• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Schreier] Microsoft’s Xbox Is Planning More Cuts After Studio Closings

“In our data, Game Pass spending really had its big growth period in late 2019 through early 2021 and has since settled,” Piscatella said. “Purchasing games and add-on content as well as free-to-play models are still the vastly preferred method of getting to video games by US consumers, at least for now.”

So I guess video game players are smarter than expected. They are chosing the two most honest, clearly communicated purchase models that we currently have. You either buy a 70$ game and 30$ add-on content, where the gameplay curve is less scewed towards small Dopamin hits and soft-forced micro purchases. Or, on the opposite of the spectrum, they are chosing free to play trash, where all of the above happens - but at least you as a consumer know what you are getting into. Everything else in between though, i.e. insert-company-name-here-Pass, doesn't work.

Gamepass did more damage than Kinect in the end. Shame, because it’s a neat concept.

The majority of gamers under 25 these days don’t care about having access to 100 games, they just want Fortnite bucks and DUDE WEED 420 skins in CoD.

I wish the gamepass PC app wasn’t such utter trash, another unforced error from the people who make the goddamn OS.
And the majority of 30+ gamers have no interest in 100+ games because they don’t have time to play them.

So basically Gamepass has a very narrow target audience of gamers that have a good income, but not a family yet.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Jill Braff, head of ZeniMax studios, said in the town hall that she hoped the reorganization would allow the division, which also develops Fallout and Doom, to put more focus on fewer projects. “It’s hard to support nine studios all across the world with a lean central team with an ever-growing plate of things to do,” she said, according to audio of the meeting reviewed by Bloomberg.

“I think we were about to topple over,” she added.

Spread so thin, yet you fought to buy Activision/Blizzard after already buying all of Bethesda.

Fuck off

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
It probably sucked on the engagement aspect as well. It just wasn't a gamers game. It was niche AF.
Season 8 Agree GIF by One Chicago

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Funny that out of the 30 studious....the only ones that actually released games get shuttered. The other 25+ are just cashing paychecks and not releasing shit.

Oh.....Phillip.....if you actually RELEASE new games, then GamePass subscribers would likely increase...........

And the majority of 30+ gamers have no interest in 100+ games because they don’t have time to play them.

So basically Gamepass has a very narrow target audience of gamers that have a good income, but not a family yet.
Bingo. Gamepass sounds interesting, but as a 41 year old with a wife and a baby, I can barely finish one single player game per month between my responsibilities and my other hobbies of weight lifting, hiking, SUPing, and cycling. Hell, I'm still working on my Christmas and birthday haul, which included Spider Man 2, Lords of the Fallen, Lies of P, and Dead Space. I was hoping to have it all done before the Elden Ring DLC, bu I don't see that happening any time soon.

Last edited:

skyfinch

Damn, y'all acting so surprised. They been cutting stuff since day one. They cut tracks and features in Forza and they cut graphics and fun from Halo. They also cut really deep into the hearts of Xbox fans. So enough with threads like this, and cut it out.

Skifi28

Damn, y'all acting so surprised. They been cutting stuff since day one. They cut tracks and features in Forza and they cut graphics and fun from Halo. They also cut really deep into the hearts of Xbox fans. So enough with threads like this, and cut it out.
Reported so a mod can cut down your posting.

rapid32.5

Didn’t just Ninja Theory‘s founder left the studio after Mikami left Tango? Red flag for sure. MS is killing all the talent they might have had for some success.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Likely due to having to have feature parity with the XS. That is likely why they are fast tracking a new console....so they don't have to go through that again

Likely due to having to have feature parity with the XS. That is likely why they are fast tracking a new console....so they don't have to go through that again
Except the current plan that hasn't gotten final approval involves yet another bespoke console 'platform', one being a hybrid Steam Deck-like device, and another that is a highly expensive, extremely niche market home console whose price tag may actually feature a comma in it.

Last edited:

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
Didn’t just Ninja Theory‘s founder left the studio after Mikami left Tango? Red flag for sure. MS is killing all the talent they might have had for some success.
From what I have been told he actually left a while ago but it’s only just been made public recently. I believe the other remaining founder also left an while ago but I’m not sure if that’s ever been made public.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Funny that out of the 30 studious....the only ones that actually released games get shuttered. The other 25+ are just cashing paychecks and not releasing shit.

Oh.....Phillip.....if you actually RELEASE new games, then GamePass subscribers would likely increase...........
This here is the key point to understand. I haven't seen anybody talk about that.

Xbox is scaling back its game development.

That's why they are shutting down studios that were just about to start new projects (Tango, Arkane). And that's why they left those studios alone that have games in development (Ninja Theory, Compulsion, Machine Games, The Initiative, etc.).

All those studios will be at risk, and will likely get shut down, soon after they release their games and complete the PS5 ports. Most of them will be closed before they could start their next project.

I’ve said it before and I will say it again, Microsoft has become a cancer on this industry. Such a shame, they came in bringing so many innovations.

The OG to the first 5-6 years of 360 was awesome in my opinion. So much potential wasted after that. Xbox could be such a brilliant console experience in the right hands.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Honestly, it's a shame people didn't support some of these smaller Xbox games (Pentiment, Hi-Fi Rush, As Dusk Falls, Psychonauts 2, etc.) over the last 3 years, or a sub service full of indies and experimental titles. I think they were trying to turn towards AA, but few consumers followed. GP would have been that safety net, but everyone on here just shit on them for not having AAA games. Shame.

You can't get by on only small games. Be realistic. And these games aren't worth so much you want a whole subscription or game console to access it. They're fillers.

I think it's a "shame" that Microsoft failed to read the market, not that so many people "didn't give Pentiment a chance" or whatever

Solidus_T

I can't imagine working for an MS studio right now. You're basically under the constant threat of being laid off while you hear constant reports of the share price increasing and exec/shareholder bonuses.

nush

Gold Member
I think the actual fundamental problem with Microsoft is that they have made a name for themselves with productivity software (Boring ass business, OS, networking software) that all the execs at the top only understand that and are trying to force that business model onto creative and entertainment software. "It's all just code right?".

Hudo

Of course Schreier comes out of his toilet bowl to cash in on the drama.

Can someone ask that goblin when the Final Fantasy Tactics remake is coming out, as he said more than a year ago?

Last edited:

ProtoByte

This is exactly what Lina Khan was trying to save us from.

God bless that knight in sining armor who got vanquished by the dragon while you all were cheering
There's no reason to sing praises for the government in any of this. All that legal back and forth was just to display to corporations that they still needed to give congress their tribute.

Deals like this should be allowed, because they inevitably fail. This was obviously too much for Microsoft to handle at any rate, and the bigger they are the harder they fall. Same thing happened with AT&T and WB and is happening now with WB-Discovery.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Except the current plan that hasn't gotten final approval involves yet another bespoke console 'platform', one being a hybrid Steam Deck-like device, and another that is a highly expensive, extremely niche market home console whose price tag may actually feature a comma in it.
mother of god danger GIF

They really are rudderless.

Top Bottom