• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 2 |OT| NO MANGA TALK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorillaz

So this isn't really back "back" right? Are they just going to do another hiatus again? I'm wondering if people still care about it as much right now.

So this isn't really back "back" right? Are they just going to do another hiatus again? I'm wondering if people still care about it as much right now.

The manga isn't finished so at some point they NEED to do another hiatus. It could be between season 2 and 3, or between season 3 and 4.

kirblar

With them only doing 12 eps it looks likely that this is going to be a once-a-year thing going forward.

Jigolo

That was cool. And I really like what they are doing with the anime. Still calling it Episode 26 even after 3-4 years. I hope they keep doing it like this even if the next season isn't until 2020 or whatever.

Kaizer

Banned
So what chapter does this episode roughly cover? I wanna go back & read it again.

EDIT: Nvm, it's Chapter 35 for anyone interested.

Tall4Life

Finished Episode 26, kind of bored to be honest. Animation quality was pretty poor and not a whole lot of excitement. The titan being able to talk was cool I guess.

T.O.P

Banned
Holy fuck what an episode, last 5 minutes were tense as hell

Can't wait to see where this season ends up

Dysun

Finished Episode 26, kind of bored to be honest. Animation quality was pretty poor and not a whole lot of excitement. The titan being able to talk was cool I guess.

Animation was insanely well done for a TV show, not sure what was expected

I don't think we watched the same thing. Attack on Titan has some of the best animation I've seen in anime.

Side note, pretty much nailed what they were going to cover in this episode.

As a reader of the manga i can safely say everyone will love the beast titan
Does everyone agree wth me so far?
The character doesn't disappoint even later on

EDIT: how could I forget THAT MUSIC! Dear goodness, stirred the very essence of my soul

Tall4Life

The animation is great stylistically, but the actual animation was kinda bad, I remember it being better in the first season, either way it looked off to me somehow

oh well i could just be misremembering how i thought it was

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I don't think we watched the same thing. Attack on Titan has some of the best animation I've seen in anime.

For about a minute every ten episodes or so.
*flashback to all the still images with sound effects cus they didn't have the time to animate them*

Hypron

Sometimes I'm glad I'm not quite an anime enthusiast. I don't notice how 'bad' the animations were.

An anime enthusiast will have seen dozens of shows with worse animation than Attack on Titan. The only bad things about this episode were the CGI shots (which were really unnecessary).

The OP is kinda slow at the start, and too similar to the first OP. However it catches up starting with "Jean dodging the flying rock and Mikasa Flinging Eren" parts, even with "weird dinosaurs + flying whales with glowing hearts" imagery. The ending is pretty eerie too, storyboard done by Isayama Hajime (Manga Author).

As an anime-only watcher (I only catch up the manga after I finish the episode)
Episode-wise: I'm kind of sad that a large chunk of the material is either: in the Movie 2 epilogue or in the trailers (which I now regret watching so many times).
That shocking ending is.... traumatizing... To sum it in a message: "you start losing when you stop fighting" ideal might be true, but sometimes it's necessary to stop fighting (and hide) to keep yourself alive for another fight. Maybe if he didn't scream the beast titan wouldn't have "unfrozen" the other titans. I kinda like Mike as a character, but I guess that's why he's so tiny in the season 2 promo poster.

Also too many instances of (kinda bad, on par with season 1) CG and still frames both in the OP and horseback riding. I wish they could cut it down a little.

Kolx

Great episode. Some of the CG shots were BAD, but that ending made up for it. We already knew titans could talk from the ova I think but it was still scary af.

J4g3r

I wasn't really feeling the hype for season 2, the OP changed that though.

Pretty great opening to the season, that ending was BRUTAL.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
At the theater waiting for Ghost in the Shell start and they just showed a trailer for season 2. First time seeing a commercial for an anime.

kewlmyc

Confused as to where this show is going to end. It's either going to be rushed to fit in two arcs, or it's going to drag out just one.

Dali

That intro music wasn't godlike like either of the other two intros but I guess you can't expect that level of epicness everytime.

LogicStep

That first episode was a bit weird. I'm going to guess they won't be going 1:1 on chapters to episodes or same order? I don't remember the manga where the anime is at now it's been so long.

Kaizer

Banned
That first episode was a bit weird. I'm going to guess they won't be going 1:1 on chapters to episodes or same order? I don't remember the manga where the anime is at now it's been so long.

This episode picks up roughly at Chapter 34/35 of the manga.

That was an outstanding premiere. I hadn't watched AoT in over 3 years, yet jumped right on in to season 2 and quickly felt at home again. Doesn't skip a beat. Went from "Yay, SnK is back" to now needing to see either the next episode or Jesus.

I really liked the episode, but I feel like I am missing some plot points here. Something just felt off. The Titan in the wall and the talking Titan were just introduced pretty casually as if you were expected to know about them previously.

It seems like they jumped the gun with that OP since there were some small hints for the latter arcs.

Episode was good and I had to agree with my sister, the animation looks clean as hell. By the way things are moving and based on that preview. The pacing on this season will be much better specially since it only has 12 episodes.

Giolon

I really liked the episode, but I feel like I am missing some plot points here. Something just felt off.
The Titan in the wall and the talking Titan
were just introduced pretty casually as if you were expected to know about them previously.

The Titan in the wall
was shown as a stinger at the end of S1, from the damage that was caused in the battle with the Female Titan. The other thing was introduced exactly the same as every other special Titan. IDK why you think this one should had some sort of extra explanation the moment it shows up. No one has ever seen it before.

ScribbleD

It seems like they jumped the gun with that OP since there were some small hints for the latter arcs.

Episode was good and I had to agree with my sister, the animation looks clean as hell. By the way things are moving and based on that preview. The pacing on this season will be much better specially since it only has 12 episodes.

That's what OPs do, though. They typically foreshadow what's to come. The ED is much less subtle about what's to come.

BizzyBum

Is this generating a lot of hype? I feel like it's not generating a lot of hype.

I thought AoT S2 was going to be like this huge occasion and one of the most anticipated anime season returns ever but it kinda just came and it's like "oh, it's back, cool episode I guess."

I definitely think the 4 year hiatus hurt the popularity. I know this has to follow the manga too but the S2 premiere fell a little flat for me. It felt more like an episode that should have been in the middle of a season, not the big premier.

Kolx

Confused as to where this show is going to end. It's either going to be rushed to fit in two arcs, or it's going to drag out just one.

Dragging one arc is bad but rushing 2 arcs is worse.

I really liked the episode, but I feel like I am missing some plot points here. Something just felt off. The Titan in the wall and the talking Titan were just introduced pretty casually as if you were expected to know about them previously.

Titan on the wall was at the end of S1. The talking titans was on one of the ova they released.

You gotta give it to WIT, they sure threw a curveball to their audience. My friends (who only watch the anime) can't stop asking me about the dinosaur and animals since I'm the only one ahead on the story with the manga -_-

Then again, this my shot to mess with them even further XD
Titan Dinosaurs!
UMa8kkL.jpg

Dreavus

Really cool stuff for the first episode of the new season.

As an anime-only AoT duder, more chilling than the Beast titan speaking is the fact that the regular titans understand the humans' language. It was unclear (at least to me) if that abnormal from the OVA even really knew what it was saying and didn't really listen to her pleading, but here they respond to commands in common tongue. Yet they clearly don't give a fuck about the screaming for their lives as they eat dozens of people throughout the show. That's messed up!

Also it appears the Beast some kind of foreigner since he's never seen their gear before.

Goddamn, I am right back in it with this show. Give me the next episode! *grasps feebly at the air*

phoony17

Also it appears the Beast some kind of foreigner since he's never seen their gear before.

Yeah was quite surprised by that. Thought the beast Titan must just go for animals when Mikke mentioned that it wasn't gunning for him but grabbed the horse.

Speaking and not knowing what weapons they use equally as surprising. So many questions now.

How can the beast titan talk and understand humans but not know what they use to sling around? How can they control normal Titans? What's the Titan in the wall about and what does the church know?

Hopefully get some answers in this season because it'll be a frustrating wait again.

Man, The way those Titans run always gets me! Arms flailing and their faces, haha!

Toki767

Thought the first episode was pretty good.

I completely forgot about that titan being inside the wall to end Season 1 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom