• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aqua Ippan (Metal Slug inspired) looks amazing

Azurro

Banned
Did they take the assets of MS and changes then up a little? This is a straight rip off, except that the jumping looks really janky.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

Looks pretty damn well made. But oh well, folks who don't even play any of these games will just talk about how they can play Metal Slug instead just to put a well made indie game down, especially since they never even did play Metal Slug anyway, since anyone who actually does and likes that gameplay and style would actually encourage and welcome some fresh content in the same vein after 23-27 freaking years rather than endlessly replay (save for trying to be champion speedrunner), so long as it's well made (so only a couple of the sequels even count, but let's trash a new game because obviously we only play the best of a genre, nothing else, 1 title per, no 1000 game strong backlogs here, nope!). I can't believe so many think all pixel art looks alike too. Get your eyes checked, it's obviously 100% original (& 100% inspired by/homage to obviously) content, nothing is stolen/ripped, look at it and just congratulate its high quality rather than show your ignorant lack of culture. Same for your concern trolling, it's not gonna get any more c&d by SNK than Mighty No. 9/Gunvolt got c&d by Capcom or Bloodstained (the side games too) by Konami. Sigh.

Next level: you're the dev or are only justified to be the dev if you respond to our ridiculous, ignorant, out of touch bullshit non arguments with facts, truth and a reality check. Good job, but no, it doesn't take effort to check a person's post history before making more idiotic claims like that but there you go, being ignorant and out of touch and making more dumb claims in an effort to justify your previous dumb claims even though I didn't even name names but you got triggered because you know you've been spewing dumb shit like that so pre-emptively accuse me of being triggered, lol 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
It's one thing to make it look loke Metal Slug. It'w whole another story to make is SOUND like Metal Slug.

Crazy-good demo, albeit w/o gore. I'm eagerly following the game's page now. Thank's a ton.

Porticus

Not only looks like a terrible (in the pejorative definition) knock off, but at this point I can simply spin up the original Metal Slug and have a much better experience.

Soodanim

Looks pretty damn well made. But oh well, folks who don't even play any of these games will just talk about how they can play Metal Slug instead just to put a well made indie game down, especially since they never even did play Metal Slug anyway, since anyone who actually does and likes that gameplay and style would actually encourage and welcome some fresh content in the same vein after 23-27 freaking years rather than endlessly replay it (save for trying to be champion speedrunner), so long as it's well made (so only a couple of the sequels even count, but let's trash a new game because obviously we only play the best of a genre, nothing else, 1 title per, no 1000 game strong backlog here, nope). I can't believe so many think all pixel art looks alike too. Get your eyes checked, it's obviously 100% original (& 100% inspired by/homage to obviously) content, nothing is stolen/ripped, look at it and just congratulate its high quality rather than show your ignorant lack of culture. Same for your concern trolling, it's not gonna get any more c&d by SNK than Mighty No. 9/Gunvolt got c&d by Capcom or Bloodstained (the side games too) by Konami. Sigh.

Now now, no need to be so touchy. Are you the/a developer? I hope so if you're that defensive of it.

Let's not pretend this isn't as close as you can possibly get to Metal Slug without actually being Metal Slug, to the point that SNK would 100% be asking their lawyers about it because it might not be legally distinct. An actual C&D is irrelevant, this is more of a clone than Dolly the sheep and hyperbolic insults won't change that.

You're best off not comparing to Mighty No. 9, as that game is both very different to Mega Man and atrocious. This is the opposite on both points. Bloodstained is the same, there's no way they'd ever be in trouble because it's so clearly different.

Ask 1000 people if they know of Metal Slug and if this game is Metal Slug. It'll be you in a corner alone being dramatic to yourself saying "It's 100% original" and 1000 people saying "Wow, that's not actually Metal Slug? They'll probably get sued."

Last edited:
Looks pretty damn well made. But oh well, folks who don't even play any of these games will just talk about how they can play Metal Slug instead just to put a well made indie game down, especially since they never even did play Metal Slug anyway, since anyone who actually does and likes that gameplay and style would actually encourage and welcome some fresh content in the same vein after 23-27 freaking years rather than endlessly replay it (save for trying to be champion speedrunner), so long as it's well made (so only a couple of the sequels even count, but let's trash a new game because obviously we only play the best of a genre, nothing else, 1 title per, no 1000 game strong backlog here, nope). I can't believe so many think all pixel art looks alike too. Get your eyes checked, it's obviously 100% original (& 100% inspired by/homage to obviously) content, nothing is stolen/ripped, look at it and just congratulate its high quality rather than show your ignorant lack of culture. Same for your concern trolling, it's not gonna get any more c&d by SNK than Mighty No. 9/Gunvolt got c&d by Capcom or Bloodstained (the side games too) by Konami. Sigh.
The fact you are so triggered only means you are the dev.

It's one thing to pay homage, but it's different matter when the game straight up copies Metal Slug's aesthetic to a T. This is why people think it rips off Metal Slug assets. Mighty No 9 and Bloodstained has their own art style so people don't accuse it being a rip off. This Aqua Ippan lacks identity. It's a straight up clone.

Looks kinda sick. Great memories of playing metal slug and eating fresh chicken nuggets at this local restaurant that has since shut down.

But why aren't the enemies shooting back?

Killer8

At this juncture I would rather have indie devs completely clone the style than put up with shite like Metal Slug: Awakening.

Nah, more like a re-skinned metal slug.
Looks good but not nearly as good as any Metal Slug game.
That looks like it took some assets out of the Metal Slug games, tbh.
Now now, no need to be so touchy. Are you the/a developer? I hope so if you're that defensive of it.

Let's not pretend this isn't as close as you can possibly get to Metal Slug without actually being Metal Slug, to the point that SNK would 100% be asking their lawyers about it because it might not be legally distinct. An actual C&D is irrelevant, this is more of a clone than Dolly the sheep and hyperbolic insults won't change that.

You're best off not comparing to Mighty No. 9, as that game is both very different to Mega Man and atrocious. This is the opposite on both points. Bloodstained is the same, there's no way they'd ever be in trouble because it's so clearly different.

Ask 1000 people if they know of Metal Slug and if this game is Metal Slug. It'll be you in a corner alone being dramatic to yourself saying "It's 100% original" and 1000 people saying "Wow, that's not actually Metal Slug? They'll probably get sued."
The fact you are so triggered only means you are the dev.

It's one thing to pay homage, but it's different matter when the game straight up copies Metal Slug's aesthetic to a T. This is why people think it rips off Metal Slug assets. Mighty No 9 and Bloodstained has their own art style so people don't accuse it being a rip off. This Aqua Ippan lacks identity. It's a straight up clone.
giphy.gif

So are you guys going to try out the demo?

Top Bottom