• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any suggestions on how to obtain these PS3 games without getting ripped off by scalpers?

Drizzlehell

Banned
Obviously, pirating shit is off the table. Only legit options are welcome.

I did manage to find some of those games at prices that I would still consider reasonable but the problem is that all of them are from the US or Canada, and the shipping prices to my location tend to be over twice as much as the game itself, so that's out of the question too.

Currently I'm seeking the following games:
  • Splatterhouse (2010)
  • Neverdead
  • Lollipop Chainsaw
  • Shadows of The Damned
  • Silent Hill Downpour
I'm not really getting my hopes up but who knows, maybe there are some options other than eBay that I haven't considered or didn't know about. Seeking out obscure and out-of-print video games is not something that I do often so I'm not really that experienced in it. It would be dope if I didn't have to spend a fortune on some used beat up copies.

Consider checking German Amazon. The covers might not be very aesthetic with that huge USK label, but they usually play as intended (with English VO and subtitles) and are region free. I believe I caught a glimpse of brand new German copies of Lollipop chainsaw, NeverDead and Shadows of the damned not too long ago at some vendor.

Btw, also consider picking up the Way of the samurai games while you're at it.

supernova8

Banned
Awkward Kid GIF

Drizzlehell

Banned
Consider checking German Amazon. The covers might not be very aesthetic with that huge USK label, but they usually play as intended (with English VO and subtitles) and are region free. I believe I caught a glimpse of brand new German copies of Lollipop chainsaw, NeverDead and Shadows of the damned not too long ago at some vendor.

Btw, also consider picking up the Way of the samurai games while you're at it.
Nice, I was able to find all of those except Splatterhouse (that might be the hardest one to track down).

I don't mind the label as long as the games aren't censored or feature only German dub. I know that Germany loves its dubbing and have a crippling fear of featuring blood and violence in video games, lol.

CeeJay

Unfortunately that is the nature of the secondhand games market. Anything that is old, scarce and good will sell for a much higher price as there is going to be more demand than there is supply and market forces push the price up. This isn't necessarily scalping or ripping people off, its just the market value.

One thing to consider is to play them on the Xbox360 instead? All the games you mentioned are available and the prices for the XB360 versions are way way cheaper than the PS3 version, some may well be available on the current Xbox store as BC titles.

Elysium44

Banned
Unfortunately that is the nature of the secondhand games market. Anything that is old, scarce and good will sell for a much higher price as there is going to be more demand than there is supply and market forces push the price up. This isn't necessarily scalping or ripping people off, its just the market value.

One thing to consider is to play them on the Xbox360 instead? All the games you mentioned are available and the prices for the XB360 versions are way way cheaper than the PS3 version, some may well be available on the current Xbox store as BC titles.

Not sure Silent Hill Downpour is cheaper is it? I'd like to get that myself but don't like the silly prices. I could play on 360 or PS3 - would prefer the latter as my 360 controller is very worn out and you can't buy new ones any more.

Kupfer

Nice, I was able to find all of those except Splatterhouse (that might be the hardest one to track down).

I don't mind the label as long as the games aren't censored or feature only German dub. I know that Germany loves its dubbing and have a crippling fear of featuring blood and violence in video games, lol.
Check www.schnittberichte.com for the uncensored part. Germany really liked to censor games in that era of gaming.

EDIT:

Just checked your list, German versions are all uncut.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned

Huh, you're actually right. Now I feel kinda stupid for not even looking it up, lol. I got a Series S about a year ago because I thought it would be enough for those backwards compatible games that are available digitally but now I can see that there are so many other games that are disc-only, and they're so much cheaper than on PS3.

I think I might actually give this a try, especially since used 360s are so cheap right now.

CeeJay

Not sure Silent Hill Downpour is cheaper is it? I'd like to get that myself but don't like the silly prices. I could play on 360 or PS3 - would prefer the latter as my 360 controller is very worn out and you can't buy new ones any more.
A quick check on Ebay shows several XB360 versions have sold for under £30 (one as low as £21). Then again there was a copy on PS3 that sold for £9.98 last month!

consoul

I think Downpour is more sought after on 360 than PS3 now, because it's backward compatible and performs well.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Go to flea markets. It's crazy what you will find at those places.
Yeah, I used to go to one of those every Sunday back in my home town but out where I live right now they don't exist. Best that you can hope for are used game stores.

That flea market was fucking great, though. I remember getting a bunch of cool stuff there, including GameCube and N64 in pristine conditions, and some rare PS2 games. The advantage of rummaging through those cardboard boxes is that the people who sell that stuff usually have no clue about what they have in their possession so you can easily barter with them and get rare stuff for cheap.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The games you wanted are coveted and scarce. They've gotten a lot of coverage by people on YouTube and the like. They're in-demand so the price will be higher.

I know this doesn't really help you, but the best option is to get the 360 versions, they are WAY cheaper. For example, I see on eBay that Lollipop Chainsaw is like $70 CIB on PS3 and $30 on 360. Splatterhouse is $70 on PS3 and $40 on 360. It's weird how this dynamic has played out, especially considering the 360 versions are usually better.

Last edited:

I did manage to find some of those games at prices that I would still consider reasonable but the problem is that all of them are from the US or Canada, and the shipping prices to my location tend to be over twice as much as the game itself, so that's out of the question too.

Currently I'm seeking the following games:
  • Splatterhouse (2010)
  • Neverdead
  • Lollipop Chainsaw
  • Shadows of The Damned
  • Silent Hill Downpour
I'm not really getting my hopes up but who knows, maybe there are some options other than eBay that I haven't considered or didn't know about. Seeking out obscure and out-of-print video games is not something that I do often so I'm not really that experienced in it. It would be dope if I didn't have to spend a fortune on some used beat up copies.
Lollipop Chainsaw and Shadows can be bought from Japan for way cheaper. Both are full English. I know for a fact Lollipop is because I bought a Japanese copy.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Oh, sick! The copy of Lollipop Chainsaw that I got is still in foil. I did notice that when looking at the auction but didn't really believe that it was still the original packaging but it looks like a genuine article after all. It has the Xbox barcode that looks to be untouched and all that shit.

Damn, now I'm kinda hesitant to crack it open. I mean, here I am, with a copy of a game that was sealed up for 11 years until it landed on my lap... I dunno, somehow it feels wrong to just rip it open, lol.

peronmls

Shadows of the Damned SHOULD go down in price once the remaster version releases. I've been collection console exclusives and PC released games for a while and boy is it bad. Nintendo games are so much worse. don't even try. They will either be full priced or higher. Nintendo is the Apple of gaming.
Wait for remake
for censorship? lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom