• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Author Cormac McCarthy Dead at 89

Chiggs

The author of Blood Meridian, All the Pretty Horses, The Road, and No Country for Old Men has died today.

Cormac McCarthy, widely regarded as one of the greatest writers in American history, has died aged 89.

McCarthy died of natural causes at his home in Sante Fe, New Mexico, on Tuesday, his son John McCarthy confirmed.

The Pulitzer Prize-winner was known for such Western and apocalyptic novels as 'The Road,' 'Blood Meridian' and 'No Country for Old Men,' which was adapted by the Coen brothers into an Academy Award-winning movie of the same name.

Et in Arcadia ego

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
RIP

I'll always remember him for his cameo on Mike Tyson Mysteries.

Trunx81

Well, it seems that there really is no country for old men

Ready To Go Sunglasses GIF by ION Mystery

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
RIP

Talented author, but I personally find his works too bitter. The counselor fucked me up.

I read the The Road in one sitting, I couldn't put that book down. It was the first novel of his that I read, and probably remains my favorite.
Blood Meridian for a close second, that book is something else.

jason10mm

Gold Member
So I told my wife, Hey Cormac McCarthy died. She said, Who? I replied The guy that wrote The Road and Blood Meridian and really hated quotation marks and conventional grammatical rules. She said Oh.

RIP though, a true visionary despite the issues I have withhis writing style.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I've read three of his books. No Country for Old Men is an American literary masterpiece. It's just mind-boggingly brilliant. If you like the movie even a little bit, you should read the book. The Road is almost as good. Blood Meridian... I don't like Blood Meridian. But I can still appreciate it on its merits. RIP.

Last edited:

Mr Blobby

A literary giant and one of my favourite authors. Just finished reading All the Pretty Horses. There was a mythic quality in how he explored the lands and the people that occupied them.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
From the description in the book I always thought nuclear war but it’s been a while since I read it.
That was always my second thought too. Give the calamity it always felt external to me, something that man had zero control over, adding to the depression and sadness

Scotty W

Gold Member
I regret watching The Counsellor. It ruined Fassbender for me. It's the most depressing and nihilistic movie I've ever seen
I hated it the first time. Second time it became scary rather than depressing. It is an honest picture of where we are politically.

Mr Blobby

Anyone read Stella Maris? It's a companion book to The Passenger and is a conversation between a self-institutionalised woman and her psychiatrist. It's a departure from his modern western novels and gives voice to McCarthy's views on maths, philosophy and mental illness. The guy was such a profound thinker

Top Bottom