• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At what age will you die

So, if you had to guess at what age will you die, what would it be?
Based on your current lifestyle.

I'll go first. I think I'll die at the age of 36. So I got 8 more years to live.
Why do I think I'll die at this age? Well I'm smoking 2 packs a day, I like to drink from time to time, I don't workout and I eat fat foods almost every day.
I've always been into hedonism and I've always said that it would be a mirracle if I live to be 30. So far so good.

How about you?

Dark Star

I don't drink or smoke, only when out with friends. I eat plenty of fruit/veggies, but I like to indulge in fast-food once in a while. I get about 8 hours of sleep every night. I could workout/exercise more, but I'm in decent shape, I go hiking once a week.

I'm in my early 20's, so I'll probably live to see 2050 at least, unless I get hit by a car or something tomorrow lol.

Last edited:

Karma Jawa

What age will I die?

I turned 40 last summer. That’s strange to write as I feel like a more informed version of my 20 year old self.

I don’t think I’ll live to see 50, and I don’t want to.

appaws

Banned
I see that you are all trying reverse psychology on God by predicting that you will die young. It may work.

I'm already 45. My parents are both in their 60s. All my Grandparents lived into at least their 60s. One until 90. Both grandpas died of cancer, but one was lung after smoking his whole life.

So if I had to play the odds I would guess at least into my 60s...what bothers me most is thinking about my wife. She is 5 years younger than me. Women live an average of 5 more years than men. That alone puts her at a decade beyond me...but her grandparents are all ridiculously old, like late 80s and 90s. If my wife gets those genes she could be around for a really long time after me, so I worry about her.

Karma Jawa

I see that you are all trying reverse psychology on God by predicting that you will die young. It may work.

I'm already 45. My parents are both in their 60s. All my Grandparents lived into at least their 60s. One until 90. Both grandpas died of cancer, but one was lung after smoking his whole life.

So if I had to play the odds I would guess at least into my 60s...what bothers me most is thinking about my wife. She is 5 years younger than me. Women live an average of 5 more years than men. That alone puts her at a decade beyond me...but her grandparents are all ridiculously old, like late 80s and 90s. If my wife gets those genes she could be around for a really long time after me, so I worry about her.

For me it’s not reverse psychology. My fiancée died in December 2018 aged 37 (three weeks after her birthday). I’m not suicidal, but I really wish I was. It came out of nowhere and I’m just completely directionless.

You’re right to be worried about that scenario. I’m on the other end of it and it’s both mortifying and petrifying.

appaws

Banned
For me it’s not reverse psychology. My fiancée died in December 2018 aged 37 (three weeks after her birthday). I’m not suicidal, but I really wish I was. It came out of nowhere and I’m just completely directionless.

You’re right to be worried about that scenario. I’m on the other end of it and it’s both mortifying and petrifying.

That's horrible. So sorry to hear about your fiancee. That's gotta be hard as fuck dude.

Karma Jawa

That's horrible. So sorry to hear about your fiancee. That's gotta be hard as fuck dude.

We were together for 14 years. Got engaged about three years ago, but we were both casual about marriage.

Thanks. It’s an utter head fuck. She was a wonderful person too. I know everyone says that, but she really was. Anyway I don’t want to sidetrack the thread. I just can’t picture my life without her. Some old man in his 70s or 80s still grieving. It doesn’t appeal to me.

My gut feeling says 74. I'm not fat, I don't smoke or drink, or do other unhealthy things like that, but I don't exercise, don't eat very healthy and I sleep a lot. Can't really predict these things though.

SpartanN92

Banned
I need to make some lifestyle changes for sure. At this rate I’d say 65.
I’m 27, I’m 280lbs (admittedly I’m 6’4” and broad, but definitely 50lbs overweight)
I don’t drink and I don’t smoke but I don’t exercise. I used to be a crazy gym buff, but when I started dating my wife I stopped going to the gym and started pouring on the weight.

Fuck, I’m going to the gym tomorrow. I have a 4 month old daughter, I want to live to be 100.

lock2k

Banned
Both my family and my wife's family have a lot of people who lived longer than 90.

My Grandpa died in 18 and he was 99. My mom only died early because she smoked for her whole life and had a horrible cancer. She would be alive if she didn't. As for me, if I had no kids I wouldn't mind so much to live long but I do want to live a long life because my daughter is five and she means the world to me. I also want to have a second child. I'm 36 now.

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

Who knows.

42 now. I’ve been fighting cancer on and off since 21, I’ve been in remission since late thirties. Also battle Bipolar II. My mother has dementia and is disappearing before my eyes and my father’s clinging on. Apathy and nihilism has taken me over. I used to care until cancer kept coming back and back and back and pulling me back into treatment. No more, and if it returns, then it is what it is. I’ve put in more fight than could be expected of someone.

I’m 99% certain my life will end by my own hand, and more than likely before my fifties. My parents are the only reason I stick around because I just can’t do that to them. Maybe something will happen before they pass, but I doubt it.

Last edited:

womfalcs3

Banned
I'm guessing late 30s or early 40s. I had a stroke 5 years ago, and all the people who were my age and survived died within a decade.

Last edited:
If I don’t do something about my weight, I don’t see me making it past 45 and that’s being generous. I drink soda like water and eat fast food every day. I smoke a pack of cigarettes a day and I’m on medication for high blood pressure, OCD, anxiety, depression, etc. I was supposed to get on a cholesterol medication, but never did. Writing this made me realize just how bad I need to start exercising and making better life choices. Holy fuck.

V4skunk

Banned
We were together for 14 years. Got engaged about three years ago, but we were both casual about marriage.

Thanks. It’s an utter head fuck. She was a wonderful person too. I know everyone says that, but she really was. Anyway I don’t want to sidetrack the thread. I just can’t picture my life without her. Some old man in his 70s or 80s still grieving. It doesn’t appeal to me.
Don't be lonely dude.
Your fiance wants the best for you. She wants you to live your life.
You were loyal till the end and she loves you for that and wants you to move on.

Last edited:
If I don’t do something about my weight, I don’t see me making it past 45 and that’s being generous. I drink soda like water and eat fast food every day. I smoke a pack of cigarettes a day and I’m on medication for high blood pressure, OCD, anxiety, depression, etc. I was supposed to get on a cholesterol medication, but never did. Writing this made me realize just how bad I need to start exercising and making better life choices. Holy fuck.
Make sure you're not into the Pre diabetes... Living with untreated Diabetes is dangerous AF. I was borderline type 2 diabetes until I started to drastically change what I ate.

I told myself I will get 87.
Never been a smoker, never been fat, worked out a bit and did some sports.
People in my family tend to get old.

Dude, I feel so sorry for you and what happened to your girl.. :/ hope you can find happiness again..

GamingKaiju

I’m 36 but hopefully 60/70’s but that might be wishful thinking. I’ve got MS and I’m an ex smoker, only quit 5 months ago so hopefully I stopped earlier enough to avoid cancers or any other long term damage.

I excerise and have been eating healthier since I turned 30 never been a massive drinker and cut down on the fast food.

Last edited:

Bigrx1

Banned
I'm 41, my guess is sometime before 50 most likely. It's possible I make it to 50-60 but I doubt it and no way in hell I get past 60.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I'm 34. I think I'll die before 40.
And you want an XCX port? You should urge Monoloth to rush to get three all-new Xenoblade games done in the next six years, instead of wasting their time on porting stuf you already know!
Hopefully 27
Either you are terminally sick and hope to reach 27 or you are depressed and want to die early. I hope I missed a third, more happy alternative.

TaySan

Banned
And you want an XCX port? You should urge Monoloth to rush to get three all-new Xenoblade games done in the next six years, instead of wasting their time on porting stuf you already know!

Either you are terminally sick and hope to reach 27 or you are depressed and want to die early. I hope I missed a third, more happy alternative.
My life kinda sucks and i don't see it getting much better. :( Era and Gaf are what's keeping me going.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
My life kinda sucks and i don't see it getting much better. :( Era and Gaf are what's keeping me going.
So sorry to hear this, I hope life improves for you and you start to see light, also in the offline world, again.

Provided no early disease or accident befalls me...I could push on up to ~70 with modern medicine. I'm a big (tall) person, big people don't live that long. So I'd expect to die in the 2040's.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
What'up with thouse "death threads" recently. You all seems to be too concerned about natural process of living. Don't worry about it, when you going to die, your brain is programmed for it and you will feel great actually. Death does not hurts, if you don't die in some cruel circumstance, obviously...

Provided no early disease or accident befalls me...I could push on up to ~70 with modern medicine. I'm a big (tall) person, big people don't live that long. So I'd expect to die in the 2040's.
This is true, I am too above the ideal height for living, having 191cm, I see myslef going to like 75...

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'd be pretty happy if I can live until 75.

I didn't know being tall speeds up the dying process. I'm 2 meters tall (6,5). Maybe that will bring my demise sooner.

Don't plan on it ever happening to me. Too much to do still

XBM3II1.jpg

Top Bottom