• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At what age did you start to drink alcohol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live on Long Island in the 'burbs and there is barely anything ever to do it seems. I just starting drinking last year in 11th grade because I never quite got the appeal of drinking. Now I do. It just makes everything more enjoyable.

Anyhow, I came to the drinking party pretty late for my town. I'd say about 90% of kids my age in my town drink at least occasionally. It seems like everyone drinks. What's the deal in your town/college?

Jim Bowie

16 years of age, not including the tiny bit of champagne at New Year's Eve parties. I've determined that vermouth is liquor syrup, clear liquors are unbelievable potent, and any other liquor besides Bushmill's Irish Whiskey is terrible.

AntoneM

Jim Bowie said:
16 years of age, not including the tiny bit of champagne at New Year's Eve parties. I've determined that vermouth is liquor syrup, clear liquors are unbelievable potent, and any other liquor besides Bushmill's Irish Whiskey is terrible.

you SOB! Scotch on the rocks is the best alcohol you can have, of course you're going to want to spend at bare minimun $20, it's worth it... oh, at the tender age of 16, Christ I've been drinking for 7 years good god I'm old!

Dyne

Before my grad. I opened a bottle of Kahlua my parents weren't going to use anyways and enjoyed it. I also drank a lot of wine and liquor they had lying around.

I tried getting drunk the night before grad night but no success.

I've only had glasses of wine since. (Healthy amounts, mind you.)

Ecrofirt

I drank once when I was 17. Got drunk off my ass, and didn't enjoy the after-effects.

My girlfriend is out at a drinking party right now, and she's not supposed to drink with the medication she's on.

Maybe someone will FHUTA. I hope so.

Bobety

Well i tasted a bit of my parent's wine/beer when i was little but i didnt actually start drinking till i was about 13

BuddyC

Ecrofirt said:
My girlfriend is out at a drinking party right now, and she's not supposed to drink with the medication she's on.

Maybe someone will FHUTA. I hope so.

I always hope someone does my girl when she goes out on her own too! Weird!

As for me, I started when I was 15/16 or so. Somewhere around there, it's all kinda fuzzy.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Well my parents used to offer me wine and beer and shit, but I didn't start drinking until I was 18 about a month from 19. Heavy drinking began at my 20th birthday.

18 at a wedding in New Orleans. If you ever want to start, thats a really good way to do it, especially with hot 23 year old nurses that are bridesmaids at a bar on Bourbon Street.
Good times.

Brannon

Forgot which age I started (20 something), but I know I stopped at the same time. Took a sip, tasted like crap. Few months pass, drank with some buddies, still tasted like crap and I was acting normal while they were acting goofy. Few months pass, drank a beer, spat it out and said fuck this.

How the hell do you get past the anti-christ that is beer 'flavor'?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
18. I'm not a beer guy though, I prefer to only drink hard liquor. I don't really drink too often though, maybe once every few weeks with some friends, but when I do, I like to go all out. I prefer just chilling with a few good friends than any kind of party scene. I've never quite understood the fun in drinking with strangers at a bar or party (of the college variety).

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
25, and I still haven't started.

Oh, I'll open a beer, or share a glass of wine every once in a while, but I never finish either.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
DJ Brannon said:
Forgot which age I started (20 something), but I know I stopped at the same time. Took a sip, tasted like crap. Few months pass, drank with some buddies, still tasted like crap and I was acting normal while they were acting goofy. Few months pass, drank a beer, spat it out and said fuck this.

Bada-BING, this goes for all alcoholic beverages IMO. They either taste like crap, or you can't taste the alcohol at which point you wonder why you aren't just drinking a sprite (much cheaper) instead. The only reason I can figure to drink would be to get drunk, but that is against my religion and losing my good sense doesnt sound appealing anyway. Boo to drinking, boo I say.

If I drink, it's only to get drunk. Otherwise, what's the point of drinking beer? Because the majority of you are right, it tastes like crap. I rather have a soda or water anyday. But drinking provides hilarity and chaos. Even if I get a little out of control sometimes, and do stuff like this...

61975785.jpg

...which unfortunately leads to this...

61975835.jpg

...it's still fun as hell.

border

I don't think I ever did it that heavily until I was 17 or 18. When I was below those ages, it was ironically much harder to procure alcohol than it was to get drugs. Since turning 21 I have become a drinker almost exclusively.

The best thing to do in my mind is just to get buzzed, not ripped. Ripped = puking and headaches and forgetfulness. Buzzed = everything just feels better. The only times I really get ripped is when I play quarters, which is fun as hell, and its always great to win so many times that the guy next to you is puking in the toilet (not in my place mind you)

ChrisReid

DJ Brannon said:

This pretty much echoes my experience and sentiments exactly.

Teddman

My uncle hooked me up with a wine cooler around age 13, I think that was the first time I got any semblance of a buzz.

Didn't actually get drunk with friends until around age 15 or so (peppermint schnapps, then Southern Comfort mainly), and until senior year of high school it was on a very sporadic basis.

border

DJ Brannon said:
Drinking good imported beer helps.

If that doesn't work, you can try imported ciders like Strongbow.

If all else fails, you can try drinking alco-pops like Smirnoff Ice and Mike's Hard Lemonade. Keep in mind that every sip lowers your testosterone levels, and prolonged exposure will actually make you turn into a woman.

Teddman

DJ Brannon said:
Good suggestions from Border, but I think the simplest answer is:

Just keep drinking it.

Eventually, you will get past the taste issue and even learn to enjoy it. I remember the summer after high school graduation, before heading into my freshman year of college. I had pretty much stuck to mixed drinks throughout high school, because I just couldn't stand the taste of beer.

But I knew that I couldn't head to college and act like a priss at all of those keg parties, where if you don't drink beer, you don't drink. What was I, going to bring a bottle of rum and a six-pack of Coke out to Greek row? Or look like a girlie man who couldn't handle the bad taste of beer?

So I eased myself into beer, started out by having a couple after I was already halfway drunk on liquor. They always go down easier when you've got a buzz. Gradually I just started drinking brews outright, and it only took a few weekends of six-packs for the taste to become tolerable. Soon I even liked it a little--and back then my buddies' beer of choice was Miller Lite Ice, a terrible beer by my standards today. ;)

Insertia

I begin drinking at 18. I was at a party that a had a massive cooler filled with 24oz cans of alcohol. No one said anything when me and some underage friends went in and grabbed a couple. Beer taste disgusting until you're buzzed, then the taste no longer matters. I also had some 'Yagermeister'(sp?).

That stuff fucked me up good. I vomited all over place and passed out on someones bed.

I remember my parents let me taste beer and wine and around six. They hardly ever drank though; only when they had company over. I hated it. I remember drink a glass of champagne at a wedding when I was 14 or something. Mmm, didn't really like it. 22 years old, and my friends get me to drink. Stupid. Told myself, never again. Well, 8 months later, there I was again. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Depression about some chick + friends who drink = bad news. Thankfullly, I promised myself that would never happen again.

moist

I had some of my grandpas beer when I was like 8 but the first time I got drunk was when I was 13 off 151 proof rum......... didn't really have the desire to ever even look at alcohol again untill I was 17.

I had my first shot of 5 o'clock vodka at my dads house about a week ago.

I didn't feel anything besides an upset stomach. It tasted like shit.

I don't plan on ever drinking again for those reasons.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
I started drinking when I was 15 and quit when I was 16.

Since then, the drunkeness feeling just doesn't appeal to me. I wear my inhibitions like a winter coat. Plus, it tastes like absolute shit. Give me a can of soda anytime.

White Man

Started when I was around 11 or 12. That's about the average age where I grew up, actually. I didn't realize how uncommon (and thus depressing) this was. Fuck, I've been drinking consistently for more than 10 years. That's an eye opener. At least I'm clean from non-prescribed chemicals now, though.

I was 12 when I first started, being Irish that is around the normal starting age. I remember it well, 4 buddies and each of us had 4 beers each. Simply awful taste, but we struggled to down it.

Got sick of it by the age of 18 though and haven't had a drink for the past 8 years. Just too many bad nights getting sick, just grew out of it to be honest.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
21. And it wasn't once I hit 21, it was about half a year later when I went to Japan. Lord I drank a lot there. I was at a bar with some friends, and we pretty much ordered every mixed drink available. Did that on several occasions.
Don't care for beer that much, although Guinness was astounding. I'm not going to condition myself for it, fuck that. Even if I am gonna get shitfaced, I'm gonna have some fun to it. It was fun as hell sitting with a bottle of rum and some random japanese vending machine drinks and mixing up shit for myself and people.
And plum wine is awesome.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
I started a few months after my 22nd birthday. I've been making up for lost time since.

I hadmy first social drink when I was 18 or 19. It was some time around my birthday so I can't remember if it was before or after.

I'm 20 right now.

XS+

Banned
1st time I consumed alcohol was like 6 or so, but first time I guzzled liquor like Kool Aid was when I was 19. A few crudely-mixed rum n cokes later I was passed out with my face buried in some hot broad's lap, that was a fun night :)

LakeEarth

Kids with parents born in US/Canada - "You don't drink until your old enough!!!"

Kids with parents born in Europe - "Want some wine with your happy meal!?!"

Since my parents are Greek, I can honestly say 5.

I first started drinking when I was 18, after I started smoking weed in fact. I have never gotten all that drunk though. I think the only time I ever went over the equivalent of 6 beers was when a friend and I (helped a bit by another) drank a bottle of Jack Daniels in half an hour. I think I've actually gotten drunk less than 15 times, and I don't drink to get drunk anymore. I love beer now (having grown to like it over my first year of University) and most of all I like the buzz that one or two pints of beer can give you.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Aside from a wee bit (like 3 or 4 instances) of experemental drinking during younger years, I didn't start until I was 21.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom