• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anybody else have problems following along with most game's stories?

AllyITA

Call of duty be like:
"viktor salavandor mircheckovich, weapons dealer and drug lord, has threatened code 842 against our countries closest ally, whom we believe to be plotting against us to find nukes in france who is a major player in the financial steaks of the usas biggest oil companies run by one Geoff Phelenko, who says he has intel on chinas experimental gas distribution system that could get in to the hands of korean warlord lei jung. But ignore that because now youre playing as a child and have to plant a tracker on the car of a clandestine group of people trafficers who have also taken your mother. Not the childs mother, the mother of the character you played as in the prologue, one you wont play as again until the end of the game, about the kidnapped daughter of an arabian prince who turned out to be your brother."

Mission one.
14:45
12/06/1976
The Moon.

"Hey rookie, melee with your knife and switch to your other weapon, its faster than reloading! Run the course!"
COD is an amazing example of bad narration, i played the first 2 modern warfare; very nice games , but the missions where jumping all over the place, one time you where playing as an american, the other as a canadian, then as a british.. i didn't care, all i knew was that one guy had that weird beard/mustache and one guy was named "soap"; no idea if i ever played as soap.

what was funny is that one of the sequels (that i didn't play) made sure to tell you on the promotional material that you'll be playing again as this guy that you were supposed to know.. i had no idea who he was XD

GAMETA

Banned
Hmm, I usually understand the story and everything else without problem... I have trouble remembering the names of minor characters, though.

I remember playing Xenoblade Chronicles X and having no idea who was who other than the main trio, lol.

En Sama

I have played and finished a few Halo games and I have no idea what the story is about. I can't follow the Destiny games either.

Metal Gear Solid

Solid Snake
Liquid Snake
Big Boss
Little Boss
Otacon or,
Octagon
Someone got cloned and now they are solid or liquid. Otacon had a sex change and became Quiet.
Big boss got demoted to Little Boss.

Did I get that right?
Yeah fuck Metal Gear Solid. Shit is confusing as fuck. I just play the game to kill bad guys and skip all the cutscenes cause they give me migranes.

Last edited:
S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I do with open-world games. I think it's the fact that you can pick at what you can do. It's easy to get sidetracked and lose focus of the story.

I generally prefer linear story games because they are much easier to follow.

Keihart

Weird, i mean, when i don't get what the fuck is going on it's usually because what going on it's too fucking boring....most of the time tho, it's so shove in my face that i can help but to get it. Maybe most games just don't tell stories in a way you find interesting, i doubt they are too covoluted or complicated, even stoner level stuff like Kingdom Hearts it's easy to follow unless you dive in the lore to find answers to questions that nobody asked.

Bluecondor

This is me and the last AAA game I played - Watch Dogs Legion. I enjoy the gameplay, but after about 15 hours of the story, I just have little interest in making the effort to get caught up in it.

sunnysideup

Banned
Way to often games over narrate, often narrating gameplay mechnics which should not be narrated. It muddles everything and overloads you with useless information.

Storytelling should motivate players and give them clear goals. basically "they raped and pillaged your village, you need to seek vengeance and kill the five bandits.

Not a constant shit chatter telling the player where there they need to go and find these powerconverter generators thingies that is oh so important for the ovearching story.

i dont need a voice over telling me to pull a lever.

remember metroid 2 when you kill the first metroid and there is an small little earthquake. and you find out its completely changes the world. that is good storytelling.

Last edited:
Content overload. I can't tell you about the movie I watched yesterday but can tell you about the movie I watched when I was young.
You sure that’s not just crappy short term memory as an adult staying indoors every day?

Or maybe it’s the quality of the content. Movies and tv shows have regressed back to The Last of Us quality of storytelling we’ve already seen.

Dont get me started one poorly translated and storytelling anime nonsense from games like Nier.

Phobos Base

I always have trouble remembering names and faces in both real life and media, especially in the likes of war films where everyone wears a similar uniform. I played through Yakuza 0 recently and despite making sure to pay attention still had to keep checking the in-game encyclopedia to remember who was who, although it's not that easy when almost everyone could be summed up as a scowling Japanese man in a suit. Great game though.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I know you’re the nice one here, but it’s obviously just a joke.

Edit: It’s tough with text sometimes, but I see kretos kretos clarified.
Sorry I just don't have the skill to know who's kidding in text, this is why I mostly use funny gifts to make it clear when I'm joking.

Edit: despite my tag I'm not all that "nice", I consider myself being pretty normal.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
I have issues with this.

But I think my brain is just too slow to process thigs in real time, thing that honestly, I really hate.

Ulysses 31

Killer 7, you may think you have some idea of what's going but it's more likely you don't. :p

Dark Souls and Bloodborne, no clue what really was going on except for something's turning people into monsters. Not really into reading all item descriptions to understand the basic plot as opposed to enriching the lore.

Mato

I kinda do. I think I just don't care any more. It's all a bunch of lies anyway. I think I've skipped like 95% of the text on Cyberpunk. I've only loosely followed the main thread.

Xeaker

Too many and too long cutscenes and dialogue do this to me. If I play a game I want more gameplay than cutscenes.

turtlepowa

Banned
Depnds on the genre. If i play classic adventures like Day Of the Tentacle or something like Tell Me Why i'm totally fine with no gameplay and much story. But if i play any other genre (3rd person action adventures for example) i'm interested in gameplay only, otherwise i have Netflix or a book. I`m totally fine with "Oh Mario please save me" as story and if it is too much story i just skip it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom