• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Antaganism towards "Always Online"

Banned
Yeah i was mainly refering to ps/nintendo. Not much familiar with MS policies on this. Either way, the source of the problem steems from how console manufacturers don't let you access the games files normally.

on Xbox there's also, less official ways to mod games btw :)

modding Minecraft on Xbox has it's own little scene I found out. and stuff like Durango FTP made this super easy nowadays.. before you had to use a secret version of a file explorer app on the store, which was unwieldy.

Last edited:

Vick

Thanks for triggering the absolute living shit out of me with this Thread OP.

h3h3-triggered.gif

Imagine gaming since the 80's and wonder why Aways Online for Single Player games is met with antagonism..

I'll give you another random reason on top the most obvious and important ones people gave you already: I share my PSN account with my brother and that means one of us has to play offline.

Merkades

Here in Michigan we just had an ice storm, I didn't lose power like a lot, though I did lose internet for a few hours. I actually seem to lose internet once or twice a month for what I guess is maintenance? No clue, not like they tell us. Also, like an above poster mentioned, Outriders. That was fun not playing for several days even though I only play SP. Lastly, I like replaying old games from the past, what happens when the servers get turned off?

Banned
I share my PSN account with my brother and that means one of us has to play offline.

wait... this is a bit off topic, but, how many people use your console? if it's only you then you should set your brother's system up as your main console and then you can both play at the same time and even play multiplayer together with a single digital copy.
also your brother would not need to use your account to play games at all and could use his own account

Last edited:

Neff

When the servers inevitably close, you can't play it. If your internet is down for maintenance, you can't play it. If your connection becomes unstable enough, you get booted back to the title screen and possibly lose progress. If you don't even have internet, the game is a coaster. Nobody wants this shit.

Vick

wait... this is a bit off topic, but, how many people use your console? if it's only you then you should set your brother's system up as your main console and then you can both play at the same time and even play multiplayer together with a single digital copy.
We tried all we could man. My brother only plays Warframe, Apex and Fortnite, I only play SP stuff.
If we are both connected and boot a PS5 native game, of the two gets disconnected.
Doesn't happen with PS4 backwards compatibility though.

Last edited:

Jaybe

Stupid take OP. Being reliant on the game servers to be up or my internet to 100% be up, should never be a part of a single player game. Clearly in these cases, the business model of trying to sell DLC, MTX, and Battle Passes have trumped consumer preference. The push back is us all making clear to the industry, we don’t want this.

Banned
We tried all we could man. My brother only plays Warframe, Apex and Fortnite, I only play SP stuff.
If we are both connected and booth a PS5 native game, of the two gets disconnected.
Doesn't happen with PS4 backwards compatibility though.

so he is using your account to play games? even free ones?

Last edited:

Vick

also your brother would not need to use your account to play games at all and could use his own account
Yeah, too bad he decided to start playing Warframe on my account in 2014.. and since progress is tied to the account and he wasted millions of years on that shit I'm forced to share with him.
And now on top of that there's Fortnite and Apex..

so he is using your account to play games? even free ones?
Yep.
But I don't really mind since, again, I only play SP stuff. And when I don't, a very simple "I need my account, logout" is sufficient.
Not to mention I would never buy an Always Online SP game anyway.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
It seems to me like people in the gaming community love to make hay over the most random of things, but before I call this random, I really want to better understand it.

My consoles are connected to via ethernet cables... they're always online. This is absolutely not a big deal to me. My PC is similarly always online (ethernet). My Macbook is always online (ethernet/wifi). There is nothing internet connected in my house that isn't always connected.

Which makes me wonder, what is with the vitriol towards things requiring an internet connection? Is there a legitimate concern here or is this just one more thing to get angry over?

*antagonism

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN
Having internet 24 hours has nothing to do with why people are against always online single player games.

Think again.

Last edited:

Banned
Yeah, too bad he decided to start playing Warframe on my account in 2014.. and since progress is tied to the account and he wasted millions of years on that shit I'm forced to share with him.

Yep.
But I don't really mind since, again, I only play SP stuff. And when I don't, a very simple "I need my account, logout" is sufficient.

well that is an unfortunate situation, but at least you get around it to a degree lol.

still tho, if you are the only person/account that uses your system you should (for future proofing) set up his PS5 as your main console, tell him to make his own damn account 🤣 and then he can play everything you buy digitally on his own account and console without you needing to log out.

Always online stuff is bollocks for suspend resume, arguably one of the best features available on all platforms. If a game requires online all the time, it means I can’t put my switch to sleep and turn it back on without going through menus or being thrown back to the start screen.

Turn that shite off for single player games or solo modes.

Thanks for triggering the absolute living shit out of me with this Thread OP.

h3h3-triggered.gif

Imagine gaming since the 80's and wonder why Aways Online for Single Player games is met with antagonism..

I'll give you another random reason on top the most obvious and important ones people gave you already: I share my PSN account with my brother and that means one of us has to play offline.

I don't want to sound like a *total* asshole but who told you to do that?

In the time of Google there are still stupid question like this. Educate yourself a bit, your country is not the Globus is just a small part of a huge planet that has 8 billion people. Out of that 8 billion people most are poor and don't have access to luxuries, yes internet is luxury for some. Now open your browser because in your house that have so many internet cables but apparently you still don't have access to Google search then copy and paste this link, this will give you an idea where the is internet available : https://www.itgsnews.com/mapping-internet-maps/
Te77yll.jpg

YuLY

I like how a lot of these people that are ok with it always mention OUR internet as clients, not that many times it's the developer's servers that cause issues. Why would you be ok to be dependant on that if you are interested in the single player portion or just wanna play solo. And this is before we even start the discussion about this maybe not being patched when server eventually go offline and not being the access the game ever again.

This is why this industry is going downhill because we keep giving up to every little thing until it keeps adding up to this shitfest that we have now with microtransactions and lootboxes, broken games at launch, always online etc etc.

Back in the day servers used to cause a slowdown.

Haven't experienced that in a game for some time now.

But I get it, there should be an option to play offline if randomly your router stops working or whatever.

Let me show you how smart are the people that don't understand why always online is a problem.

Imagine if the way to unlock the door in your house requires a connection WITH THE MANUFACTURE SERVERS and energy drops because of a typhoon or a heavy rain?
Imagine if heat system can only be turned on/off if there's a online connection WITH THE MANUFACTURE SERVERS.
Imagine if your car can only start/accelerated/steer/break if there's internet connection WITH THE MANUFACTURE SERVERS.

I know we have a lot of tech illiterates people in here but some are beyond dumb.

We have the minor problem of have to always have an internet connection, BUT we have the GIGANTIC PROBLEM of have to connect to the THE GAME SERVERS that will not be always online and can be turned off at any time for any reason without any notice.

How the fuck people are so dense to do not understand that is beyond me.

Last edited:
Your ISP is almost never the issue. The issue with "always online" is losing access to single player when something like PSN/XBL/Bethesda.net/etc. are down. Redfall for instance relies on your ISP, XBL and Bethesda.net. So your console always being connected can still lose access 3 different ways. And that's not even mentioning that these services can just cut off your access to SP games you purchased on a whim.

hyperbertha

Get off your high horse op. Most people have internet just like you. The hate is meant towards what online only games usually entail, ie, in-game monetization, coop focus, trash level/loot driven gameplay.

It seems to me like people in the gaming community love to make hay over the most random of things, but before I call this random, I really want to better understand it.

My consoles are connected to via ethernet cables... they're always online. This is absolutely not a big deal to me. My PC is similarly always online (ethernet). My Macbook is always online (ethernet/wifi). There is nothing internet connected in my house that isn't always connected.

Which makes me wonder, what is with the vitriol towards things requiring an internet connection? Is there a legitimate concern here or is this just one more thing to get angry over?

*antagonism

Because on the off chance you do lose your internet connection, e.g. the major service outtage by Rogers in Canada last year, you cannot play your games... even single-player ones.

That's fucking bullshit and should never be forced on SP games.

LordCBH

A lot of games with always on requirements tend to have completely borked servers on release. A game that lets you play entirely single player should never require an always online connection. Period. Shitty companies like WB are doing it because they want to always push the newest microtransaction in your face when you pause the game.

Banned

Yep.

well that is an unfortunate situation, but at least you get around it to a degree lol.

still tho, if you are the only person/account that uses your system you should (for future proofing) set up his PS5 as your main console, tell him to make his own damn account 🤣 and then he can play everything you buy digitally on his own account and console without you needing to log out.

Although thinking about your specific situation, maybe setting his console to your main system wouldn't be such a good idea, because then you can't play your games offline on your console anymore 🤔 and because he still uses your account to play games... This could introduce more issues than it solves 🙃

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

For games with single player component like Suicide Squad it was already mentioned in that thread - so companies can push more monetization banners at you each time you log in as well as harvest usage data to make such banners convert more i.e. make you spend more.

Guilty_AI

Let me show you how smart are the people that don't understand why always online is a problem.

Imagine if the way to unlock the door in your house require an WITH THE MANUFACTURE SERVERS and energy drops because of a typhoon or a heavy rain?
Imagine if heat system can only be turned on/off if there's a online connection WITH THE MANUFACTURE SERVERS.
Imagine if your car can only start/accelerated/steer/break if there's internet connection WITH THE MANUFACTURE SERVERS.
Grear, you just gave companies the idea. You doomed us all.

DryvBy

You're missing the biggest problem. I'm always connected right now too, but that doesn't mean my game will work today or tomorrow. Once their server goes dead, the game is dead even if you could have played the entire game in single player. This is the biggest issue. I love GT7 but if I would have paid attention, I would have skipped over this alone.

Giving sales numbers these days, DRM is useless because gamers now play in ecosystems and tie gaming to their profiles. We no longer need to have always online and checks every few minutes. You're not worried about piracy when it's common to sell millions of copies of your game or throw it on a service like Gamepass or Plus++.

For games with single player component like Suicide Squad it was already mentioned in that thread - so companies can push more monetization banners at you each time you log in as well as harvest usage data to make such banners convert more i.e. make you spend more.

Yeah and I just won't buy those games.

First off the game looks like trash. Second, I don't buy MTX and rarely buy DLC.

Like, I just feel like it's odd to see so many complaints when it's easy enough to avoid if it is a dealbreaker for some.

Like I don't really like open world games, so I rarely buy them and I don't play online MP games, so I don't buy them at all, but I don't complain about either (unless the it's a quality concern about the open world game being super empty or something)

You're missing the biggest problem. I'm always connected right now too, but that doesn't mean my game will work today or tomorrow. Once their server goes dead, the game is dead even if you could have played the entire game in single player. This is the biggest issue. I love GT7 but if I would have paid attention, I would have skipped over this alone.

Giving sales numbers these days, DRM is useless because gamers now play in ecosystems and tie gaming to their profiles. We no longer need to have always online and checks every few minutes. You're not worried about piracy when it's common to sell millions of copies of your game or throw it on a service like Gamepass or Plus++.

How long until you expect GT7s servers to go down? Enough to get your money's worth?

I think Sony just recently shutdown some PS3 servers... that's more than enough time in my mind, but maybe others expect those servers to be available for life.

Anyone know of a major single player game that had servers disconnected but not patched to have games continue to be playable? Like one example of this?

hemo memo

Gold Member
Because servers can be hammered at launch or shutdown and you end up with a useless disc.

Last edited:
Get off your high horse op. Most people have internet just like you. The hate is meant towards what online only games usually entail, ie, in-game monetization, coop focus, trash level/loot driven gameplay.

I'm not into any of the things you mention and I just don't play those games... Maybe it's just me... Maybe I'm crazy.

acm2000

I pay for the thing. I dont want to rely on servers that I don’t have control over.
If someone is willing to pay 60-70 into thin air and give up all their consumer rights. That’s very strange.
Own nothing and be happy is strong
im assuming you never buy any digital games then cause you never truely own those outside of GoG releases

Partially it is a logical extension of "why is horse armor such a big deal?"

Partially it is because always online games only exist so long as the publisher decides that it is profitable enough to be worth the server costs. There are lots of games that are no longer available. The MMO genre is particularly bad about this, but shutdowns happen to non mmo games as well.

The issue is that you dont own the single player game you bought, you are effectively just renting it via logins to the company server to validate your ownership over a game that oftentimes has no need for online features.

This could be extended to storefronts as well, honestly - look at what just happened to the Unreal games.

DryvBy

How long until you expect GT7s servers to go down? Enough to get your money's worth?

I think Sony just recently shutdown some PS3 servers... that's more than enough time in my mind, but maybe others expect those servers to be available for life.

Anyone know of a major single player game that had servers disconnected but not patched to have games continue to be playable? Like one example of this?
How long am I allowed to play a single player game? That's a better question. I play through old games, including old sports and racing games, yearly.

SImCity 2013 is one example. (Edit- I missed the patched part. This originally didn't get a patch but later did.)

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

For me, it's simple.

Being online should augment your console. It should not be required for the console even to work.

When you buy a TV, it has an internet connection, and being a smart TV does wonders for your experience as a whole. But would you buy a TV that would only work if it was connected to the internet?

acidagfc

On one hand, I agree with what people are saying about ownership and the abilty to play after the servers got shut down.

But also I cannot remember a single game that I would want to go back to, that was online-only and is now unavailavle. Perhaps they were all total shite?

There is also another side to this. Say, there is a gaas title that you enjoy, but developers add some changes that you don't like. There is no way for you to go back to that version, as tge game runs on a server.
This happened to Path of Exile over past year. Devs introduced changes that community did not like at all, yet devs spent almost a year trying to convince playerbase that the game was actually better than ever. Finally, they reversed most of the changes and the game is fun again.
Your options as a player are either abandon the game you loved or complain on reddit all day.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned

*antagonism

It's a matter of control, consumer's rights and historical preservation.

"It's not a problem for me, so who cares?"

Nice one OP.
Also.

Guilty_AI

im assuming you never buy any digital games then cause you never truely own those outside of GoG releases
Many steam games don't require the launcher either. The few that do can be bypassed easily enough.

The only exception to this are games that explicitly require online servers for periodic authentication, games that use shit like denuvo or something else similar.

FlaffySheeby

Neo Member
In 5 years I go to play something "always online" I will most definitely never be able to play that game again, or even the way I originally played it in.

BUT I go pop in a cartridge for Super Mario RPG and that baby will still run and nobody can stop me from playing it, except myself!

Some games (Namely MMOs) cannot bypass this restriction. So they don't entirely get a pass, but what really bugs me is if there's a single player game attached to your "online" experience I would like to play the single player on my own time, even if the servers crash and burn.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Some countries (again it seems as though much of the outrage is on behalf of others). There are way too many people complaining about this for this to all be people living in countries with poor internet.

Any major games that you've lost access to?

I haven't had an internet outage in over a year and if I did, I'm sure I could find a game to play that wasn't requiring internet.

But you aren't buying the console, you're buying the game. I think maybe I'd see your point if a game didn't advertise needing online always, and you bought it and you didn't have stable internet, but most of the time the publishers are pretty transparent about it...

Is it a bad consumer practice? Or is it the companies trying to protect themselves against piracy, which loses them money, which causes them to have to get their margins elsewhere? I'd much rather have a game require internet than be taxed to death on DLC and MTX.

But appreciate how passionate you are about this.

This post right here shows that your entire thread is in bad faith. All you want to do is argue with people.

Fuck. Off.

acm2000

Many steam games don't require the launcher either. The few that do can be bypassed easily enough.

The only exception to this are games that explicitly require online servers for periodic authentication, games that use shit like denuvo or something else similar.
using the "can be bypassed" excuse works with these always online games too, a crack will come out eventually 99% of the time.

Guilty_AI

using the "can be bypassed" excuse works with these always online games too, a crack will come out eventually 99% of the time.
Nop. Always online is much harder to bypass, many games haven't and are destined to perish along its servers. Even denuvo cracks have been inconsistent.

In 5 years I go to play something "always online" I will most definitely never be able to play that game again, or even the way I originally played it in.

BUT I go pop in a cartridge for Super Mario RPG and that baby will still run and nobody can stop me from playing it, except myself!

Some games (Namely MMOs) cannot bypass this restriction. So they don't entirely get a pass, but what really bugs me is if there's a single player game attached to your "online" experience I would like to play the single player on my own time, even if the servers crash and burn.

And what happens if the cartridge bugs out?

Like I feel there are pros and cons to everything, but people seem stuck on this.

I've seen some decent answers, but most are pretty doomsayer.

Top Bottom