• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3: three themed expansion packs announced; 12 million copies

Kifimbo

Lock if old.

EA Rolls Out Three Themed Expansion Packs for Multi-Platinum Battlefield 3
As Fans Continue to Devour the First Expansion Pack, Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand, DICE Announces Three New Packs that Expand the Smash Hit with New Modes, Maps and Weapons

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Battlefield™ army is over 12 Million strong and growing every day as Battlefield 3™ and its first expansion, Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand continues to recruit gamers around the world with its dynamic sandbox gameplay and state-of-the-art technology. Today, DICE, an Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) studio, demonstrates its ongoing commitment to fans by unveiling three new themed digital expansion packs* that will enhance the superior Battlefield experience with fresh and innovative gameplay, new modes, unique environments and more ways to wage all-out-war on the battlefield. Powered by the Frostbite™ 2 engine, the next expansion packs are: Battlefield 3: Close Quarters in June, Battlefield 3: Armored Kill in the fall, and Battlefield 3: End Game in the winter.

“Instead of delivering piecemeal map packs, we’re giving players a completely new experience with every themed expansion pack to keep the action fresh. Our expansions are designed to excite our large and active fan base while attracting new recruits with gameplay that is dynamic and unpredictable every time.”

.•Battlefield 3: Close Quarters – In Battlefield 3: Close Quarters, players are dropped into a frantic, infantry-only theatre of war. Frostbite 2 high definition destruction makes the environment come alive as everything from furniture to plaster gets shot to pieces. Players will feel the intensity of the world exploding around them as rubble and broken pieces pile up on the floor, while tight level design and vertical gameplay create a highly competitive environment. Battlefield 3: Close Quarters also introduces new weapons, assignments and unique dog tags to bring back to the base game.

•Battlefield 3: Armored Kill – Following the tight infantry gameplay of Battlefield 3: Close Quarters, DICE will release Battlefield 3: Armored Kill that ups the ante for vehicular mayhem as only Battlefield can do. Featuring new driveable tanks, ATVs, mobile artillery and more, Battlefield 3: Armored Kill also delivers huge battlefields for an all-out vehicle assault, including the biggest map in Battlefield history.

•Battlefield 3: End Game – The fourth expansion pack will ship in the winter but details remain tightly guarded

•Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand – Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand is available now for download for $14.99 or 1200 Microsoft points and features four of the most beloved Battlefield 2™ maps (Strike at Karkand, Gulf of Oman, Wake Island and Sharqi Peninsula), all fully re-imagined utilizing the power of the Frostbite 2 engine.

Patrick Bach, Executive Producer, Battlefield 3 said, “Instead of delivering piecemeal map packs, we’re giving players a completely new experience with every themed expansion pack to keep the action fresh. Our expansions are designed to excite our large and active fan base while attracting new recruits with gameplay that is dynamic and unpredictable every time.”

Battlefield 3 is supported by a robust, and completely free social platform called Battlelog that invites players to compete, communicate and play with friends. Gamers track personal stats, compare against other players and join a platoon in an effort to dominate the battlefield. To add to the competitive fervor, a fully integrated rent-a-server program for console players will be available for gamers to play online with friends the way they want to play in either private, public, ranked or unranked matches. For more information about these enhancements and future plans for Battlelog, please visit www.battlefield.com.

Since its launch on Oct. 25, Battlefield 3 has quickly become the fastest selling title in EA’s 20+ year history selling more than 12 Million units since release. Lauded by game critics worldwide for its compelling single player campaign, intense co-op missions and its addictive and world class multiplayer, Battlefield 3 has won more than 120 awards including IGN.com’s “Best Multiplayer Game of 2011.”

Battlefield 3 is available now in North America and Europe for the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment and PC.

For the latest news on Battlefield please visit http://www.facebook.com/battlefield, follow us on Twitter® at www.twitter.com/battlefield or sign up for the official Battlefield newsletter at www.battlefield.com. Press assets for Battlefield 3 are available at www.info.ea.com.

* Content and release dates subject to change. Expansion pack prices to be announced when released.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm happy to hear about the infantry-only maps. Hopefully they won't have ridiculous chokepoints everywhere.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Considering the quality of the maps in the game I wouldn't expect much from these.

Dabanton

Hang on June for the next map pack?

Oh DICE.

Also they really should mix up the map types a bit. A whole pack full of infantry maps?

facepalm

WTF! were not getting anything new until June?!?!

I don't need a new BF experience. I want more of the experiences I'm currently having with BF3 only with new maps.

It's like DICE is out to sabotage themselves..smh

Well i guess it is more interesting to play more proper expansions instead of getting just mappacks. But cant say im too excited about the first expansion :p More Metro meatgrinders?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Will buy everything day one.

OM NOM NOM NOM

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Considering the quality of the maps in the game I wouldn't expect much from these.

B2K's maps were okay.

Also no input lag fix for PS3 but announce new content! SMH DICE. :|

Sethos

Banned
Back in the day, people would be totally ecstatic to see new content released for a game.

Now people just moan if it isn't on a weekly schedule.

I quite like the idea of themed expansions. BF2's infantry-only Special Forces expansion had some pretty good maps.

I also like how they're referred to as expansions rather than DLC. Whether that translates to old-school expansion packs, stuffed to the brim with new content, remains to be seen.

I quite like the idea of themed expansions. BF2's infantry-only Special Forces expansion had some pretty good maps.

I also like how they're referred to as expansions rather than DLC. Whether that translates to old-school expansion packs, stuffed to the brim with new content, remains to be seen.

Well they are giving you new maps, new vehicles, and weapons with these packs. So they are like mini expansions.

That really is a long time. They release DLC two months after the game's release, but then we have to wait another 6-7 months for the next one? Thats kind of crazy.

If it means they aren't skimping on content, I'm happy with this approach. Anything's better than being given 3 new maps,2 "classic" repackaged maps, and then charged £10 for it.

desu

Sounds nice, but I stopped caring about the game. They are probably busy developing BF x (BC3) since patch support is mad slow and as pointed out, it will be 6-7 months since the last map pack on release. Will wait for 10$ complete edition with all map packs and all patches.

Back in the day, people would be totally ecstatic to see new content released for a game.

Now people just moan if it isn't on a weekly schedule.

It is rather sad that people froth at the mouth for overpriced DLC these days.

I haven't been keeping an eye on the BF3 "community" but I hope that most of their complaints are about patch releases rather than DLC.

Cobra84

3 announced expansions for a barely supported, broken game? I guess they don't care when they already have you money.

I prefer to think I paid 44.99 for Dead Space 2 and BF3 was the game I got for free.

That's one way to make me feel better about wasting my money on BF3.

docbon

"tight level design" sounds like chokepoints up the wazoo. hoping the new maps aren't a series of tunnels like the damavand and metro meat grinders.

Why are people hatin' on Metro? That's a great map. We need more infantry only maps too. Couldn't care less for the vehicle expansion, but an air combat only map would be great.

SadAli

Neo Member
I'm all for letting a game breathe before bombarding it with DLC but releasing the first set around a month after launch when everyone's still playing it anyway and then waiting seven months for the next lot doesn't seem to make much sense to me personally.

Still, am excited.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Battlefield 3: Armored Kill also delivers huge battlefields for an all-out vehicle assault, including the biggest map in Battlefield history.

And there I was crooning about wanting to play a map that was similar to Aberdeen. Now all they need to do is make a map like Invasion of the Philippines and I'll be content with everything.

Why are people hatin' on Metro? That's a great map. We need more infantry only maps too. Couldn't care less for the vehicle expansion, but an air combat only map would be great.

Metro is great when it's 32p and certain weapons are banned on usage. All it takes is balancing server side, unfortunately.

Enkidu

Metro is a great map? It's one massive choke-point. There is no gameplay in that map, it's just a giant meat-grinder. If you need an example on a good infantry map then play Karkand with vehicles turned off.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How is it broken? I am loving the game on PC....

Frag Rounds, Flashlights. No alt routes on choke point maps (sup not being able to get to the back of Seine first set Rush). MAV elevators. Destruction minimal for getting/punching through said chokepoints. Input lag on PS3. No patches since launch other than LOL B2K and fixing a few things (and a "nerf" to flashlights that still aren't nerfed and are a "I WIN!" button in broad daylight!).

Community starts to bitch.

EA: Well, shit, time to announce those new maps instead of fixing the game DICE!

DICE: LOL 'KAY!

BF3 Community: OMG GAME IS BROKEN BUT NEW CONTENT! WE LOVE YOU DICE!

Me: SMH.

Seanspeed said:
There's nothing broken about it. People exaggerate shit to no end sometimes.

http://www.doesbf3stillhaveinputlag.com/

Frag rounds on Metro. Frag rounds on Bazaar. Frag rounds on Karkand. Frag rounds on Caspian (less annoying but still possible to annoy). Frag rounds being LAV rounds in the hands of infantry.

Flashlights. Flashlights. Flashlights.

Attackers and defenders both having DIFFERENT out of bounds routes (In an attempt to "balance" and give both sides a chance to flank but it's stupid as hell since people will sit in those and you have no way of getting to them, sup Canals Rush first set and attackers are over the "bridge" near defenders spawn.

AA mobile mows infantry down in seconds and needs to be nerfed into the ground.

BUT! Two engineers with repair tools are able to keep the helicopter up against it AND numerous AA rockets hitting them to where they're just as bad!

Megasoum

Banned
SMH...

Here's another prime example of DICE not know what Battlefield (their own game) stands for...

If people want infantry only close quarter combat, they can go play MW. BF is about open space and vehicle warfare...

Top Bottom