puzzles so far are reasonably straight forward however i have played the fuck out of fez so i'm no stranger to thinking outside the box when it comes to puzzles but so far it's a matter of using what you have found or paying close attention to the areas and how things behave. Will be interesting to see how i manage on the more obscure puzzles.

At its best, the game is one of the most original puzzle games in a while. At its worst, it has some puzzles that genuinely make me want to stop playing and never come back.

I think the biggest sin this game has is its save point locations. Some puzzles will kill you again and again, and you'll have to backtrack again and again, with less and less inclination each time.

The worst puzzles are the ones where you know what you need to do, but the controls and level design just make the process tedious and not enjoyable.
The save spots are often obnoxiously far and make little sense to me. The fast travel points also feel oddly placed.

Weird experience overall. I really loved it for a long time but somewhere it devolved into frustrating and annoying tedium and soured me pretty hard. I thought I'd gotten over it, reinstalled it to go for the post-game secrets but realized after like 10 minutes I had no fucking interest in going through every room trying every item again.

Last edited:

Doomtrain

Can I get some VERY LIGHT postgame nudges in the right direction? Currently I:

Just got the top, but I haven’t figured out what to do with it. I found the S. Medal and the circular recess to the left of the bat. Running around filling out the map where I see gaps and finding more eggs. I got the stopwatch and the bubble wand upgrade by the final boss.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Can I get some VERY LIGHT postgame nudges in the right direction? Currently I:

Just got the top, but I haven’t figured out what to do with it. I found the S. Medal and the circular recess to the left of the bat. Running around filling out the map where I see gaps and finding more eggs. I got the stopwatch and the bubble wand upgrade by the final boss.
Keep looking for eggs.
Use the top in every room until you find its use. The room you obtained it should have had a use for it but I can't remember for sure.

Doomtrain

Keep looking for eggs.
Use the top in every room until you find its use. The room you obtained it should have had a use for it but I can't remember for sure.
Much appreciated!

Got the Bouncy Ball, the Wheel, the UV wand, and 52-ish eggs. I've now exhausted every single open area/gap on the map that I can see. Some mysteries I still haven't figured out:

• The pile of skulls and the circle of faces in the room to the left of the final boss. I found out that the Remote will change the TV to show the faces, but I haven't actually figured out what to do with that yet. Without spoiling it, do I currently have the tools to solve that, and is the solution in the same area? Or should I ignore that for now?
  • The rabbit mural with the control panel that lets me draw on it.
  • I clearly need a tool to break the clear-ish blocks that are everywhere, but no idea where to look.
  • Using the UV wand, I see numbers on the clock after the final boss area. I assume those are for speed runs and may be out of my reach on this playthrough?
  • I haven't yet figured out a good place to use the Wheel to do anything of real consequence, but I might just need to scour the map again now that I have the tool.

Last edited:

Doomtrain

And platinumed. I probably won’t do the layer 3/4 stuff, but I really enjoyed it overall. It has a real sense of “anything can happen” that’s been missing from the genre for a long time.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Much appreciated!

Got the Bouncy Ball, the Wheel, the UV wand, and 52-ish eggs. I've now exhausted every single open area/gap on the map that I can see. Some mysteries I still haven't figured out:

• The pile of skulls and the circle of faces in the room to the left of the final boss. I found out that the Remote will change the TV to show the faces, but I haven't actually figured out what to do with that yet. Without spoiling it, do I currently have the tools to solve that, and is the solution in the same area? Or should I ignore that for now?
  • The rabbit mural with the control panel that lets me draw on it.
  • I clearly need a tool to break the clear-ish blocks that are everywhere, but no idea where to look.
  • Using the UV wand, I see numbers on the clock after the final boss area. I assume those are for speed runs and may be out of my reach on this playthrough?
  • I haven't yet figured out a good place to use the Wheel to do anything of real consequence, but I might just need to scour the map again now that I have the tool.
  • Without spoiling it, do I currently have the tools to solve that, and is the solution in the same area? Or should I ignore that for now?
Yes. More specifically, look for environmental clues that only appear when certain items are used.

And platinumed. I probably won’t do the layer 3/4 stuff, but I really enjoyed it overall. It has a real sense of “anything can happen” that’s been missing from the genre for a long time.

I just read about the stuff people seemingly data mined. That was enough for me, since it's really esoteric and I only have so much time and patience with all the quality games out there. I do feel I had my fill from layers 1 and 2, that was plenty. Billy Basso is great and he is going to have a successful career in game development - not just Animal Well.

Doomtrain

I just read about the stuff people seemingly data mined. That was enough for me, since it's really esoteric and I only have so much time and patience with all the quality games out there. I do feel I had my fill from layers 1 and 2, that was plenty. Billy Basso is great and he is going to have a successful career in game development - not just Animal Well.
Yeah, I think it's a fantastic game overall, but it starts to lose me a little bit in layers 3/4 when the puzzles stop being organic to the game world and start feeling more like things that require external input.

When I hear about a game, check my Steam library and thanks to my Steam family and it’s already there
Happy Oh Yeah GIF by Sky

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Does the game have a narrative or much of a point? So far I am about 4 hours into it, gotten one of the 4 flames, and while I adore the graphical look and design - it just feels like loosely connected areas with no real reason as to why you are doing the things you do.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
this ain’t the great gatsby. You think a like g like Billy basso got time to make up fairy tales? Just get out the damn well bro

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I think I get as I play more and more WHY the reviews are so glowing. It’s a very unique puzzle game that feels super rewarding to see things play out. The combo of your input and then the feedback with things like sound and visual effects, create a nice dopamine hit.

10/10 masterpiece? Hell fucking no.

A game worth trying? Absolutely! It does take a few hours in my opinion to start showing you what makes it so good.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Yo what the fuck, I started this game last night and it’s actually kind of amazing? The level design is so carefully crafted, creating micro challenges that can be bypassed once completed for traversal purposes. Not the type of consideration I usually expect from indie devs. Even Hollow Knight struggled with that a bit.

I bought this game for the meme, expecting it to be serviceable but underwhelming. I’m pleasantly surprised. I’m only a couple hours in, but I hope it keeps up the pace and quality.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Yo what the fuck, I started this game last night and it’s actually kind of amazing? The level design is so carefully crafted, creating micro challenges that can be bypassed once completed for traversal purposes. Not the type of consideration I usually expect from indie devs. Even Hollow Knight struggled with that a bit.

I bought this game for the meme, expecting it to be serviceable but underwhelming. I’m pleasantly surprised. I’m only a couple hours in, but I hope it keeps up the pace and quality.
It's a real gem. My favorite game out this year so far.

Top Bottom