• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bands/Performers That Stayed Consistently Good

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to give credit to Prince here. I think that throughout every decade he has had solid output. That includes his more recent records too!!

In the last few years he's given us both the HitnRun albums (which I enjoyed immensely), and the 3rdeyegirl album. Rock n Roll Love Affair is a great standout.

80s highlights - Dirty Mind, Controversy, Purple Rain, Around the World in a Day, Lovesexy, Sign o' the Times, Batman

90s highlights - Diamonds and Pearls, Love Symbol album, Gold Experience, Come, The Vault

00s Highlights - Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic, The Rainbow Children, Xpectation, Planet Earth

10s highlights - PlectrumElectrum, HitnRun Phase 1 and 2

The only track of Prince's that I really want to hear, but have no means of doing so, is PFunk / F.U.N.K from 2007. Can't buy it anywhere anymore :-(

Dex815

Motorhead
Iron Maiden
Manowar
Led Zeppelin
Judas Priest
Overkill
Dio in every band he was in
Airbourne
AC/DC
Sanctuary
Kreator

Dicer

Banned
Kmfdm, always the ultra heavy beat
Faith no More
Anthrax even with the jon/joey back and forth
De la soul, wavered but never faltered
Bjork

Won't be a popular opinion, but I like newer Linkin Park just as much as their old school stuff, sometimes moreso. Living Things is a wonderful album, and The Hunting Party is pretty great too. Loses a bit to the loudness war, but it still has some awesome tunes on it.

I feel the same about Godsmack, though I still debate on Awake being their best album or not. And The Oracle is a slight step down overall, but 1000hp was rad as fuck so back up they go in my eyes.

As performers, they're astounding. I imagine better than when they started.

And fuck, I still think Disturbed do great work. I purchased their newest album and their first album in 2015 and love both. Immortalize is my favorite of the two though.

Mathieran

Banned
I have two submissions.

1 is Murder by Death. They've put out about 6 albums so far and not only are they consistent they keep getting better each time. And they put on an awesome show.

2. Conor Oberst through all of his various projects. So far the only dud was his album with the mystic valley band but he has been very prolific for a long time and it's almost always great and is atleast good. He's also dipped in his toes in a variety of genres and always manages to pull it off.

Wilco?

They have a couple of clunkers and the pivotal/influential work is behind them, but they're still putting out some great work and the live shows are still amazing.

Dylan is probably the poster child. Variable in output, but he's had great records in every decade, right?

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Judas Priest did not have a bad album from 1974 (Rocka Rolla) through 1990 (Painkiller) except maybe Turbo in 1986. That is some remarkable consistency.

Obscured by Clouds is pretty hit & miss (mostly miss), and The Wall doesn't live up to the others (in my rather unpopular opinion).

Liking all of your choices. Also agree with the Floyd ones, though honestly I haven't given The Wall a true good listen in a couple of years....so maybe my thoughts might change on it.

I'll have to give Bjork's releases more listens. I like some of her stuff, but haven't ever really devoted much time to it other than one of her low-key albums (gling-glo?)

bebop242

Kmfdm, always the ultra heavy beat
Faith no More
Anthrax even with the jon/joey back and forth
De la soul, wavered but never faltered
Bjork

Disagree with KMFDM. Amazing run from Naive to Symbols but dropped off after En Esch and Gunther Shultz left.

Agree with FNM, Bjork and even Anthrax (just starting to catch up with them recently)

espher

Even Hot Space? ;)

Dancer, Put Out the Fire, and Under Pressure were fine by me.

Body Language never clicked. Certainly their objectively weakest album.

Disagree with KMFDM. Amazing run from Naive to Symbols but dropped off after En Esch and Gunther Shultz left.

I liked Attak and Hau Ruck, but nothing since has done it for me. You're right that Naive to Symbols was a fantastic run.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
AC/DC.
Some may say they did because all their albums sound the same

Gloggins

Vader are extremely consistent. Formed in 1983 and their last 2 albums are the best they have done (tied with Litany).

RoKKeR

U2. Dudes have been in the game for 40 years now and they put on some of the best live shows in the industry. While I personally don't think their output in the last 10 or so years has been quite a good as their stuff from the 80's and, it's pretty damn solid and has produced some great material for a band so late in their career.

Also Bowie. What a fucking boss. Top of his game all the way to the end.

Edit: Oh, and Jack White. The entire White Stripes catalogue + his two solo albums? Damn, dude is legit.

Megadeth

hqdefault.jpg

(also Rush - but they have been represented)
Have you heard risk or supercollider?
Supercollider is mostly sewage in audio format. Endgame is a very good album, and I liked United Abominations when it came out, but going back to it, i dont really care for most of it. Thirteen I think is just kinda meh. Still havent listened to Dystopia yet, but those song titles seem like the furthest that Dave has gone off the deep end so far, so that doesnt instill much hope to me.
Dystopia is amazing. Worry not.

U2. Dudes have been in the game for 40 years now and they put on some of the best live shows in the industry. While I personally don't think their output in the last 10 or so years has been exceptionally good, it's pretty damn solid and has produced some great material for a band so late in their career.

Their live performances have never disappointed, and maybe even gotten better over the years. I've never actually seen them live, but have watched a lot of performances on youtube over the last few months from a lot of different eras, and I'm pretty sold. I'm 33 and this is maybe only the first time in my life I've really wanted to see U2 live.

I could see a lot of people disagreeing with this, but I think Oasis was pretty consistently awesome as well. I've enjoyed every album and live performance that I've heard over every era. I'd put that all on Noel though since his solo career has remained fresh and interesting, though he should tour more.

Some more groups that were always amazing: Grateful Dead, Allman Brothers Band, Prince, Ween, T-Rex, Husker Du, The Replacements, The Clash....I could really go on for a while. Great bands are pretty great.

Dicer

Banned

Agree with FNM, Bjork and even Anthrax (just starting to catch up with them recently)

The transition post en/shulz was different but not bad and then they picked right back up. And in the end we got Slick Idiot out of the deal so I really can't complain...

RoKKeR

Their live performances have never disappointed, and maybe even gotten better over the years. I've never actually seen them live, but have watched a lot of performances on youtube over the last few months from a lot of different eras, and I'm pretty sold. I'm 33 and this is maybe only the first time in my life I've really wanted to see U2 live.

They are the masters of the live show... it's what they built their entire career on. Really special stuff, and they continue to push the envelope. This most recent tour was the best show I've been to of theirs. Set list, staging, fan interaction, band having fun... all good.

It looks like they will be back on the road at the end of the year... if you can manage to get out to see them you absolutely should. Was a life changing experience for my 10 year old self when I saw them during the Vertigo tour back in 2004!

Judas Priest did not have a bad album from 1974 (Rocka Rolla) through 1990 (Painkiller) except maybe Turbo in 1986. That is some remarkable consistency.

I'd argue most of Priest's discography is pretty great (The two with Tim Owens is rather different compared to everything else), at least the stuff that isn't is at least listenable (Demolition is kind of weak, Jugulator is pretty good)

The Dear Hunter has got to be my pick. With their newest CD, they revisit their originality they had fueling their original works of art. The cd prior to that was very, very good, showing slight changes and departures, while retaining their message, in newer ways. A phenomenal group of musicians, and an even better group of people. My GF introduced me to them shortly after they were making a name for themselves, and we will gladly drive 9+ hours to see a show. Have done it numerous times before, I don't see us stopping now :D

OP, I have to disagree with you on Coheed. Their newest CD harkens back to the days when they were (originally) mildly selling out, making super poppy songs. In a time when they were on commercials and the radio and more, I think even maybe MTV at one point. They need to go back to their roots, and continue the legacies and stories they have so artfully crafted over the years.

Side note - anyone who is a fan of Coheed, please check out The Dear Hunter. TDH is also a concept band, where stories are told over the course of several albums. While not as progressively slamming as C&C, TDH has such a eclectic mix of music, you are certain to find something you dig. At the very least, listening to Casey Crescenzo sing should melt your troubles away with his voice.
The Black Dahlia Murder
Protest the Hero
The Dear Hunter
Rise Against
Machine Head (if you ignore most of The Burning Red and Supercharger)
I started my posted a while ago, and had to slowly put it together through work, but I am SO glad to see someone else bring them up. InternetHighFive.gif

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
For live performances, I think its going to be hard to be U2. Most bands after a decade basically turn into a Greatest Hits, they are still able to put new stuff out and have a killer show since the 70's.

For quality of music, I do think Bowie is a good choice. His stuff is always different.

Ahasverus

Nightwish has survived 3 vocalists, 2 style changes and one movie, and just sold out the Wembley Arena with their 9th album in 20 years.

So yeah, them.

bobeth

I saw Nick Cave (and most of the bad seeds) a few years ago, I remember being impressed with his voice then, a very solid live performance for middle of a tour show..

Accoun

Might be controversial, but Metallica.

Yes, I like St. Anger.
Yes, I like Lulu.
Yes, I like Loads.

In fact I prefer all of them over The Black Album, which I still don't think is bad. And their first albums are just great.

zerotol

Banned
I don't really listen to too many legacy bands with discographies spanning decades. These 90s bands never wavered in quality though, imo. They honed their sound and stayed in their lane.

Unwound

Here's one I can agree with. Unwound kept getting more and more experimental compared to what they started out as. I've known those guys since they were in high school and used to watch them play in their basement. they were a pretty straight forward punk band that was influenced heavily by Black Flag and the Melvins. (Also Steel Pole Bath Tub and early Nirvana) over the years they sort of kept changing and eventually became the band that created Leaves Turn Inside You, which is completely different to the sounds they started with.

KMFDM is pretty consistent. WTF?! is fantastic.

Fear Factory as well. Genexus easily ranks among the classics.

And Front Line Assembly, of course.

Tangerine Dream really had an amazing run. You have your poppier film soundtracks in the 80s but even then they had great live and studio albums. From the most experimental krautrock to more conventional electronic music - they really have a great catalog that will please your ears (well, some of you) for awhile.

old

The Offspring have yet to release a bad album but they have slowed down. Only 2 albums in the past decade.

Queen - i never bought the flash soundtrack, nor hot space (Queen are the first band i ever got into at 8yrs old, very rare did they dissapoint with Freddie , now after Freddie died, i dont really feel they weere truly Queen anymore and somethings they did afterwards are better left forgotten)

Flash soundtrack is great.

Doc_Drop

^^Yep

Bad Religion for me have been the most consistently good band over the last 30+ years (bar one misguided album)

Music, lyrical content, musical ability - none have floundered and they have released over 20 albums in that time. Truly one of the best bands of all time

KNT-Zero

I think Jamiroquai should be counted as well!

Every single album they released was pretty awesome, and it's not like they ever shifted their entire sound like many other bands...

Already mentioned a couple of times, but Foo Fighters is my #1 pick. Wasting Light was probably my second favorite album and I loved the documentaries and albums that have been born from those recently as well.

Otherwise I haven't seen Shinedown mentioned so I'd throw them out there too.

Lastly, I'll finish up with Zac Brown Band. I've loved everything they've put out so far.

Ullus

Hooverphonic

Consistently good even after getting a new singer. Let's hope the third singer is as good, or better.

Novocaine

Rammstein; every album is really damn good. I remember when Sehnsuct came out and thinking there was no way they would be able to top it but they did multiple times. Their most recent album is their best by far.

Rage Against the Machine. All 4 albums are phenomenal.

Same goes for Nirvana.

Light Hobo

Neo Member
Point taken on my Megadeth post... lol
dTPuf.jpg

But I'll counter with Sabaton.

Primo Victoria (2005)
Attero Dominatus (2006)
Metalizer (2007)
The Art of War (2008)
Coat of Arms (2010)
Carolus Rex (2012)
Heroes (2014)

I could easily listen to all of these from beginning to end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom