• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus JP's Top Shin Megami Tensei tracks (voted by fans)

cj_iwakura

This was done by a poll a few weeks back to tie into marketing for Deep Strange Journey and for SMT's 25th anniversary.

http://shin-megamitensei.jp/mvote/

Only games under the SMT banner were included. So no Persona, Digital Devil Saga, or Devil Summoner(even though the first was an SMT game...). Imagine, sadly, was not eligible for some reason. Neither were Megami Tensei 1 and 2, sorry Namcot vets.

Here's the results.

Hail to the king, baby.
14OF1yd.jpg

For sheer quanity though, we have a different winner.
y61OgYA.jpg

Not surprising, since it's a HUGE 4 disc OST.

Here's the full list:
https://www.atlus.co.jp/news/4144/
(JP only)

Or the playlist if you have three and a half hours to kill..

I won't list the entire thing, but here's the top 50.

• 1. Normal Battle (Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne)
    2. Title Loop 2 (Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne)
    3. Ginza (Shin Megami Tensei)
    4. Dante Battle (Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne)
    5. Amala Labyrinth Battle (Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne)

6. Cathedral of Shadows (Shin Megami Tensei)
    7. Normal Battle (Shin Megami Tensei)
    8. Normal Battle (Shin Megami Tensei II)
    9. The Fear of God [Normal Battle] (Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey)
    10. Ruins (Shin Megami Tensei)

11. 3D: Makai (Shin Megami Tensei II)
    12. Title (Shin Megami Tensei II)
    13. Fiend Battle (Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne)
    14. Reason Boss Battle (Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne)
    15. The Cathedral (Shin Megami Tensei)

16. Kichijoji Field [World Map] (Shin Megami Tensei)
    17. Arcade Street (Shin Megami Tensei)
    18. Cathedral of Shadows (Shin Megami Tensei II)
    19. End Credits / Main Theme (Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne)
    20. Boss Battle [B2] (Shin Megami Tensei: IV)

21. Boss Battle (Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne)
    22. Law (Shin Megami Tensei)
    23. Normal Battle ~Town~ (Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne)
    24. (Tie)
    Tokyo World Map (Shin Megami Tensei IV)
    Polytheist Alliance Battle (Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse)

26. Boss Battle (Shin Megami Tensei)
    27. The Conception (Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne)
    28. Title Loop 1 (Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne)
    29. World Map ~Last Area~ (Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne)

30. Cathedral of Shadows [Full Kagutsuchi] (Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne)
    31. The Wrath of God [Boss Battle] (Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey)
    32. Amala Labyrinth Battle (Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne)
    33. Palace of the Four Heavenly Kings (Shin Megami Tensei)
    34. (Tie)
    Battle B4 (Shin Megami Tensei IV)
    Battle A2 (Shin Megami Tensei IV)

36. (Tie)
    Boss Battle (Shin Megami Tensei II)
    2D: Makai (Shin Megami Tensei II)
    Forced Battle (Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne)
    Beelzebub Battle (Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne)

40. Battle C5 [Archangel Battle] (Shin Megami Tensei IV)

41. (Tie)
    Battle F6 (Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse)
    The Land of the Way [Eridanus] (Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey)

43. (Tie)
    The Final Battle (Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne)
    Dante's Arrival (Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne)
    45. Main Theme (Shin Megami Tensei IV)

46. Battle F2 (Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse)

47. (Tie)
    The Land of Fire (Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey)
    止揚 [?] (Shin Megami Tensei)
    Tokyo Map (Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse)
    50. Metatron Battle (Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne)

It's a very good selection.

By the numbers, in case you're curious...

SMT IV: 112 (!!)
SMT Nocturne: 70
SMT: 42
SMT II:38
SMT IVA: 37
SMT SJ: 31
SMT NINE: 31
Imagine: =(

Kalor

I'm surprised IV didn't place higher. It's probably one of my favourite SMT soundtracks. Though it makes up for its lack of high placement in sheer quantity.

Aeana

I don't understand how 2D: Siren from SMT2 isn't on here.
Still gives me goosebumps.

EDIT: Oh, it got 89th place. :(

Smart move limiting it to SMT. Persona would have cleaned house

It wasn't a "smart move" as much as it was... obvious? I mean if someone does a best FF music poll, they don't include Dragon Quest music either.

cj_iwakura

It wasn't a "smart move" as much as it was... obvious? I mean if someone does a best FF music poll, they don't include Dragon Quest music either.

I am curious how a Persona poll would go, though we all know 3/4/5 would clean house.
(Though to be fair, SMT and Persona share a lot of the same sound team, especially pre-3.)

A Devil Summoner one would be even funnier.

guyssorry

This is actually a pretty great list. Great job, fans.

Such a great series of games. Cannot wait for the SMT on Switch.

cj_iwakura

Sprinkled some links around the top 50, since the Atlus playlist only plays excerpts.

Strange Journey's Law Theme is iconic. It should be the Law Theme for the entire series. It captures the holy haughtiness perfectly.

Same for the Chaos theme, it nails Lucifer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJxuhb4swY8

Not to hate on Kozuka's work in IV, though. He did amazing atmospheric tracks.
(But his Lucifer battle theme kind of sucked, tbh.)

Not surprised with Nocturne domination. The only thing of worth on Strange Journey's soundtrack is like, 10 seconds of the normal battle theme, so it kind of over-performed here.

cj_iwakura

Not surprised with Nocturne domination. The only thing of worth on Strange Journey's soundtrack is like, 10 seconds of the normal battle theme, so it kind of over-performed here.

Gonna have to disagree there. The dungeon themes range from insanely creepy to hauntingly beautiful. Not a huge fan of the battle themes, but I love everything else.

Resonance

Blobbers

Nocturne's OST is as they say "chest magnifique", but there should be way more SMT IV/A songs in the top 50. Merkabah, Lucifer's palace, Masakado, Beginning of the End, YHVH, Polytheistic Alliance, Aboveground Urban Area A, Camp Ichigaya, Challenge quests A and B, Ikebukuro, Infernal Tokyo Underground District, Tsukiji Hongwanji etc. Bring in a few more.
Nocturne is my absolute favorite game from its gen, but soundtrack-wise I prefer SMT IV/A just a bit more.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, good call. Lucifer's Palace was an AMAZING track in IV. I don't think it's in the list at all!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFuWf_copM8

How did MegTen fans come up with such a poor list

Elaborate? I'm pretty happy with it. Legit classics like Ginza and Palace of the Four Heavenly Kings got up there, and a lot of solid love for IV and Apocalypse too.

But since I didn't support Imagine, here's my favorite tracks.
(Yes, most of them are mixes of SMT1/2/etc. music but who cares.)

1. Nakano
2. Shinjuku Babel (this is a remix of Kitayama University from Devil Summoner 1)
3. Home 3
4. Protopia
5. Shibuya Quartz

Gonna have to disagree there. The dungeon themes range from insanely creepy to hauntingly beautiful. Not a huge fan of the battle themes, but I love everything else.

The game has 30 tracks or something and makes it seem like there are 10, because they all sound the fucking same. It's low on quantity and quality.

zoku88

I'm surprised that Tokyo SMT4 beat out Tokyo SMT4:A. Kind of find the former a bit boring compared to the latter.

Shin Megami Tensei's ending theme got robbed.

The list is really good in general if you look at it holistically and don't get too hung up on the rankings. Really highlights how strong the series OST typically is, though I admittedly would liked to have seen it opened up to some of the other mainline-ish entries (MT1 and 2 in particular).

Zyrox

I went through that list a few days ago, wondering where my favorite SMT track (Nocturne battle theme) landed. Got a little worried when I got to the top 10 and it still hadn't shown up. Then I got to #2 and was like "well I guess it didn't make the cut." Was ready to scoff at the voters tastes only to hear it as the number 1 pick. You did good, voters, you did good. Nocturne's battle theme is FIRE.

cj_iwakura

I went through that list a few days ago, wondering where my favorite SMT track (Nocturne battle theme) landed. Got a little worried when I got to the top 10 and it still hadn't shown up. Then I got to #2 and was like "well I guess it didn't make the cut." Was ready to scoff at the voters tastes only to hear it as the number 1 pick. You did good, voters, you did good. Nocturne's battle theme is FIRE.
It gives anyone who's fought DDS's post-game boss PTSD.

randomkid

Muhfuggin' Camp MUHFUGGIN' Ichigaya was too low, and I'm surprised the softer, heart-rending tracks from III weren't higher, either.

But I ain't complainin'. It's Megaten! There ain't no wrong answers.

Jewelry Rag is so extremely Revelations: Persona it's almost ridiculous.

Does anyone know if this little phrase in Lucifer's Palace SMT4 was deliberately meant to echo this corresponding bit from Amami Monolith in Soul Hackers or if it's just a coincidence? They sound so similar but it seems like such a random reference.

This thread is such a good tonic for all the Devil Survivor music I've been stuck with listening through at the moment.

Thoraxes

Not even surprised that SMT IV makes up the bulk of the quantity. OST is massive and the quality throughout is quite good.

Surprised Conception from Nocturne is so low, thought having Title Loop 2 makes up for that I suppose. It was by and far my favorite Nocturne track.

Top Bottom