• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone using the LG Ultragear 27?

cormack12

Gold Member

Anyone using this monitor for their consoles? I've watched a few YouTube reviews but they're a bit scatty and don't give a good read on the general issues with OLEDs. They just kind of say 'great'. Any thoughts on the VRR and how good it runs? The 1440p scaling OK etc?

cormack12

Gold Member
There's no reason to buy that if you're only using it for consoles.
I'm probably going to get a PC in the new year again and I've had to move my current consoles. They're hooked up to a 1080 Acer which is decent enough but showing its age. Tbh its more the size that's a pain in the ass. 24 or 27 inch is the area space I have but aside from some older Sammies starting point is now 42" for a decent 4K smart TV

baphomet

I'm probably going to get a PC in the new year again and I've had to move my current consoles. They're hooked up to a 1080 Acer which is decent enough but showing its age. Tbh its more the size that's a pain in the ass. 24 or 27 inch is the area space I have but aside from some older Sammies starting point is now 42" for a decent 4K smart TV

You're still better off going with a 144hz 4k monitor with freesync than a 250hz 1440p oled. Unless you're building a pc with a 4090 in the immediate future you're paying a premium for things you'll literally never use and to play at a lower resolution.

RagnarokIV

27 inch monitor if it was like 300 max sure. 850 for that? Don't waste your time or money. Same cash can get you a C1 from john lewis with burn-in cover include.

I'm sure you'll find/make the space for it when you see the benefit in person.

It’s a really good monitor but it’s not the brightest, the Asus version gets bright and comes with a heat sink, but asus one lacks hdmi 2.1, not that you’ll need it as it’s 1440p monitor. LG one is good too if you don’t mind a lower brightness, it’s not as bad as reviewers make out.

Keep an eye on this, there was stock available before it sold out but they added more stock. Might be a pricing error but no harm in trying.

Luipadre

I have this one but only using it for PC. Loving it tho

Brightness is a non issue really unless you are burning your retina with your current IPS monitor at max brightness or something. I would get this LG instead of the asus one. They have horrible quality control and support and when it comes to OLED, always go with LG, they have the experience

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Was do close to buying the 45 inch ultra wide but then I saw tge brightness complaints...such a shame. I currently have the 32 gq850 and its sweet but ips

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Why would anyone game on a 27” monitor.🤢

32” is absolute min these days. Minimum!!!!

Last edited:

if you have this on a desk and are PC gaming this is more than fine due to how close you sit and the depth of your desk, that’s what I find anyway but it’s perfect for me as I do that and use it for console gaming too. Clarity at that distance is fine as well.

Edit : who gave you that tag 😂

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
if you have this on a desk and are PC gaming this is more than fine due to how close you sit and the depth of your desk, that’s what I find anyway but it’s perfect for me as I do that and use it for console gaming too. Clarity at that distance is fine as well.

Edit : who gave you that tag 😂

I got it during the actual meltdown thread because I made a green rat avatar image. lol

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Anyone using this monitor for their consoles? I've watched a few YouTube reviews but they're a bit scatty and don't give a good read on the general issues with OLEDs. They just kind of say 'great'. Any thoughts on the VRR and how good it runs? The 1440p scaling OK etc?
Had it for quite awhile on my desk before exchanging it for the 45" ultrwide OLED

Though not the brightest with it being OLED its the best looking 1440p display you can get and the motion is fantastic while playing PS5/Series X games.

VRR worked great with the consoles here is the PS5 test

Side note I see Best Buy has open box buys for as low as $750

YAof0A3.jpg

I returned a 32" because for my viewing distance, it was too big. 27" is perfect for my use case. What I don't understand, however, is how anyone at this point in time is able to stomach 1440p resolution. I get that it's hard to drive games at resolutions above, but man the picture looks so blurry. I wouldn't want to look at a screen with ppi that low.

I returned a 32" because for my viewing distance, it was too big. 27" is perfect for my use case. What I don't understand, however, is how anyone at this point in time is able to stomach 1440p resolution. I get that it's hard to drive games at resolutions above, but man the picture looks so blurry. I wouldn't want to look at a screen with ppi that low.
1440p is more then fine at desk distance and below 32”. If you are one of those people that have to have 32” or above then yeah it’s not gonna be great.

A 27” 1440p monitor isn’t blurry at all. 1080 sure but 1440 is fine.

Plus like you said 1440p is way easier to push then 4K.

Top Bottom