• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's organic push towards AAA gaming jeopardizes PC gaming and benefits from this "need" where Xbox tried to reject. Exclusive Games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
🤷‍♂️.
I think I see what you are saying.

but it will not be because of the "power" but to develop for a specific hardware just like consoles.

this is something that i have proposed: maybe the console industry can't sustain an Xbox. and the only reason Xbox is still a think is because MS'a deep pockets.

In other words, if apple gains market share in gaming, is inevitable going to hurt another competitor, and the weakest one is MS.

but there is not such think as developers just WANTING to make games for Apple. Apple has be actively pursuing this endeavor.

Topher

Gold Member
So… Eastern Europe?

I think Apple gaming will be fine lol

Who cares about a market full of piracy.
Anthony Anderson Abc GIF by HULU

Astray

Gold Member
People are missing the forest for the trees imo.

The name of the game now is ecosystem spread.. Nintendo tried to spread to mobile devices, Sony and Microsoft are experimenting with PC/Cloud/Mobile. Valve is preparing with Steam Deck etc.. They are all preparing with various degrees for an ecosystem future when it comes to gaming, which might not be coming any time soon, but they would be remiss to completely ignore.

Meanwhile, arguably the largest, most cohesive and profitable ecosystem holder with the best manufacturing and supply chain execution in the market, with strong design/software chops AND a slowly-proven taste for excellence in media production as well is just gonna sit there and twiddle its thumbs?

No. They are going to enter this space sooner or later, and when they do, it's gonna be through leveraging its already existing ecosystem and customer base. They're not gonna suddenly try to sell brand new dedicated consoles to like 300m people that already have presences on competing ecosystems. The far simpler and profitable strategy is to try and sell your existing base on the idea of hardcore gaming on their iPads iPhones MacBooks Mac Minis AppleTVs etc, it's a market of users that has already been built and incorporated into their walled garden, all that remains is to organize the marketplace for devs and publishers to join in, especially if porting is simple.

You might say that this creates fragmentation of experience due to hardware differences, but that didn't stop PCs from becoming a huge consumer hotbed, just like you have a min spec for PC games, you will likely have games that are "only recommended" for iPad air 5 and above etc etc.

A lot of the basic assumptions we have about a brand new gaming entrant are simply not applicable here. Hell, Apple already has a presence in gaming, so it's not technically new either!

Drizzlehell

Banned
iOS is more dev friendly than Android and its morass of kernel/screen size variations. Bit of a non-example there.
The process and costs of putting up an app in the iOS store, not to mention updating it, is such a pain in the ass that pretty much only triple-A publishers can afford it. It's up to debate whether it's worth the hassle too.

It's the furthest thing away from being dev friendly.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I don't get the hand-wringing over Apple. They're never going to make a push to be the top player in gaming or try to push out purpose-built gaming PC's. At best they're going to stick to the "and our devices are also good at games" positioning their showcases have highlighted.
There isn't any hand-wringing - more power to apple bringing gaming to their devices.
The push back is against the weirdo fanboy takes where Apple are gonna make a significant financial move into AAA gaming and are going to make significant inroads into that market. Which doesn't make sense - they would have to either out compete Steam, close it out on their devices, or finagle a way to get a cut of steams revenue. Without these - where does the revenue for Apple come from that justifies billions of dollars invested?

ReBurn

Gold Member
There isn't any hand-wringing - more power to apple bringing gaming to their devices.
The push back is against the weirdo fanboy takes where Apple are gonna make a significant financial move into AAA gaming and are going to make significant inroads into that market. Which doesn't make sense - they would have to either out compete Steam, close it out on their devices, or finagle a way to get a cut of steams revenue. Without these - where does the revenue for Apple come from that justifies billions of dollars invested?
That's the hand wringing

RickMasters

Honest questing but how long does apple support your Mac Pro? Even if a new mac comes out next year how long till your mac is no longer supported?
I don't have a mac but I do have an iphone and an Ipad and they are supported for many years. Longer than anything android supports.

I don't think constant yearly hardware refreshes would pose and issue in the apple 'ecosystem'. Assuming apple dosn't abandon older macs.

The problem comes when they make OS changes and sometimes remove ports that pros relied on (ask anybody who spent 2500 on a brand new UAD firewire audio interface what good it is to them now since apple removed all support for firewire.

or the time they ditched power PC support.... rendering all them G5 mac pros useless in studios (should have seen the uproar on the pro tools forums at the time...) because they wanted us all to go out and spend yet another 12K on an intel based mac...and then they did it again with the new ones ...the trash can mac was the single biggest waste of studio gear money I ever spent. The new one is better thought out and hopefully we see better backwards and forwards compatability ...but thats roughly 25K spent on two macs in a slace of ten years......Ive spent half that on my three PCs. how does apple pricing work out for console gamers? and trust they will pop out a console every two years..never mind a mid-gen refresh...apple will kill your old console off for you!

or when mavericks came out and rendered a a tonne of musical USB instruments, and audio production plug ins unusable unusable on a mac, and their response was basically " tough...get a new mac"

Iphones and ipads are a different story...these are not pro-sumer devices used by creative proffesionals that you attatch your your $5000 USD thunderbolt interface to. for that kind of money..on top of spending five figures on a computer..its an investment. and too many times in the past have apple screwed over creative proffesionals with updates inteded to kill off support for certain products or software.......

I have a tonne of apple products. but my experience as a creative proffesional using their products from generation to generation is different to my experience as a consumer using their phones and tablets. Ive never owned an android. love iphones and ipads. but their support for older hardware at a certain level is shoddy. i just wonder how they would treat serious gamers.......

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
That's the hand wringing
Hand wringing is when you are concerned about something. No one is worried about Apple pulling off some coup in AAA gaming because there is no viable reason for them to try.
These are crazy fanboy takes - hence why we have had two separate threads responding to an article that believes that Master Chief was the fundamental turning point of PC gaming, something wrong on so many levels that it is outright laughable.

Iphones and ipads are a different story...these are not pro-sumer devices used by creative proffesionals that you attatch your your $5000 USD thunderbolt interface to. for that kind of money..on top of spending five figures on a computer..its an investment. and too many times in the past have apple screwed over creative proffesionals with updates inteded to kill off support for certain products or software.......
Sounds like Apple is going to have to have an entirely seperate product line dedicated to gaming then, Mac seems like it's out of the question for someone like me.
But if they release a dedicated device then maybe, Remove the apple tv and replace it with an apple boxstation.

StereoVsn

That's quite a prediction. I don't agree with it, but......we will see.
Yeah, I think the prediction is iffy myself. Hell, the $700-800 devices can’t play the latest games since you need 15 Pro or M2 iPads.

I have a 15 Pro Max and RE4 is kind of meh with very mediocre textures/res and so so performance. I got it just because but I can’t see most people playing these sorts of games in their phones.

That thing eats through the battery like crazy and most folks need their phones for other purposes. Not to mention mobile users have been conditioned not to pay for games now days.

So you have a very small intersection of people with highest end Apple devices who also want to use their devices to game and don’t mind battery drain/heat and small screen. Oh and they are willing to pay proper $/€/¥/£ for AAA games.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah, I think the prediction is iffy myself. Hell, the $700-800 devices can’t play the latest games since you need 15 Pro or M2 iPads.

I have a 15 Pro Max and RE4 is kind of meh with very mediocre textures/res and so so performance. I got it just because but I can’t see most people playing these sorts of games in their phones.

That thing eats through the battery like crazy and most folks need their phones for other purposes. Not to mention mobile users have been conditioned not to pay for games now days.

So you have a very small intersection of people with highest end Apple devices who also want to use their devices to game and don’t mind battery drain/heat and small screen. Oh and they are willing to pay proper $/€/¥/£ for AAA games.

Yeah, we are really talking about very distinct and different markets here in general. Pretty sure they are going to stay distinct and different, frankly.

Roxkis_ii

mod edit: this really didn't need splitting out from the original topic it was posted in:

Good. Sony and Nintendo need some actual competition in the market. Someone capable of creating their own content (or having it made for them with proper QA.) Not some assholes buying shit to feel better about themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom