• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else miss the old EA Strike game? ie: Urban, Soviet & Nuclear Strike?

shpankey

not an idiot
Urban Strike (Genesis/SNES)

ustrike.gif

urban01.gif
urban08.gif
urban02.gif

Soviet Strike (Playstation/Saturn)

014633075854F.JPG
014633075854B.JPG

sovietstrike1.jpg
sovietstrike3.jpg
sovietstrike4.jpg

Nuclear Strike (PC)

nuclears.jpg
10924ss.jpg
sh_strik.jpg

shpankey

not an idiot
I actually played Desert and Jungle... just forgot their names lol. I searched google for ea strike games and got the others first. But yeah, you're right... Desert (and Jungle, which came second) are classics.

ram

nuclear strike was also on psone! and yeah, i played it recently and loved it (beside the crappy framerate)

Joe

ea needs to make another one of these games (because the strike games are awesome) but they're sitting pretty on the road rash license. we need a new road rash. NOW!!!!!

shpankey

not an idiot
Joe said:
ea needs to make another one of these games (because the strike games are awesome) but they're sitting pretty on the road rash license. we need a new road rash. NOW!!!!!
oh hell yeah! man, i sank so many months into the amazing 3DO Road Rash... it was insanely good! I'd love to see that too.

wonder why they quit these properties?

Kingpen

Mercenaries should be enough to solve your fix. There is a ton of helicopters in that game. I actually thought I remembered reading that the game was supposed to be made similar to those 'Strike' games.

ram

Joe said:

wasnt there a rumor some month ago about a new road rash game by ea?

Matlock

Banned
Mercenaries was originally produced as a Strike game, then EA didn't want it, so Lucasarts picked it up. :p

You want your next gen sequel? Mercenaries is it.

Red Scarlet

I've only played Soviet and Nuclear. Soviet was hard (I couldn't get past level 3 without some cheap codes). Nuclear was kind of blah..a compilation CD would be really nice.

shpankey

not an idiot
I'm sorry, it may have been true what you say, but it plays nothing like the Strike games. NOTHING AT ALL like them. It is not a sequel. Or at least, the kind of true sequel we would want. (although Mercs is an ok game on its own). So no, it is not 'there you go, there's your sequel'. It's not even remotely close to the gameplay we are talking about.

Matlock

Banned
shpankey said:
I'm sorry, it may have been true what you say, but it plays nothing like the Strike games. NOTHING AT ALL like them. It is not a sequel. Or at least, the kind of true sequel we would want. (although Mercs is an ok game on its own). So no, it is not 'there you go, there's your sequel'. It's not even remotely close to the gameplay we are talking about.

It has flyin' in helicopters and winch missions, which is what Strike is in the first place. :p

Of course, what you're saying is much akin to "I want a next gen sequel to Mario" and discounting 64 and Sunshine.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
road rash easily tops the list of classic franchises that MUST be reborn next-gen. come EA.

Gattsu25

Banned
I sucked at these games, but loved them unconditionally

Desert and Jungle where what I played mostwas great fun

I think I've only rented Urban tho

SantaC

Gold Member
Wakune said:
I sucked at these games, but loved them unconditionally

Desert and Jungle where what I played mostwas great fun

I think I've only rented Urban tho

I agree. I was always so confused over desert strike. I had real problems with completing the missions.

Zeo

Banned
Matlock said:
It has flyin' in helicopters and winch missions, which is what Strike is in the first place. :p

Of course, what you're saying is much akin to "I want a next gen sequel to Mario" and discounting 64 and Sunshine.

Uh, it's absolutely nothing like that.

shpankey

not an idiot
Matlock said:

Well, what you're saying is like saying Splinter Cell is a sequel to Metal Gear Solid cause it has stealth and cool gadgets. Or Halo is a sequel to Goldeneye.

Sorry, it's not a true sequel dude. Just having some similar stuff doesn't make it so. Have you ever even played a Strike game? If you had, you would stop this rediculous idea that Mercenaries is somehow a sequel. The game's play absolutely nothing alike. Just because it has helicopters doesn't make it a Strike game. :lol

Matlock

Banned
re: shpankey

The point still stands, Mercenaries was an original production made as a Strike sequel. :p

It's GTA retrofitted with the trappings of the Strike series, get over it.

Mercenary Strike
The game you know and love called Mercenaries was not always a LucasArts game. It was once something quite different. Three sources have helped piece together this little story for you, and two of them have died to provide this crucial news. First, Mercenaries was at one time an EA game. And second, it was, at one time, going to be the next iteration in the publisher's long-running, but recently absent, Strike series.

Can you see it? Mercenaries as a Strike game? Totally. This short re-telling of the story goes back a few years. About two years ago, EA contracted Pandemic to make a Strike game, and in the process of about 10 months, it went from being a helicopter game to a third-person action game, back to a helicopter game again, and so forth. EA basically couldn't make up its mind, causing some frustration on both sides. When it came time to signing a contract with EA, however, Pandemic decided not to move forward, forseeing trouble, or at the very least, EA's heavy indecision. So, Pandemic gave its assets to EA, and the two parted ways. Pandemic, however, went back to the concepts it felt were strong, wrote new code, fleshed out its own ideas, and created something quite interesting indeed. The team created something it liked, the Mercenaries you see today. Now, for all you EA haters, that's gotta make you happy.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/591/591818p1.html

There was an article in GMR (or EGM) that collaborated this tale.

Matlock said:
Mercenaries was originally produced as a Strike game, then EA didn't want it, so Lucasarts picked it up. :p

You want your next gen sequel? Mercenaries is it.

Believe this news. It was originally internally developed at EA Tiburon as a true sequel to Strike. Development was then moved to EALA, then externally to Pandemic, and then the rights were handed over (for whatever reason), and LucasArts picked it up.

But yeah, if you want a modern-day sequel, Mercenaries is indeed it.

Mashing

Ahhh, badk when EA were awesome. These are some of my favorite games of all time. Me and my friends LOOOOOOOOVED these games (the older versions, never played any of the PSX versions).

VALIS

You'll miss these games... until you play them again, which I did a few months ago. They haven't held up, IMO. Bareboned. Just not that fun in 2005.

edit: I'm talking about the PSX versions. Haven't played the SNES/Gen Strike games in a lonnng time.

What they are saying is that Mercenaries was originally developed as one of the games in this series...Then EA decided that they didn't want it, the developer's scrapped it, but used the technology to make Mercenaries. Shit I forget that developers name...Mercenaries, Full Spectrum Warrior, Battlefront...

What's their name again?

Have have Soviet Strike and Nuclear Strike for the PS1 in the closet somewhere, awesome games. I remember Soviet Strike being hard as hell after like 3 or 4 levels though.

Ristamar

Despite it's origins, I can understand why one might be disappointed with Mercenaries as a Strike series replacement, especially if you crave missions which allow you to constantly blow shit up with helicopters. It's generally not feasible or convenient to use a helicopter in Mercenaries since it has a heavy focus on ground warfare.

Matlock

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
What they are saying is that Mercenaries was originally developed as one of the games in this series...Then EA decided that they didn't want it, the developer's scrapped it, but used the technology to make Mercenaries. Shit I forget that developers name...Mercenaries, Full Spectrum Warrior, Battlefront...

What's their name again?

Pandemic. :)

Ristamar said:
Despite it's origins, I can understand why one might be disappointed with Mercenaries as a Strike series replacement, especially if you crave missions which allow you to constantly blow shit up with helicopters. It's generally not feasible or convenient to use a helicopter in Mercenaries since it has a heavy focus on ground warfare.

Almost completely untrue--getting a decent helicopter is the easiest way to constantly blow shit up, although there's quite a bit of a learning curve involved.

Vandiger

If there is one thing I love about EA is thier past games, pre-32 bit era. My favorite EA game was The Immortal on the Genesis. I wish they had a sequel but they are now just license whores :p

607175.jpg

Ristamar

Matlock said:
Almost completely untrue--getting a decent helicopter is the easiest way to constantly blow shit up, although there's quite a bit of a learning curve involved.

Nah, they're easy to fly. However, if you don't order them from the Mafia, it's a pain to always go out and get one.

However, many of the missions aren't suited in part or in whole to using a helicopter, especially during the latter half of the game where there's numerous AA vehicles flanking many of mission objectives.You either have to go in by air and risk getting blasted out of the sky (two missile will take down any chopper, IIRC) and then go back in with another helicopter to mop up, or take them out on the ground first before going in by air.

On top of that, compare the number of military ground vehicles in the game to the pathetic number of helicopters available.

In short, yes, you can use a helicopter through most of the game. However, you have to make an effort to do so. It wasn't really designed with that approach in mind, IMO.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Future Cop L.A.P.D on the PSX was originally Future Strike, but EA made them turn it into a new IP that bombed.

Also the original Soviet Strike and the GH version are different. People bitched that the original was too hard, so they made the GH version easier.

Matlock

Banned
Ristamar said:
In short, yes, you can use a helicopter through most of the game. However, you have to make an effort to do so. It wasn't really designed with that approach in mind, IMO.

Point taken, but I feel it would be a little too bonkers if you saw whirlybirds laying unmanned all over the place. :)

btw: jacking a helicopter in midflight is the awesomest thing ever

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
VALIS said:
You'll miss these games... until you play them again, which I did a few months ago. They haven't held up, IMO. Bareboned. Just not that fun in 2005.

edit: I'm talking about the PSX versions. Haven't played the SNES/Gen Strike games in a lonnng time.

Yeah, the 32-bit era Strikes haven't aged particularly well, but I still love the rapid-fire too-cool-for-its-own-good writing in the FMV sequences.

"Break it down into components, Hack!"
"Could I prove it in court? No. Do I know it's the link? Yes."

I was actually reminded of Soviet Strike a few times reading Global Frequency.

Top Bottom