• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asylum seekers flee U.S. for Quebec, fearing their temporary permits will expire

8615716061_2d5937696e.jpg

On the left side of this library is Derby Line Vermont, on the right side is Stanstead Quebec. No border patrol either.

8615716061_2d5937696e.jpg

On the left side of this library is Derby Line Vermont, on the right side is Stanstead Quebec. No border patrol either.

Would have loved to be there during election night so when It was revealed that Trump won I could exclaim "Fuck This, I'm going to Canada" and moved to next seat over.

Would have loved to be there during election night so when It was revealed that Trump won I could exclaim "Fuck This, I'm going to Canada" and moved to next seat over.

That would have been great. Or what if US border patrol was chasing some asylum seekers trying to apprehend them, and the asylum seekers made it to the Canadian side of the library. Would US border patrol have to stop the pursuit once they made it to the Canadian side?

Aske

Welcome to Canada! Hope everyone looking for anustart finds this country as friendly and accepting as I did.

Edit:

What worries me is theyll come to Quebec and go on welfare.

I assumed this was satire before reading your follow-up posts. As a Canadian tax payer, I'm happy for any of these guys to receive a financial leg up if they need it. That's exactly where I want to see my tax dollars going.

It's not surprising. The TPS program in the United States gave 50 thousands Haitians a temporary non immigrant status. The problem with TPS is that it never leads to any permanent status. It doesn't prevent one, but it doesn't help either. TPS usually gets renewed for many years because frankly most armed conflicts and natural disasters take years and even decades to reverse. I am wondering on what grounds is Canada letting them stay? The definition of a refugee is someone escaping prosecution based on political beliefs, religion, and belonging to a prosecuted social group. I don't think a lot of these Haitians meet that definition because the TPS status designation was because of natural disaster. Regardless, I am glad they are getting the help they need. But we also must think about the rising number of refuges through out the world. It's been highest since the world wars.

Top Bottom