• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else still rocking the PSP in 2024?

Papa_Wisdom

Just dug mine out and put it on charge.

The amount of games that was released on it is quite insane when you look at it.

That along with perfect ps1 support to me makes it (along with the psvita) the ultimate in retro handheld goodness in relation to its size to games ratio

I’m not including the steam deck and switch in this because although they are portable you can’t really just put them in your pocket as there too big.

Although the Ds/3DS were good machines I still think the catalog of games for these machines is superior when you consider the games you are able to play on them ( especially rpgs).

Easy to take with you, slip into your pocket or small pouch in a bag, graphically there still good for what they offer. No gimmicks like the duel screens.

I forgot how excellent these machines are, especially when jail broken.

Anyone else still a fan of these in 2024?

Last edited:

hinch7

Have mine tucked away. I remember it being near perfect as formfactor goes for portable use. It was a beast for emulation and PS1 games.

Only thing that stops me from trying it is the old lithium batteries. Which are now dead and bloated, and a pain to get new ones. Might give it another go at some point if I can get ahold of a good one.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I have a PSPgo, my launch day unit died and baphomet baphomet was kind enough to sell me an extra he had for a good price.

Thanks again dude, it's still going strong and being taken care of.

Last edited:

Papa_Wisdom

Have mine tucked away. I remember it being near perfect as formfactor goes for portable use. It was a beast for emulation and PS1 games.

Only thing that stops me from trying it is the old lithium batteries. Which are now dead and bloated, and a pain to get new ones. Might give it another go at some point if I can get ahold of a good one.
Guess I’m lucky that mine isn’t bloated but just trying to see if it will still hold charge, going to put the star ocean games and Chrono cross and have a retro RPG day

Gamerguy84

My PSP died seemingly out of nowhere. I do have a working VITA and two PSTV though.

Oh and a portal. The portal gets more use than any of them. PS5 quality games at the ready anytime, anywhere.

Papa_Wisdom

I have a PSPgo, my launch day unit died and baphomet baphomet was kind enough to sell me an extra he had for a good price.

Thanks again dude, it's still going strong and being taken care of.
I would really like a PSP go. I have a 2000 model, I wonder how much they go for these days. I guess I’m not in need of one but I’d really like one

I still have my PSP and my DS's out. Haven't played either in a very long time, I was just looking at them this morning wondering where the hell I have the chargers for them. I can't believe I've held on to the God Of War PSP I bought for Chains of Olympus for all these years.

xrnzaaas

Mine unfortunately can't remain turned on even when it's charging... the battery must be dead, because I haven't used it in several years.

Last edited:

hinch7

Guess I’m lucky that mine isn’t bloated but just trying to see if it will still hold charge, going to put the star ocean games and Chrono cross and have a retro RPG day
Yeah its luck of the draw. I have a 2000 slim version and batteries for both 1000 and 2000 and both have gone, unfortunately. Cool to see/hear some PSP's are running perfectly and with origional batteries though. Hopefully it holds charge.

Robb

Gold Member
It’s sleeping in storage next to my DS.

I’m pretty sure I have a UMD copy of Spider-Man 2 (movie) for it as well. I should boot that up and check how the quality is with modern eyes.. That was such a weird format, feels very nostalgic these days.

Great system though.

Last edited:
Yes, I think the PSP is great. I've been trying to pick up more games for it lately before they become even harder to get, but I just never find a decent selection of them. At least not complete though I did score a good 15 or so from Facebook Marketplace last year.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Yes! I like it more than the PSVita. I now own a green metal gear solid version. The 3000.

Games are cheap on ebay so it's easy and fun to collect. One of my favorite new discovery is Dungeon and Dragon. A turn based rpg. Also I would recommend the tomb raiders and the prince of persia. Dantes Inferno is incredible conversion for the format.

Perrott

Gold Member
Well, I'm rocking Adrenaline on the Vita, if that counts.

But yeah, the PSP is like a top 5 console of all time with an amazing and unrepeatable library: Sony first-party, Capcom, Square Enix, Konami, SEGA, the biggest Western publishers... all firing on all cylinders.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I have a PSPgo somewhere, and a silver PSP 2000. But the latter is out of order since the battery swelled. I wish Sony would release a new android phone like that. Minus the swollen battery, of course.

stn

Still got my fat PSP, and the Vita. Both are excellent. I heard that the Vita can emulate the PSP perfectly but I haven't tried it.

Papa_Wisdom

Still got my fat PSP, and the Vita. Both are excellent. I heard that the Vita can emulate the PSP perfectly but I haven't tried it.
Yes it can you basically just put a programme on it (as far as I remember, adrenaline, and it boots up just like a normal PSP) it’s excellent. Once I’ve finished with my PSP I’m going to my vita and updating the games on that. I just can’t remember how to do it really. It’s been a while.

Papa_Wisdom

UkgwkWP.jpg

Friends together awaiting some tlc

Agent X

I still play my US launch PSP, which is now almost 19 years old. It still works very well, aside from the batteries that have deteriorated with age.

I've also got a PS Vita and PSTV, and tend to play some of my (compatible) downloadable PSP games on those systems now. However, I've accumulated over 50 PSP games on UMD, so for those games and a few other digital downloads, I still trot out the PSP.

AndrewRyan

Still own my beloved satin white pspgo but sadly lives in a storage box for now. Beautiful little portable and battery life still respectable. Should probably sell off all my portables but would still keep either the 3DS or pspgo as a true pocket portable.

Audiophile

Gold Member
Had a PSP that got me through many hospital visits and stays in my early teens. Never got round to getting a Vita but I intend to get one at some point still.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Still have it, whether it actually turns on is another thing.

Hoppa

I found mine in storage a few years ago when I was moving house. It had a swollen battery so I tossed it

reinking

Gold Member
I pulled mine out last week and discovered the charger had been chewed on by my daughter's dog. :messenger_sad_relieved: To make matters worse, I can't find my Vita. :messenger_loudly_crying:

Tarnpanzer

Sold it a long time ago, but still have two Vitas. (one modded)

Was there a reason to keep the PSP if u got a Vita?

Kdad

Just bought physical Echochrome for mine.

Anyone recommend a GOOD replacement battery on Amazon...i've bought a couple that had good reviews and still sucked.

Quasicat

I moved my PSP collection to my Steam Deck and I’m going to give my launch PSP and PSPgo, both in beautiful condition, to a former student that is graduating here in a few months. He started collecting video games when he was an 8th grader and these systems are not part of his collection.

I have a PSP Go but mostly just play PSP games on my Vita due to the much better screen. Love the portability of the PSP Go and wish I had a reason to use it.

Agent X

Anyone recommend a GOOD replacement battery on Amazon...i've bought a couple that had good reviews and still sucked.

This is a great question, especially considering a few other people in this thread had similar comments about the battery. I'd like to know the answer, too.

Papa_Wisdom

Sold it a long time ago, but still have two Vitas. (one modded)

Was there a reason to keep the PSP if u got a Vita?
I generally use mine if I’m taking it somewhere where it might potentially get broken or lost (festivals and such) don’t think I could bear to lose my vita.

Jesb

Still got my psp go and vita. Play the vita once in a while. Would like to hack it one day but not really the type to go through the trouble needed to do it.

El Muerto

I still play mine occasionally. I have the Go and 2000, both modded. Prefer the go as it's pocketable. Also have a Vita that is also modded with the PSVSD internal sd card. I dont really play PSP games on it because i dont want it to take up too much storage. So many great titles on the PSP, shame Sony forgot about it.

Audiophile

Gold Member
I'd like to pick up an OG model Vita that's brand new in box at some point, but it looks like they just can't be found now. I have an aversion to buying anything handheld second hand. I don't fancy picking someone else's sweat-dried dead skin out of the crevices of a device.

I've always considered it a courtesy to get in every nook and cranny of any device I sell with pointy things, isopropyl and non-linting kitchen towel, even though my hands are clean and my stuff is already kept in good shape. Unfortunately, with pretty much every second-hand purchase I've made of electronics over the years, receiving something that isn't manky is a rarity.

Also, just unboxing something new is always nice. :lollipop_anxious_sweat: :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Yes. Not a turd technologically, but also not a huge f***er you have to carry on a separately sold barrow around and have a mobile nuclear reactor just to keep this thing on for more than an hour. Ofc library is also a plus. Vita 2 when

Top Bottom