• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Barry Jenkins to direct adaptation of James Baldwin's "If Beale Street Could Talk."

Per Variety,
The project marks another high-profile title for Annapurna, which recently entered the distribution game after spending years as a financier. Kathryn Bigelow’s “Detroit,” which bows on Aug. 4, is the first movie under the studio’s new slate.

Based on the novel by James Baldwin, “If Beale Street Could Talk,” the story follows Tish, a newly engaged Harlem woman who races against the clock to prove her lover’s innocence while carrying their first born child. It is a celebration of love told through the story of a young couple, their families and their lives, trying to bring about justice through love, for love and the promise of the American dream.

Production on the film is expected to start in October.

Jenkins, who has wanted to make the film for many years, wrote the screenplay during the same summer sojourn in 2013 when he penned “Moonlight.” Since then, Jenkins has been working with the Baldwin Estate. Baldwin’s sister, Gloria Karefa-Smart, says, “We are delighted to entrust Barry Jenkins with this adaptation. Barry is a sublimely conscious and gifted filmmaker, whose medicine for melancholy impressed us so greatly that we had to work with him.”
Movie should be out next Oscar season. It's going to compete with Damien Chazelle's Neil Armstrong biopic too.

Ridley327

I'm sure the success of Moonlight sealed the deal, but awareness towards Baldwin's works has greatly increased since the release of I Am Not Your Negro, so I imagine that his estate has been getting offers left and right. I have nothing but high hopes for this project, but given the talent already involved, I have no doubt that it will meet and likely surpass those expectations.

Top Bottom