• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Secretlab chairs worth their price?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
My gaming chair.
markus-office-chair-vissle-dark-grey__0724714_pe734597_s5.jpg

gamer82

i had one and it was terrible, nothing but butt pain from it and to return it that thing would not dismantle , it was a nightmare they deffinatly do not dismantle as easy as their video claims im talking about that gaslfit section form the base. thankfully they took it back after multiple mails back n forth

I only sit in a chair when i play at night for a couple of hours and when i watch the occasional movie, my line of work is pretty active during the day.

In my city there is no harman miller shop and like i said, i'm not gonna spend 600 (or more) euros for a chair where someone sweated his ass on for years.

I looked for the steelcase one and the price is as ridicolous as the harman miller, no offense, but fuck that.

Trying the chair is not an option, my city only have shitty brands and i work all day, not much chance to go around the city trying chairs...
Herman Miller is great... I'd never thought to have bought one but my boss didn't like his and gave it to me. If I needed a replacement I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new one full price.

For "a couple of hours a day" even the cheap $150 "gaming chair" from Sam's Club we have back at the family homestead does the trick.

But hey, not every chair is going to fit everyone. And if you can't try it... you're just guessing. Make sure you can return it if you don't like it I suppose, I don't have any specific recommendations in that price range, maybe SecretLabs will work for you.

CSJ

ugh....
Secretlab is not an every OEM chinese chair like everyone thinks when word "gaming chair" is used.

I've got secretlab titan evo 2022 and let me tell you, it is fantastic and offers all possible adjustments. Just all the same + more as way overpriced harmans.
You get 3 chair sizes to customize to your weight/size. You get ergo adjustments like height, backrest tilt, whole seat tilt, lumbar height, lumbar depth, neck pillow adjustment (magnetic).
The only adjustment that is missing is seat depth but that's why you get 3 chair sizes.

I need to have a bit of honesty here because you've had a chair made in '22 right?
I said long term issues to posture and back.

Also the features you listed are pretty much like saying "hey this new car comes with AC, Adjustable Seats, USB, fullscreen display"
Yeah no duh :).

I had a gaming chair, pretty much identical profile to what you've shown and at first it was really nice compared to my cheap POS I had.
However after years and years I developed back/neck problems which I no longer have after using something completely different.

Secretlabs are known to push their chairs as being much better via a lot of promotional/sponsor material with youtubers and streamers etc, please don't buy in to that.
However I will say, if it's within your only budget I guess you could do worse with other brands and cheap office chairs.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I need to have a bit of honesty here because you've had a chair made in '22 right?
I said long term issues to posture and back.

Also the features you listed are pretty much like saying "hey this new car comes with AC, Adjustable Seats, USB, fullscreen display"
Yeah no duh :).

I had a gaming chair, pretty much identical profile to what you've shown and at first it was really nice compared to my cheap POS I had.
However after years and years I developed back/neck problems which I no longer have after using something completely different.

Secretlabs are known to push their chairs as being much better via a lot of promotional/sponsor material with youtubers and streamers etc, please don't buy in to that.
However I will say, if it's within your only budget I guess you could do worse with other brands and cheap office chairs.
I am 33. Using this chair for almost 2 years now and nothing hurts. I am not going to wait 10 years for review lol. One thing is that my ass and back no longer hurts give I don’t slouch

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I sit in Herman miller at work it is good. At home I had an ikea chair. Now I also have a cheap gaming chair.

Just go sit in a bunch of chairs

I’m 6’6” don’t know how round I am but I’m a large strong man.

sainraja

Do all the people who shat on secretlabs chairs even tried those chairs or they base their opinion on the old stigma that ALL the car seat looking chairs must be shit?

Because i was already aware of this, you are not telling me anything new, my question is specific for the secretlabs because they seems to be the only decent chairs that you can buy without selling your internal organs to the black market.
You seem to have your mind made up and seem to be aggressively pushing back on anyone suggesting otherwise; people who are just trying to help you. So, I will say, just get the SecretLabs chair you want and find out for yourself. lol

Last edited:

GymWolf

You seem to have your mind made up and seem to be aggressively pushing back on anyone suggesting otherwise; people who are just trying to help you. So, I will say, just get the SecretLabs chair you want and find out for yourself. lol
I also specified in my very first post that i don't want to buy used chairs not i want to spend 1200+ euros for an harman miller, you can understand my "aggressively pushing back" when i have to repeat what i said in my first post multiple times.

I'm also looking at all the stuff that was advised since now, the ikea markus, the steelcase one etc., But those are too cheap or too pricey, not really a viable alternative to a secretlab chair, i never said that i want to spend 100-200 euros, i'm perfectly ok with a 500-600 price tag for something new.

If you feel like i'm too aggressive then sorry, my bad, it's just the way i talk, people who know me here knows that i'm not ill intended.

Last edited:

sainraja

I also specified in my very first post that i don't want to buy used chairs not i want to spend 1200+ euros for an harman miller, you can understand my "aggressively pushing back" when i have to repeat what i said in my first post multiple times.

I'm also looking at all the stuff that was advised since now, the ikea markus, the steelcase one etc., But those are too cheap or too pricey, not really a viable alternative to a secretlab chair, i never said that i want to spend 100-200 euros, i'm perfectly ok with a 500-609 price tag for something new.

If you feel like i'm too aggressive then sorry, my bad, it's just the way i talk, people who know me here knows that i'm not ill intended.
Okay, gotcha. Fair enough. I was personally looking at getting one of the SecretLab chairs but my wife spotted a pretty good chair at a store that was closing and she said they were selling off everything at a discount, so she went and got it for me. It is a Herman Miller Mirra 2 but it is over $600. I just discovered how much it usually goes for, so my wife got it at a huge discount (between $300 and $400). I never looked it up before, lol.

GymWolf

Okay, gotcha. Fair enough. I was personally looking at getting one of the SecretLab chairs but my wife spotted a pretty good chair at a store that was closing and she said they were selling off everything at a discount, so she went and got it for me. It is a Herman Miller Mirra 2 but it is over $600. I just discovered how much it usually goes for, so my wife got it at a huge discount (between $300 and $400). I never looked it up before, lol.
Your girl sound like wife material to me.

Fuz

Banned
I'm on the market for a new chair and since some gaffers have these chairs i wanted to ask if they are really better compared to all the other gaming chairs.

In italy is harder to found refurbished herman miller chairs and i'm not fucking paying 600 euros for a used chair.

I'm a relatively big boy, 190cm for 90-100kg depends on the season, i'm interested in the titan evo 2020 because the 2022 seems to have very minor upgrades, does anyone of you tried both?

I'm going with the softwawe cover because leather is super sweaty in the summer, my only doubt about softwave is how comfortable it is when it touche the skin, is the fabrique soft enough?

Any impression, comparison etc. Is well accepted.

Thanks in advance.

P.s. they have san valentine discount jist for today so i would love to close the deal today and pay a bit less.
This is probably useless and not what you're looking for but:
Just took a walk at Unieuro yesterday while waiting for someone, and saw some "gamer" chairs that did not look like shit, for less than 300.
My problem with most of those chairs is (mostly) the stupid small and extremely uncomfortable looking armrests. Those had full-lenght stuffed armrests.
Maybe take a walk at one of those stores and try them out yourself.

[I googled the chairs people mentioned in here and they all look like uncomfortable crap to me]

Last edited:
IKEA Markus and call it a day. GGEZ!

Last edited:

Yerd

I worked at an office that used steelcase chairs. I liked them a lot. I then bought one for around $400 on ebay that turned out to be stolen from some company because it was unique fabric. That lead some detective to ring me up with questions. I had that chair for over 10 years.

Just recently bought another because my fabric was tearing and the arms are split. It's not as beefy as the first but definitely built better that the shitty gaming chairs and office chairs sold for less.

You can buy refurb steelcase for half their list price. The are usually going to have reupholster work done. So the shit stains won't be there, sorry.

GymWolf

I worked at an office that used steelcase chairs. I liked them a lot. I then bought one for around $400 on ebay that turned out to be stolen from some company because it was unique fabric. That lead some detective to ring me up with questions. I had that chair for over 10 years.

Just recently bought another because my fabric was tearing and the arms are split. It's not as beefy as the first but definitely built better that the shitty gaming chairs and office chairs sold for less.

You can buy refurb steelcase for half their list price. The are usually going to have reupholster work done. So the shit stains won't be there, sorry.
No shit stains is a deal breaker tbh.

GymWolf

Any opinions on the steelcase series 1 and 2?

They have a 20% discount in their site just for today and i can probably buy one of those models for the same price of the secretlab but since the series model is steelcase cheap model i don't wanna buy a dud.

GymWolf

I like my Titan quite a bit. Big and comfortable.
There is some controversy with the size i should chose.

The secretlab site says that for 6.2 and around my weight i should buy the XL but around the web they say tje standard is big enough and xl is for people like 6.5+ feet tall.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
There is some controversy with the size i should chose.

The secretlab site says that for 6.2 and around my weight i should buy the XL but around the web they say tje standard is big enough and xl is for people like 6.5+ feet tall.

I’m 6’1 200 lbs and the XL isn’t too big

Buggy Loop

Short answer, No (gaming chairs in general)

Long answer, you already spitted at my idea of taking a super expensive ergo chair a tad used for cheaper than a new gaming chair in that other thread and you don't want to spend that cash for new so...

I really hope a gaming chair works out for you. Don't know how old you are but, i find that since i work from home 2 days a week and then game often on PC, there's no skimping on chairs, when a back hurts it's typically a downward spiral from there unless it's corrected rapidly. Old work place's chairs were deteriorating my quality of life, had to complain a lot at the office for them to buy worthwhile chairs.

Personally, couldn't be happier with the humanscale freedom. The way it also adjusts without any levers. It's fantastic for an evening in front of computer. $400 CAD ($300 USD) slightly used, looks like new. So many offices buy the top quality, fill up the place and closed during COVID times, there's crazy deals if you try to find them.

kFdTMyACbjlcxJGQgzLfVgLocEOqEKtaWnLYHShy69jyFxlhUiAN3OuMp0DKGes-rXEMX0M73774RfitIFZKqcOLyA46tuYV2Q7y7bQ=s0-d-e1-ft

main-qimg-dafa89567b289cb6d3791451741e2ce5

Last edited:

GymWolf

I’m 6’1 200 lbs and the XL isn’t too big
Do you have the 2022 model?

I heard that if you are not very very tall you have to put the magnetic pillow way lower and it doesn't stay firm because the magnets are on the upper part of the seat.

I usually like to go with the bigger size because i don't like to feel constricted but a way bigger sized chair is the opposite of ergonomic or healthy for the spine.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
ugh....
Secretlab is not an every OEM chinese chair like everyone thinks when word "gaming chair" is used.

I've got secretlab titan evo 2022 and let me tell you, it is fantastic and offers all possible adjustments. Just all the same + more as way overpriced harmans.
You get 3 chair sizes to customize to your weight/size. You get ergo adjustments like height, backrest tilt, whole seat tilt, lumbar height, lumbar depth, neck pillow adjustment (magnetic).
The only adjustment that is missing is seat depth but that's why you get 3 chair sizes.

Then you also get choice of material. I use fabric myself since it is more breathable.
GymWolf GymWolf I've got arctic white and it is showing some staining after more than a year. Like only under certain light and I am cleaning with secretlab fabric wipes. It's all brand new looking and feeling beside that.
I will post a pic below

The seat also is very FIRM. The foam is cold cured shit or something. But what I found is that, you don't get initial "italian couch feel" but I don't get sore ass like I did on my previous chairs. It works and helps you keep good posture.
I also really like 4d armrests. I tilt them inwards when I play with controller.

One honest note - I did bought titan evo 2022 on it's release and first batches had major backrest problems. my firs backrest was very fucking noisy. 2nd one had crooked lumbar. Third one is perfect.
The support was very good and replaced each time no questions asked. They Send a courier with new backrest and arrange for courier to pick up the old one. Support took about a month. Slow but no problems.

69EDdnT.jpg

So yeah, no doubt hermans are good and all.... but this is 500$ and got many of the same features
The Titan 2022 is a fantastic chair tbh. Super comfortable, very well made.

I would personally recommend getting the leather/synthetic material. It's easier to clean.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
ugh....

Then you also get choice of material. I use fabric myself since it is more breathable.
GymWolf GymWolf I've got arctic white and it is showing some staining after more than a year. Like only under certain light and I am cleaning with secretlab fabric wipes. It's all brand new looking and feeling beside that.
I will post a pic below

The seat also is very FIRM. The foam is cold cured shit or something. But what I found is that, you don't get initial "italian couch feel" but I don't get sore ass like I did on my previous chairs. It works and helps you keep good posture.
I also really like 4d armrests. I tilt them inwards when I play with controller.

One honest note - I did bought titan evo 2022 on it's release and first batches had major backrest problems. my firs backrest was very fucking noisy. 2nd one had crooked lumbar. Third one is perfect.
The support was very good and replaced each time no questions asked. They Send a courier with new backrest and arrange for courier to pick up the old one. Support took about a month. Slow but no problems.

69EDdnT.jpg

So yeah, no doubt hermans are good and all.... but this is 500$ and got many of the same features
There you go again flexing your cozy setup. Look at the gaming pc too. I seem to recall some nutters doubting you on that.

GymWolf

The Titan 2022 is a fantastic chair tbh. Super comfortable, very well made.

I would personally recommend getting the leather/synthetic material. It's easier to clean.
I live in a very hot city during summer, leather is sweaty compared to synthetic, my current chair is leather and i hate it.

Also synthetic should be more comfy in the winter aswell.

I don't eat or jerk off while seating so no risk of ugly stains:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

They have a 20% discount in their site just for today and i can probably buy one of those models for the same price of the secretlab but since the series model is steelcase cheap model i don't wanna buy a dud.
I have a Steelcase Amia I picked up for $100 second hand in perfect condition, very comfortable chair and beautiful in the room. The "series" line doesn't have the same build quality and adjustability as the higher end models. Go used!

GymWolf

Short answer, No (gaming chairs in general)

Long answer, you already spitted at my idea of taking a super expensive ergo chair a tad used for cheaper than a new gaming chair in that other thread and you don't want to spend that cash for new so...

I really hope a gaming chair works out for you. Don't know how old you are but, i find that since i work from home 2 days a week and then game often on PC, there's no skimping on chairs, when a back hurts it's typically a downward spiral from there unless it's corrected rapidly. Old work place's chairs were deteriorating my quality of life, had to complain a lot at the office for them to buy worthwhile chairs.

Personally, couldn't be happier with the humanscale freedom. The way it also adjusts without any levers. It's fantastic for an evening in front of computer. $400 CAD ($300 USD) slightly used, looks like new. So many offices buy the top quality, fill up the place and closed during COVID times, there's crazy deals if you try to find them.

kFdTMyACbjlcxJGQgzLfVgLocEOqEKtaWnLYHShy69jyFxlhUiAN3OuMp0DKGes-rXEMX0M73774RfitIFZKqcOLyA46tuYV2Q7y7bQ=s0-d-e1-ft

main-qimg-dafa89567b289cb6d3791451741e2ce5
I don't like to buy used stuff in general, especially when the used price is higher than a new product.

Also it is not that easy to find refurbished high quality chairs in italy, i never saw any office here with quality chairs, they always use the cheapest shit they can find.

Ulysses 31

No, the Embody from Herman Miller is the best chair I've used so far. Don't wanna risk developing earlier than usual back problems because of those "gaming" chairs. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Sentenza

I bought a "gaming chair" once under the suggestion of a friend who wouldn't quit promising it was great for the price of entry (169 euro) and in the long run I have to say it was one of the worst purchases I've ever made.
Both in durability (but I can blame going for a relatively cheap model here) and especially in ergonomics/comfort.
To the point it made me swear I will never go for a "gaming chair" ever again.

Yerd

I doubt you could buy at a comparable price. It's going to be missing arms and probably have square wheels. They aren't cheap chairs. That's the problem. But, they will last a long time.

Z O N E

Honestly, no.

Overpriced and they know they can charge that much and get away with it as you are essentially paying for the brand.

Long term sitting in those chairs is actually not good for your body. They are ideal for racing as they amazing for holding your body in place in race cars, but not good for gaming on.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I'm on the market for a new chair and since some gaffers have these chairs i wanted to ask if they are really better compared to all the other gaming chairs.

In italy is harder to found refurbished herman miller chairs and i'm not fucking paying 600 euros for a used chair.

I'm a relatively big boy, 190cm for 90-100kg depends on the season, i'm interested in the titan evo 2020 because the 2022 seems to have very minor upgrades, does anyone of you tried both?

I'm going with the softwawe cover because leather is super sweaty in the summer, my only doubt about softwave is how comfortable it is when it touche the skin, is the fabrique soft enough?

Any impression, comparison etc. Is well accepted.

Thanks in advance.

P.s. they have san valentine discount jist for today so i would love to close the deal today and pay a bit less.
I have 4 of these XXL chairs in our office. One is a Max-Nomic (which became SL later I believe) and the other 3 are SL chairs.

I also have several HM Chairs in the office....the SL chairs are extremely comfortable especially for larger folks (6ft+ and 250+lbs).

Their lumbar support is fantastic, the padding hasn't given out yet, and all the material is high quality and still in great shape (after 5+ years on one chair).

As a big guy, I don't think you can go wrong with these.

ugh....

I will post a pic below

I also have a Secret Lab 2022 Titan or whatever they call it, and these are my thoughts to a T. It is a very well-built chair and I like it a lot.

Previously, I owned a DX Racer for about 5 years, and then a regular office chair before that (which actually caused me enough back issues that I had to do PT to resolve it).

I wouldn't recommend gaming chairs to everyone, but for me, I actually find certain automotive chairs more comfortable than any office chair I've ever sat in, and that's what led me down the path of looking at "gaming chairs."

I think there's a lot of instant dislike of them because people see them as the chair of Influencers, but ultimately a chair is a chair, and everyone is different in what they find comfortable. There's a lot of crappy gaming chairs, just like there's a lot of crappy office chairs. Best anyone can do is sit in everything and find what works best for their body.

*Nightwing

Secretlabs reputation in quality exceeds the gamer chair market reputation’s for swindling.

As someone that is 6’3 with a herniated disk that it is only managed with physical therapy and exercise, my job at the time once gave me a Herman Miller Areon for the office. It gave great lumbar support and is comfortable and sort of cradles your back, but it didn’t give the rest of my back support or keep the rest of my back straight and I preferred to stand at my office desk to both maintain spinal alignment as well as exercise my core muscles keeping my back straight rather than sit in it, not to mention it offers no head support on its own. The backrest ended about 2 inches below my shoulders despite its adjustability and that lack of high support on a reclining chair is a nightmare for anyone over 6’ with a lower back injury.

I bought my first secretlabs chair about 4 years ago now when I changed to work from home. It keeps your back properly aligned, and is hard and provides proper ergonomic spinal alignment. It broke at the reclining mechanism due to defect after 2 years and the warranty process was quick & simple. My only complaint was as a taller person it doesn’t have much shoulder width for comfort. I was comfortable but stuck in only the normal upright seated position and couldn’t shift positions much.

I went ahead and got a Titan XL 2022 a bit over a year ago and went with the softweave fabric and swear by it. The extra space gives the flexibility to change seated positions, and it’s still hard and supportive for my bad back. I also recommend the Titan XL over the normal Titan chair due to the seat being flatter on it allowing for shifting seated positions to be more comfortable.

somesang

I own a Secret Lab and an Aeron. I use the Secret lab because it's a taller chair. Is it better? No. Was it worth the price? Also no. But am I happy using it? Definitely not. But I bought it so I'll wait til it breaks which actually might be a very long time. It still looks brand new after 4 years.

Astray

I don't give a damn about the look or for it to be a gaming chair or a office chair, but harman miller chairs are too overpriced and like i said, i'm not gonna pay 500-600 euros for an used chair.
Check office liquidators around your area and find a used but high quality office chair. Your back will thank you in a few years.

Housh

My 2014 aeron is still the best chair I own. I have some knock offs I use downstairs which I'll replace with legit aeron's once they break. I still think chairs are subjective and if you can find a place to sit in one to try it--that'll be your best bet.

I wouldn't personally recommend any gaming chair over an office chair. I've been sitting for a living for years... no one sits more than ppl that work in an office, even if you have standing one you'll be sitting more than half the time. I'd recommend a Herman Miller or Steelcase to something equivalent. There are chairs that can match tho two brands, they just don't have the name recognition.

Sorry OT: I don't think they're worth it.

If you look on craigslist or FB Marketplace you can probably get your hands on a good used Herman Miller/Steelcase. There have been a lot of startups/business that went out of business and are looking to liquidate their office furniture. I got really lucky with my Herman Miller chair, it was FREE, we were moving offices and they wanted to buy all new furniture. So, my office manager tipped me off and told me to just take one home... they're going to trash/donate them anyway lol

Last edited:

Dave_6

I like mine and can sit in it for a few hours and still be comfortable. I just need to find something to put my feet up on. I do wish I would've gone with the leather type material instead as the fabric is a pain to clean after two cats decide to use it as a bed.

nbkicker

Would love to say i own one, but after experience with them or should i say delivery company xdp they use in uk would never use them again after ordering a secret labs chair last yr, paid extra to get chair quicker, showed xdp picked up the chair the next day after that just showed at the depot, couldnt contact xdp as they don’t answer or reply, contacted secret labs which took them a week to email back to say they would look into this, a week later and nothing so email them again and wait another week for them to answer , yet again someone saying hopefully they can resolve this and waiting for delivery company to reply to them, another week and nothing and email to say i wanted a full refund, to which a week later got a email saying it looks like order gone missing and made out they were doing me a favour by refunding my money to me, even though it was over a month and nothing delivered and they didnt no where chair was, so went to overclockers and got a nobble chair, ordered one day delivered to my house next day

Last edited:
Top Bottom