• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple’s M2 Pro and M2 Max are FAST! Mac gaming benchmarks

Are you excited for the ARM future?

• Yes!

Votes: 62 49.6%
  • No, I like drawing 1,000w+ while gaming.

Votes: 63 50.4%

• Total voters

Ornoku

As someone that isn't really aware of it, what is bad about Apple's hardware engineering?
Too much to list here. Check out Louis Rossman on youtube from something as simple as a cable being too short that goes from the MB to the screen in a laptop for 3 generations that rips off to mass laptop failure due to "water damage" with laptops that just sat outside in humid weather.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The All New M2 Pro Mac mini Can run PS3, WiiU, PS2, Gamecube and many more emulator at full speed!
In this video we take a look at emulators running on their Apple M2 Pro Mac Mini, and this thing has the power! Very surprised by how well it handles emulation like Gamecube using Dolphin PSP using PPSSPP, Wii U Using CEMU, PS2 using Aethersx2 for Mac and even PS3 with RPCS3!
I do have PC gaming video planned for the M2 Mac mini so keep an eye out for that.

MikeM

Either way, I agree that ARM and Silicone are the future. I wouldn't be surprised if our gaming is mostly relegated on small form factor machines like Mac Mini or NUC or your Phone even in the next decade. Power draw on these things are amazing as well.
PS6?

ARM is the future but Apple isn't, because everything they do is proprietary and locked down. Also Apple doesn't give a shit about gaming and never will.

I own a 13" MacBook Pro M1 BTW, I ran the Shadow of the Tomb Raider benchmark on it and I was like wow that's a nice score for an SoC with a 20W thermal envelope and then I realized nothing else in my Steam library was compatible and I went back to my gaming PC and laptop. This is the average Mac "gamer" experience

Last edited:

thuGG_pl

Apple gaming is pathetic. It is for people who are fanatically obsessed with Apple and overpay for hardware that isn't fully open or capable. Apple doesn't care that you have an overpriced computer that has no games, they just want you to overpay for the ability to display their glowing logo on the back of their laptops.

It's not about Apple and their gaming ecosystem. Or it's prices. It's about Apple showing that ARM architecture can be viable, very fast and very efficient. And industry should take notice.

Tams

Thank God Steam is a private company. One of the most open platforms being swallowed by the least. No thanks.
And really, Proton, what makes Steam OS viable, has very little to actually do with Valve anyway.

Proton is just zhuzhed up Wine and Wine is mostly developed by a open source advocacy group. Wine also already runs on macOS.

phant0m

ARM is the future but Apple isn't, because everything they do is proprietary and locked down. Also Apple doesn't give a shit about gaming and never will.

I own a 13" MacBook Pro M1 BTW, I ran the Shadow of the Tomb Raider benchmark on it and I was like wow that's a nice score for an SoC with a 20W thermal envelope and then I realized nothing else in my Steam library was compatible and I went back to my gaming PC and laptop. This is the average Mac "gamer" experience
The best Mac gaming experience is streaming your game from somewhere else. I love their laptops and will probably never buy a PC/Windows laptop again. I either stream via Steam from my desktop or GeForce Now.

Last edited:

FStubbs

You’re an idiot, gaming isn’t the idea of Apple and not why people purchase them. Look at video processing times, and export they blow everything out of the water. Even gaming through virtual machine now they’re managing just fine for those weirdos who play games on laptops.

The M2 Pro chips are actually fucking insane, you have single core speeds the same as a i9 12900, multicore speeds the same as a 3960x threadripper. All while being a cm thin with display and lasting 20 hours on a charge and this is only their second gen. They have the best chip engineers in the business at the point right now.

If I could get one of these and they put boot camp on it I would be all over it, my Carbon X1 even being the best of PC laptops in its class is absolute crud bucket in comparison and sick of the absolute turd battery life of real world use being 6-8 hours.

If people can’t see ARM is the future I feel sorry for them.
ARM meaning Apple. Apple at this point is, what, 3 years ahead of anyone else in ARM?

LordOfChaos

I just want Tim Apple to spend a tiny percent of that dragons hoard of cash they're putting into buybacks on funding developers to make native Apple Silicon Metal 3 first class ports.

There's a few now, but there's still only slow movement via natural osmosis

Corndog

Banned

ARM is obviously proprietary too. The only difference is they license it out.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It really isn't though. If you're into apple products that's awesome. But there's a lot of problems with their hardware that you may be uninformed about. Seriously just check out Louis Rossman's youtube.
I watch Louis Rossman from time to time. His repair videos are pretty good. But him trying to fix broken MacBooks isn't indicative of Apple's engineering being bad any more than that cod3r guy always working on broken PS5's being an indicator of Sony's engineering being bad. His devolution into tax dodger conspiracy theorist has turned him into a complete weirdo.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
And really, Proton, what makes Steam OS viable, has very little to actually do with Valve anyway.

Proton is just zhuzhed up Wine and Wine is mostly developed by a open source advocacy group. Wine also already runs on macOS.
That's not what I was talking about. I was talking about the walls growing around all of apples products. I am philosophically opposed to apple as a company.

Valve started the linux push after it appeared microsoft was trying to lock competitors out of windows during the vista era. Even if MS tried to so that today, you can always just throw a linux distro on your machine.

Apple already locks you out of your own hardware via physical drm and a super locked down OS in iOS. Who is to say they can't lock down the mac? They control every component in your computer. It would be pretty easy, the hardest part would be locking zsh/bash down. They're probably going to prevent you from using different shells soon for "security".

How well do games run through wine on the ARM chips? I assume they have it working by now right?

Last edited:

SNG32

This means nothing because Apple doesn’t care about pc gaming. The iPhone and iPad are better for gaming than a macbook. I don’t see this changing in the future either for better compatibility.

Last edited:
ARM meaning Apple. Apple at this point is, what, 3 years ahead of anyone else in ARM?
Not anymore lately. Qualcomm seems to have decided they want to start trying recently.

Qualcomm already ahead of Apple in mobile GPU performance and catching up fast in CPU performance even though ARM reference cores are kinda shit compared to the custom cores in Apple Silicon. A desktop focused version of the architecture in the SD8G2 with more prime cores and a larger GPU cluster would be one hell of a desktop SoC.

Last edited:

Fahdis

The best Mac gaming experience is streaming your game from somewhere else. I love their laptops and will probably never buy a PC/Windows laptop again. I either stream via Steam from my desktop or GeForce Now.

Basically a gimped Steam Library and an Amazing Cloud Service with a gimped Library. Why would you need Apple if its just a screen you need?

SomeGit

Proton has very much to do with Valve, they’ve been one of the main contributors to it and upstream Wine along with CodeWeavers and have been financing the DXVK developer along with contributions from their own staff for years.

Wine runs on MacOS, but without Vulkan and with MoltenVK far behind compatibility is massively behind what you can get on Linux.

Last edited:

MH3M3D

Gaming sucks on a Mac. Not because of hardware these days, but because of developer support. Gamers don't buy Macs, so developers don't bother. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

FStubbs

Proton has very much to do with Valve, they’ve been one of the main contributors to it and upstream Wine along with CodeWeavers and have been financing the DXVK developer along with contributions from their own staff for years.

Wine runs on MacOS, but without Vulkan and with MoltenVK far behind compatibility is massively behind what you can get on Linux.
How well does Proton run on these M1/M2 Macs?

Tams

I can't find any mention of Valve being fundamental contributors to Wine.

Tams

Valve has updating Wine upstream and funding CodeWeavers since 2016, that's easily found.

Codeweavers even have a couple of blog posts breaking down how much o Proton goes upstream:
a-year-since-protons-launch
How Proton helped improve Wine 4.2
As far as I can tell, Valve are not the main source of contributions to Wine. Most of it is packaging Wine with other software in a user-friendly package. The only really major contribution they seem to have made is funding and helping the sole developer of DXVK.

The changes being submitted for consideration for use upstream are a licence requirement. Not that Valve don't want to help, but they don't have a choice if they want to use Wine.

I'm not saying Valve have done nothing, but I do think their contribution is grossly overblown. They also aren't the only game in town with Proton, with Lutris being the most notable other 'package' for running Windows programs.

SomeGit

As far as I can tell, Valve are not the main source of contributions to Wine. Most of it is packaging Wine with other software in a user-friendly package. The only really major contribution they seem to have made is funding and helping the sole developer of DXVK.

The changes being submitted for consideration for use upstream are a licence requirement. Not that Valve don't want to help, but they don't have a choice if they want to use Wine.

I'm not saying Valve have done nothing, but I do think their contribution is grossly overblown. They also aren't the only game in town with Proton, with Lutris being the most notable other 'package' for running Windows programs.
Submitting changes upstream is not a license requirement, nothing in th GNU lesser license says that. Not sure where you are getting that from, I'm going to need a quote on the LGPL license agreement that enforces that. But you are completely wrong on that, Valve has 0 obligation to do that, the only obligation they have is to keep Proton in the LGPL license.

I never said they are the main source, I said they are ONE of the main contributors both financially and submissions, the main source is CodeWeavers which have been contracted by Valve since 2016 and also works on Proton, while also hosting and maintaining the Wine project and their commercial version of it, CrossOver. You can easily see that in the blog posts above.

Lutris isn't the same as Proton, Lutris is just a wizard, it then needs a runner and that runner is either Wine or, yes, Proton. I think you fundamentally don't know what Proton/Wine is or even does.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Not anymore lately. Qualcomm seems to have decided they want to start trying recently.

Qualcomm already ahead of Apple in mobile GPU performance and catching up fast in CPU performance even though ARM reference cores are kinda shit compared to the custom cores in Apple Silicon. A desktop focused version of the architecture in the SD8G2 with more prime cores and a larger GPU cluster would be one hell of a desktop SoC.

Apple screwed up majorly with the A16 GPU and had to just run it back with the A15 version basically. Rare mistake from their engineers.

https://www.xda-developers.com/apple-canceled-next-gen-gpu-a16-bionic/

Really the entire lineup of iphones this year was pretty lame. I hope they come out swinging this year.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Apple screwed up majorly with the A16 GPU and had to just run it back with the A15 version basically. Rare mistake from their engineers.

https://www.xda-developers.com/apple-canceled-next-gen-gpu-a16-bionic/

Really the entire lineup of iphones this year was pretty lame. I hope they come out swinging this year.

This should be a much more interesting year. That HW accelerated RT next gen GPU architecture, PLUS getting a fab shrink to 3nm and being the leading partner for that all at once, where the prior plan would have launched the new GPU on 5nm and then shrank to 3nm. So the iPhone 15 Pro should get a far bigger gain with both advances crossed over in one generation, but that's easy to say when the 14 Pro gained very little except "50% more bandwidth to the GPU" which didn't show up much. More exciting when that shows up on the mac with M3.

Alas the regular 15 models will just get the 14 Pro chip I'm sure, also USB 2.0 transfer speeds

Last edited:
The only thing preventing my from getting a new Mac is the software I use for work is proprietary and only available on Windows. Otherwise I'd pull the trigger on a new MacBook and be done with it since I don't care about PC gaming the slightest.

Max_Po

Banned
does anyone recommend Mac Mini with M2 Pro for getting started in MacOS. I think 8 gig is a bit low as is 256g SSD ?

I am starting to hate Win11 with hickups and problems.

does anyone recommend Mac Mini with M2 Pro for getting started in MacOS. I think 8 gig is a bit low as is 256g SSD ?

I have the base model Mac Mini M1 and even with the 8gb ram and 256gb SSD I haven't really had any issues. If I have any super large files I just use my external hard drive. Haven't seen a "ram" limitation at all for my uses. Web browser, music, some downloading/server, etc.

I swear this whole forum is filled with people wanting GAFAM to buy everything, thanks god that while Gaben is alive, Steam will stay out of the stock market and only owned by him so that none of these big corporation can buy it yet.
Get over it, buyouts are natural part of business and if you don't like capitalism you can go back to Russia.

Del_X

Performance is great. If Apple wanted to, they could take what they have in the Mac Mini, beef it up a smidge, and just make that a full fledged console. They'd need to put a team together that could help studios support ports and probably also buy a couple studios. AAA gaming hardware is already solved for them, mostly.

Max_Po

Banned
I have the base model Mac Mini M1 and even with the 8gb ram and 256gb SSD I haven't really had any issues. If I have any super large files I just use my external hard drive. Haven't seen a "ram" limitation at all for my uses. Web browser, music, some downloading/server, etc.

do these M series core perform similar to Intel Laptop cpu cores? obviously if I do decide to get into MAC I want to start small and maybe if I like it I will go for Mac Studio when it is upgraded with M2 series.

Drell

Get over it, buyouts are natural part of business and if you don't like capitalism you can go back to Russia.
LOL, that "american" way of life. Be like us or go back to Russia. I'm not against acquisitions, but when it's only GAFAM, fuck them. And as for Steam, as I've already said it's here to stay, at least as long as Gaben owns it.

LOL, that "american" way of life. Be like us or go back to Russia. I'm not against acquisitions, but when it's only GAFAM, fuck them. And as for Steam, as I've already said it's here to stay, at least as long as Gaben owns it.
Time to move back to Russia, I will make sure to send Vladimir Putin your information. As for Steam, it will be purchased down the road one way or another.

I have an M1 MacBook Pro in addition to my Windows PC's which are on 11 and both Windows and MacOS have things which annoy me. I'm been on both sides of the fence and the grass isn't greener on either side.

Top Bottom