• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At what age did you start to drink alcohol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I had a few drinks with some friends when I was 18. I never seriously drank until I was like, 19 or 20. I still only drink maybe 5 times a year at the most. I'm a fuckin' square.

Starting heavy drinking young is a waste of your youth. I never got into the shit faced croud when I was 14 like most of my small town friends did. I started drinking when I was 18 and even then it was always light weight. Only when I was around 22 did I start heading out to the pub with friends for hours on end. I'm almost 30 now and my taste in booze has change considerably as well as my drinking habits.

To the people who have never had liquor you are missing out. Everyone should learn to appreciate a good scotch, glass of wine, beer, etc. I like liqour for a few simple reasons...

It takes craft and skill to create a good liqour. The methodology behind making a good liquor is sometimes hundreds of years old.
The variety of mixes that can be created between juice, soda, coffee, and liqour is excellent.
Knowing and picking wines is also a considerable talent, one which the ladies certainly appreciate.

The aim of getting completely hosed stupid drunk is pathetic though. If that is the goal you may as well just down pure alcohol as the taste probably isn't going to matter to you. You also need a personality that doesn't resort to quick escapes to deal with problems.

16, junior year of high school. I started "getting wasted" senior year, but it was about every other saturday night and we only really did it at my one friend's house "with the cool parents" so it was harmless. When I went to school I was pretty depressed for the first half of the year, then I joined a frat with a few of my buddies and proceeded to get drunk playing caps five nights/days of the week. I was holding my shit down for a while, but the frat ended up getting thrown off campus and my interests took a bit of a u-turn so I now I'll occasionally have a couple of beers while playing darts, but otherwise I steer clear.

Booze, I'm 22 and I feel as though our relationship has faded away: may it soon begin anew.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Tried it when I was 11.

It sucked. Haven't touched it since.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Brian Fellows said:
yes beer is nasty. Thats what poor people drink :p

No. Poor people drink MD 20/20.

md.jpg

totoro'd

Agree on the beer tasting nasty consensus.

Had my first drink around age 17-18, shared a wine cooler with a friend. Then got plastered almost every weekend in college. Now I drink about once ever 2-3 months, and never miss it.

Hamfam

I started off at 15, with like 8+ beers. I don't drink much at all now though, try and keep healthy.

Obviously I'd had alchohol before that, but not "seriously"

nitewulf

started around 16, drank more regularly around 17, and during the first two years of college (18 and 19). since then settled down to an occassional pace.

Let's just say that I had more than a few beers and made a complete ass of myself at my cousin's baby's birthday party a few weeks back. They're going to send me a bill for the dry cleaning.

The thing about beer is, the first one takes like shit, but after you're drunk it's like drinking air. The more you've had the easier it is to continue.

stonedwal

16, and I was considered to be a late starter around these parts.

Don't drink beer that much, fills me full of gas. Over the past two years my alcohol tolerance has dropped rapidly due to being so far away from my drinking buddies.

miyuru

17, though 18 is the legal age in Alberta. My first toke session was at 16 (I don't hold anything at my house, never have, never will).

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
DarthWufei said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Never had a single sip of any alcoholic beverage. Never smoked or done a drug either.

Same here (I'm 18 now). Will that change when I go to college? Good question...

22, and another "still don't". I like acting silly more than most people, but if I'm not doing it by conscious decision... it's cheating.

aoi tsuki

Neutron Night said:
Let's just say that I had more than a few beers and made a complete ass of myself at my cousin's baby's birthday party a few weeks back. They're going to send me a bill for the dry cleaning.

The thing about beer is, the first one takes like shit, but after you're drunk it's like drinking air. The more you've had the easier it is to continue.
i'll never quite understand why people who can't enjoy beer drink it to get drunk. You're better off with drinking something more accessible like a Grey Goose Watermelon martini. Tastes like an alcoholic Jolly Rancher, and gauranteed to get a lightweight drunk after a drink, maybe two.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Hmm, whereabouts on the Island do you live? I agree, there's not much to do around here... go out to eat, see movies, go bowling... occasionally go to the city. But it's like that in every suburb.

I started drinking when I was 19 and I could legally get it in Canada. I don't drink very much though, as I don't like getting drunk and feeling like ass the next day... I just don't see the point, it's boring after a while.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
JetSetHero said:
I can't believe that so many people don't drink here. You simply don't get that in my town.

Actually, you probably do, you probably don't know or care about the people who don't.

Not saying its bad or anything, but people who do the same things tend to stick together.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Like a few others here, I did it quite heavily between the ages 14-17, began tapering off around 18, and haven't had a drop since a few months before my 19th birthday (I'm about halfway through 20 now). I don't plan on resuming anytime soon -- besides the health issues that come from drinking, I find that I very much enjoy clear-headed sobriety and the superior taste of (most) non-alcholic beverages.

EDIT: And since it seems to be part of the thread...I've always, always hated beer. It tastes disgusting and is quite inefficent for intoxicating yourself (assuming that's what you're out to do).

Dilbert

I was 22 when I first started to drink. I partied pretty hard for a couple years while still in college, but now have settled down into a REALLY cheap date for the most part. If I have more than one or two drinks in a night, it's headline news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom