• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone here who doesn't follow or have any interest in streamers?

Mortisfacio

I don't really have an interest. Sister works for Twitch so things like Blizzcon, she's gotten my brother and I into Twitch parties where drinks are free, but talking to streamers is so painful we prefer to just go elsewhere and pay for drinks. I've tuned into a few like Shroud, Sodapoppin, etc. but just find myself bored. My stream view hours this year were 100% muted background tabs to get in game cosmetics.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
We have a private discord server that we chat and stream on, it has I think 5 people on it. One of the guys is my best friend he started streaming on Youtube I watch him. Besides that absolutely not.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I never watch streams, except for the rare occasion of special events.

I do watch some videos of streams that were edited or trimmed down, but these aren't for anyone specific.

lol OP, what makes you assume most of the people here care about streamers? I'm pretty sure the vast majority, even among NeoGAF users, doesn't give a rats ass about Twitch et al
As others pointed out already, the main target audience is probably below the age of 25

Sethbacca

The only time I watch streamers is to get a feel for a game I'm on the fence about. I want to play games, not watch people play them.

Danknugz

Never cared and never seen the appeal. I'd rather just play games.
If I'm going to watch something I'd rather watch a movie/tv show/documentary/Stand up show, etc

In theory it's not that different from people watching sports.
The problem is that many of these guys are online for countless hours and there's basically at least someone of some notoriety streaming something at all times. It's as if your favorite sports team had a 10 hours game every day and you wanted to watch it all.
i get the sports analogy but the problem for me with that is with sports, the way i've always kind of understood it is that part of the draw is the elite level of the athletes and the money/betting involved. in that respect watching someone play video games seems more like having someone read you a book vs just reading it yourself. i guess the analogy would be more for people watching "esports" competitions.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
90% of my time on Twitch is spent with MST3K channel running while I do other things.

The only other streams I watch are retro streamers playing old games that have about 20-50 people watching at any given time.

Muffdraul

I don't get the appeal of watching someone else play a game I've never played, outside of watching a few minutes to decide whether you want to try it yourself. But I love playing a game and then taking a break to watch someone else play through the part I just finished. Doing it right now with Alan Wake 2, Gab Smolders. I've never watched a live stream though, only youtube vids after the fact.

Twitch is a weird one.
For many years I disliked the idea of watching someone else play a video game than just playing it myself. I just did not get the concept.

Over the last year or so I have dabbled in watching streams and I get it now. Its just another medium, an interactive one.

Gaming twitch channels are just an evolution of what came before in other mediums. I remember like 20 years ago radio call in shows were in fashion. A presenter talking about a topic and you'd ring in if you want etc. But you'd often just passively listen to the topic being engaged. Very much the same thing.

I believe, and its very easy for me to say as I've never put my face out there on camera, is to connect with people. That's what twitch is about. Not the games. Anyone can buy a game and stream it. It is the personality and connection a person makes with an audience that is the true factor.

Ah maybe I am rambling ha.

Verchod

Well that sounds familiar op. But saying that, I've been a gamer for a long time so don't see the need. I like to read reviews, previews,. I browse a wide variety grading and technology media.
I'm sure there are popular people and channels but that doesn't mean anything. I'm interested in what I'm interested in. That's it.

I don't pay any attention to streamers or people playing games, but I do like video essay/documentaries. I only recognize some because they are so big.

Ryūtō

I rarely watch their live streams and often just end up catching the episodes they upload to YT. The only streamers' content I'm actively into at the moment are WoolieVS and PatStaresAt.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No interest in any gaming internet personality or streamer or podcaster etc...

If I want some gaming news or gameplay clips I just go to YT and type in what I want. And whatever pops up is fine.

I think I only have handful of YT accounts I have bookmarked and I hardly even watch them. They arent even streamers. They just post videos here and there. The Action Lab (science guy), Randy Santel (pro eater) and BBQ Pit Boys (ZZ Top looking hicks making giant BBQ food in sloppy looking conditions).

Last edited:
Top Bottom