• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone still playing lumines?

I think im gonna buy olimario's PSP and I was wondering about the longevity of Lumines. Is it still playable after a month or two of owning?

olimario

Banned
I still play it. I'm finally in the 300k+ range and I've beaten most of puzzle mode.
I lost interest for a couple weeks, but it felt fresh when I came back to it.

DrLazy

olimario said:
I still play it. I'm finally in the 300k+ range and I've beaten most of puzzle mode.

WTF? You can't give impressions. You're selling him the game? Why would you sell it if you liked it so much?

blackadde

Honestly, no. After unlocking everything there's no real incentive to go back, except maybe for beating your time attack records. Still a great game though, totally worth the asking price and I got probably 60 or so hours out of it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you're probably not going to play it again 6 months down the line the same way you'd play Tetris or even Puyo Puyo.

olimario said:

:lol

Yea you dont count!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Yeah, since I got it just a couple of weeks ago and have only reached like 113k. I love it. :D

galeninjapan said:
I think im gonna buy olimario's PSP ...

Wait wait wait...

Maybe I missed something and this turned out to not be true, but didn't Oli sell nake pictures of his girlfriend to buy a PSP?

As for Lumines, yes, do buy it. Definately one of the best games I've played in a long while. Once you unlock everything there really isn't much reason to go back unless you have a friend to play the very fun vs. mode with, but getting to the point of getting everything unlocked will take you over 20hrs. (And I still have a few skins left to go.)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I still play it. It's very hard to ever get tired of that game. Right now I play vs. cpu mode the most. That mode is very challenging, and you can play it in short bursts.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
i just played it again last night. this game rocks when hooked up to some good speakers

already got to 999,999 points twice. i plan to clear the scoreboard with 999,999 points

i still believe this game should have been released on consoles though. this game makes me tired whenever i do my 999k runs.

Red Mercury said:
Wait wait wait...

Maybe I missed something and this turned out to not be true, but didn't Oli sell nake pictures of his girlfriend to buy a PSP?

of course, everything is true on the internet

Soundwave 2k4 said:
of course, everything is true on the internet
Well in order to find out the truth I'd have to brave the horrors that are OA. I don't really care enough, and hell, whatever Oli does is his own buisness. I just would find it pretty funny that someone would sell naked pictures of their girlfriend as an absolute extreme to obtain something, and then a month or two later.. turn around and sell it off to someone else.

There is a certain humour in that right? Or am I just sick?

jman2050

It's fan-freaking-tastic once you get into it. It's a bit slow starting out, but it's easily one of the most enjoyable puzzle games I've played.

That said, Puyo Puyo is and will probably always be the best line of puzzlers ever. It's a crying shame it was barely released at all in the US before Sonic Team went and did PPF.

*Goes back to playing 8-way multi with the CPU on his brand-new DS. Note that I am not invading this topic with DS speak, but rather with PPF speak*

I only bought Lumines 10 days ago. Have just discovered the Versus CPU mode, which is nice. I can't figure out the Puzzle mode, though. On the regular Challenge mode, I'm having trouble staying awake. Have put it away for a few days and have been having a ball with Hot Shots Golf :)

gstaff

I got rid of Wipeout today realizing that the only thing I really need on my PSP is Lumines. That makes it sound like the PSP isnt worth it, but I would put Lumines right up there with RE4 and GoW as the year's best games.

It's a great game, but I don't play it anymore. Mostly because it's not my PSP and I don't get to take it on the bus.

edit: I played it for 2-3 weeks

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I have been playing it for abotu 10 days straight now. I played it everyday after I got my PSP at launch, but I stopped for a bit after I got Hot Shots Golf. But now I am totally back into Lumines. Defintely worth the price.

I played the crap out of it for a 5 or 6 weeks. Than I picked up Hot Shots Golf and havent played it much since. I threw it back in the system a few days ago and played it again and still love it. It still felt fun and fresh. Only downside is that when you get good at it, games can last a long time.

My friend has had it for the past two months, he's gone back home for the summer (i'm at uni) :(

I really miss it, it's an insanely addictive game that really justifies the PSP as a great handheld. Worth purchsing the system for this game alone.

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
I still play it when I'm on the exercycle, as it's a useful distraction that doesn't require a lot of mental energy. Aside from that, no.

Troidal

blackadde said:
Honestly, no. After unlocking everything there's no real incentive to go back, except maybe for beating your time attack records. Still a great game though, totally worth the asking price and I got probably 60 or so hours out of it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you're probably not going to play it again 6 months down the line the same way you'd play Tetris or even Puyo Puyo.

I agree. After unlocking everything, the motivation isn't there anymore. Maybe I'll fire it up in those random occasions and play whatever skin I like but that is pretty much it.

john tv

Yeah, I love the game, but it sucks that it has a point cap, and it really could've used another 20 or 30 skins. Once you unlock every one, there's no real motivation to keep on playing. (Unlike, say, Tetris, where you can keep trying to top your best scores forever.)

I'm still working on some of the VS CPU skins myself (is there a trick to that or something? I have trouble getting all the way to the end), but other than that, I'm pretty much done.

Still worth experiencing once though, for sure. I say go for it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
in vs. mode, basically you just have to be the first one to clear some blocks. if you don't, you're basically screwed. so pretty much you have to be very fast

i didn't like vs mode that much because of that. kind of makes it unbalanced

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
trilobyte said:
pretty much the only game worth buying on the psp

What makes you say that?

I guess its no different than saying that RE4 is the only game worth buying on Gamecube and Halo is the only game worth buying on XBOX. :\ All foolish statements...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm still working on some of the VS CPU skins myself (is there a trick to that or something? I have trouble getting all the way to the end), but other than that, I'm pretty much done.
It's just very tough and you have to be very fast and on later levels clear some blocks FAST before the first scanline gets past you. If you miss the first pass, you have to set up some good clearance in the second pass, and to work from there like mad to push the separation line. If you don't do that either, you're screwed.

I managed to finish this mode only once on the Japanese version. Now I'm trying again with US version (which has the same difficulty and all, just faster loading) and I can't reapeat that success :\

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
woo, 999k points in 2 hours and 7 minutes. still aiming to get 999k points under 2 hours though.

now excuse me while i stab my eyes

Jagernaut

trilobyte said:
pretty much the only game worth buying on the psp

Bullshit. I've had a PSP since US launch and i have 4 other games i really like. In fact, i just bought Lumines today ($30 at Best Buy for Reward Zone members). I like the game so far, but its definitely not the only PSP game worth buying.

blackadde

Wario64 said:
woo, 999k points in 2 hours and 7 minutes. still aiming to get 999k points under 2 hours though.

now excuse me while i stab my eyes

lum999_1.gif

2:03:27

SCORE

Consider it motivation. :D

Mifune

Mehmber
I must be the only one, but I just can't get into this game. Could never get into Tetris, either.

Bring on Lemmings!

Hellraizah

Get this for 1 player gameplay, import Puyo Pop Fever for 2 player games, and you got the holy duo of puzzle games.

Oh, and, by the way, I don't believe that Oli sold naked pics of his girlfriend and that nothing leaked out.

Belfast

Yeah, I don't know why they put the score cap on. That's a weird decision, IMO. Hopefully, if there is ever a Lumines 2 it will clear up some of these issues, especially with more skins, random skinlists, etc.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Hellraizah said:
Get this for 1 player gameplay, import Puyo Pop Fever for 2 player games, and you got the holy duo of puzzle games.

Oh, and, by the way, I don't believe that Oli sold naked pics of his girlfriend and that nothing leaked out.

you should check the ongoing thread that started yesterday on the 'other side'. them fools were arguing about the legalities of the 'contract' :lol

demi

Hellraizah said:

He did, nothing was ever leaked.

BUT

This is about LUMINES!

I am trying to persuade the guy at work to buy it so I can play it without having to buy a PSP.

demi said:
He did, nothing was ever leaked.

Ok, so I wasn't wrong. How strange. :: Shrugs :: If she knows about the situation, then this has got to be all kinds of weird, although I assume she doesn't. Then this is just all kinds of funny.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
yup, just got my psp a few weeks ago and i'm still completely enthralled with the game. i finally broke 200,000 yesterday :)

Top Bottom