• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC asked 253 critics to determine the best comedies ever made. The results are...

Impeccable list, GAF taste is fucking trash as per usual.

I personally would've liked to see Jackie Chan on the list, physical comedy is just as valid but never considered.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The larger list is all over the place. So many movies i personally dont think hold up and i like older movies.

Some have almost no redeeming qualities, Tootsie is garbage tier for example, may as well have Night Shift or Risky Business.

Tootsie was so bad, it was only the second highest grossing movie of 1982 after ET and got just a lousy ten Oscar nominations.

MisterR

Needs Blazing Saddles, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Young Frankenstein. They should all be easy top 10.

MisterR

does it make a critic just not cool if they include anything from the year 2000+?

great movies in the top ten, i just always find these lists weird, as if they are saying nothing that tops those movies has come out in like 30 years. idk about that

first one is 33. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (Adam McKay, 2004)

Things generally need to stand the test of time to be considered in these things.

wazoo

comedy is not tied to technical progress.

as time goes, the chance of a recent film to be as brillant as past films goes down with respect to the huge quantities of past achievements.

i agree that the ranking does not matter considering they only asked 10 films to each critic. asking 100 movies would have made the list stronger at the risk of less returns.

KingV

Even thinking about Spinal Tap makes me burst out laughing. If anybody has been wanting a sequel, then listen to it's commentary track.

The only thing I have ever seen that's even close is The Book of Mormon, which obviously isn't a movie (yet).

There is also Return of Spinal Tap.

It's not really a "sequel" but more of a companion piece. It's like Concert footage that has some bits thrown in between sets.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
There is also Return of Spinal Tap.

It's not really a "sequel" but more of a companion piece. It's like Concert footage that has some bits thrown in between sets.

The commentary is the best though, such a good idea, more movies should do this.

"Some Like It Hot" has to be in contention for most overrated movie of all time, shit is a bunch of tired "men in drag, teehee" jokes while Monroe drunkenly flops herself across the screen for like 2 hours.

Rupetta

Are these all British critics or just critics over the age of like 50?

The British critics actually had 7 films in the top 30 made after 2000, US critics had 2...also the global dimension further skews towards classics as per geographic region there were quite a few newer films in the top 10s but they were not shared taste across the board.

Galang

Banned
Comedies is pretty much the only genre I won't trust a critic for at all. It's a genre that's very hard to pinpoint and review accurately... the top ten is proof of that. Also just like with all these top ten lists across entertainment, they seem hesitant to include anything new because "reasons."

haveheart

Banned
No Freddy Got Fingered. List invalid.

I think age (of both critics and viewers) is really important. Humor changes with generations.

That list is way too anglo centric and focussed on art films. Great that they know Tati and Fellini i guess but the top 100 doesn't have a single french or italian comedy with Louis DeFunes or Bud Spencer in the lead...

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
That list is way too anglo centric and focussed on art films. Great that they know Tati and Fellini i guess but the top 100 doesn't have a single french or italian comedy with Louis DeFunes or Bud Spencer in the lead...

The list is US centric because the whole world watches US movies. Asian movie critics may never have heard of De Funes or have seen Bud Spencer & Terrence Hill movies, just like French and German movie critics may never have heard of Stephen Chow. But those Asian and European critics will certainly be familiar with the best that Hollywood had to offfer in the past 100 years.

BTW Do you think De Funes' gendarmes movies deserved a place in the top 100 of best comedies of all time? When Laurel & Hardy only got one movie in?

That's mostly cause of the critics distribution.

I stopped at 40 US critics and the scroll was almost still at half the page. There's 13 french ones.

EDIT: 75 from US; 21 from Uk. 38% of the list just this two.

"Anything that didn't happen to get produced during my lifetime is obviously irrelevant."

Top 100 goes from the 20's to 10's. Almost 100 years. What are you talking about?

wazoo

The list is US centric because the whole world watches US movies. Asian movie critics may never have heard of De Funes or have seen Bud Spencer & Terrence Hill movies, just like French and German movie critics may never have heard of Stephen Chow. But those Asian and European critics will certainly be familiar with the best that Hollywood had to offfer in the past 100 years.

BTW Do you think De Funes' gendarmes movies deserved a place in the top 100 of best comedies of all time? When Laurel & Hardy only got one movie in?

the gendarme series is far from being its top. i agree with your paragraph anyway.

and i am sorry but bud spencer movies ?

wazoo

yes critics focus on art films, who would have thought that !!

Ghostbusters was fun but how do people argue it being one of the greatest comedies of all time? I rarely see it brought up in greatest of all time comedy discussions. Top 100, sure. Top 50, even? I don't see it. There are so many funnier films.

Ghostbusters was fun but how do people argue it being one of the greatest comedies of all time? I rarely see it brought up in greatest of all time comedy discussions. Top 100, sure. Top 50, even? I don't see it. There are so many funnier films.

i never grew up with ghostbusters the way 80% of this forum seems like they did so i've never really seen the appeal

it's a good comedy

probably wouldn't even put it in a top 100 though

mxgt

Banned

It's not top 10 for sure but I'd rank it pretty highly personally, it fits my style of humour really well. I just love dry, sarcastic stuff.

Meier

No Coming to America is a bit shocking to me.

My two faves (Big Lebowski and Best In Show) are featured so all is good.

kruis

the gendarme series is far from being its top. i agree with your paragraph anyway.

and i am sorry but bud spencer movies ?

They'd not be in my personal top 500 of best comedies. I loved them when I was ten and I would laugh each time at the same joke: Bud Spencer hitting bad guys on the head. De Funes' weakness is that he always plays the same character in all his movies, but there were actual good jokes in his movies. This particular scene in which De Funes' character repeats recipe to a number of german soldiers is genius.

Rupetta

No Coming to America is a bit shocking to me.

Coming to America was top 50 for critics from South and Central America, one of the Brazilian critics had it listed as 1st.

I think one thing people forget is that each critic only listed their top 10, not top 100 which actually explains a lot of omissions.

Top Bottom