• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone here who doesn't follow or have any interest in streamers?

Audiophile

Gold Member
I watch Neebs Gaming & Let's Game It Out on YouTube; more cultivated and edited for the entertainment and fun.

I don't really get the concept of sitting watching someone else on a live stream, just some dude/gal sat there playing a game I could be playing, a lot of 'em are just sorta slack-jawed and barely saying anything; and when they do talk it rarely amounts to much of any interest.

No interest in streamers, except when I'm on the fence about buying a game and want to watch some more footage to help me decide. Otherwise, I don't see the point. It's like, so should I watch someone play a game I like or actually play it myself? Seems like an easy answer to me.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I don't understand it. At all.
If I want to experience a game, the last thing I'd do is to watch someone else play it.

I've watched a few fightincowboy clips but only after I've beaten the game and/or for some reason need a refresher of an area in a souls game. That's pretty much it.
A few people in here have mentioned him. Whenever I'm stuck in a game and need a quick video to see what I missed or to explain some type of a system within a game, that's the guy I always end up clicking on. Maybe it's because I think he plays a lot of RPGs and that's what I mostly play as well.

Dr_Salt

Used to watch them when I had no money to but the games I wanted to play so I just watched people play them. Now I find it the worst waste of time tbh.

I follow some gaming content creators, but don’t really watch any streamers to my knowledge. Occasionally I might check out a streamer to look at a game I don’t own just to see how it looks and plays. Truthfully I rather play the game than watch someone else play a game. Guess I never understood the fascination with people watching other regular, non professional people play games.

Last edited:
John Candy No GIF by Laff

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I dont know if this considered "streamers" but the only one I watched is these guys.....but after I beat the game myself first.

I find these two fun to watch.

Beechos

Zip zero. I already don't have enough time to play video games, watch movies, TV shows. No interest in watching someone playing a game, giving commentary, or doing stupid shit.

If I put a stream on it's not like I'm focusing on it. It's background noise while working (or maybe doing something grindy in a game). I've just about stopped watching Twitch though as it's gotten worse and worse. The ads are untenable. I mostly just load it up once in a while to give wackyjacky101 my monthly prime sub, but he doesn't really stream when I'm awake anymore. And let's face it the OnlyFans turn the site's been taking is just gross.

I'll throw on Dr Disrespect (YouTube) while doing work from time to time if he's playing PUBG. A couple of Rocket League streamers I'll consider watching if they pop up as well. That's kind of educational, picking up tips and tricks through osmosis.

I wouldn't ever consider watching someone just play through a single-player game. Maybe if it's focused on a speedrun or something else that requires high skill. So yeah, mostly multiplayer stuff, and never something I'm focusing all my attention on.

_Justinian_

Gold Member
I used to watch streamers but not so much anymore. I don't want to watch anyone playing a game that I haven't played yet. And I have had quite a few games spoiled from people in the streamer's chat. Also, it all feels so fake to me.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I don’t watch active streams, as I can just play games myself.

I do however, watch consolidated clips channels of some streamers where the fat is trimmed away. Those can be genuinely entertaining.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’ve tried to play some streams at my desk, while working on weekends - but they’re honestly pretty boring.
The only genres that have been a little interesting to watch are horror and survival/adventure titles - and even then the streamer has to be one that engages with the audience.

I’ve also watched a couple streams when deciding on if a game looked like something I would enjoy.

Laieon

I have 0 interest in people streaming games but I think art streams are incredibly relaxing and scratch that Bob Ross itch.

For some reason, digital art doesn't really do it for me though - I need something like this (just to use the first live channel I saw that fits the criteria as an example).

Last edited:

Aion002

Only a little bit of Kizuna Ai.

I tried other streamers but I found them boring and/or annoying, even those hololive characters... Kizuna was funny, speciallywhile playing Resident Evil, unfortunately they retired the character, I guess the voice actress got a better job or something.

Still, from time to time I enjoy rewatching Kizuna swearing while playing Resident Evil.

StereoVsn

I will watch gaming videos on YouTube for how to build a character, find certain treasures, how to beat certain bosses, what’s the proper approach for strategy games as those can get obtuse, and so on.

Watching someone play through a game whether realtime or on YouTube is pointless.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
No interest whatsoever. It's another form of social media and I don't really need to watch someone play a game. A step further, I don't need to hear their disconnected commentary while watching them play a game. YouTube isn't too far off. If a dev, publisher or video trailer shows up; that can be interesting. When GDQ first started, it was sorta interesting, but that quickly wore off by 2014.

NanaMiku

Never enjoyed streamer because of the long duration. But if they made a highlight video like SovietWomble, I like them.

Griffon

I've always enjoyed watching friends play single player games since before internet streaming was a thing (and vice versa when I'm the one playing, passing around the controller). Lots of funny comments and situations, or just plain enjoying the story and spectacle of the game.

Streaming is pretty close to that. Just need to find the kind of streamers that you personally find entertaining and funny.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I love gaming and have been gaming for most of my life, but I feel out of place whenever I talk about gaming news with friends sometimes, because sometimes streamers come up in the conversation and I have no idea who any of them are. I mean, I've heard of some streamers via news articles and stuff, but I don't know anything about them. Streaming is so incredibly popular and I can say that I've never once watched a streamer game live on any platform, nor had the interest to. The closest I've ever come to watching a streamer game is when I get stuck in a game and a quick google doesn't have the answer, I'll go on YouTube and look up a let's play to see how another gamer got past a certain part I was stuck. But I've just never had interest watching others play games. Even games I've never played before, I feel like seeing them play it would spoil the experience for me if I were to ever play it myself.

But like I said this aspect of gaming is so incredibly popular, so I know millions of people out there are into it. I'm curious if anyone here is the same as me, I want to know just how much in the minority I am when it comes to this.
Been gaming since the 2600. I don't even like gamers much less streamers.

Dynasty8

I don't think I've ever watched a streamer play a game live. Just doesn't interest me personally. Rather play something than watch someone play something, but I get it, everyone's different.

tylrdiablos

I sometimes have a random streamer on my second monitor whilst playing something like WoW/Final Fantasy XIV, but I'm barely paying attention to them.
I use to have podcasts on but they're just of adverts these days. <OldManYellsAtCloud.bmp>

spons

Gold Member
Used to, but then I realized they didn't gave a shit about their viewers. It's a one-way street. Content wise most of them are bland.

ZoukGalaxy

You are not alone but not exactly for the same reasons, I watch only no commentary stream of games I already played when I'm bored as a background (Fallout 3, NV, horrors games...) and when I already seen too many times no commentary playthrough from youtube of the game I want to see.

I don't give a single shit about the person streaming the game, 99,9% of time it's full of bullshit, children, "fuck generator" or "jesus/christ generator", fake scream, breathing, eating or worst: some people are just disgusting only by the sound they make.
Won't even talk about all the horrible clumsy stupid layout of the vast majority of them with ugly avatars no one cares taking half the screen with all the stupids sounds and gifs appearing on picture, and those muting the game sound: what's the point stupid streamer then ?

Oh and also, when I follow one of them, that's just a temporary bookmark because I'm switching my watching device (computer => tablet, etc...), I unfollow them later anyway with some rare exceptions (like never talking streamers of games I like).

I say it: I HATE with passion streamers or youtubers-like.
Mad Grumpy Cat GIF by MOODMAN
kill it with fire GIF

I wish the game sound and the mic were 2 different streams that you can mute at your ease, no need to tell which one I will mute. It would be like an anti-bullshit umbrella.
grumpy cat heart GIF

/rant

Last edited:

Rockondevil

Not a single one. Never have, very likely never will.
I don’t get the appeal when I can just play the game myself.

I generally don’t like watching sports either for the same reason. Why watch what I could play?
Sure they have more skill, but so do the streamers I’m not watching.

DryvBy

I have some YT people I like a lot but streamers? No. I assume that's been taken over by boobs anyway.

RavageX

Zero, less than zero. The closest Ill ever get is watching longplays, and those are of games I cant get or couldnt beat.

Me watching some twit ramble on and on while playing a game is a no for me. I hope the popularity of it DIES. DEAD. DECEASED. DOOMED

KXVXII9X

I don't really watch streamers but I really liked watching Let's plays of single player games.

I grew up not having gamer friends who liked the same things I did and I mostly liked to watch reactions of narrative heavy games to see other people's thoughts and insights.

Now most gaming content is multiplayer with Streamers which I don't really care for. I also don't like the faux personality a lot of them put on.

I also find the format of streaming distracting and annoying. I find it really dumb how every minute they look at the chat and have some obnoxious loud music when someone donates.

I prefer to watch people engrossed in the game and reacting to it naturally than trying to be "entertaining." If I do watch a stream, I prefer more mature/older and casual streamers.

DonF

I don't see the appeal at all. I also hate face cams and the lingo.i can't stand hearing " chat ok chat" or Pog...as other user pointed out, I feel like my generation has passed.

I just watch streams when there is new content, like a stream of apex next season or someone trying out a new character in smash.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I hate all streamers, and find the idea of a 'professional streamer' to be one of those diabolical, disgusting things to come out of the degeneracy of the modern internet.

However.

I could watch Sasha Grey and Siri Dahl playing Baldur's Gate 3 all fucking day.

Last edited:
I watch part of a walkthrough from time to time. Not really streamers. The last mission I watched someone do is because I finished the mission when I was drunk and didn’t remember any of it. I didn’t even remember how Spider-Man got a black suit. Haha.

PsyEd

I have limited time and the free time I have is for my gaming than watching someone else play. I never even watched one but know likes of them exists.

Robb

Gold Member
You’re definitely not alone. I can’t name a single one, and have no interest in watching any either.

Ozzie666

Not really, if I am playing a game like Diablo 4 and steamers are offering comsetic goods. I might put it on the background and walk away and close it down once I get by loot.
I have no interest in watching people play games, not even if hot tubs are involved. Even with cosmetic goods, it's usually a friend who tells me about them. I don't go looking for them.

RoboEight

I like watching Arcus when I'm drawing or working on some stuff I enjoy the retro stuff he does but other than that I don't pay attention to many although if I catch Jeff Gerstmann on I'll usually check him out I enjoy his commentary on games. I find most of them really annoying in general and I would say it's more background noise for me if I do watch either of those two.

Shifty1897

I don't get it. I don't want to watch a streamer I don't know play a game when I could just play the game myself.

Unless it's a speed run or super crazy high skill thing.

Not really. There are a couple people that have smaller channels where I can hang out with the community and people can actually read and respond to your messages. The only big channels I ever watched were speedrunners of my favorite classic games. SM64, OoT, GoldenEye, etc. Anything with some crazy glitches that I would never bother with myself, hence why I'd watch a stream of someone doing it.

IAmRei

Me, i never watch them, i only watch some longplay of recorded gameplay for few minutes just for some information, and mostly old games. i never watch streamer, i never listen to podcast. I dont know, never interested in any of them either, or maybe just part of me is stubborn as being stuck in the old ways style gamer, or maybe just part of me who doesnt like the trend goes these recent decades.

Top Bottom