• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Backlogs: A Gamer's Nightmare or Boon?

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
We live in an age of cheap convenience. Whether your preference is digital or physical, the online market has numerous ways to find the best deals on games all without having to leave the comfort of your own home. However, this can lead to an unintended side effect: an ever increasing accumulation of games that sit in your backlog. Most may have experienced this phenomenon thanks to Steam's various seasonal sales where you can buy high quality games for less than a cup of coffee at Caribou. Currently, I have 720 physical titles in my collection, nearly 500 are unplayed or unfinished (even more if you count digital titles). For the longest time, I thought that having a large backlog was a negative thing - but is this really the truth?

muo-gaming-usedgames-PC.jpg

I have begun to look at my backlog in a different light. As I continue on in my education, I have less time to dedicate to games and even less money (a graduate stipend doesn't go a long ways). Due to my "frivolous" spending as a young adult, I have a sizable number of titles that I can pick and choose from depending on my mood. Am I feeling up for a SHMUP? Deathsmiles and Ikaruga will gladly give that to me in spades. In the mood for feeling like a badass? Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry are always there for me. Wanting to slow down and smell the roses? How about some Harvest Moon or Ever Oasis? Annoyed at a coworker or simply want to let off steam? Ring Fit Adventure and DOOM 2016 will help me reduce stress. I could play a different genre on a different console for years and still not get through my backlog. That kind of freedom, that variety is wonderful and one that I treasure more highly than I used too.

Don't get me wrong, I still buy new games on occasion, but as money is tighter I can use that pesky backlog to provide a buffer between new releases. While Outer Worlds may cost $49.99 at Wal-Mart today, in a months time it could be down 10% or even 20% by the holidays. Also, if I simply don't have the money, then I can choose another similar title in the backlog to cover that itch that Outer Worlds may have scratched. Fallout: New Vegas, Prey, or even Planescape: Tides of Numenera are all wonderful options in such a case. If a new sequel to a franchise I adore releases, I can look back into my collection and see one of the previous entries I never finished. Fire Emblem: Three Houses released? I can instead play a fan-translated reproduction copy of Fire Emblem: The Sword of Flame.

A backlog can be just as much of a boon as a hindrance if one makes it out to be. You just have to make the most out of it.

~~~~~~~~~~
What are your thoughts, GAF? Do you have a large backlog? Do you think backlogs are largely negative or positive?

FranBell1316

Neo Member
I've got faith that by the time I'm retired and have nothing to do my backlog will keep me away from Alzheimer's.

brap

Banned
Imagine finishing your backlog and having nothing to play. Having a backlog is fine. Mine isn't that big either. Better being able to choose from a wide variety than just wait for whatevers coming out. Plus, it's nice to wait for a month on a new game so you can get it for 30 or 40 bucks. End up saving a lot of money that way.

Dthomp

We live in an age of cheap convenience. Whether your preference is digital or physical, the online market has numerous ways to find the best deals on games all without having to leave the comfort of your own home. However, this can lead to an unintended side effect: an ever increasing accumulation of games that sit in your backlog. Most may have experienced this phenomenon thanks to Steam's various seasonal sales where you can buy high quality games for less than a cup of coffee at Caribou. Currently, I have 720 physical titles in my collection, nearly 500 are unplayed or unfinished (even more if you count digital titles). For the longest time, I thought that having a large backlog was a negative thing - but is this really the truth?

muo-gaming-usedgames-PC.jpg

I have begun to look at my backlog in a different light. As I continue on in my education, I have less time to dedicate to games and even less money (a graduate stipend doesn't go a long ways). Due to my "frivolous" spending as a young adult, I have a sizable number of titles that I can pick and choose from depending on my mood. Am I feeling up for a SHMUP? Deathsmiles and Ikaruga will gladly give that to me in spades. In the mood for feeling like a badass? Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry are always there for me. Wanting to slow down and smell the roses? How about some Harvest Moon or Ever Oasis? Annoyed at a coworker or simply want to let off steam? Ring Fit Adventure and DOOM 2016 will help me reduce stress. I could play a different genre on a different console for years and still not get through my backlog. That kind of freedom, that variety is wonderful and one that I treasure more highly than I used too.

Don't get me wrong, I still buy new games on occasion, but as money is tighter I can use that pesky backlog to provide a buffer between new releases. While Outer Worlds may cost $49.99 at Wal-Mart today, in a months time it could be down 10% or even 20% by the holidays. Also, if I simply don't have the money, then I can choose another similar title in the backlog to cover that itch that Outer Worlds may have scratched. Fallout: New Vegas, Prey, or even Planescape: Tides of Numenera are all wonderful options in such a case. If a new sequel to a franchise I adore releases, I can look back into my collection and see one of the previous entries I never finished. Fire Emblem: Three Houses released? I can instead play a fan-translated reproduction copy of Fire Emblem: The Sword of Flame.

A backlog can be just as much of a boon as a hindrance if one makes it out to be. You just have to make the most out of it.

~~~~~~~~~~
What are your thoughts, GAF? Do you have a large backlog? Do you think backlogs are largely negative or positive?

I have a backlog that would make people cry. Sometimes I get a little bummed when I think about never playing 90% of the games I own but damn if I don't enjoy collecting and playing as many as I can. If I know I want the game, I buy it, if that's day 1 to support a game or company I enjoy I don't care about the 10 bucks I might save waiting 5 months.

Game collecting is fun :) Although I am not one of those types that goes to GS and buys every version of Madden, NBA, and whatever yearly game is 3 bucks to have more games. Quality above all else

Top Bottom