• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roma Fleeing the E.U.’s ‘Broken Promises’ Seek Asylum in the U.S

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegoosen

Neo Member
The ones that do integrate well, you'll probably never encounter.

The problem is that nobody gives a flying fuck about these that do integrate well, even if they are essential for building bridges to the roma community and helping them to intigrate.

Mael

This thread moved 3 to 4 pages since last time I went in here.

1eR2bqk.gif

Oh and btw for the Jewish/Gypsy comparison?
Guess who got hit very hard along with homosexuals last time someone thought they had a good efficient way to solve the issue?

petran79

Banned
Both are thought to be of indian origin.

Gypsy derrives probably from Egyptian, due to their skin colour. Initially in the medieval times they assumed Egypt was the country of origin, though it may have been one of their destinations. In my language (Greek) a subword of Arab is also used derivatively for black people (a little less offensive than the n-word)

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Gypsy derrives probably from Egyptian, due to their skin colour. Initially in the medieval times they assumed Egypt was the country of origin, though it may have been one of their destinations. In my language (Greek) a subword of Arab is also used derivatively for black people (a little less offensive than the n-word)
There's no "probably", they came from India and arrived in Europe about 800 years ago.

milanbaros

Member?

What? They are from Indian subcontinent. Also, they look like they are from India, not from Eqypt.

What? They are from Indian subcontinent. Also, they look like they are from India, not from Eqypt.

Being wrong never stopped the Brits fom anything.

I have read that it was once a capital offence in England to impersonate an Egyptian. Is this true and what were the reasons?

THE WANDERING people, called by themselves Romany, first appeared in England in the early 16th century and were then thought to have come from Egypt. Hence the description 'Egyptians' (and its corruption into 'gypsy') and the legislation against them. Thus in 1530 Henry VIII expelled the 'outlandish people calling themselves Egyptians ... who used great, subtil and crafty means to deceive the people ... that they by palmestry could tell men's and women's fortunes'. Later legislation provided that if any 'Egyptians shall remain in this realm or Wales one month ... it is felony', and it was also felony to disguise oneself as an Egyptian or to be seen in company with them. All the felonies were without benefit of clergy and therefore attracted the death penalty. By the Restoration the offence was still being prosecuted to execution, for Chief Justice Sir Mathew Hale recalled that 'at the Assizes at Bury about 13 were condemned and executed for this offence', and at York Assizes in 1655 four persons were accused of keeping company with vagabonds 'commonly called egiptians', though they were fortunate enough to be acquitted. The statutes were repealed in the l8th century when it was provided that 'all persons pretending to be gypsies, or wandering in the habit or form of Egyptians shall be deemed rogues and vagabonds'.

https://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,,-1278,00.html

This is what eastern european gypsy neighborhood usually looks like. Or what eastern europeans think when they hear the word gypsy

034otviracka-640x480.jpg
I spent some time in Romania this summer (road trip there), with a Romanian friend, and this is what the houses of Roma people look like (outside of Bucharest).

Roumanie_maison_Roms_serie_sur_les_ecarts_de_richesse_2.jpg

Also, people in Romania I spoke to didn't have any problems with Roma people, not even my friend who was almost abducted by them when she was a kid. Being a guy from Western Europe, I was quite shocked.

Nikodemos

Oh, and FWIW, 'gyp' is a slur.

Just like nobody would use "man, I got jewed by that asshole" anymore, nobody should use "man, what a gyp" (as in, what a rip-off).

Hypnotoad

Well let's talk about oppression. These are links to different European Commission's papers:

Or would you rather use the word discrimination?

Sorry, but there is a huge qualitative difference between oppresion and discrimination. Roma who adhere their time-honored lifestyle are discriminated against in places throughout Europe, sure. It doesn't mean that they are oppressed.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Roma are disliked all around here in Norway. It's somewhat understandable, as they're constantly playing super annoying music in the streets, loitering and generally being really messy. I guess thousands of years of prosecution, hatered and violence does a lot with your sense of worth and cultural identity.

The government has tried to give them housing, but the results have been disasterous based on what I've read. They're a tough people to integrate, but there are some success stories where families have established themselves as regular citizens with educations and jobs.

I've never had any problems with the Roma in Oslo myself, besides one woman who got really bothersome when trying to get me to buy a gold necklace or whatever, and a guy who I bought a hot dog for and who afterwards got pissy about me not buying him a bottle of soda too. Although I was rather amused the one time I met three Roma women in their 50s-60s who tried to convince me I should go home with them to have sex with them. Yeah, no.

Anyway, it's a vicious circle. As they have no education they can't get a job in any other EU country, and as they have no job there they can't move there, and as they can't move there they can't get an education there. Add to that a somewhat nomadic lifestyle just not working that well with a modern, settled lifestyle, and it's hard to work it all out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom