• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple has entered the Chat

Xenon

they'll buy studios and make their own. They don't have a history of monopolization like MS does so they're surely to build and not buy. Ala Sony & Nintendo

I mean, look at how well they handled PC gaming. I can't see why anybody would have nothing but optimism with them entering into the console market. It's not like they did something crazy like walled off something like text messaging features exclusive to their platform.

SteadyEvo

Apple has a history of overpricing. I don’t want their influence to reach here.
True but my limited iPhone and Mac experience( 2 phones and a laptop) shows their products are well built and last a long time. I’ve heard others say the same. If the deliver quality games I wouldn’t mind paying a premium of there’s enough content to warrant the price.

Banjo64

cumsessed
What is funny and ironic is those wanting apple to replace Microsoft because of gamepass. When apple has the largest gaming subscription service by a mile.
I don’t think there’s many people saying that, but that’s just me.

Also, you can make a distinction between subscription services. Apple Arcade launched in 2019 and hasn’t seen a price increase as far as I know, staying at $4.99 a month and being used to exhibit good, smaller games, without acquiring developers or publishers.

Xbox are trying to increase the ‘value’ of their subscription by spending billions of dollars on publishers in order to justify high costs for the consumer, with the added incentive of removing revenue from PlayStation.

One could be harmful for the industry, the other not so much.

Last edited:

RickMasters

I recently ordered a Mac Pro to replace my old one in the pro tools lab. I also love my three iPhones.

With that out the way….. no way in hell will I ever buy a console made by apple. Besides….. they would rather sell you games on their hardware, that they have. If anything they would be trying to sway away PC gamers but I don’t see many switching to max for games.

I love them for music production and genaral creative work….. will never let them hold my games library though.

And let’s not forget… apple love force obsolescence…. Mid cycle refresh?….. apple will sell you a console every year and by year three tell you that the first year models no longer work with their lates OS update.

You do NOT want this for your gaming. Saying that as an apple customer. 😅😅

decisions

Look at how Apple has approached ATV+: quality over quantity compared to every other service.

They also make the best user interfaces and inter-device communication on the planet.

Personally I would love to see MS’s monopolistic, anti-premium strategies fail and have Apple vs. Sony vs. Nintendo duke it out in the future over who has the best games.

Last edited:

RickMasters

mOVzgKKkJWGpeYF5N1BuosGf5Uk=.gif

Apple iGame launching for 1750$ with 300$ controllers
And in true apple simplicity….. the controller will only have two buttons and wii like Wands….. but they will be more curvy because… and way more silvery looking…. Because….. apple.

killatopak

True but my limited iPhone and Mac experience( 2 phones and a laptop) shows their products are well built and last a long time. I’ve heard others say the same. If the deliver quality games I wouldn’t mind paying a premium of there’s enough content to warrant the price.
I wrote that post on my iPad Pro.

I guess what I’m implying is sure their content might be good but their influence in pricing will affect the others in such way that they will match price with Apple. Whoever pulled that trigger on $70 price on games had confidence in their content which made people buy it but the rest didn’t and followed anyway because there was a precedence. I’m afraid Apple will be that precedence and in greater proportions.

RickMasters

I wrote that post on my iPad Pro.

I guess what I’m implying is sure their content might be good but their influence in pricing will affect the others in such way that they will match price with Apple. Whoever pulled that trigger on $70 price on games had confidence in their content which made people buy it but the rest didn’t and followed anyway because there was a precedence. I’m afraid Apple will be that precedence and in greater proportions.
That ‘apple tax’ is real! Typing this on one of my iPhones.

I’ve read this thread and a few thoughts i want to mention.

So…here is a few things to remember about Apple.

1.) Apple physical products receive awards for build quality. It has been this way for years. (IMO, the computers are not as well built as they used to be, but still nicer than most other products on the market and as a whole ALL BRANDS.

2.) Apple always win the Award for customer service. As awarded by different outlets like Consumer Reports.

3.) Apple‘s iOS App Store revenue‘s biggest driver as a category is “Gaming”. Which is larger annually than either, Nintendo, Xbox or PlayStation.

4.) Apple does a good job of making sure games move across all their various platforms. Apple TV, Mac, iPad, and iPhone.

5.) Apple has more money than god, if they want it. Could they buy Nintendo, PlayStation, or Valve without issue? Yes, no problem. BUT…it doesn’t mean they will!

Despite all these things though. Gaming is not in Apple’s DNA. Remember, Steve Jobs famously did not like gaming as a sector. And hesitated long enough for Microsoft to purchase Bungie and Marathon (aka what would become Halo)!

Is it likely at some point Apple will have to buy more gaming companies. Do I think it is Nintendo or PlayStation? I don’t think so. Though, if Nintendo is ever sold, I think it possible that Apple would be the likely buyer and not Microsoft.

I DO THINK APPLE is coming for gaming, but not in the console space per se. I think they are convinced of their model that gaming that can move across all their devices is their way forward. They may be right, time will tell.

This is a long way of saying that I don’t think that people should get upset and think that MS and Apple are destroying gaming. I actually think MS, Apple and Nintendo will be the companies to save it when The market crashes. Which Is coming.

Now if the thread wants to talk about Apple acquiring Disney…well that is a different conversation.

Boss Man

Are you sure that Apple would be comfortable selling overpriced proprietary hardware on the back of its software?

It seems like gamers trend towards disliking apple. Not all dislike them, but significantly more dislike them than like them.

I for one hope they go bankrupt and are wiped from the pages of history.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
This industry challenge has been consistently that it starts with content. Noone has ever succeeded on the back of hw and services to date, and Apple, for everything they do well, has shown to be every bit as clueless with creative side of content as the other big tech who came and failed before them.

Maybe they can be the exception to the rule and breakout without ever getting it, but there's nothing to celebrate in that future if it did happen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom