• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime You Are Watching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a long fuqking while since ive seen one of these threads. Im currently watching:

Scrapped Princess:
This show rocks the house and anyone who says otherwise sux. Its got swords and fun, and that green dinosaur suit.
t-p_key.jpg

Love Hina:
I dont normally like these lots of girls and a guy shows, but aside from Tenchi, this is the only one I actually liked. I did finally watch Again, and it wasnt as bad as people let on, and it finished the story, so ta da.
29570211096304E38.jpeg

Azumanga:
Talk of it on the forum lead me back to it. It was either this or Hale Nochi Guu, and osaka wins again!
kagura-sakaki.jpg

and of course

One Piece:
Jesus I have a long way to go till I get to the end. I also gave some eps to a friend of mine, I think he likes it. At dinner the other night he actually grabbed 3 pieces of silverware and wielded them zoro style. I had to explain to the others at the table, but it was all in good fun.

onepiece%20001.jpg

No fansubs for me this summer (no internet at my gf's apartment and I'm sure I'd get fired if I was downloading at work), so it's DVD only:

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED -- Rewatching the DVDs, already seen the entire show via fansubs. First volume.
Last Exile -- Up through volume five.
R.O.D The TV -- First volume.
Wolf's Rain -- Saw the first 20 episodes via fansubs, first volume on DVD.
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex -- First volume.

Outlaw Star - Watched the first 5 episodes. Seems alright so far though I hope it picks up.

Elfen Lied - The "OMG WTF" anime of the year. I went from "OMG Titties" to "Holy shit his heart shot out of his back" to "Ahhh...how cute" in the span of 30 minutes. Crazyness.

2x2=Shinobuden - The anime for people with ADD. Seriously, things happen so fast. One minute they're sprinkling magical ash to plant stuff and the next they're roaming around outside fighting an alligator. Really funny stuff here. I like it.

Samurai Champloo - I really like this one though I guess that's to be expected. Everyone that's been watching it with me calls the poofy haired samurai "Spike". I'd bet good money he'll be voiced by the same actor too. :)

I'm gonna see if I can't grab Gungrave as I heard the english dub is fantastic. I'd also like to grab the Platinum edition of Evangelion.

The Shadow said:
Elfen Lied - The "OMG WTF" anime of the year. I went from "OMG Titties" to "Holy shit his heart shot out of his back" to "Ahhh...how cute" in the span of 30 minutes. Crazyness.

I've heard that it's pretty insane, could you elaborate on the story?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Naruto
NARUTO.jpg

One Piece
group16.jpg

Full Metal Alchemist
fullmetalalchemist.jpg

Samurai Champloo
Samurai%20Champloo_4.jpg

Monster
monster.gif

Though I'm slacking in Monster. I think I'm about 7 epsidoes behind. I need to catch up.

Jason

Current fansubs

Samurai Shamploo: The last 2 eps were insanely good. The story isn't really going anywhere but I don't care.
Galaxy Railways: Offshoot of Galaxy Express 999. Highly recommended.
Uninhabited Planet Survive: Dunno why I'm still watching this one.
Twin Spica: Very heartwarming story if you're into that sorta thing. This is released once in a blue moon. Sub faster please. :(
Kurau Phantom Memory: Got off to a great start...and that's it. Not watching this anymore.
Fullmetal Alchemist: Love it.
Naruto: blahblahblah

Oldies but goodies

Azumanga Daioh: Watched it thanks to the GAF and loved every minute of it. Go Osaka! :)
Paranoia Agent: Really fucked up series. Awesome, awesome music. The only anime I've watched where I haven't skipped the OP and ED credits.
Abenobashi Magical Shopping Arcade: The Bruce Lee episode was once of the funniest things I've ever seen. The series drags on a bit during the middle and the ending was a bit questionable in my eyes, but it's good nevertheless.
Read or Die: Interesting concept, fun while it lasted. What's so bad about the TV series?

Jason: While the OVA was action packed, the tv series has a lot of relationship stuff going on, and lacks some favorites from the OVA for a good portion of the series, and then they changed the alignment of a key character ;P

Still good watching.

distantmantra said:
I've heard that it's pretty insane, could you elaborate on the story?

A brief rundown of the first episode. Spoilers (gasp!)

Basically this girl escapes from some kind of containment at what looks like a research facility. The "escape" is just her ripping people apart by what looks like telekinesis powers. A sniper takes a shot at her but doesn't kill her as she's wearing this weird metal head piece. She falls off a cliff and into the ocean. The researchers know she's not dead.

They then introduce a guy and a girl (I forgot their names. I believe they were Japanese) who happen to be cousins. The guy is to move into a run down restaurant. He can live there, provided he takes care of it. The cousins are talking on the beach, discussing a memory of the guy's presumably deceased younger sister when they see the escaped girl just standing there in the waves (she has cat-like ears). They take her in and give her cloths. She doesn't talk much and she seems somewhat infantile in her actions, such as taking a piss on the floor. They call her "Nyu" because that's the sound she's always making. The guy takes out a seashell and starts thinking about the younger sister. Nyu takes the shell from him and crushes it, thinking that it was making him sad when it was in fact the memory that brings. The guy starts screaming at her and acts like a big time ass. Nyu runs away and they chase after her.

At the research facility, they hire this army/special-ops guy that seems to have some serious issues. He absolutely floors a receptionist because she walked nearby behind his back (Don't sneak up on me!). They ask him if he'd like to kill someone for them. Dun Dun Dunnnnnn!

And that's the first episode in a nutshell.

Cherubae

komugi.jpg

Volumn one just came out in English this week. The dvd also contains the original Japanese voiceovers with English subtitles too. Mmmm All Must Buy

*edit* you're right, bad image :) all fixed

Cherubae said:
3007.jpg

Volumn one just came out in English this week. The dvd also contains the original Japanese voiceovers with English subtitles too. Mmmm All Must Buy

Image isn't loading, so I have no clue as to what you're talking about.

The first 5:00 minutes of Elfen Lied are some of the most graphically violent scenes I've seen in anime since the final ep. of Berserk.

The cute characters and all that dismemberment... it's quite a juxtaposition.

Hope the story holds up.

Stryder

At the moment I'm really enjoying 2x2 = Shinobuden, someone from here recommended it, I forget who, but it's the guy with the avatar of the dude lifting his chinese style hat.

Still watching Naruto, have 97 waiting for me to watch later on tonight.

Oh, and myself and about 6 others are going to go and see My Neighbour Totoro tonight at the cinema during a Hayao Miyazaki showcase their doing at the moment, I went and saw Kiki's Delivery Service and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind last week.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Naruto
One Piece
Monster
Full Metal Alchemist
Initial D
Hunter X Hunter
Samurai Champloo
Twin Spica (I think it's finished, haven't seen every ep yet though)
Gantz (same as Twin Spica)
Paranoia Agent (same as Twin Spica)
Kurai Phantom Memory (only seen two episodes, planning to continue sometime)
Bobobo
GITS SAC 2nd Gig

MrAngryFace said:
Been a long fuqking while since ive seen one of these threads. Im currently watching:

Scrapped Princess:
This show rocks the house and anyone who says otherwise sux. Its got swords and fun, and that green dinosaur suit.

The ending is pretty fucked up. The concepts behind it were great, it's just that the execution was flawed.

Love Hina:
I dont normally like these lots of girls and a guy shows, but aside from Tenchi, this is the only one I actually liked. I did finally watch Again, and it wasnt as bad as people let on, and it finished the story, so ta da.

I enjoyed LH as well, but that could be because I had basically no exposure to the genre beforehand. People who have seen dozens of harem comedies before might be desensitized. For what it's worth, though, the story continues past the end of 'Again' in the manga for one final volume. The manga pacing is this bizarre "MTV quick cut" style, but it is worth reading just to see how everything shakes out.

Azumanga:
Talk of it on the forum lead me back to it. It was either this or Hale Nochi Guu, and osaka wins again!

I'm sure Azumanga is good, but better than Guu? NEVER

One Piece:
Jesus I have a long way to go till I get to the end. I also gave some eps to a friend of mine, I think he likes it. At dinner the other night he actually grabbed 3 pieces of silverware and wielded them zoro style. I had to explain to the others at the table, but it was all in good fun.

The end? What do you mean? Props for the Zoro behavioral traits, although keep in mind that means you could probably have booted him on the head as a Sanji style comeback.

=W=

Only ones I'm currently keeping up with are One Piece, Naruto, Samurai Champloo, Samurai 7, and Full Metal Alchemist. I just finished up Full Metal Panic and Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, and I watched a little of X-TV, which I may finish up later.

Chrono

Banned
( btw: anyone know of a site that has anime media/pics? Google image search returns some disturbing stuff... Why can't hentai freaks leave popular anime alone. :( Those images will stay with me when watching those anime. >__< )

Just finished:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Paranoia Agent
Full Metal Panic (DVD)

Fansubs:

Naruto

One Piece

Full Metal Alchemist

Monster

Samurai Champloo

inuyasha... 6 more episodes to go.

Anime I have but still have not started watching:

Gits: SAC 2nd Gig... I'm waiting for the whole series to be subbed then watch it. 14 episodes to go.

Berserk DVD Boxset

Rahxephon DVD Boxset

Kenshin DVD Boxset 1st season and OVAs and Movie

Just Finished:
Raimuiro Senkitan (okay anime, ecchi funnies)
Hellsing (Sera is cute!)
Mobile Suit Gundam (2/3 movies, gawd this sucks!!!)

don't watch Ikkitosen man that one sucks.

along with some of the others already mentioned...

A4080-3.thumbnail.90.jpg

Dears
Like chobits with more humor, cute chibi ending theme. guy finds and alien girl (aliens are supposedly geniuses) who can't speak, eventually he teacher her how to talk and she starts calling him her master and refers to herself as his slave.

A3127-9.thumbnail.90.jpg

Samurai 7
Inspired by Seven Samurai, at first I thought this was lame since the opening sequence is like a midair mecha fight with a samurai slicing a huge battleship in half. After that flashback/prologue the setting is more feudal era looking, even tho there are robots.

A882-7.thumbnail.90.jpg

Tenshi na Konamaiki
Hard to explain, basically guy gets turned into girl by a wizard and now is trying to reverse the spell yet is having conflicting thoughts about how a man should act, or how a women should act. She is very pretty, good at martial arts, and admired by everyone. Decent comedy. spoiler: seems like she was a girl along since wizard can't change things physically, she just believes she was a guy.

A3744-11.thumbnail.90.jpg

Aishiteruze Baby
Heartwarming story about a teenage guy taking care of his orphaned cousin, dealing with parental issues and raising a *cute* preschooler. Also he's trying to win over a strongwilled girl who hates him.

A2274-2.thumbnail.90.jpg

Condor Hero
Wow the animation is UGLY! China kung fu era Romance/fighting/adventure story, based of a chinese story.

zarkand

Some of the anime have currently in my anime folder:

Ninja Senshi Tobikage: Older anime thats is not released very offen, in fact only two epsiode have been fansubbed.

Hunter x Hunter
Mahou Shoujotai
Samurai Champloo
Naruto
One Piece
Madlax
Kurau
BakuTenshi
FMA
Ragnarok the Animation
Shinobuden
Uninhabited Planet SURVIVE
Samurai 7
Tenshi na Konamaiki
Inu Yasha
DearS

I would say a nice list.

Cloudy

Banned
Fansub

Full Metal Alchemist - Why can't all shows have a plot and characters as cool as this?
Naruto - There's like one good ep every 5 weeks. Bleh
Kurau - It's ok through 3 eps. Hope it doesn't get bad. The ending song owns me
Monster - Great stuff but I'm like 5 eps behind
Wind - I dunno why but I like it. Seen 7 eps :p

DVD
Azumanga Daioh - I admit I was wrong about this one. This is like the funniest anime ever. Seen the first 2 dvds
Twelve Kingdoms - Great fantasy series. Gotta get dvd #6
Gungrave - The first dvd was so good.
Infinite Ryvius - Great stuff. Gotta get the last dvd
Haibane Renmei - Gotta watch the last dvd. Just haven't had time

PS: Can't wait for Gundam SEED Destiny :)

AniHawk

Samurai Champloo for now.

I want to check out Love Hina some day. Saw the first episode and was interested.

Same with Naruto and FullMetal Alchemist.

Blinky

Right now I'm just torrenting Champloo untill the DVDs are actually releases (January 05).

I was thinking about buying the first volume to that crazy Azumanga Daiogh (or something) show.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I am gettiing digital cable next week. What are the channels on cable that are currenty running anime. Comcast does not carry ADV's Anime Network :(

Hitokage said:
MAF: If you still want that request you made before the forum switch, PM me.

Are you guys switching forums again? If so, will our threads be purged like last time?

Meier

So many awful shows right now.. I have pretty much no desire to watch anime. As always though, watching the glorious Monster, Keroro Gunso (Sergeant Keroro/Frog), One Piece and on occasion, Kaleidostar.

Oh yeah, and the 4th episode of Macross Zero came out the other day so I'm watching that with my 5.1 setup. :D

Dead

well not really...yet
MrAngryFace said:
Read or Die TV was actually a lot of fun, I didnt even mind the filler stuff. Have it on fansub. SO CHEAP!
yeah, after having being warned about the show sucking, I still went ahead and bought the first dvd and was pleasently surprised. looking forward to the next dvd.

Battle Athletes Victory
battle_athletes_victory_vol1_big.jpg

Such a great series, I finally got around to watching it after purchasing it during one of Right Stuf's weekly deals. The characters are extremely easy to get attached to, and there's plenty off off-beat humor (I absolutely love the "relationship" between Kris and Akari :D). The show can get very tense at times, as would be expected from a group of competing teenage girls, and the emotional strains they face feels very realistic and fleshed out. The animation quality is also suprisingly good for being the first anime series released on DVD over here, with everything looking very clean and sharp.

Golden Boy
intro-logo-OLD.jpg

Hilarious sexual comedy about a 20-something guy named Kintaro who left college to bike across Japan, going from job to job. He's very into the lady folk, who are almost always turned off by his goofy attitude and loud demeanor. His drive to succeed and determination to get on the good side of the women, however, eventually leads them to falling in love with him, always right after he slips from their grasp. Kintaro's facial expressions and the way the voice actor expresses his thoughts are as funny as it gets, and you have to love the guy for his naivety at times and downright genius at others.

Neon Genesis Evangelion
evaall.jpg

No introduction necessary. I decided it was about time I finished watching the series so I could sell my old boxset on eBay while it was still worth something. I'll grab the Platinum releases once that boxset is released.

I'm waiting to see if DeepDiscountDVD is going to have another year-end 20% off sale to finish buying Last Exile and Witch Hunter Robin, as well as starting up Gungrave.

Dead

well not really...yet
Golden boy is hilarious, the manga needs to come out in the US, its even funnier and is quite a bit longer

Meier said:
So many awful shows right now.. I have pretty much no desire to watch anime.

I'm feeling the same right now, and all I've been watching lately is Monster whenever I notice a new episode releasing. PGSM has been dried out to a snorefest all of the sudden as the creators try to zap a way to end the series out of nowhere, and it's also not anime.

I might go back to Naruto and FMA, both of which bored me early on (Naruto around 30, FMA at 10). And I've got nothing else to watch so I might as well. I tried to get into Champloo, Bakuretsu Tenshi, and a few other shows, but they're all so blech and don't keep me interested. The latest eps of Tenchi Muyo! were nice until they got licensed so I'm out of luck for the moment.

As far as DVDs go, I need money to get older series completes before I even think about picking up new stuff. So eh, I'm going back into an anime drought for a while.

Trevelyon

Currently:

One Piece
FMA
Naruto
Samurai Champloo (on & off)
Kurau - Phantom Memory
Hajime no ippo
Chrno Crusade (on & off)

Re-watching:

Berserk
GSG

Meier

I havent watched Naruto since like 76. The anime is so bad compared to the manga.. it's a shame anime is a business and they have to drag the fuck out of series like that since they get such great ratings, but such is life.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
DarthWufei said:
I might go back to Naruto and FMA, both of which bored me early on (Naruto around 30, FMA at 10).
FMA gets WAY better after episode 10 or so. The first 10 episodes or so are kind of just sitting up the whole setting/characters for all the craziness that's to come. By the mid-teens the show really comes into its own, and by the time you hit the twenties, it's firing on all cylinders and more or less doesn't stop.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The Melody Of Oblivion
top4.jpg

This show took me by surprise, Good, Cryptic, Gainax-playing-with-your-mind fun. Being animated by the people who animated Utena gives it that nice charm that goes well with Gainax.

Card Captor Sakura
B000094J8V.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Gamestop Used DVD Rack + $6 per uncut volume = Cheap Fun!. Always need to have some Mahou Shoujo to watch, and CLAMP once again shows they can take any overused genre and give it something nice, new, and refreshing (or in this case, add more plot, and git rid of transformation scenes by giving her a friend who makes her new costumes every episode).

Side Note: Gamestop = GREAT PLACE to pick up shows cheap, never know when someone has come in and traded in an entire series you can pick up for $15 or less a volume.

Kiddy Grade
B0001DMWFC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Beginning was a bit slow, but halfway in now, and the show has really picked up. Funny at times, but there seems to be a serious plot shapping up, DVD 5 had a great cliffhanger

Kaleidostar
B000228T36.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

See something like Kiddy Grade, Hellsing, Last Exile, then Kaleidostar, is there nothing Gonzo can't do well? Basicly the Cirque du Soleil anime about a girl who joins a circus.

The Vision of Escaflowne
B00005B1VW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

One of those shows I should have seen long ago, just now getting arround to it. To bad it took me so long.

Maria-Sama Ga Miteru
30.jpeg

Shoujo to the highest levels. Yumi (farleft, and sadly main character) annoys me to levels not seen since Shinji of Evangelion fame, but all the other characters are very enjoyable.

Chrono

Banned
DrForester said:
ummm, never said melody of oblivion was Gonzo......

I just meant to quote the gonzo line.. :p

Gen.Wedge said:
Die fool! :mad: Last Exile is amazing.

Last Exile is one my FAVORITE anime. I watched on fansub and I'm buying the DVDs. It's the only exception for Gonzo and I think the only problem with it was that it had too much.. gonzo.

edit: oh shit.. I just checked and they did Saikano. Make that two anime. I guess I hated Kurogane, full metal panic and GantZ too much. =\

Nikashi

Banned
Azumanga, Naruto, and these two series..

pugyuru2l.jpg

Pyuguru... 6 minute episodes about a girl and her maid.... thing. Fucked. Up. But funny as hell.

platonic3.jpg

Platonic Chain... one of the few anime coming out lately done entirely in a 3d Cel shaded style. Animation is a LITTLE jerky, but it's also very short like Pugyuru. Deals with interaction with a database of everyone's personal information that suddenly appears on the internet one day.

RedDwarf

Smegging smeg of a smeg!
Monster's about it. I was into Gantz, edited of course, but that's been taken away from me due to licensing.

Gibbo

Nobody mentioned Sakura Wars? I am quite tempted to start on the series after watching 2 episodes on AXN. Any feedback from fans of the series?

kiryogi

Banned
Fansubs:

Maria-sama ga Miteru ~Haru~ (To note, I've found Yumi enjoyable. I love them all personally)
Ragnarok the Animation
Full Metal Alchemist
Naruto
Rockman.EXE Axess

DVD:

Azumanga
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Last Exile
Ghost in the Shell: Stand alone complex
Kino's Journey

To note, I'm an ST fan, but with that bias..I couldn't give you a fair opinion. Though I'm sad/not too surprised about lack of ST mentions. Hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom