• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australia tour of South Africa |OT| Battle of the Batsmen

Status
Not open for further replies.
May as well try out an official Sth Africa tour thread, see how it goes....same rules apply as per the Ashes thread - keep the discussion to the cricket out on the field thanks.

178555.jpg

1st Test: South Africa v Australia at Centurion
Feb 12-16, 2014 (10:30 local | 08:30 GMT | 19:30 EDT | 19:00 CDT | 16:30 WST)
2nd Test: South Africa v Australia at Port Elizabeth
Feb 20-24, 2014 (10:30 local | 08:30 GMT | 19:30 EDT | 19:00 CDT | 16:30 WST)
3rd Test: South Africa v Australia at Cape Town
Mar 1-5, 2014 (10:30 local | 08:30 GMT | 19:30 EDT | 19:00 CDT | 16:30 WST)
1st T20I: South Africa v Australia at Port Elizabeth
Mar 9, 2014 (14:30 local | 12:30 GMT | 23:30 EDT | 23:00 CDT | 20:30 WST)
2nd T20I: South Africa v Australia at Durban
Mar 12, 2014 (18:00 local | 16:00 GMT | 03:00 EDT | 02:30 CDT | 00:00 WST)

Micky Arthur interview now on.

he is a good coach in my opinion, just a very bad fit for the Aussies though.

I laughed when I heard he has put his hand up for the England job, but he could suit that old school hierarchy managerial system where you aren't supposed to question your coach and all individualism and flair is taken out of you game.

Rezbit

Expecting a reasonably close series but South Africa should get the job done at home. Depends which Mitchell Johnson shows up I guess. Hopefully Doolan does well, or at the very least gets decent run at it. Also, that is a really cheap looking trophy lol.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Should be a great series.

I agree that it's up to which batting side could negotiate the bowling better, because the bowling from both sides will be monstrous.

People keep saying it's all about whether Mitch Johnson performs but I reckon that they're underestimating Ryan Harris.

Putting the Aussies in is a big call IMO.

They want to set the tone early but may even be a little trepidation facing the Aussies on this pitch.

Clarkey understandably says he would have batted first.

This is test cricket - it takes a big effort to win a test when sending a team in.

I didn't expect Aussies to win the Ashes and we know what happened. I don't think we'll be close to SA though. I think our bowling attack that Clarke thinks is the best in the world, will be shown up. I expect to see Bird and Patto to come in sooner rather than later, and make the bowling attack heaps better. I think Bird should be in right now instead of Siddle though.

Come on boys! Glad to see Dools get a gig and Marsh yet another chance. I hope he can do something.

kmag

Warner seeing it well.

He'll be seeing it from the pavilion now. Bowled off an ill advised attempt to cut a ball which cramped him up. Shame he was looking in good nick but that was an absolutely terrible shot. You can't give Steyn a gift like that especially with a debutant in at 3. I love Warner's intent but you've got to give the likes of Steyn a bit of respect.

He'll be seeing it from the pavilion now. Bowled. Shame he was looking in good nick but that was an absolutely terrible shot. You can't give Steyn a gift like that especially with a debutant in at 3. I love Warner's intent but you've got to give the likes of Steyn a bit of respect.

Yeah it was the right intent but the execution was poor.

Crash was describing Doolan as the next mark Waugh. I hope so!

kmag

Thought Rogers would struggle against Morkel. 24/2 in real trouble, Marsh in now and two inexperienced batsman at the crease. Clarke batting at 5 it would seem to protect him from the new ball and Morkel's bounces.

Doolan looking good, need to go on with the start.

If you send a side in in a test you need two or three wickets in the first session at least. So just need these two to see it through to lunch now.

Antiwhippy

Hey at least haddin is there to save us!

Also johnson has a ton against the saffers too, so there's that.

One good thing for us is that we don't have a bad tail, even if the top order is prone to shooting its own foot.

kmag

Doolan looking good, need to go on with the start.

If you send a side in in a test you need two or three wickets in the first session at least. So just need these two to see it through to lunch now.

Yep, while you'd obviously prefer to have all your wickets in hand, 50/2 at drinks being put into bat (especially against this bowling attack) isn't that bad, it's not great by any means but it's not terrible. If these two can get to lunch or even if Australia can get to around 100/3 it's not a terrible result.

Antiwhippy

Nope.

Also goddamn I really don't like cricinfo's new live commentary page. Give the actual commentary more room!

edit: like, my cricinfo page is not broken right? This is how it looks for me. Why the hell is the right side so dominant?

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Nope.

Also goddamn I really don't like cricinfo's new live commentary page. Give the actual commentary more room!

edit: like, my cricinfo page is not broken right? This is how it looks for me. Why the hell is the right side so dominant?

Yup, pretty gross.

Goddamn Foxtel, cant even watch 9's this weekend....... got internet though so yeh.

Strange decision from smith, build pressure with the seamers and then bring on the part time spinner to relieve it.

Yeah I agree.

Can only think he is keeping philander steyn as fresh as possible, so get some overs out of mclaren and Peterson now.

Weird and very negative, but not surprising being conservative captaining from smith.

hamchan

Shame I can't watch it because I don't have Foxtel. Really wanted to though, it's sure to be more exciting than the Ashes.

Oops I'm a bit of an idiot. I got Alviro Petersen, a very part time spinner confused with the actual spinner who was bowling Robin Peterson. Probably should've been paying more attention! Philander should be back on though by now.

Edit: He is!

kmag

Ah well South Africa's session now, Doolan gone 72/3. Silly silly to go for the pull on that length shortly before lunch. In fact absolutely mindless especially as he was looking pretty comfortable. That's two wickets gifted to the South African's today with unnecessary shots in the wrong situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom