• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier 20th Anniversary Presentation set for June 7, new title announcement teased

Parsnip

Hasn't Gust as a whole been on a bit of a slump?

No idea.
Sophie was my first Gust game and it gave me a good first impression.
Following that up with Firis soured that entirely.

Firis wasn't all bad though and some refinement to some of the ideas could potentially make the next game great, so I'm extremely curious.

Eolz

Love how in a thread about an announcement, turns into everything should be on the Switch thread, fantastic.

As said on the previous thread, you know that KT is going full speed ahead with the Switch, dropping the Vita, and that Gust is releasing their newest game in some months on this platform right?

The derail is those complaining in this case...

On topic: hope their other games will come on PC too.

gtj1092

Koei Tecmo had openly discussed the fact that they want to support Switch with their games and Gust's own Nights of Azure 2 is launching day and date with Vita and PS4.

Switch derailing can be annoying but it's not like it came out of nowhere for this.

There is talk of companies that have nothing to do with this game or developer needing to be on switch in this thread.

StereoVsn

I have 0 excitement for Atelier titles anymore. It seems they lost their touch and PC ports have been abysmal to boot.

I really hope they get their shit together and deliver a fresh take on the series. They also need to stop the annual release shit as it doesn't give their teams enough times and results have been more and more underwhelming.

I'm backlogged on Atelier, but maybe Firis was like Atelier Iris 3. I remember Atelier Iris 3 trying some different things from Iris 1 and 2 that felt flat and not quite there ... but then they got those things right with Mana Khemia 1 and 2.

I'd add that the jump from Shallie to Sophie felt the same way to me. Shallie was an attempt at removing time management that didn't fully work for me, and then they rethought how that should work in Sophie and came up with something I was quite pleased with. Rorona to Totori arguably fits as well. So I don't think Atelier's decline is inevitable, Gust have shown in the past that they can tinker with the formula to make something better.

As an aside, I'm surprised by how many people seem down on Sophie, I thought it was pretty well received generally? But I'm also the person who doesn't like Shallie, which also seemed to split opinions between "sucks I hate it" and "best Atelier ever" so maybe I'm not the best judge.

As an aside, I'm surprised by how many people seem down on Sophie, I thought it was pretty well received generally? But I'm also the person who doesn't like Shallie, which also seemed to split opinions between "sucks I hate it" and "best Atelier ever" so maybe I'm not the best judge.

I'm kinda middling on Shallie. I enjoyed it, but I'd rate it below Totori and Meruru and probably Ayesha too (though I need to replay the latter).

Sophie was just... I dunno. It felt like a return to the whimsical design of the Arland series except it lacked the charm that made that trilogy so great. It wasn't bad, and again I do need to replay it, but I just remember being a bit disappointed with it.

I'm kinda middling on Shallie. I enjoyed it, but I'd rate it below Totori and Meruru and probably Ayesha too (though I need to replay the latter).

Sophie was just... I dunno. It felt like a return to the whimsical design of the Arland series except it lacked the charm that made that trilogy so great. It wasn't bad, and again I do need to replay it, but I just remember being a bit disappointed with it.

Oh, for sure, it's definitely not my favourite. The Mysterious trilogy in general suffers from all the characters just being "nice," especially the protagonists. And it really feels like either the localization or the writing (or both!) have taken a hit in recent years.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
From has a good chance. The real question is if it will be a core game or some random thing like the Felyne game that gets ignored, and I'm not optimistic for core output.

Falcom... well, it seems they're giving up on the Vita so it depends on how much they want to keep a handheld presence.

If from is working on lost kingdoms 3 for switch, I might resign to dying happily

Any summaries / thoughts / live blogs for those of us who don't speak Japanese ? Though I could listen to the music forever and be happy.

(In before They are remaking Salburg again and it's still never coming West).

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Any summaries / thoughts / live blogs for those of us who don't speak Japanese. Though I could listen to the music forever and be happy.

(In before They are remaking Salburg again and it's still never coming West).

They just introduced the new project as "Atelier Lydie & Sooru (sp?)"

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So I just found out from the comments that the character designer for these games worked on the latest fire emblem

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
He did the Dusk series.
I made a barrel joke in the Shadows of Valentia thread.

hidari went from Atelier Ayesha, Escha & Logy, and Shallie to designing for Toukiden, Toukiden Kiwami, and Toukiden 2, and now Fire Emblem Echoes. :3

Ventara

Atelier online looked good. Hope it comes west. And I'm glad they announced the 3rd Mysterious game first. Would have been pissed otherwise, lol.

They brought the illustrators on stage, but didn't bother to reveal any art lol.

Yeah, that was weird, lol.

Strings

Thank fuck Online is just a phone thing. Pheeeew.

Curious what their 'different' direction for the Mysterious Painting is. More Escha and Logy style Atelier pls :p

EDIT: Having Liane and not Firis in the Mysterious MC slide is just weird.

EDIT 2: There we go :p

Nah, it's more than that. Looked pretty good. You can scroll back in the youtube livestream to check it out.

I hope so! Fire Emblem Heroes has been okay but I worry it may have done more harm to my appreciation for the series than good.

Just saw in the YouTube stream comments as a guess for the silhouettes: "loli Sophie?" I will be so cross if that comes to pass.

Falk

that puzzling face
Is Atelier Online just a gachafest, then? I tuned in late so only saw a snippet of some top-down gameplay, I think?

Nah, it's more than that. Looked pretty good. You can scroll back in the youtube livestream to check it out.

I hope so! Fire Emblem Heroes has been okay but I worry it may have done more harm to my appreciation for the series than good.

yeah, a small company like GUST, against all sane expectations, is going to magically go against the grain and release something not in a framework/business model that japan's mobile game consumers are most familiar with

and just pray it does well

is this the power of alchemy?!

edit: Siphoning Atelier Online discussion off to its own thread for visibility: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1386945

killatopak

I wish there was a return to sprite based graphics. Maybe they could do something similar to Dragon Quest XI. I really loved the PS2 Ateliers.

So what did they actually announce?

Atelier Online, the third Atelier Mysterious game whose title I already forget (but showed basically nothing besides silhouettes for the two protagonists), random merch and gear for other games (hurray, Blue Reflection costumes, everyone totally asked for this).

Well, I'm still interested in seeing where they go with the new Atelier, even if my excitement for the series has dropped off a lot since the Dusk days.

Top Bottom