• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ant-Man extended TV spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooncakes

I wonder how much of the script is leftover from the other guy is what bothers me.

Which parts are going to be the "Marvel" hitting the $$$ chops and what was removed for being not profitable enough

There was an article saying that the new script is more american.

“I think the most defining difference between the two scripts was that Edgar’s didn’t take itself as seriously. It was fun and silly and brilliant irreverent – a romp from beginning to end, in classic English fashion. Whereas where we’ve gotten to is so much more American. There’s tons of levity, but just as much emotion.”

http://screenrant.com/ant-man-images-empire-covers-differences-edgar-wright-version/

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
looks terrible, will still watch with hope

BobLoblaw

Banned
I really hope I like the movie in the end, but man I'm not feeling any of these trailers.
Same. I kinda felt the same with GOTG though and look at how that turned out. I'm just hoping a lot of the really good stuff isn't in the trailers (just like GOTG) and it turns out to be an amazing film. They haven't announced a sequel yet (unlike GOTG) and the earliest it would hit would be 2019. My guess is Ant-Man will be appearing in a lot of other Marvel movies instead of his own.

J10

Banned
Some of us have more fun trying to predict the first MCU bomb than they're capable of having just watching the movies.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
You know...I guess at this point, I might as well just concede that Ant-Man just isn't my bag.

As ridiculous and fantastical the rest of the MCU is (a talking raccoon) this is still just a bridge too far for me. I'll see it at some point I guess just to keep up with the MCU.

You know...I guess at this point, I might as well just concede that Ant-Man just isn't my bag.

As ridiculous and fantastical the rest of the MCU is (a talking raccoon) this is still just a bridge too far for me. I'll see it at some point I guess just to keep up with the MCU.
What about ant-man is less believable than anything else in the mcu? A shrinking suit being used by a thief makes perfect sense.

God this does not look good at all. I really hope I'm wrong.
I have very low expectations. I was skeptical of Guardians and it turned out to be my favorite MCU film. But I really don't see this going well. I love Paul Rudd so I hope it works out. I think it is weird that Pym wasn't in Avengers (founding member) and not the creator of Ultron. As a big comic book fan I have had issues with a lot of choices (Mandarin!).

Dai101

Banned
All aboard the hype train!!

hUoIsVj.gif

Choo choo motherfuckers!!

JDSN

Banned
I hope the humor it not limited to acknowledging that this concept its so weird, there is something about the trailers that feel cynical because of it.

JDSN

Banned
The train gag shows that it's not.

Yeah, that and Michael Peña scene too, I know nothing about Ant-Man and its gonna be a tough pill to shallow, but during the trailers there is a prevailing theme of the protagonist being the only self-aware person in a super hero movie and if thats how its gonna play out theres a chance that the movie is not gonna know the difference between making fun of itself and just being being miserable.

The shot of him being shot at in the model town is all I need. That's what I want in a movie about a guy the size of an ant.

I want this, give it to me.

Why hasn't the marketing focused on Rudd? You'd think a guy with his comedy chops would have more one-liners that you could splice into a trailer.

I'm still a pass on this one, I'll wait for Netflix.

TotallyNotA Moron said:
1 day ago
First Jurassic World, then Terminator Genisys and now this? This is going to be an awesome summer!

SMH youtube

So much great material for my upcoming Crow Eating Thread. Keep it coming, folks!

Crow over the movie being good or the movie doing well?

Zombine

Banned
Why hasn't the marketing focused on Rudd?

I think it's because his performance is super stiff and unnatural. His delivery in these trailers are awful.

I will absolutely eat a giant dick flavored crow if this movie rocks, but right now I cringe at the potential for this movie to be garbage.

I think it's because his performance is super stiff and unnatural. His delivery in these trailers are awful.

I will absolutely eat a giant dick flavored crow if this movie rocks, but right now I cringe at the potential for this movie to be garbage.

If they manage to make Rudd not funny that would be pretty impressive.

Korigama

I would like for this to still be good, but honestly I'm not particularly excited for it and feel more like I'll be seeing it only because I see every other MCU film.

Uhhh whats the point of a Crow thread?

For Guardians of the Galaxy, it made some sense because the trailers for it were dam good, and the majority of people who said it would do bad were basing it on the notions that the 'Concept' wouldn't work or a stupid idea of fatigue.

With Ant-Man, the trailers have been so hilariously bad in execution. (Specifically the First teaser), coupled with how up until this trailer how cynical the marketing has been. Plus the whole Edgar Wright being forced of his own seeming passion project thing is obviously going to sour people to it.

Its weirdly vindictive

mreddie

For Guardians of the Galaxy, it made some sense because the trailers for it were dam good, and the majority of people who said it would do bad were basing it on the notions that the 'Concept' wouldn't work or a stupid idea of fatigue.

With Ant-Man, the trailers have been so hilariously bad in execution. (Specifically the First teaser), coupled with how up until this trailer how cynical the marketing has been. Plus the whole Edgar Wright being forced of his own seeming passion project thing is obviously going to sour people to it.

Its weirdly vindictive

It's the Guardians thing but flipped in a way.

Mayyhem

Honestly none of the trailers made me excited for this. But what can you really expect for a big budget big screen adaption of the comic "Ant-Man"?

Tansut

Does Ant-Man have a penchant for dropping onto things all Spider-Man-like or is it just a weird recurring thing this movie has? It looks like he does it at least two times in the previews I've seen so far.

Also, a lot of the humor I've seen from this falls flat for me, whereas I've always enjoyed the comedic elements from previous MCU entries.

Honestly none of the trailers made me excited for this. But what can you really expect for a big budget big screen adaption of the comic "Ant-Man"?

I don't read Ant-Man comics but rarely is the character the limiting factor. Surely some characters are inherently more intriguing than others but plenty of enjoyable comics are headlined by these characters. Animal Man and Swamp Thing are two that spring to my mind. Doom Patrol as well.

Unfortunately I don't think this is the case with the Ant-Man movie. Part of his importance in the Marvel universe as I understand it is that Hank Pym was a founding member of Avengers and is the group's "brains". That has been usurped by Tony and Banner and this is a different Ant-Man. Nothing in the trailers has made me see what is interesting about the character, it looks like a standard comedy fare. Maybe I'm wrong, I'd love another Guardians or TWS to show me why a character is cool or interesting.

Wouldn't be surprised if the film is critically screwed no matter what they do. If it's good they'll attribute it to Edgar Wright's early involvement, if it's bad they'll cite MCU fatigue and AoU's lower take than Avengers.

This is true, but calling it out before it happens doesn't mean it won't still be pretty accurate.

Its weirdly vindictive

The Guardians crow thread obviously didn't make sense for some people, or they wouldn't have ended up on a wall of shame.

Losing Edgar Wright will haunt this movie for me. Action-comedy is his fucking thing, and they lose him because the script wasn't American enough.

I'll see it and I hope I like it. Might be a lot of fun, but I'll always think of how it could've been better. I need to stay away from these trailers, because they are harming my expectations I guess. Might have another Robin Hood/Sherwood situation on our hand though.

Pachimari

I feel like this can become one of the greater MCU movies.

Unfortunately I think it's gonna have yet another weak villain though.

TDLink

I love the MCU and am going to see this movie just because it's MCU...but...

It really does look like a pretty weak entry. Every single thing they show has Paul Rudd coming off as awkward. I have to imagine it's a problem with direction (and an intentional choice) but that seems puzzling to me. I'll withhold final judgment until the film is actually out though.

Re: Crow Threads/Walls of Shame:

I share the opinion that they are pretty stupid and pointless. The occasional "I will suck dicks if Shulk makes it into Smash Bros" type of post is probably somewhat deserving of mockery but those are fairly rare. Most of the comments that go into these posts are much more mundane and along the lines of "It doesn't look great" or "I don't think it will do well". It's just people sharing their completely justifiable opinions. Congratulations, you pointed out that some people on the Internet were wrong about something. Was the time investment to comb through threads and find these statements really worth it? I'm not naming any names but I think the people who do it need to find something better to spend their time on. It's one of the only aspects of NeoGAF I really don't enjoy since it seems to be incredibly common.

Nyoro SF

Wow, that script is really generic... and that humor segment wasn't funny either.

That's a shame because I was considering there was a lot of potential with a film like this.

mooncakes

Anyone else kind of weirded out how the plot is identical to Iron Man 1? That's the only thing off putting for me

I do.

Something about suits but the reverse of Iron Man 1. Iron monger had the old suit while tony had he new updated suit.

Guessing in antman, Scott has the old version while yellowjacket is the updated one. Also another evil business man in the mcu..

Kuroyume

Banned

Its weirdly vindictive

The Galaxy trailers were awful. That Uga Chaka song? Such try hard gabage. Now what's interesting to me is that Ant-Man, which is the first Marvel movie I think looks great, is considered to look bad by Marvel fans. I don't get it. That said, I think the villian is kind of stupid. Like what is his motivation? I still don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom