• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austin Game Conference promises detailed PSP discussion

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=dev&aid=3797

Rob Fahey 11:34 15/07/2004

Newest member of the PlayStation family to bare all in Austin

The forthcoming PlayStation Portable will be given its most detailed public airing yet at the Austin Game Conference this September, according to event organisers, with Sony planning an in-depth technical discussion of the system.

The conference, which runs over September 9th and 10th in Austin, Texas, will feature a session on "Programming the PlayStation Portable" presented by SCEA senior development engineers David Coombes and Peter Young.

This promises to be "Sony's most detailed public technical discussion of the PSP and developing for the PSP to date" according to the blurb, with Coombes and Young set to "detail the architecture and design of the PSP to as great an extent as possible.

"Key features that will impact game design decisions will be highlighted," the presentation description continues. "Important production-related considerations will be discussed."

Although no further details are given, the hope is obviously that Coombes and Young might set aside a few minutes to discuss some of the more interesting aspects of the PSP which were revealed in Tokyo this week - such as the ability to play wireless multiplayer games with up to 16 players without needing a hub device, and the "Talkman" automatic voice translation software.

The Austin Game Conference is an annual development conference which is organised by The Game Initiative, a spin-off of the Austin Game Initiative body which is tasked with growing the games industry through events, public awareness, information and support programmes.

You can find out more about the conference at [the AGC website].

IgeL

Austin Game Conference seems pretty good, mostly because of the Live Pitch thing. I hope we'll see more of that in the future.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
I wonder if I could get a pass to that. I know a number of big names in the Austin Gaming Scene. I could probably get in...

neptunes said:
I hope they go over battery life before the TGS and Japanese launch this year. ;)

Of course, because that's what developer conferences are for [face_rolleyes].

I swear, why some of you freaks bother to jump into any PSP topic just to throw stones and run is beyond me.

neptunes

source: ign.com

The two-day event, being kicked off this September 9th, will host a special conference, "Programming the PlayStation Portable (PSP)", on the opening day of the show. On hand will be David Coombes and Peter Young, who some astute readers may recognize as the same R&D software engineers who helped to debut the PSP at this year's GDC this March. The two will detail the architecture and design of the handheld's hardware at great lengths, particularly at the points where the system can help or hinder game coding. As in GDC, the two will also show off software APIs and examples of running PSP code -- perhaps on actual PSPs at this show, since the system may be by that point well along in its development phase for dev kit sample hardware to be on hand.

sonycowboy said:
Of course, because that's what developer conferences are for [face_rolleyes].

I swear, why some of you freaks bother to jump into any PSP topic just to throw stones and run is beyond me.

Probably for the same reason you jump in DS threads.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Hehe, thank god I live in Austin. I'm going to be all over this thing. :p

Shoryuken

ravingloon said:
Probably for the same reason you jump in DS threads.
suprisedkitty.jpg

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Lathentar said:
It'll cost you 80 something dollars.

Yeah, I know. I signed up a few weeks ago when I saw the story about it on IGN. I went the Full Conference for Student route with early registration, so I get both days for only $85. :p

Are you going? I heard that it was pretty good last year, but I didn't even know it existed until recently...

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Grizzlyjin said:
Yeah, I know. I signed up a few weeks ago when I saw the story about it on IGN. I went the Full Conference for Student route with early registration, so I get both days for only $85. :p

I wonder if I could get in for free... hmm...

Top Bottom