• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australians give up 51,000 illegal guns as govt stands by tough laws

You know... if the US can't ban guns due to their preacious 2nd ammendment, then why not just ban ammunition?
People may stock up on it, but they will run out eventually + the thought of running out may even make them think twice if they want to "waste" a bullet to shoot some neighbourhood kid in the back.

In short, let them have their guns, just take their bullets

This one TRICK can fix the 2nd amendment!

Constitutional Lawyers HATE him!

Don't praise Australia too much. A recent study showed state laws were weakening gun control and it was worse off than when they originally came in. I doubt they'll ever be weakened too much though, we support gun control a lot.

Slime

Banned
man-punches-kangaroo.gif

Legit thought that was Luke from Gilmore Girls for a second.

Apathy

You know... if the US can't ban guns due to their preacious 2nd ammendment, then why not just ban ammunition?
People may stock up on it, but they will run out eventually + the thought of running out may even make them think twice if they want to "waste" a bullet to shoot some neighbourhood kid in the back.

In short, let them have their guns, just take their bullets

I'll quote the great Australian philosopher Jim Jefferies here,

" “You cannot change the Second Amendment!” And I’m like, “Yes, you can. It’s called an ‘amendment.'” If you can’t change something that’s called an “amendment”, see, many of you need a thesaurus more than you need a constitution."

spelen

funny considering Australia's geography and wildlife I would say aussies have more of an excuse to demand the need for guns

RCSI

Yep. Gun control will never work in the country that exports more guns than any other, that has the largest number of registered gun owners, where it is easier to buy a gun than get a credit card.

And you always have someone say it is their god given right to protect and feed their family and how they are responsible ans not criminals. Adam Lanza's mother was a legal gun owner. Stephen Paddock was a legal gun owner. The Wisconsin Sikh temple shooter talked about how he hated being blamed as a responsible gun owner. Everyone is a responsible gun owner until they aren't.

Murdered kids changed nothing in the US. Nothing will change again because they are so brainwashed by the culture of guns. Even people who don't own guns admit they'd like to have one.

Not disagreeing with your views on the difficulty of shifting the opinions of many registered gun owners, but gun control does work. It's worked in other countries and it will work here. The next discussion we need to have is how we may change these views in order to gain action toward gun control legislation and reintroduce research into gun violence.

Dingens

I'll quote the great Australian philosopher Jim Jefferies here,

" ”You cannot change the Second Amendment!" And I'm like, ”Yes, you can. It's called an ‘amendment.'" If you can't change something that's called an ”amendment", see, many of you need a thesaurus more than you need a constitution."

Sure you can (and should) change it, but the argument usually goes like "but people will never volunteer their guns, therefore it's pointless". Keep them, I say, since it doesn't matter if there is no easy way to actually use them anymore.

The way the US constitution has been holy-fied for the last couple of decades/years, I don't think changing it will be easy or possible. If anything it may provoke a "call to arms 'cause tyranny " the right keeps bubbling about. "First they change one amendment, then they will change everything". But I'm sure you're familiar with the "slippery slope" "argument" that gets brought up in discussion like these

TaterTots

Banned
Sigh what have they done. The only way to stop a mad man with a gun is a good man with a gun. How will they hunt! What about when I wanna to go to range and practise?

They have deadly animals because they don't have guns to shoot them, obviously.

Winky face. Slash s. End sarcasm.

Not sure how serious you two are or anyone else in this thread, but you can still own a firearm legally in Australia. Want to start hunting? Get a letter from a land owner giving you permission to hunt on their land or join a club. Wait 28 days and enjoy your firearm. Semi automatics are the tricky ones. You have to be a farmer or a professional shooter to obtain one.

Last time I checked, there are more guns in Australia now than before the 1996 massacre. I'm not sure if those illegal firearms turned in make a difference or not, regarding the study.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-28/australia-has-more-guns-than-before-port-arthur-massacre/7366360

The U.S. issue is the amount of people mixed in with the amount of guns. Australia has never been anywhere near the amount of people/firearms we do. They cut it off pretty earlier while we let it grow for so long its difficult to do much now.

Not sure how serious you two are or anyone else in this thread, but you can still own a firearm legally in Australia. Want to start hunting? Get a letter from a land owner giving you permission to hunt on their land or join a club. Wait 28 days and enjoy your firearm. Semi automatics are the tricky ones. You have to be a farmer or a professional shooter to obtain one.

Last time I checked, there are more guns in Australia now than before the 1996 massacre. I'm not sure if those illegal firearms turned in make a difference or not, regarding the study.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-28/australia-has-more-guns-than-before-port-arthur-massacre/7366360

The U.S. issue is the amount of people mixed in with the amount of guns. Australia has never been anywhere near the amount of people/firearms we do. They cut it off pretty earlier while we let it grow for so long its difficult to do much now.

I don't own a gun for farming or hunting. I own it for home defense. You lose folks like me the moment you start talking about Australia style in terms of not being allowed to legally defend ones homes with a firearm.

Sorry but you guys are off the deep end thinking that shit gonna take root here.

Safe storage. Smart gun proliferation. Not allowing 40 gun purchases a minute. Better background checks. Bump stocks gone. Magazine size restrictions. I'm OK with that. But Australia style confiscation pretending you're gonna get 300 million semi automatic firearms? Nope.

I don't own a gun for farming or hunting. I own it for home defense. You lose folks like me the moment you start talking about Australia style in terms of not being allowed to legally defend ones homes with a firearm.

Sorry but you guys are off the deep end thinking that shit gonna take root here.

Safe storage. Smart gun proliferation. Not allowing 40 gun purchases a minute. Better background checks. Bump stocks gone. Magazine size restrictions. I'm OK with that. But Australia style confiscation pretending you're gonna get 300 million semi automatic firearms? Nope.

Welp. You can own guns because it is legal to do so. Should they become illegal, you would HAVE to turn it in or face the consequences of the the legal system. Are you saying that, should the law change, you wouldn't follow it?

Welp. You can own guns because it is legal to do so. Should they become illegal, you would HAVE to turn it in or face the consequences of the the legal system. Are you saying that, should the law change, you wouldn't follow it?

I live in a nation where I'm surrounded by folks that wanna turn my family and myself into strange fruit. I'll let you figure the rest out.

I'm sure their guns will be turned in too, right?

I said it before and I'll keep saying it. I'll be the first to approach the gun smelting pits and turn my guns in and smile as they're melted when you take them away from ALL the racist police that shoot black men in the back and get a slap on the wrist, the racist kkk and Nazis, the criminals and the militarized police. Till then? Nope.

Don't praise Australia too much. A recent study showed state laws were weakening gun control and it was worse off than when they originally came in. I doubt they'll ever be weakened too much though, we support gun control a lot.

Funniest thing is it was due to lobbying from USA, a bunch of guns were banned, so they wanted to change the laws.
Same USA groups who support the Nationals, Pauline Hanson and other racist "farmer parties"

I'm not sure I can laugh at that gif.

That poor kangaroo

Edit: if I lived in a country with kangaroos, then I'd run a mile from them.

Scary scary folks.

Punching them just makes them angrier :(

Top Bottom