• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiophile-gaf: help me choose a home theater system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, first off let me say I am not interested in:

buying a bunch of pieces separately and putting them together. I want to get box, unpack a box, set it up, and have a basic home theater setup.

What I have currently:

A relatively large space (20x20) with hard wood floors. A built in cabinet which is holding my 42" LCD TV. I don't really have a "space" for a receiver/subwoofer/etc.. but I don't mind having an eyesore if it gives me good sound quality.

An old Sony system.. my wife swears it's awesome and I guess it gives off pretty good sound, but it doesn't have HDMI output (digital was the best it had), the center speaker doesn't work, and the annoying long wires made it prohibitive to set up the "surround" feature (so the two rear speakers aren't even hooked up). It is probably 6 years old and has a separate receiver and dvd/cd player.

What I need:

A set up that gives me surround sound with a subwoofer. Ideally I'd like a dvd/bluray drive to accompany it but that isn't necessary.

What I want:

A good sounding system that will make movies/music/gaming more exciting.

What I have done:

A minimal amount of research that has really gotten me nowhere. I can read reviews until I'm blue in the face but the fact remains that unless you are knowledgeable at these things, it is difficult to look at specs and be like OH THAT'S WHAT I NEED!

What I want to spend:

$300 max. Like I said, I am looking for a basic system, not something that is going to blow me away or make my neighbors want to kill me.

Halp?

Here's a pic of the built-in if it helps.

53mq79.jpg

*****UPDATE*****

Here's what I ended up getting...

Bose Cinemate Series II

302vwis.jpg

Obviously, I went a bit above my $300 budget. When I actually got to the store and started listening to the $250-$300 setups my wife and I were horribly disappointed. The audio sounded tinny and scratchy on even major brand names like Sony.

I got this for $599 and while it wasn't on sale or anything we are really pleased with it. I was able to set this up in 10 minutes which is amazing IMO. Plus, no wiring to the back of the room and it fills our needs perfectly with amazingly improved sound that fills the whole room.

We love it.

giga

DigitalDevil said:
Okay, first off let me say I am not interested in:

buying a bunch of pieces separately and putting them together. I want to get box, unpack a box, set it up, and have a basic home theater setup.
Other than having separate boxes and getting a better value for your money, there’s really no difference. Elaborate?

Sounds like you'd be best served by a soundbar or something similar as you only really want the speakers in the front.

Maybe something like this
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UTIB7A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

or this
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0023APPCI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

or this
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0037QF9UA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You should be able to look at best buy, target, walmart, etc and try it out. There are numerous HTIB systems that would also work and would probably sound better, but these look like more of what you are interested in

$300 is not really going to get you anything worthwhile. You're just throwing your money away at that point.

Unfortunately you'll most likely only be able to get some shitty HTIB's from big box stores from the in-house brands like Dynex, Insignia, or whatever B&M stores offer. Actually $300 is really pushing it for a full HTIB, not close to even the bigger brands like Onkyo, Sony, Samsung, etc...

giga said:
Other than having separate boxes and getting a better value for your money, there’s really no difference. Elaborate?

well it's really just a convenience issue. I'm not really adept at hooking up audio equipment and certainly not knowledgeable on this stuff, so I feel it would be easier for me to just buy a "in a box" setup with a clear instruction manual and one customer service line instead of seven if I have an issue with the equipment.

Giant Robot said:
$300 is not really going to get you anything. You're just throwing your money away at that point.

Unfortunately you'll most likely only be able to get some shitty HTIB's from big box stores from the in-house brands like Dynex, Insignia, or whatever B&M stores offer. Actually $300 is really pushing it for a full HTIB, not close to even the bigger brands like Onkyo, Sony, Samsung, etc...

see, that's not really true as far as I can tell.

Take this system for example. I mean, I've even heard of Polk Audio, and this system is on sale at $279 right now. I don't know if this is a good set up, but I ASSUME it is. This is kind of why I asked for help.

I don't have audiophile needs. It doesn't have to be the best or even close to the best. I just want something that will sound good.

sharkmuncher said:
Sounds like you'd be best served by a soundbar or something similar as you only really want the speakers in the front.

Maybe something like this
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UTIB7A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

or this
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0023APPCI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

or this
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0037QF9UA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You should be able to look at best buy, target, walmart, etc and try it out. There are numerous HTIB systems that would also work and would probably sound better, but these look like more of what you are interested in

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to visit BrandSmart in the next couple of days and see what they have to offer, but you're right on the money with the sound bar idea. That would definitely meet the "no clutter" requirement.

it'll definately sound "louder" than your tv speakers and some surround sound....if thats all you're looking for.

try it, if you don't like then return it. Still a waste of money imo.

Jonm1010

Banned
DigitalDevil said:

Take this system for example. I mean, I've even heard of Polk Audio, and this system is on sale at $279 right now. I don't know if this is a good set up, but I ASSUME it is. This is kind of why I asked for help.

I don't have audiophile needs. It doesn't have to be the best or even close to the best. I just want something that will sound good.

It does seem like a good system, but you will need to purchase a receiver for that to work Unless your current one is good enough.

ShutEye

I had purchased a Yamaha HTIB back at Christmas 2009. Nothing fancy.
The sound is a bit 'tin'-y but it has enough kick that I've gotten noise complaints.

Total cost $400.

I looked at a lot of stuff between $300-500. And it was ultimately a toss up between the Yamaha (6320 or something like that) & a couple Onkyo's (3200/5200)

Ultimately I decided on the Yamaha because it had HDMI (the 3200 didn't) and I couldn't tell the difference between it & the Onkyo.

There was a cheaper Yamaha that had really small speakers as well but I prefer bookshelfs.

Again, I accepted that I was getting an entry level HTIB.

The other option is a surround sound DVD/Bluray player. The models I looked at didn't have aux digital inputs so that limited it.

Good luck.

DigitalDevil said:

You do realize that Polk setup that you listed is not a complete all in one box solution right? That's speakers only and you're missing the receiver element out of it. So like the other people have said, $300 is really pushing it to the point where you would get about as basic and entry as you can get meaning you'd get bottom of the barrel. If that's what you want, fine, but don't ask for something that's decent when you'd be getting the worst thing possible.

Legendbyname

Neo Member
Every now and then shopOnkyo.com (Direct from factory refurbs), has some excellent deals on refurbished Onkyo gear. My roommate got the 5200s for $170ish shipped. Included a receiver, subwoofer, and 5 speakers. I've also bought a refurbished receiver from there and its always been in brand new condition.

For an HTiB it's actually pretty decent and it came with all the wires, plus a remote.

SUPREME1

Banned
Superblatt said:
don't throw away your money on a HTB....save for something that's going to last you over a decade. Example:

353624.jpg

HOLY MOLY!!!!

That's my receiver, lol.

VSX-91 TXH, right?

I can't make out the model number in the upper right corner, but I'm sure it is.

MCX

Banned
Superblatt said:
don't throw away your money on a HTB....save for something that's going to last you over a decade. Example:

353624.jpg
How much does a receiver like that cost? It's the Elite edition, gotta be expensive.

Burger

I love how people can say Home Theatre and $300 in the same sentence. Several years ago Home Theatre used to actually mean what it said... a theatre like experience in the home.

Now, largely thanks to retailers and manufacturers, the definition of "Home Theatre" has been diluted down to something you can buy at Walmart in a small cardboard box.

*edit* removed unnecessary rant.

MCX said:
How much does a receiver like that cost? It's the Elite edition, gotta be expensive.

Elites aren't as expensive as you might think, especially on the lower end side. I think they can be as cheap as $600 if I recall correctly. I know my SC-07 was as low as $1000 at one point and that was the highest end without looking at the $7k receiver.

Blackface

Banned
If you are going to spend $300 and don't want to save for some high quality speakers.

I would suggest taking a look at Monoprices in-wall speakers. They are inexpensive, and perform at the same quality as $300-400 in-wall speakers.

It won't sound as good as standalone speakers of course, but it will blow away any HTIB you will buy for under a grand. They really are great for their price, performance and the fact they are in-walls.

That being said, you will need to buy a sub separate and an inexpensive reviver.

separates is the only way to go. i spent 750-800 to get a polk center, 2 polk 60 fronts and 2 polk 30 backs and 12" sub plus a lower level pioneer receiver, it will probably be the first to get switched out. too bad i have no room, to use the rears atm, until i move out.

SUPREME1

Banned
MCX said:

This model, the VSX-91 TXH, originally sold for $1,200.

It can be had for $418 on Amazon right now.

However, in all honestly, it's a few years old now and you could probably do better by rocking a Pioneer 1019 or 1020 for around teh same money.

Yeah, they aren't from the Elite line, but they pack more bang for the buck as far as features.

Can't go wrong with them.

SUPREME1

Banned
Krauser Kat said:
separates is the only way to go. i spent 750-800 to get a polk center, 2 polk 60 fronts and 2 polk 30 backs and 12" sub plus a lower level pioneer receiver, it will probably be the first to get switched out. too bad i have no room, to use the rears atm, until i move out.

Nice. I too rock Polks all around.

My 7.1 set up:

Front Left and Right: RTi8

Center: CS10

Surround Left and Right: OWM3

Surround Backs Left and Right: Atrium 45

Sub: SW10

Pioneer Elite VSX-91 TXH

I've got a quick unrelated question:

I'm looking for a receiver that has several HDMI inputs, but more importantly I'd like one that has 2 outputs. I have not been able to find a moderately priced one (sub $1000) but admittedly haven't looked too hard.

Anyone have a recommendation for a receiver or other option (splitter, etc.)?

Sorry for derail, didn't think it deserved its own thread.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
DigitalDevil said:
A decent setup is still going to be around $1000, and that's not even close to "audiophile needs." A good receiver alone is going to eat up $300-500 by itself. At the very least you'll want left/center/right speakers and a subwoofer (placement of the sub doesn't really matter, you can hide it away in a corner if you want to and still get good sound).

You can skimp on these, sure, but if you get good quality speakers they can easily last 10-20+ years. And a good receiver will easily last at least 5-10+ (barring any crazy new input standards, but I don't think we'll see anything newer beyond HDMI become standard soon). And if you go with separates, you can easily update in the future with surround speakers if you move or change the room layout.

There's really no reason to skimp on audio components - think of them as a more long-term investment and you'll save in the long run.

Krauser Kat said:

technically thats not going separates when you still have an amp section in the receiver. One of the first steps to go separates is a pre-amp/processor + amp combo. At the moment to even get started out on this with current tech is going to cost you over $2,000 new. Or you can buy a separate amp and use the pre-out sections of your receiver. Even then, going separates is out of reach of a lot of people, space constraints, and set-up. I would totally recommend it if you can afford it.

zackattack said:

I'm looking for a receiver that has several HDMI inputs, but more importantly I'd like one that has 2 outputs. I have not been able to find a moderately priced one (sub $1000) but admittedly haven't looked too hard.

i think one of the higher end Onkyo/Integra receivers has 2 HDMI outputs. I forget which model, but you should start there.

zackattack said:

Is there a price point you're looking to spend? You can probably get a previous generation of a higher end receiver that has that functionality but it'll depend on the price point. Typically from what I've seen in the past, getting the secondary HDMI output is a premium feature that is only found on higher end receivers. It's one of the reasons I got the Pioneer Elite SC-07 over the SC-05 and they were only a couple hundred in price difference, but the SC-07 was also their top of the line sub 3k receiver.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I had 1 set of HTB of Onkyo and I've been pretty satisfied, I did see the original receiver for a newer model though.

Seriously, save some more money ,$300 isn't going to get you anything thats going to last for some time.

Burger

zackattack said:

http://reviews.cnet.com/audio-system-components/onkyo-tx-nr1007/4505-6462_7-33769422.html

Not sub $1000, but around that mark.

jesus, I didn't know what I was getting myself into :lol

If I can't even get a halfway decent speaker setup for $300 than why are there cheapo sets all over the internet for $99?

IT'S A MYSTERY

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
You want advice from audiophiles and then state your budget is $300 max?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

But seriously, a nice set of speakers will last you a lifetime. Everything else will either die or become obsolete.

*hugs B&W CDM7s*

Burger

chuckddd said:
You want advice from audiophiles and then state your budget is $300 max?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

But seriously, a nice set of speakers will last you a lifetime. Everything else will either die or become obsolete.

*hugs B&W CDM7s*

This. *hugs B&W DM308's*

LCfiner

DigitalDevil said:

If I can't even get a halfway decent speaker setup for $300 than why are there cheapo sets all over the internet for $99?

IT'S A MYSTERY
Simple. They're shit.

Look, there's nothing wrong with having a budget but it was kinda funny to call out to audiophiles and have a 300 dollar budget for a full home theatre setup.

If possible, you'd probably do yourself a real service by upping the budget to around a thousand. You won't get MIND BLOWING Audio but youll get something that you can be happy with and won't sound like complete shit.

DigitalDevil said:

IT'S A MYSTERY

You're talking about mediocre two speaker setup. You said you wanted surround sound. There's a big dramatic difference there.

$300 won't buy you shit. $500 to $600 is probably the real entry point level.

It's like asking to buy a car for $100 that outruns a Porche. It just realistically can't be done.

The reality is that most people might buy a set of speakers once a decade if they do research, play their cards right, and invest in good products. You might upgrade a receiver once or twice in that span if new connect technologies like HDMI emerge, and you'll certainly upgrade your source components (game consoles, Blu-ray player, etc.), but if you buy a good set of speakers, they are an investment that will last you at least a decade of your life. Think hard about that a moment before throwing money away on a $300 pile of junk that will work a few years, sound like shit, and then break. :lol

There are Internet Direct (ID) speaker companies out there which will sell you a very nice set of speakers for much lower prices than you could get in retail stores or independent dealerships.

Here's a nice set of Aperions. That's triple your $300 "budget", but those are a very nice set of speakers which will sound great, match the performance of speakers you buy from a dealer which cost twice as much, and easily outlive the generous 10-year warranty if you treat them right. Match them with a nice receiver from Denon or Onkyo or Pioneer for ~$300 and you've got a system which will please you for many years and blow away any $300 piece of shit HTIB (Home Theater-in-a-Box) you are thinking about buy from Walmart.

Unknown Soldier said:
The reality is that most people might buy a set of speakers once a decade if they do research, play their cards right, and invest in good products. You might upgrade a receiver once or twice in that span if new connect technologies like HDMI emerge, and you'll certainly upgrade your source components (game consoles, Blu-ray player, etc.), but if you buy a good set of speakers, they are an investment that will last you at least a decade of your life. Think hard about that a moment before throwing money away on a $300 pile of junk that will work a few years, sound like shit, and then break. :lol

There are Internet Direct (ID) speaker companies out there which will sell you a very nice set of speakers for much lower prices than you could get in retail stores or independent dealerships.

Here's a nice set of Aperions. That's triple your $300 "budget", but those are a very nice set of speakers which will sound great, match the performance of speakers you buy from a dealer which cost twice as much, and easily outlive the generous 10-year warranty if you treat them right. Match them with a nice receiver from Denon or Onkyo or Pioneer for ~$300 and you've got a system which will please you for many years and blow away any $300 piece of shit HTIB (Home Theater-in-a-Box) you are thinking about buy from Walmart.
Keep in mind too that when you buy separates you obviously don't need to buy the full system at once. I'm coincidentally planning on building a home theater with Aperion speakers over the next year or so, and my current plan is to get 5Bs for fronts, get a 5C center when I can afford it, get a decent sub likewise, and then 4Bs for surrounds.

You could easily do something similar, spend your current budget on a pair of decent bookshelf speakers and slowly add.

OP, look at this Onkyo set. I have it and am pretty pleased with it. I live in an apartment and can't risk to get anything of better quality.

Onkyo HT-S3200

Look around for prices. I wound up getting my set refurbished for around $240 I believe.

300 dollars is not a lot of money for speakers and a receiver. In most cases at this price point I would assume that you even only be getting a passive sub with your HTIAB. With the amount of time you will keep a set up it is well worth spending that extra money. My advice is if you have a tight budget get second hand items. They will sound much better. The only reason you will see people on the internet rave about a 300 dollar system is because

a) they have never heard anything better than their TV speakers.
b) its great value for money.

Sorry to have to say it, but its the truth. There are portable radios with better sound quality than alot of those cheap HTIAB.

Jonm1010

Banned
So I have heard good things about Jamo over on AVS forums and am looking at making this my first set up:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/accessories/538336130/sony-strdh810

SONY STRDH810 7.1 receiver

and

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/accessories/544674283/jamo-s-406-hcs-1-black
or

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/544042190/jamo-s-413-hcs-5

To which I then need a sub if I go for the top set. Im not set in stone and have seen a lot of positive feedback on the Polks as well but several posters in AVS seem to think that the Jamos would be better.

Whats your thoughts GAF?

MedIC86

It might not really be audiophile or something but a Logitech Z-5500 maybe serve your needs, it gets decent reviews and runs around your price range.
just my 2 cents

MedIC86 said:
It might not really be audiophile or something but a Logitech Z-5500 maybe serve your needs, it gets decent reviews and runs around your price range.
just my 2 cents

I had a set of Logitech Z-680s (the Z-5500's older brother, it had more system power) and while they were pretty sweet multimedia computer speakers, they are definitely not suitable for a 20x20ft room. They just don't move enough air, those tiny satellites were designed for near-field listening such as near a computer, not blasting a full-sized home theater. You simply can't defy the laws of physics, see Bose for further information. The subwoofers on those Logitech sets are ridiculous though, completely out of proportion with the speakers or the applications. I give Logitech props for putting the power where it counts there. :lol

striKeVillain! said:
OP, look at this Onkyo set. I have it and am pretty pleased with it. I live in an apartment and can't risk to get anything of better quality.

Onkyo HT-S3200

Look around for prices. I wound up getting my set refurbished for around $240 I believe.

this looks pretty good also! I'm going to look into it.

And sorry about calling out the audiophiles.... didn't mean to waste your time! I'll call again when I have a grand to spend :lol

bump for update.

Here's what I ended up getting...

Bose Cinemate Series II

302vwis.jpg

Obviously, I went a bit above my $300 budget. When I actually got to the store and started listening to the $250-$300 setups my wife and I were horribly disappointed. The audio sounded tinny and scratchy on even major brand names like Sony.

I got this for $599 and while it wasn't on sale or anything we are really pleased with it. I was able to set this up in 10 minutes which is amazing IMO. Plus, no wiring to the back of the room and it fills our needs perfectly with amazingly improved sound that fills the whole room.

We love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom