• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Babylon's Fall services have ended

Fake

Throw Away Dirty Work GIF by MOODMAN

begotten

I don't give a shit but out of curiosity, can this game actually be played offline, or if you have a Disc V.01 to go?

nowhat

Time for the "misunderstood masterpiece" discussion & articles to roll out.
Bonus points if we get them to re-release the game.
I'm waiting for the fan-made UE5 version.

(which, incidentally, might be much better than the original game, even if it would only be a tech demo)

"I don't care about always online, my internet connection never goes out. What's the problem?" - say people in 'always online' threads

This is the problem. Shit or not (I never played it) the problem is people will never get to experience this game. It's such a waste of effort to make something that disappears forever.

Fbh

The ultimate
Episode 2 Whatever GIF

Hopefully this whole experience has helped Platinum rethink their future plans.

With the failures of games like Avengers, every single Ubisoft GaaS attempt, this thing and the horrible reception Suicide Squad is getting - I wonder if Sony isn’t a bit late with their 10 GaaS games by 2026 project.

https://www.vg247.com/sony-plans-to-release-10-live-service-games-by-2026

I feel like the market is totally saturated and gamers have had their fill of GaaS experiences.

It's like a gamble for these companies. They are willing to release failure after failure because they only need one of them to really blow up and it will make them so much money it will justify the previous investments

I remember when every single-player game felt obligated to have an online-mode. I hated that and was happy to see it fail often and eventually stop for most single-player games.

I'm even more happy to see all these online GaaS games chasing the Fortnite and Destiny trend failing, so these developers will start refocusing on the games that earned them their respective audiences in the first place.

RockSteady, you're up next to learn this lesson.

Last edited:

RafterXL

"I don't care about always online, my internet connection never goes out. What's the problem?" - say people in 'always online' threads

This is the problem. Shit or not (I never played it) the problem is people will never get to experience this game. It's such a waste of effort to make something that disappears forever.
Your argument is pretty weak if you're having to use games like this to furtger it. No one wants to play this game right now, much less in 10 years.

This isn't a problem. You didn't care about this game yesterday and you won't care about it tomorrow. You only care about it today because it pushes your narrative.

Your argument is pretty weak if you're having to use games like this to furtger it. No one wants to play this game right now, much less in 10 years.

This isn't a problem. You didn't care about this game yesterday and you won't care about it tomorrow. You only care about it today because it pushes your narrative.
You know, I really dislike people who have your 'viewpoint', where you can't see past the end of your nose.

There is no narrative to push other than the preservation of our medium. There is no defence, none whatsoever against losing games forever. No matter how bad, how unpopular, losing a game should be a tragedy to all gamers.

My argument is made more strongly for standing up for games that are supposedly bad. We shouldn't pick and choose what we preserve.

Furthermore, You can't have been gaming longer than 10 years if you believe a crap game is crap forever. The jank that has been published over the years sometimes turns into gold. Deadly Premonition is one of the lowest scoring games of all time, yet, is one that is beloved by most of those that played it.

And really, if you think publishers taking games out of the reach of games isn't a problem, then there's a high probability that you don't really care about gaming, you just do it because you have nothing else to do or you fail to see, understand or comprehend what a slippery slope is.

DaGwaphics

I guess Babylon fell quickly.

I feel bad for the people that actually paid full price for it. It's one thing for a F2P title to disappear this quickly, but a full price game, that's bad. They should have stayed committed to it for at least a couple years. It's not like they would have needed to support many players.

I'm surprised nobody has made a punny statement referencing the game's title.
Trust me. I'm trying. I made a joke about "someone turning the lights out at Luminous Studios" earlier and that got no real attention, so I clearly need better material.

How about "Babylon's Fall tripped out of the starting gate?" Not sure. I need to workshop this...

Last edited:
With the failures of games like Avengers, every single Ubisoft GaaS attempt, this thing and the horrible reception Suicide Squad is getting - I wonder if Sony isn’t a bit late with their 10 GaaS games by 2026 project.

https://www.vg247.com/sony-plans-to-release-10-live-service-games-by-2026

I feel like the market is totally saturated and gamers have had their fill of GaaS experiences.
There's simply not enough market space for so many of these GaaS game. They're so expensive to make and they're all shooting for the same audience. It's just not a feasible strategy other than the two to four successful ones.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As for you guys saying there's too many GAAS games I agree. There's only so much time gamers have. It's impossible for the gamer base to all be spending hours and hours on 20, 25, 30...... 50 different GAAS games where the game mechanic is repetitious grinding for 100s of hours. I bet most core GAAS gamers only support one game. Or a couple games and thats it. They are tapped out. And lots of them are shooters.

Its probably better most studios make a good SP game (with a bit of MP modes if needed). Gamers can buy it as a short term breather. Beat the game in a month and go back to their favourite GAAS game. Let COD and Fortnite hoard the GAAS crowd. It's their strength.

It's like the endless shooters that came and went trying to beat COD starting in the 360/PS3 era. How many of them survived? So many of them shamelessly copied COD's killstreak mechanic too.

But the temptation is too great. They all see and hear the big GAAS titles reap in billions every year and all they got to do is make a good starter game and then do season updates, mtx and release the occasional new map. Just coast and the money never stops flowing in.

Last edited:

Kabelly

they should have put all their focus into Bayo 3. Instead they were managing like 4 different projects and this one was one of the biggest flops of all time.

Your dialectic argument: "Evidence of a claim doesn't count if the game used as evidence is generally thought of as bad"

The rhetoric following your initial argument: "You are arguing in bad faith because you are using evidence that I am claiming is bad evidence."

lol, lmao even. Here is some nuance for you: perhaps Babylons Fall wouldnt have sucked and actually would have been a standard platinum game if it hadn't been built to be an always online gaas game.

Last edited:
As for you guys saying there's too many GAAS games I agree. There's only so much time gamers have. It's impossible for the gamer base to all be spending hours and hours on 20, 25, 30...... 50 different GAAS games where the game mechanic is repetitious grinding for 100s of hours. I bet most core GAAS gamers only support one game. Or a couple games and thats it. They are tapped out. And lots of them are shooters.

They are trying to bring the money grabbing from mobile to console and PC but even on Mobile there's implosions all the time because there's a limit to sustainability, but on home platforms it just can't work, and it's a shame so many companies are still going to try just because they imagine piles of money they think they can snatch from gamers.

We used to have several GAAS games going, and now on home platforms there's only what, 3 popular ones now? And one is stagnant. Like Battle Royale, there is a period where devs think they can cash in long term, same with cross games.

Multiverses being an example of the latter.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned

Moron

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Last edited:

FeralEcho

What,do you guys not have internet where yu live,what's the deal with the always online hate,It's 2023 your console is always connected to the internet etc.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They are trying to bring the money grabbing from mobile to console and PC but even on Mobile there's implosions all the time because there's a limit to sustainability, but on home platforms it just can't work, and it's a shame so many companies are still going to try just because they imagine piles of money they think they can snatch from gamers.

We used to have several GAAS games going, and now on home platforms there's only what, 3 popular ones now? And one is stagnant. Like Battle Royale, there is a period where devs thing they can catch in long term, same with cross games.

Multiverses being an example of the latter.
The money is too big to ignore.

No doubt all the GAAS games do the exact same thing in board meetings my company does. We all do.

Hmmmm.... Nielsen sales data shows the category is worth $1 billion dollars. After you peel out retailer profit margins of 30%, that leaves 70% or $700M left for manufacturers. The top 10 items are $300M alone.

According to our estimates, if we carve out 2% of the market in year one, that's $14M for us. And if we can grow it every year from there to 2.5%, 3%.... 5%. After the category naturally grows at 5% too, we should have $40M sales by the year 2027.

Sounds logical according to our spreadsheet. Do it.

Top Bottom