• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bathing and Sleeping with your Son.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tool

Banned
Hey Bogey, you're a Bogart fan huh? He's the epitome of cool. I can only imagine how popular he must have been back in his day. I'll bet he was a role model for young boys who wanted to be cool.

ohamsie

I think cold turkey is the best route here. Just tell him that he is old enough to shower on his own. Don't make it seem like you are taking something away from him. Make it seem like he is gaining responsibility and your trust to do it on his own.

You can still remain affectionate to him and let him know that you still love him. Give him hugs now and then, be there for him emotionally, stuff like that. But coddling him the way you are now is going to stunt his developmental growth in the long run, and you don't want that. You've got to be all about the tough love now.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Catalyst said:
So if I'm to take you seriously, trying to see it from your sick-as-mother-fucking-fuck point of view...Just tell him it's time to become and man and show him how to shave (his face!). Tell him you can't bathe or sleep together, and it's just a step in life he must understand. Then go throw a football (fully clothed). Go hiking out in the woods (preferably a bit cold, so you can stay clothed). Then, be seen in public together, without holding his hand, and play Nintendo at Gamestop or EBgames with him...fully clothed. Buy him Grand Theft Auto. Watch Fight Club. Read him Genesis.

You need to reverse this shit, dude. Seriously. Anything.

And...start doing things as a family.

Or maybe you've got issues with nudity?

Ah Beng

I would guess that if you are so comfortable with being nude with your son you and your wife must get up to some crazy stuff in the bedroom right? Could you speak about some of these things as proof that this is not a made up story?

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
RevenantKioku said:
Or maybe you've got issues with nudity?

He is contending for Olimario's spot of being the highest, mightiest, most righteous poster evar. Please Catalyst, post on how everyone should live again.

Sriram

Ah Beng said:
I would guess that if you are so comfortable with being nude with your son you and your wife must get up to some crazy stuff in the bedroom right? Could you speak about some of these things as proof that this is not a made up story?

How can they if he is sleeping in his sons bed.. The tension between you and your wife might have a negative effect on your kid and if she thinks its wierd then you should probly stop, she should have a say in matters like this concerning her son.

Diablos

Bogeyker said:
At what age do you feel a father should stop bathing with his son or sleeping with him in the same bed? My wife feels that I should cut the cords and this is causing us some tension. My son is 10 years old as of last week.
I hope to god you're just fucking with us.

Bob White

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

At the whole motherfucking thread!

YES!!!! Comedy fucking GOLD!

DCX

DCX
Well you should start making the transition soon. It's easier to deal with boys in this situation, obviously the string with girls should be very, very early! Every family is different and they deal with things differently. I have a friend who her husband walks around the house in underwear and they have three girls ranging from 3-9. I think it's not really healthy, but she doesn't think it's a big deal now, but does acknowledge that he has to change something soon, maybe wear shorts of something.

DCX

Xenon

My brother suggested to me that the best route to take would be to call a family meeting of sorts with my son and wife included. He feels it's the best way to ensure that my son isn't hurt or left feeling neglected if we adopted the cold turkey approach. He also believes my son would be more honest with my wife being present as she would act like a buffer. This way my son could openly voice his views but my gut instinct tells me that he won't want to entirely cut out all bathing and sleeping arrangements via the cold turkey route. I'm confident that our bond is that strong but now is as good a time as any to bring this out in the open. I figure that tonight after dinner would be the best approach.

Or it could end up like Chasing Amy... not good(this thread has to be BS)

etiolate

Banned
1a.jpg

"Dad?"

goodcow

scorcho said:
did anyone else get an erection just by reading the title?

son: daddy, why is the microphone spitting at me.
dad: it's alright boy. just don't grab it too hard and hum a bit more.

WTF?

:lol

3phemeral

Nudity And Your Child

Feelings about nudity vary from family to family. Exposure to nudity with siblings or the parent of the same sex is fine and probably will continue indefinitely in locker rooms and so forth. But, nudity with the parent or sibling of the opposite sex
probably should be phased out between ages 4 and 5.

Reasons for this are the following:

FIRST: Your child will soon be entering school and nudity is clearly not accepted there.

SECOND: Most families in our society practice modesty, so a child who is interested in looking at other peoples' bodies can get into trouble.

THIRD: It is more comfortable for children to learn genital anatomy from siblings and age mates than from seeing their parents nude.

If you are in agreement with these comments, then between age 4 and 5, begin to teach a respect for privacy. Stop showering and bathing with your children. Close the bathroom door when you use the toilet. Close the bedroom door when you get dressed
and suggest they do the same.

If you have any questions about nudity, consult your healthcare provider.
MedHealth.com

Auido Clip - WAV
Audio Clip - WMV
Audio Clip - RAM

----

Early childhood exposure to parental nudity and scenes of parental sexuality ("primal scenes"): an 18-year longitudinal study of outcome.

Okami P, Olmstead R, Abramson PR, Pendleton L.

Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, USA.

As part of the UCLA Family Lifestyles Project (FLS), 200 male and female children participated in an 18-year longitudinal outcome study of early childhood exposure to parental nudity and scenes of parental sexuality ("primal scenes"). At age 17-18, participants were assessed for levels of self-acceptance; relations with peers, parents, and other adults; antisocial and criminal behavior; substance use; suicidal ideation; quality of sexual relationships; and problems associated with sexual relations. No harmful "main effect" correlates of the predictor variables were found. A significant crossover Sex of Participant X Primal Scenes interaction was found such that boys exposed to primal scenes before age 6 had reduced risk of STD transmission or having impregnated someone in adolescence. In contrast, girls exposed to primal scenes before age 6 had increased risk of STD transmission or having become pregnant. A number of main effect trends in the data (nonsignificant at p < 0.05, following the Bonferonni correction) linked exposure to nudity and exposure to primal scenes with beneficial outcomes. However, a number of these findings were mediated by sex of participant interactions showing that the effects were attenuated or absent for girls. All effects were independent of family stability, pathology, or child-rearing ideology; sex of participant; SES; and beliefs and attitudes toward sexuality. Limitations of the data and of long-term regression studies in general are discussed, and the sex of participant interactions are interpreted speculatively. It is suggested that pervasive beliefs in the harmfulness of the predictor variables are exaggerated.

PMID: 9681119 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Early childhood exposure to parental nudity and scenes of parental sexuality ("primal scenes"): an 18-year longitudinal study of outcome

-----

Recent findings in the literature address no harmful affects of childhood exposure to the parent's sexuality. Amazingly, exposure to parental nudity was found to be associated with positive not negative sexual experiences in teenagers. However, exposure to parental sex scenes has been found to have different affects on males and females. Male exposure was found to be related to lower sexual problems, while social problems were found to increase in females due to exposure to parental sex scenes (Okami, Olmstead, Abramson, & Pedleton, 1998). Children's sexuality is definitely learned from the environment in which they find themselves. The primary atmosphere of a child's sexualization is the household in which he/she develops.
Okami, Olmstead, Abramson, & Pedleton, 1998

This isn't nudity, though. He sits behind his son in the bath and rubs his back as a present. The "present" part is particularly disturbing.

Of course, he's lying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom