• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At what age will you die

Well I'm 50 with PKD, so I'm living in the moment, lol. (like we all should) Thankfully I have the autosomal dominant variety which tends to progress slowly. Most in my family tree who have it have lived normally long lives. My great grandma was near 90 and my grandma was in her 80's.

But we're all treading into the unknown with every breath. Could be 50 years from now, could be while I'm typ

GeorgPrime

Banned
So, if you had to guess at what age will you die, what would it be?
Based on your current lifestyle.

I'll go first. I think I'll die at the age of 36. So I got 8 more years to live.
Why do I think I'll die at this age? Well I'm smoking 2 packs a day, I like to drink from time to time, I don't workout and I eat fat foods almost every day.
I've always been into hedonism and I've always said that it would be a mirracle if I live to be 30. So far so good.

How about you?

I stopped drinking some years ago. Now iam 35. School years were hard. I thought i would die with 50 xD

When I was sixteen I fiddled around with a homemade Ouija board with two of my close friends. I know, I know, fucking Ouija boards... Anyways, we communicated with something that called itself Zaxie and it told us of these elaborate backstories. My guess is that one of my friends had to be manipulating it but I peeked a few times and it never seemed like they were looking or controlling it.

Anyways, after learning about my supposed past as a dwarven chieftain I decided to ask it when I would die. It told me I would die at 38. I asked how and it said in a car accident.

As silly as it sounds, this stuck with me and during my 38th year driving was pretty tough. I looked at all the oncoming headlights and wondered if this would be the one that would take me. I survived the year and I am 42 now but the fear and anxiety of driving that year have stuck with me.

Now I don't have any idea when I will die. I've come to expect the unexpected if that makes sense. Maybe it will be today?

They think they know me
But they do not know me
'Cause I do not know me
Who killed my homie?
I wanna know names
Click-clack explain
I can kill you but ain't nothing gon' change
But I might do it anyway
You gonna die any way
I'm gonna die any way
We can go any day
It can be any day
But for you
Today is the day
Today is the day

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'm 43 and my kids are 6 and 8. So I am taking every effort I can to try and make it well into my 60's and beyond. I'm in better shape currently than most parents I see that are in their 30's so I think it is doable.

Ideally I would love to see my grandkids grow up.

All my kids are under 4, I wouldn't want to die before the youngest is in his 20's. A dads job is to protect and teach, I want to be here for them until they become adults at the very least.

drganon

Probably in my 60-70s. I dont drink or smoke, but I'd dont eat that healthy and dont really exercise either. That and supposedly men who are single tend to die earlier and at the rate I'm going I ain't getting hitched anytime soon. On the plus side, I wont have to worry about when social security retirement benefits run out since I'll also probably end up working till I'm dead as well.

I would be lying if I said I didn't think about death daily. It kind of depress's me. I tend to be a deep thinker. Life itself befuzzle's me. Like, WTF? Life can change at the blink of an eye at any time, any place, anywhere. It unsettles me.

I have a 2 year old daughter and will try my damned to live as long as I can for her and my wife. 76 years old keeps popping in my head. Can't believe there's decades stacked ontop of one another to go before retirement, even if it does happen? Life is an insane concept as it is. The pressure's, the responsibilities, the failure's and ultimately, death is overwhelming at times only when we aren't distracted by it.

Last edited:

keep-calm-i-am-already-dead.png

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm in pretty good shape now, but I used to eat lots of pizza and bad foods. Probably have some heart disease. Stressful job.

That's about it for risk factors, and I exercise regularly now and eat much better. My dad's genetics are impeccable, with multiple men living with unusually good health until 100 years old. My mom's genetics are kinda the opposite.

Last edited:
Unless we have an accident or die in a war my family all live until their 90's then drop dead feom a stoke, so I've got about 60 years left.

Could be worse.

Thaedolus

No idea, but having a child and seeing my little sister in law lose her dad to cancer as a teenager has definitely motivated me to take better care of myself.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Don't drink/smoke I eat a ton of greens, beans and nuts and seeds and fruits/berries lotta antioxidant rich food but I still eat a ton of lean red meat and egg yolks and saturated fat currently I'm burning a lot of energy now and I'm above 180. I'm pretty sure my heart is working hard. Im probably going to keep at this pace for awhile. Definitely will slow down and burn less fuel every now and then I'll go through more vegetarian episodes and cut weight later in life as I work less and to make life easier on my heart. probably going to aim for the 140s/150s as I become an old man which is decades away.

I didn't know being tall speeds up the dying process. I'm 2 meters tall (6,5). Maybe that will bring my demise sooner.

It's simply a case of the increased body mass and longer veins leading to much higher incidence of cardiovascular disease, since your heart has to work much harder than in a little person to feed your cells. Also the more specialized tissue you have, the more likely it is to become cancerous. Simple math. More cells more chance of something going wrong during division. Just being 2m tall means you're about as likely to perish to cancer or cardiovascular disease as a little chain smoker or a little obese person.

Last edited:

Quasicat

I had my doctor tell me that a big tell is to look at your parents and grandparents...apparently family history is the big piece on your longevity (unless cancer gets you first).
My grandparents have either died in their 80s or are still going into their 90s, and my parents are doing great in their 70s. I just turned 41 so I’m almost halfway there.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
When I will die? I don't know but I welcome it! Also you make the most morbid threads.

I'll go first. I think I'll die at the age of 36. So I got 8 more years to live.
Why do I think I'll die at this age? Well I'm smoking 2 packs a day, I like to drink from time to time, I don't workout and I eat fat foods almost every day.
I've always been into hedonism and I've always said that it would be a mirracle if I live to be 30. So far so good.

How about you?
Rich Evans is still alive and he is over 39 easy. So yeah!

Thurible

My Dad always said the men in his family died young and he passed at 69 years old. I'm not sure if there is something to that or not.

Gargus

Banned
I dont know but I hope it's when I am 80. I'll have lived a full life and still be able to take care of myself but that's about the time my quality of life will start to decline a lot. So I hope I die then at the point where I start to go downhill but it hasn't gotten bad yet.

But I'm ready to go whenever. I'm ready to be done with all this shit.

Last edited:

Well I should have died when I was 18. So I’m on borrowed time already so I’m gonna ride this out to at least my late 70s.

Well I got hit by a car when I was 14 and I thought I was going to die then. I'm now 47 and still going. Fingers crossed I have another 30 years in me before that bucket gets a good kicking

highrider

Banned

How about you?

That stuff won’t kill you, just make you really unhealthy early in life and probably carve about 10 or 15 years off a usual life span. If you’re shooting for 30 might want to dial up the drug use and violent street fights, maybe take up wing suits.

As for myself considering my lifestyle/genetic code/ vices I will probably live to between 85 and 95.

Last edited:

GAMETA

Banned
I want to live up to 65 and I think I can achieve it... If I'm at a good state by then and still healthy I'll be pleased to spend some more time, if I'm at a deplorable state I believe I'll seriously take the easy way out.

But I enjoy living and want to keep doing just that :)

I'm in my early thirties, I expect to live to see at least my 70's, but I wouldn't be surprised if I lived to be older than that. I'm taking my cardio exercise very seriously, and plan to continue doing so for the rest of my life. I drink alcohol, but I don't smoke, and I keep my diet simple, mostly meat and veggies.

Humdinger

lol at all the guys saying they'll be dead in their 30s or 40s. No you won't.

"Life's a long song/
But the tune ends too soon for us all."

And that lyric dates me, ha.

I'm 58. I used to think I'd die in my mid-60s, because of my history of drinking, stress, and eating poorly. That may still happen of course, but I've gotten a lot healthier in the past few years, so I'm more optimistic about it.

The calculators tell me that if I've made it to 58, chances are I'll make it to 81 before trading in my meat suit. That would be good.

Last edited:

nkarafo

I don't smoke, don't drink, i'm slim and exercise regularly.

I will die soon in my 40's fighting in a war against Turkey or something.

levyjl1988

Banned
I'm already dead inside with a dead-end job that I dislike and ambitions quickly fading. So much for my personal projects that will never see the light of day. There are too many jobs that make creative people unfulfilled. They are placed too low in the hierarchy rather than the top.

Meowzers

I'm 33 and about 22 I stabbed myself multiple times to die but I'm still here.

As of now I'm not sure. I really don't want to reach 40 though lol.

Shaqazooloo

I'm a slightly overweight black guy, I don't drink or smoke, I suppose I shouldn't be too optimistic but I hope to get to 60.

xrnzaaas

I was a passive smoker for many years so I'm not really optimistic. Gotta treat each day like it's your last.

So the perishing of Kobe Bryant made me think of this thread and how unfortunately relevant this truly is.

Sad beyond belief. Life is fragile and short. We are all on notice.

Top Bottom