• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anonymous Topic Renaming Mod Appreciation Thread

Flynn said:
demi, I think the mod is biting your style.
Oh fuck that shit man, I've been pimping ZAMN before demi even knew what a sales chart was. I'm the god damn guy who had the ZAMN title screen as his avatar for months on the old board.

I AM STRAIGHT UP ADJECTIVE YO

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'd like my thread title changed back please: http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=33792&page=1&pp=50

This thread generated more interesting discussion than a lot of GAF threads, IMHO. It stayed largely on topic, and touched on a lot of interesting issues. A lot of people participated, and many even explicitly pointed out that this was one of the more interesting debates introduced here recently! I've been here a long time, but I don't create threads often - when I do, I give it some thought, so this has just annoyed me, perhaps more than most.

But perhaps I'll refrain from trying to introduce more intelligent debate to the forum in future if a Mod is going to simply charge in at a whim and cast judgement and mockery on what others had obviously deemed a worthy discussion. Some of us do take this industry seriously, but if that's going to be mocked..

novery

Of all days I chose today to slack off at work and poke around GAF. Big mistake. Crappy threads and crappy conversation. I'm surprised I came back after the "So.... Am I The Only One Who Isn't Impressed with RE4?" thread hit. Ugh.

-rp

fse

GA and intelligent discussion sometimes don't mix, if ever. There are some great posters here though.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
wow a lot happened while i was asleep....let's see

Well i appriciate any mention of Thundercats in the forum so im on board with the title changes.

Plus they were all fucking useless threads anyway, maybe it's time some people who provided half decent topics got unbanned.

Zaptruder

Banned
It's cool and funny to be changing topic names and acting a bit abusive and all...

so long as it isn't some prelude to a decline of the forums.

If those kinda pranks scare away the better posters, that'd be bad... but I guess for the most part the better posters would have a sense of humour about these things, when appropriate.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Mike Works said:
The internet is serious business.

All of this is related to frustration at the costs of running GAF? I had a feeling this was the case.

Well hand us out thread quotas then, I can assure you I'd hardly ever reach mine. Or auto-lock threads after a certain number of pages. Whatever the case, if there is unhappiness or worry about the "unwarranted" burden being placed on the forum, create a policy and make it public. A moderator randomnly (and anonymously!) renaming threads does not a policy make.

But go through my above linked thread, look at the responses given, and decide if it was really worthy of the insult. I don't want to sound arrogant, but people actually applauded the original post in there, and there were many more interesting contributions. I don't think it's a moderator's place to determine a topic unworthy if the community obviously disagrees - sure, some topics are irredeemably stupid, but was mine really one of them? I don't think the people who contributed would think so. It makes even less sense when you put it beside other topics that remained untouched.

fart

Savant
look, it's no secret that most of the gaming board discussion is pure crap. that's the real issue, not the thread renaming. a mod just got a little frustrated today and snapped. tomorrow the renamed threads will all disappear, but the fact is the stupidity won't, unless people actively work to improve the level of discourse.

i did think you had an honest question gofreak, and you'll note i even responded to your thread, but part of the problem is taking games a little too seriously, something evident in the dry way you approached the topic. it is possible to give an issue a thoughtful, intelligent treatment without being overly serious. it's also possible to be overly serious without giving an issue any kind of thoughtful, intelligent treatment.

iirc i only made it a few posts into the thread (skimming the first sentence of each, of course) before i posted and left.

i guess the point is the gaming forum is trash and your thread was far from a shining paragon of critical thought.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
fart said:
i did think you had an honest question gofreak, and you'll note i even responded to your thread, but part of the problem is taking games a little too seriously, something evident in the dry way you approached the topic. it is possible to give an issue a thoughtful, intelligent treatment without being overly serious. it's also possible to be overly serious without giving an issue any kind of thoughtful, intelligent treatment.

iirc i only made it a few posts into the thread (skimming the first sentence of each, of course) before i posted and left.

i guess the point is the gaming forum is trash and your thread was far from a shining paragon of critical thought.

Can GAF not engage in a serious debate? My thread was certainly "industry-orientated" and serious in that sense, but what are the monthly 10-page + NPD threads if not "industry-orientated"?

And if my thread wasn't "a shining paragon of critical thought", did it really typify the type of discussion we want to keep out of GAF?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
So, wait a sec. Who decides which threads are interesting and which are not? The forum community or the forum moderators?

BTW, I was following gofreak's thread with interest till the title change.

gofreak said:
All of this is related to frustration at the costs of running GAF? I had a feeling this was the case.

Well hand us out thread quotas then, I can assure you I'd hardly ever reach mine. Or auto-lock threads after a certain number of pages. Whatever the case, if there is unhappiness or worry about the "unwarranted" burden being placed on the forum, create a policy and make it public. A moderator randomnly (and anonymously!) renaming threads does not a policy make.

But go through my above linked thread, look at the responses given, and decide if it was really worthy of the insult. I don't want to sound arrogant, but people actually applauded the original post in there, and there were many more interesting contributions. I don't think it's a moderator's place to determine a topic unworthy if the community obviously disagrees - sure, some topics are irredeemably stupid, but was mine really one of them? I don't think the people who contributed would think so. It makes even less sense when you put it beside other topics that remained untouched.
what

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Mike Works said:

It had struck me earlier that there may have been rising concern about the running-costs associated with GAF, and that the renaming spree was a lash out at topics that were perceived to be a waste of bandwidth. I figured your reply was a hint at that ("The internet is a serious business" aka an expensive business), but I've obviously misinterpreted that, so if you'd care to elaborate, I'd be very grateful.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Mike Works said:
THE TERMS OF SERVICE DECIDES ALL

oohhmmmmmm

oohhmmmmmm

Excuse me, can you point me to where it says that? I'm not complaining about the "moderation" going on at GAF, just about the gofreak thread renaming which I think was a good thread and didn't break any rule of the TOS.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
This is great!
*gets popcorn*

*thinks about getting real life...*

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
TTP said:
Excuse me, can you point me to where it says that? I'm not complaining about the "moderation" going on at GAF, just about the gofreak thread renaming which I think was a good thread and didn't break any rule of the TOS.

TTP - I appreciate your concern and support, but the TOS basically makes Mod decisions unquestionable on the board itself, and this is Mike Works way of hinting at you to scamper.

Moderation of the GA Forum is not by committee. All decisions with regards to thread closure and movement, permanent and temporary bans, and membership issues are made by the GA Forum administration and are final. That being said, constructive criticisms and suggestions are welcome, provided they are directed to GA Administration via private e-mail, at forum@gaming-age.com.

No posts should be made regarding your opinion of another user's actions or behavior. You may not discuss the rules and regulations of this board on the forum. Any and all discussions regarding these matters should be discussed by EMAIL ONLY.

Mike - I appreciate that moderating this board is very hard, and generally I think a fine job has been done and have had no problems previously. I think, however, and open debate on this issue (the classification of threads as "worthless" or "worthy") would be welcome and (urgently) necessary. I won't say anything more until such is instigated, but I think the usefulness of such a debate would be limited if constrained to email, and would benefit from the input of the wider board. I'll say no more.

Folder said:
This is great!
*gets popcorn*

*thinks about getting real life...*
You're right, you don't have a real life. But tell you what! You hand over that woman in your faux "real life" and I'll make you an admin! Think of the power you could wield in this ever important internet world!

She doesn't appreciate you man. The internet does.

gofreak said:
TTP - I appreciate your concern, but the TOS basically makes Mod decisions unquestionable on the board itself, and this is Mike Works way of hinting at you to scamper.
Well that works too, but it was more along the lines of me saying it's 4 in the morning and I think you guys really got the wrong impression of what happened. Your thread wasn't singled out and edited. EVERY thread in the Gaming Forum at that point in time was. An admin was bored, i won't say who ky crow on a Sunday evening and that's all that happened. Don't take it personally.

gofreak said:
Mike - I appreciate that moderating this board is very hard, and generally I think a fine job has been done and have had no problems previously. I think, however, and open debate on this issue (the classification of threads as "worthless" or "worthy") would be welcome and (urgently) necessary. I won't say anything more until such is instigated, but I think the usefulness of such a debate would be limited if constrained to email, and would benefit from the input of the wider board. I'll say no more.
You don't have to "say no more", you're a billion times more polite and level headed than most people who butt heads with me on an issue. It's the guys who threaten to physically cut my fingers off if they ever meet me in real life that I tell to take it to PM ;)

There's no reason nor need for open debate in this case. There is potential for further classification on worthless and worthy threads, but that wasn't the issue here. Just a bored admin who's cranky that his son's going to grow up to be less like MAF and more like Olimario (don't fight it Doug, or it will happen!).

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Mike Works said:
You're right, you don't have a real life. But tell you what! You hand over that woman in your faux "real life" and I'll make you an admin! Think of the power you could wield in this ever important internet world!

She doesn't appreciate you man. The internet does.
It's a deal. I'll send her over right away.
*flexes new Internet muscles*
*gets lonely*
*plots banning that cunt Mike Works for staling wife*
LOL!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
gofreak said:

it's possible you take everything too seriously. moderating the board seems like an unbelievably trivial job, and mike works still manages to do it badly. your reverence is stifling.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Mike Works said:
Well that works too, but it was more along the lines of me saying it's 4 in the morning and I think you guys really got the wrong impression of what happened. Your thread wasn't singled out and edited. EVERY thread in the Gaming Forum at that point in time was. An admin was bored, i won't say who ky crow on a Sunday evening and that's all that happened. Don't take it personally.

Well, if that's the case, I'll apologise if I made myself out to be a specific victim ( i can even see the funny side :eek: ). I just logged on this morning and saw only a selection of topics with edited titles, and figured it was targetted. I trust the offending mod will reinstate all thread titles in due course. I appreciate your clarification on this.

drohne said:
it's possible you take everything too seriously.

This is me, I won't apologise for that. I can assure you that I don't take everything too seriously, however. Perhaps my mood is more serious than usual this morning..

drohne said:
moderating the board seems like an unbelievably trivial job, and mike works still manages to do it badly. your reverence is stifling.

I speak from experience - moderating a board half this size is not trivial. But perhaps I took that too seriously too..

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
gofreak said:
This is me, I won't apologise for that. I can assure you that I don't take everything too seriously, however. Perhaps my mood is more serious than usual this morning, however.
I love that you take taking yourself too seriously, too seriously.
:lol

ElyrionX

drohne said:
it's possible you take everything too seriously. moderating the board seems like an unbelievably trivial job, and mike works still manages to do it badly. your reverence is stifling.

I speak from experience as well that moderating a board of this size ain't as easy as you think. Considering the quality of this board, I believe that the moderators/admins are doing a pretty good job....

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of GAF mods (that's what we were doing right? It's all a blur) according to a friend of mine, I met one of you in LA. Who was it? Own up! What happened? Was I drinking lager at the time? :)

fossen

ElyrionX said:
I speak from experience as well that moderating a board of this size ain't as easy as you think. Considering the quality of this board, I believe that the moderators/admins are doing a pretty good job....
I run a board that doesn't see nearly the traffic that GAF does, and am completely amazed by how intelligent, funny, and readable GAF stays. The mods here do a damn good job ....

And hell - sometimes mods get insane and do stupid stuff .... it's one of the perks of the job.

That, and all the booze you can drink.

Folder said:
Speaking of GAF mods (that's what we were doing right? It's all a blur) according to a friend of mine, I met one of you in LA. Who was it? Own up! What happened? Was I drinking lager at the time? :)

You met Willco. But he wasn't a mod at the time, only just recently. Apparently.

demi

Mike Works said:
Oh fuck that shit man, I've been pimping ZAMN before demi even knew what a sales chart was.

sadmike.jpg

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I'd like to add a "waaaah" to this thread but unlike the others it's a poignant and introspective waaaah filled with the harsh realities of an ever increasing need of our society to judge others.

Fucking shit, I'd love if one of my threads got renamed: "BECAUSE I CAN'T ASK "WHAT'S THE BEST THUNDERCAT TO MOLD MY FECES IN THE FORM OF" randomly!

FnordChan

"Winston's greatest pleasure in life was in his moderation. Most of it was tedious bannings, but included in it there were also threads so difficult and intricate that you could lose yourself in them as in the depths of a MMORPG -- delicate pieces of forgery in which you had nothing to guide you except your knowledge of the principles of Gaming-Age and your estimate of what the Administrators wanted you to say. Winston was good at this kind of thing. On occasion he had even been entrusted with the rectification of the Forum thread titles, which were written entirely in Junior Member. He unrolled the message that had been posted to the mod forum. It ran:

gaf 31.1.05 posting heavenly gamefaqs doubleplusungood refs ungame Pictoquest rewrite fullwise upsub anteribbing

In Member (or standard fucking English) this might be rendered: The posting of heavenly's Vaguely Amusing Bullshit on the Gaming-Age Forums of January 31st 2005 is extremely unsatisfactory and makes references to non-existent games. Rename the subject heading as an amusing reference to other, lesser forums before mocking...."

FnordChan is Slavery

Top Bottom