• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(anime) Inuyasha to end on....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono

Banned
September 6th

:p

Episodes 166/167 will be aired on 9-6-2004 as a double episode that will END Inuyasha the TV series. So far Inuyasha is at 159 episodes, with 158 subbed episodes (can't say who..).

ANN Link

Man, I expected IY to go to at least 200 episodes. I thought the earliest time it could end would be the end of this year but SEPTEMBER? There are only 9 episodes left. They should've announced this eariler to give it time to sink it. I mean IY is not that great of a series but still... Spending 158 episodes worth of time with those characters means you'll miss them for a while. =\

What really worries me though is that they have not announced the end of the manga... which means the saga will continue. I hate this. I don't like IY enough to read the manga but I want to know what really happens damn it. I don't read the manga so can manga reades shed light on this? how many chapters is the manga ahead currently and what is the average manga-to-anime average per chapter?

seriously I mean if Naraku dies in the anime.. will manga readers just continue reading a different time line that will end up killing naraku in a different mannger? wtf

Chrono

Banned
heh we can't talk directly on how to get licensed anime on this board. ;)

As for the topic, I think what will happen is for IY to finish in OVAs which sucks. A lot of anime don't finish and make us go for the manga but at least with shows like Hajime no Ippo there's some closure in the anime-- I dont see how that will happen in IY.

edit:

92 views and only one bothered to reply? We IY fans are like the losers of the geeks. :(

Sai

The manga is still going strong, no? I was never a big fan of InuYasha, but I do agree with what you said about the sudden closure. Should've given the fans some prep time.

NotMSRP said:
As usual, we'll have another nonconclusive series added to Rumiko Takahshi's name.

Reason #1 why I don't watch RT series, including Inuyasha.

It should be pointed out that this is the end of the 'first stage' of Inuyasha according to the interview. It's possible that more movies or TV seasons could be in the works as a brand refresh.

Mugen

Banned
Can anyone list Rumiko Takashi's animes? It really does piss me off when an anime/manga never gets a closure... I wasn't exposed to unfinished works as much as before but since I got in to manga, there's just seems to be alot of never ending mangas that are currently 'on hold' or just forgotten by whoever is writing them. In anime, I can only remember 1 right now and that is Hellsing.

That's why nowadays, I (try) to not follow animes that have its own manga versions because their manga version seems to be 'better' and/or not even close to being done unlike the anime. ie. Midori no Hibi.

And I've liked Inuyusha a lot (but not as much as Naruto/One Piece) from what I've seen so far and it seems that an anime about collecting jewel shards SHOULD have a definite ending. Unlike Naruto where it can go on forever...

Chrono

Banned
Mugen said:
That's why nowadays, I (try) to not follow animes that have its own manga versions because their manga version seems to be 'better' and/or not even close to being done unlike the anime. ie. Midori no Hibi.

A lot of anime have their manga counterpart go further but still turn out to be great anime shows. I would've liked Hajime no Ippo to continue, but if some one told me that there was no manga covering after episode 75 I would believe him as the anime came to a good ending. The same thing with Fruits Basket. Actually I'm still waiting for the U.S. manga releases to pass the last anime episode to see where it goes. I don't like the "down-grade" from anime to manga though. :p

Some other anime, like GantZ for example, are BUTCHERED in short running anime shows made by morons like Gonzo. And yeah I know they made Last Exile. I dare them to make another series as good.

I guess for us anime viewers we can only hope whoever is making an anime out of a manga adapts the show responsibly. Manga is very cheap and could go on forever; Anime shows are expensive and seasons demand ratings. If the only thing you'll do is butcher a 100 chapter manga into 11 episodes of crap, or create a great series for 26 episodes or 150 and then say "whoops" can't go further so "let's make a filler ending" then go kill yourself. Or something. :p

Mugen

Banned
I don't think Hajime no Ippo 'ended' man. A real ending for me is him facing of with Miyata.

And about Gantz, I'm just glad that there will be a season 2 (or more). And... that there will be a DVD version of Season 1 which is uncut (AFAIK) which is great I think.

And about getting into manga lol... I kinda regret getting into it. Though yes it opened me to a brand new branch of the 'scene' (ie. anime itself, anime music, live-action series...), I'm just left unsatisfied with it. Compared to anime of course. Since there's a lot more mangas than there is anime and there's even FEWER scanslation groups to work around. And yes, some mangas tend to run 'forever' or in definite 'hold' by the author/writer of said mangas.

But if I were you, I'm not gonna get into it... just read the important ones, which has an ending... ie. Angel Sanctuary, I's, Monster...

OR read the manga versions of an anime with endings... ie. Love Hina, Alita, Orange Road...

but everything else, I recommend staying away because those mangas are either infinitely long or on 'hold'. ie. Leviathan, Blade of the Immortal.

But of course there's still some mangas that are long and still going but still great but I'm always afraid that it's gonna get on hold ie. Beck, 20th Century Boys, Gantz

Chrono

Banned
Mugen said:
I don't think Hajime no Ippo 'ended' man. A real ending for me is him facing of with Miyata.

Yeah I guess you're right. :p Howver, it still was a GREAT anime based on a manga that goes beyond it. That was my main point: you can still make an awesome anime based partially on a manga series. The hardcore fans can then go after the manga if they didn't get enough and OVAs can always be released too.

Miyata's fight with Ippo was just implied from the beginning but not having a fight really isn't a cliffhanger like I suspect will happen with Inuyasha. I bet they'll cushion it and put a filler ending but it will still suck. The waiting for OVAs that prolly won't be fansubbed will be even worse. >__<

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
I followed InuYasha up to episode 90 or so... but it started to get too repetitive and drawn out for me. (And where I got to the main plot was starting to be abandonded for a large number of side-stories).

Overall I liked the series and am still interested, but I doubt I will ever spend the time to watch the rest of it. Would anyone be interested in giving some brief snippets of the major plot points that happen post episode 90ish up to the end of the series? =)

Chrono

Banned
MrCheez said:
I followed InuYasha up to episode 90 or so... but it started to get too repetitive and drawn out for me. (And where I got to the main plot was starting to be abandonded for a large number of side-stories).

Overall I liked the series and am still interested, but I doubt I will ever spend the time to watch the rest of it. Would anyone be interested in giving some brief snippets of the major plot points that happen post episode 90ish up to the end of the series? =)

I think that's about 10 episodes before the BEST Inuyasha arc: the shichinintai if I remember corrrectly. They rock. Oh and I was going to write the worst IY summary known to man... then remembered this:

http://www.inuyashaworld.com/epsummary.cfm

You can just read the small summaries... for 70 episodes. Good luck. :)

apparently on a certain message board dealing with inuyasha they said that manga is scheduled to end by fall/end of summer likewise with the anime.

Chrono

Banned
damn it I can't sleep now so here's the short version:

naraku resurrects a band of 7 mercenaries knows as the shichinintai that kick-ass and take names. One of them is gay and loves Inuyasha's cute dog ears. ^__^

ahem. Basically one by one they all get their asses kicked and inuyasha goes looking for the man-- naraku who after their last encounter completely disappeared. It turned out he was hiding in the purest mountain ever thanks to him bribing a powerful half-dead monk trying to become a living Buddha. After our heroes track him down they find out Naraku was "re-inventing" himself.. he produced a baby that has his "human-half" thus giving him to the power to kill kikyo (remember he couldn’t' kill her because his human half (onigumo) loved her... so cute.) and he-- you guessed it-- kills her. Inuyasha goes berserk and kagome is sad and jealous and life goes on.

after that I think for 20 freakin' episodes we had mini-arc fillers. They were good mostly though. Until finally that baby the naraku produced gets torn in HALF by a monk. Why? That "baby" had the power to look into people's hearts/minds for info. a spy. He was going around powerful monks with kagura looking into them and seeing if there's a way to the "world between the afterlife and this one" or something. When he gets torn in half he regenerates into two babies-- one that grows to be a pre-teen arrogant prick. That pre-teen naraku half, hakudushi as they call him, takes on Inuyasha with a demon horse called entei.

on one of Inuyasha's encounters with the demon horse, he gets help from a mysterious monk that broke hakudoshi's barrier with a single arrow... yes that monk is kikyo-she's not dead! Actually she's half dead-- she asks kagome to use her power to cleanse her and returns to being a semi-living being.

By this time the gang was looking for the LAST SHARD that was on the border between this world and the after life. That's what some weird demon dude with really long ears told naraku only for Inuyasha to find out later. After several attempts to this "border," all which fail, they finally get to it when naraku slaughters a blook sucking giant vampire-bird and opens a gateway. They go there and see the jewel in Inuyasha's father's grave. It's being protected by an ancient friend of his father that is made of diamond (or housenki) who is being tainted by the jewel. they fight and naraku shows up-- kicks their asses and takes the LAST shard.

Then seshomaru shows up. That bitch kagura bettrayed naraku and showed him a way to the after life to kill naraku. what happens? they go at it while inuyasha is hurting. housenki the diamond demon feels remorseful and tells inuyasha to strike him-- giving our hero the power of his diamond body and INuyasha a new attack: Kongosoha! Inuyasha rips Naraku to PIECES with it and retrieves the last shard. Naraku escapes-- apparently his heart was with his other body or something. Now they're all back to the real world with the last shard and looking for naraku who has the rest. Inuyasha has a kick-ass new sword too.

that's the best I can do at 00:30 in the morning... :p

MrCheez

Very nice description, and much appreciated! 8D

Gonna browse through the link too! Thanks again!

P.S....
Do Miroku and Sango ever get together officially? =)

Chrono

Banned
MrCheez said:
P.S....
Do Miroku and Sango ever get together officially? =)

yeah they do. ^__^

semi-officially at least. After some filler episodes miroku finally admits to sango that he loves her and... asks her, that should he defeat naraku and be cured of his curse, to have his child and be his women/wife or something close to that. However, he also says given the fact that right now he is going to die from the curse--unless naraku goes down-- he can't get himself to o involved with the people he loves. He's afraid of hurting Sango. Oh and I forgot to mention: Sango accepts the offer too and says she loves him too. :p

But like I said he said he can't fall in love and live a peaceful life now... so it's almost back to how they were before except sango is MUCH more vigilant in keeping women off miroku hehe. But it's good to know that they know they love each other and have plans for the post-naraku era. :D

MrCheez

w00t!!!

Exactly what I wanted to hear. 8D

Damn... I kind of want to watch the rest of the series now... but 70+ episodes of anything is time-consuming. ;_;

Shouta

The show has been basically filler for a long time honestly. Caught a few episodes while I was in Japan and they were retreading stuff like mad although they seem to be starting to close stuff off.

lordmrw

Personally, I think this is the best thing for the series. For more than 50 episodes they've been looking for the last shard, and when something like that is the main plot, there's an assload of fillers. That's pretty much why I don't bother watching every episode of the show. Nine episodes should be enough to end things on a good note.

FnordChan

Mugen said:
Can anyone list Rumiko Takashi's animes?

I'm not an expert, but here's a reasonably complete list:

Urusei Yatsura - 195 TV episodes, 6 movies, a bunch of OVAs and TV specials - UY ends roughly with Movie 5. I say "roughly", cause there's another movie after that and the ending isn't what you would call set in stone, but it's reasonably satisfying.

Maison Ikkoku - 96 TV episodes, plus two movies: one animated, one live-action, neither good - The best thing Takahashi has ever done and, at this rate, will ever do. The 96 episodes mirror the manga fairly closely, it has some superior filler episodes, and there's an honest to goodness, deeply satisfying ending. If you're going to watch Takahashi, watch this.

Ranma 1/2 - 161 TV episodes, 2 movies, 11 OVAs, and several TV specials - And this is where the brain-eater kicks in. Ranma 1/2 has the non-ending, both in the manga and in the anime; I suppose it's trying for something along the lines of UY, but it doesn't really work. If you simply must watch Ranma, watch the first 20 TV episodes or so and any of the OVAs that strike your fancy; anything beyond that and you have only yourself to blame.

Inu Yasha - See above. They may well spin this off into a second TV series, but considering that Takahashi's other works have yet to crack the 200 episode barrier, I'm guessing this is about to vanish into the realm of OVAs and movies.

Then there are a bunch of side projects and whatnot:

The Mermaid Saga - A horror series that was originally animated as two OVAs: Mermaid Forest and Mermaid's Scar. The OVAs are independent of each other, self-contained, and pretty good. Recently, the manga was adapted into a 13 episode TV series called (wait for it) Mermaid's Scar. I wasn't overly impressed by the first three episodes, but fans of the manga tell me it's more faithful to the source material than the OVAs.

One-Pound Gospel - A one-shot OVA about a boxer and a nun. No, really. Never saw it myself, though I'm told it's decent. Hrm...I see that it's directed by Osamu Dezaki, which means I'm a lot more interested in checking it out than I thought I was...

Rumic World - Thee mid-80s OVAs based on short manga stories: Maris the Supergirl (over the top comedy), Firetripper (historical adventure), and The Laughing Target (horror). All three are solid viewing and are completely self-contained.

Rumic Theatre - A recent TV series that adapts another slew of Takahashi's manga short stories. I haven't seen a lick of it, though I'm told these are a lot closer to the slice-of-life vibe of Maison Ikkoku than her more fantastical works. I've read the stories that were adapted (years ago in the Viz manga anthology Manga Vizion) and remember them as being reasonably entertaining.

And there you have it.

FnordChan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom