• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone have a problem w/ spending money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuvoc

Well I do.

I can't stop. I live paycheck to paycheck and I hate it. Right now all I have to do is make a car payment and I end up blowing the first two paychecks of the month(I get paid weekly) and saving the last two for my car payment. I end up spending a lot of it when Im depressed. But then I become even more depressed when realize I'm broke.

Anyone have any budgeting advice?

xsarien

daedsiluap
1)Collect paycheck

2)Go to your bank's local branch

3)Deposit check in your account

I never, ever understood the concept of actually *cashing* a paycheck, it's like telling a kid in a candy store that everything's free. Store that shit, budget yourself about $60-$80 a week (adjust according to how much you make), and force yourself to live off of that. Excluding bills, obviously.

My parents deposit cash into my account weekly, and SSI delivers a hefty check at the beginning of each month, yet I still spend like mad... oh well.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I bet if your parents stopped depositing money in your account you would suddenly become more thrifty.

Meier

Nope. I spend money here and there but never more than I can afford to. I've been pretty frugal for much of my life and I dont intend to change that any time soon.

I'm pretty good about saving money, but that doesn't mean that I have about one impulse buy a month that a regret a day later.

It only gets harder to resist the temptation with a checking account, but I'm pretty good at it.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I've pretty much always had to be thrifty, because I've pretty much always been poor. Going from being in a poor family to being in college while living on your own will do that to you.

When people tell me I'm cheap, I just tell them, "I'm not cheap! I'm poor!"

Dan said:
Well, what exactly are you splurging on?

Well, for me, I splurge on anything and everything. Whenever I go out with friends to bars or clubs, I always foot the bill; I like to eat out a lot(nearly everyday), movies, games, DVD's, and clothes.

I also spend an obsence amount of money on gas because of trips to San Marcos and Austin to hang out with my friends up at TSU and UT.

marko

If it is spur of the moment ATM withdrawals that are getting you, open up a savings account at the same bank and do not give yourself ATM access to that savings account. Each pay period, put the amount of money you budget for the week in checking, the rest in savings.

When you need to withdraw money, you will have to either withdraw directly from savings at that bank (make a trip to the actual bank), or transfer money from savings to checking to withdraw the money. This will make it harder for you to just go the ATM, and it will hopefully make you think more before withdrawing money. You will also have the benefit of always seeing how much money you have saved up separetly

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
My main problem is i try and save my money then end up chipping away at my cash for stupid shit. Sometimes smokes, booze, fast food and it all adds up then your back to square one. If ya got money to spend I say atleast spend on something you need or is worth the money, some dvd's , games, CLOTHES, electronics, books etc. Then atleast you'll have something to show for it besides empty double cheeseburger wrappers.

HalfPastNoon said:
Well, for me, I splurge on anything and everything. Whenever I go out with friends to bars or clubs, I always foot the bill.....

That's the problem right there if your friends cant afford to go don't take them and maybe you don't need to go (OR you need new friends). They are using you chump.

Have a system, when I go out one of my each one of my buddies pays for a round we do three or four round and we are out. Whoever is next in round turn get's the next round when we go out next time.

A good night out at the bar can run upwards of 100 dollars if you are paying for 4 or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom