• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple may not include EarPods headphones in iPhone 12 box to boost AirPods sales

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

According to the latest report from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, Apple may not include the wired EarPods headphones in the box of the iPhone 12. This would naturally drive sales of Apple’s second-generation AirPods, as customers would no longer be getting free headphones with their new phones.

Kuo suggests that Apple may heavily promote or discount the AirPods this holiday season, with no new models of AirPods or AirPods Pro expected until 2021.

When the iPhone 7 removed a headphone jack, the inconvenience was mitigated by the inclusion of EarPods in the box — most people just use the earbuds the phone comes with. If Apple no longer offers it, that means customers needing new earbuds will be forced to buy either MFi Lightning proprietary wired headphones like EarPods, or spend more on Bluetooth wireless options such as AirPods.

Although the epidemic led to a sales decline in the second of this year, he is expecting a rebound by the holiday shopping season including strong year-over-year sales growth of AirPods Pro. Kuo is further increasing his AirPods sales estimates for this year from 80 to 93 million units.

Last month, Kuo set rumor mill expectations by indicating that there would be no hardware revisions to AirPods or AirPods Pro this year.

With second-gen AirPods being about eighteen months old by the time the iPhone 12 launches, it is possible Apple drops the price further to incentivize add-on sales. However, supply analyst Kuo naturally has no firm details about the company’s marketing plans.

Through Apple retail, customers can buy a pair of EarPods for $29 and the base model AirPods start at $159.

Apple, king of value!

God Enel

I love my AirPods Pro and all the apple stuff I have but they’re sons of bitches with their fucked up practices and they get away with it.
I hate myself for buying their stuff, though my experience with Apple products is always top notch. So yeah I’m still gonna but Apple products despite them being greedy cunts.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Guess now you'll have to go and buy a $10 pair which are already better than Apple's garbage.

Grinchy

Banned
I guess you pay for...hmmm what is it exactly? Apple devices are just easy to use or something?

Do people think you have to go to school to learn how to use Android or something? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I just don't understand how they've so successfully convinced so many people to overpay for every one of their products.

Melon Husk

2030: No charger in the box to boost AirPad wireless charger sales. Now you can buy a charger for every room!
Nintendo kind of did that already.

*laughs in earbuds*

I guess you pay for...hmmm what is it exactly? Apple devices are just easy to use or something?

Do people think you have to go to school to learn how to use Android or something? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I just don't understand how they've so successfully convinced so many people to overpay for every one of their products.
Don’t know about other people but I’ve been burned by Android phones several times already. I won’t go back to Android phones until issues like heating and adware are definitively solved.

That said, Apple phones are overpriced as fuck. One could save hundreds of dollars simply by picking an iPhone 8 or the latest one that resembles it.

mcjmetroid

*laughs in earbuds*

Don’t know about other people but I’ve been burned by Android phones several times already. I won’t go back to Android phones until issues like heating and adware are definitively solved.

That said, Apple phones are overpriced as fuck. One could save hundreds of dollars simply by picking an iPhone 8 or the latest one that resembles it.
When people say that I assume they're getting a cheap made phone. Did you buy a good brand and then it happened?

What happens with a lot of people (not saying you) is they buy a piece of shit Android phone then spend 600 on an iPhone and suddenly its SO much better than Android. Well ya.

When people say that I assume they're getting a cheap made phone. Did you buy a good brand and then it happened?

What happens with a lot of people (not saying you) is they buy a piece of shit Android phone then spend 600 on an iPhone and suddenly its SO much better than Android. Well ya.
I owned a couple of Xperia and fiddled with my brother’s Nexus 5 (back in its hey day) as well as my mother’s Samsung A5. All these phones had/have their issues.

Last year I spent around $350 on an iPhone 8. It’s still a bit early to form a final opinion but so far so good. No heating or lagging.

Thaedolus

Well that’s some bullshit. The AirPod pros are pretty great though. I like options but tbh once I went wireless because of having a kid with grabby hands, I never want to go wired again.

Amory

can't wait till they remove the charging ports so we all have to buy a bunch of wireless charging pads to put all over the house

I'm an android user, so theoretically apple's BS shouldn't affect me. but it does, because the android flagships tend to follow their lead

jadedm17

Terrible, Apple is so fucking cheap. The fast charging situation is even worse imo.

Theyll stop when people stop paying.

If you could sell Lemonade outside your house for $10 a glass would you say "No, $3 is plenty profit"?

I hate a lot of what they do but in the end its the consumers fault.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
That does sound like something they would do. I don't really care though. I've never used headphones or earpods with any of my iPhones.

lock2k

Banned
Will send this to my brother, he will tell me it's a feature. He would ingest Apple branded poop if possible. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Apple buds are trash anyways.

Kenpachii

I have those things around my ears, because shit like this keeps falling out when sweat is involved. 99 bucks also for those things, good luck.

HoodWinked

Gold Member
i never use the packaged headphones so they just end up being waste, the pragmatism side of me is fine with them not being included to reduce overall global waste. that $5 they save per phone can go to sourcing parts from not-China.

Mistake

I’ll just start buying used or refurbished phones instead. Apple kind of has a lot of customers by the balls with many apps, and I’m sure they know it. My 6S is still going alright

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Ugh, I hate apple headphones, so I don't use these but it is still shitty af, If having iPhones didn't make my job easier, I would have never switched back.

I use Sennheiser BT earbuds, but mainly for convenience working out

Why should it even be a standard to include some shitty headphones with your pocket computer? I truly feel pity for the poor souls who buy a thousand dollar iPhone and then spend their days listening with these cheap ”earbuds” or whatever.

This is a great move by Apple and it’s a win-win for everyone.

Apple aren't ripping people off, they're thinking of the environment by not including earphones. I would pay an extra $50 for that!

This is your brain on corporate brainwashing

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Gold Member
Apple has been ripping off their customers for years. This is just business as usual.
While this may be true with some of their insane prices, I dont know if any other phones still come with headphones either? And the goal is to eventually have all wireless charging, so there would be no port anyway to plug them in

Top Bottom